Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i went to an orthodox service today and a goon handed me some bread, am i orthodox now? i ate the bread

e: also i am very disappointed because my dad said orthodox services were hours and hours long and this was clearly like 90 minutes tops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

No, that's the antidoron, everybody gets that,

:thejoke:

The Phlegmatist posted:

you aren't orthodox until you have very strong opinions about icons one way or the other

i'm for em

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

I cannot even deal with the level of aggressive American Evangelicalism at my cousin's wedding right now. Choosing Ephesians 5:22-33 as one of the two scripture readings during your wedding ceremony is definitely a statement in 2018.

this is not solely an issue of American Evangelicalism dawggg

Pellisworth posted:

I guess from my perspective there is a difference between ancient tradition and a deliberate choice. When you have a wedding ceremony in 2018 and specifically choose those verses from Ephesians, you're making a clear political point about how you perceive marriage.

with the caveat of "well those catholodoxers have different ideas about things" yeah, agree def 100%

quote:

You already had to go and pick terrible tunes to be played on piano and guitar, could you maybe not treat women like property and

GET OUT!! HOW ARE YOU INSIDE MY HEAD. GET OUT OF MY PERSONAL LIFE HISTORY

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 21, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my dumb rear end opinions aside, we really do, in this thread, perhaps at some point need to talk about the unfortunate and problematic treatment of women during many Christian marriage ceremonies

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

pidan posted:

Those pictures tho

it's me, posting in my favorite subforum, Your Creed Sucks

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

That's pretty much what my wife did last Sunday to Lutha Mahtin. I had told her how he described himself so I could meet up with him and show him the bell tower; when we got to church there was no parking so I dropped her and the baby off so I could find a spot and she goes up to him and says (verbatim) "Hi, I'm Slimy Hog's wife." Looking back at our text messages I'm still not 100% sure that Lutha Mahtin ever got my real name...

I did get your name, but I didn't hear what she said... I assumed she was telling me her name. This would explain why it sounded completely different when she introduced herself after the service :lol:

Also yes it's true, I got to climb up slimy hog's bell tower to see some serious ding-dong maneuvers

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i also restrained myself from yelling "AND THE SON, am i right folks?? westerners IN DA HOUZZE" during the creed

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I remember hearing that phrase, or at least similar phrases, when I was a little kid and had no idea what Catholic or Orthodox was. I dislike a lot of the vernacular people use to describe death, the afterlife, heaven, etc. so I guess it's no surprise that this one isn't my favorite either.

It might be a good analogy for kids of certain ages, I'll give it that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the thing i don't like when people talk like that is that i see it as being the humans still living who are putting their words and meanings onto an existence that none of them have any experience with. even if God appeared from the heavens tomorrow and told all of us "Christianity is correct and also the afterlife definitely exists" this still doesn't explain the mechanics of going from this life to the next, or what the afterlife is like. yeah a lot of churches have doctrine about this but when you get into super specifics like "oh its just falling asleep lol" the skeptical part of my brain starts tingling

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

zonohedron posted:

the problem we have is that every accusation has to be treated as if it were credible, and every credible accusation has to be treated as if it were proven, lest we look like we're "sheltering" somebody from consequences, right?

i don't know if you're being serious or if you're saying this to try and construct some rhetorical device that I'm not picking up on, but please do not talk like this. either way it is incredibly disrespectful to people who have suffered abuse, as well as to the many people who work tirelessly and without recognition to protect people from abuse and those who spend tons of their life's energy conducting fair and unbiased investigation into the worst situations you can imagine

i have worked for years in situations where certain clients of mine were known to have a history of making claims that they had been abused, but then these claims had never been able to be verified by police, human services investigators, etc. still we investigated each and every claim this person made, because it's the right thing to do (also where i live it's the law). we don't do it out of some sarcastic or cynical reasoning which I sort of take to be why you said what you said here the way that you said it, we do it because we believy people deserve to live a life where they aren't hurt by others

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is this really anything other than an attack from some guy who hates francis?
https://www.ncronline.org/news/accountability/former-ambassador-vigano-accuses-vatican-covering-mccarrick-scandal-years

quote:

Although the Vatican press office said it would have "no immediate comment" on the letter, released by National Catholic Register and LifeSiteNews early Aug. 26, at least several of its claims appear contradicted by the historical record.

McCarrick, for example, was seen celebrating numerous public Masses throughout Benedict's papacy and continued traveling around the world until the announcement in June that the Vatican had ordered his removal from ministry over an accusation of abuse that had been deemed credible.

Benedict also did not hesitate to act publicly when another cardinal, Scotland's Keith O'Brien, was accused of improper sexual relationships. In that case, Benedict accepted O'Brien's resignation and his decision not to attend the 2013 conclave that elected Francis.

Beyond his factual claims, Vigano's letter is laced as well with ideological claims about other Catholic prelates. He says one, for example, has a "pro-gay ideology" and that another "favored promoting homosexuals into positions of responsibility."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

on one side of my family, both of those grandparents were one of 9 kids. i had a lot of great aunts and uncles when i was little

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the vigano hit job is so sloppy it's almost funny

https://twitter.com/Americaeditor/status/1033836111766937607

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress off with your edgelord "I'm not touching you" bullshit

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CountFosco posted:

Battykiara - did you read Ecclesiastes?

the last time i read Ecclesiastes, I realized that the author should probably be considered one of the first goons in recorded human history

it's also an interesting book to read if you have ever known a stoner who likes to talk about philosophy when they're high

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Epicurius posted:

With Jesus, though, it's all "If somebody hits you, let him hit you again" and "Sell everything you have and come follow me" and "the world is coming to an end" and cursing fig trees and stories about shepherds and a guy with a crappy son who he treats great and a loyal son who he treats like crap, and saying that if you believe in God you can move mountains around and stop storms and heal sick people,, and you're like, "Look, Jesus, this is great, but do you have any actual practical advice about how I can live that doesn't leave me an itinerant faith healer who gets beaten up a lot and gets unreasonably mad at orchards?" And I know it sounds like I'm being flippant or disrespectful here, but I'm not trying to be. I get that if you're a Christian who thinks that Jesus is God then you pretty much have to figure everything he says is wise and of great meaning, but for a non-Christian, the Jesus of the Gospels is pretty opaque and it's not really a guide to practical living.

the gospels kick rear end, actually

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Epicurius posted:

Except, I don't know how you build a society or a community around "love one another". I don't know. I don't want to make a big thing about this.

my dude, do you know how many revolutions have been made over those words? people have made big deals about it way before any of us itt ever came along

also i think the teachings of jesus are really helpful when it comes to society because another way to say "love your neighbor" is "quit being a dick to your neighbor". much progress has been made in my fine country, the U S of A, by rubbing assholes' noses in the consequences of their assholishness while quoting them parables that a child can understand. this was a major reason why slavery was abolished, why women are now (at least according to the law (most of the time)) considered to be people, and why we have made (uneven) progress in getting many minority groups to be treated like everybody else

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CountFosco posted:

He went from persecuting a religious minority to being a nonviolent evangelist.

i have big ole spidey sense flags going up when i read this sentence and im not 100% sure why

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Epicurius posted:

You realize, of course, that in the United States, at least, slavery was abolished by the Civil War. The love that Christians had for their neighbors didn't stop them from enslaving their neighbors in the first place, nor from slaughtering their neighbors over questions of secession and slavery.

maybe you're not familiar but it is a true fact that the abolition movement was very much intertwined with churches and religious people. saying "oh but slave owners quoted the Bible too" does not detract from this

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

lesswrong is an awful culty community full of with well-documented examples of harboring bigots and abusers. get that crap outta here

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 29, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

how bout i pray for you to knock it off with the passive-aggressive condescension

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah, it's really bad. in the past year or two a number of women have come forward detailing very gross sexism and abuse claims against prominent people in that community, as well as against rando dudes in that community

one must also come to terms with the fact that this is a community which believes that theoretical computer science wankery research is more important than feeding people who are starving now. lesswrong types are obsessed with ideas like Roko's Basilisk, which is effectively "Cthulhu, but for artificial intelligence wankers". These people believe that, instead of feeding poor people or providing tools to reduce malaria outbreaks, we should pour millions of dollars into researching the theoretical idea that there might be in the future an artificial intelligence program which takes over all computers jn the world and tortures all humans who didn't help it achieve sentience. I'm not kidding. this is an actual thing they believe and which they have used to secure millions of dollars in tax-deductible donations

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i would slightly disagree there pidan. while lesswrong might not be "filled" with bigots, some of their fundamental cultural practices allow such people to survive and flourish within the community

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that story is actually appropriate for this thread, as it would definitely get canonized if the yospos bitcoin thread ever assembled a Bitcoin Stories bible

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

iq has to do with things you do and accomplish. damning someone before you create them with nothing to do with the morality of their future deeds is the worst thing it is possible to imagine a deity doing

this is Double Predestination actually. and only a small % of Calvinists believe it iirc

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

gonna miss thos phlegms

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

crosspost :can: lol

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does anyone in here know of any games that simulate being a priest/pastor? Graveyard Keeper has given me a bizarre itch - I like the patterns of decorating the church, preaching every sunday, and so on.

And no. No. Hitman 2016 does not count.

i just posted rn to them that the only game i'm familiar with that sort of has some similar themes is Papers Please. to me that game captures some of the tension that pastors feel where they are pulled in multiple uncomfortable directions by different important stakeholders. for me it's also an interesting question having a parent who's a clergy because i got to spend hours as a kid being bored as heck sitting around watching my dad do pastoral duties

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Epicurius posted:

About, I don't know, 15 years ago? Even earlier? Somebody, i think an actual Lutheran pastor, wrote a text adventure where you played a Lutheran pastor. You got to do things like try to figure out a hospital's corridors so you could visit a sick parishoner, pick up your wife's dry cleaning, chair a meeting of the parish council, review fliers the youth group made to promote their event, try to find some candles you could swear were in the storage room, write your sermon, lose the game because you decided instead of writing the sermon you'd play just one game of Tetris.

It might not be the most exciting game, I remember when I was playing it, I felt horribly busy and stressed for time as I'd try and inevitably fail to get everything done in the day I tried to do.

this sounds amazing. do you remember the name or where you came across it?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

(Lutha Mahtin, I did lash out at you and I deeply regret it and am very sorry.)

i don't remember this and i feel no need to re tread it but have peace, my friend. i hope you improve yourself and get even better than you are now

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

but enough about my posting

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

He's 100% using 'pro-life' as a shibboleth for a whole set of strict tenants he's worked up in his head to represent Real Catholicism, which I suspect in the light of day look more like American Right-wing Politics as an ideology.

fun fact the reason Evangelicals in the US are super anti abortion is because an Evangelical culture warrior and a Catholic culture warrior teamed up in the 80s and they combined a bunch of stuff that one or the other of them hated. there's a big element of "i must remain pure and i hate this evil thing so all of life must be drawn into a Venn diagram regarding this topic where the circles don't overlap". everything must be one or the other, good or evil, day or night, dead or alive, etc

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Getting involved with them at all beyond, say, coordinating charitable works was a mistake, because their ideology has rubbed off in a huge way.

oh hey i guess now i'm posting from this direction but there are actually a lot of very fine and noble things within the american evangelical movement. same with catholicism in america

i think this idea that some evangelicals and catholics have that "oh their bad parts corrupted us" is a too-easy cop-out. it's really toxic because it allows the speaker to push blame for the awful Culture Warrior crap that has been going on for 3-4 decades onto a convenient Other while still engaging in it themselves. imo if one is going to make some tribal argument, the first thing one needs to be very sure about is that one can absolutely for certain say that my tribe is fine and the reason they are fine is because i have been vigilant. and this is really quite clearly not the case on either side of this tribal squabble

and the unfortunate truth is that ya'll hosed up. bad. gay kids and pregnant women killed themselves because they knew their culture-warrior evangelical or catholic families would have never accepted them. that is one of the more extreme examples, yes. but it's true. and many of the less-extreme examples aren't so good either

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i guess i was just reacting to a bad habit i see among american christians of absolving themselves while casting blame on other factions. i don't know how true or prevalent it is but it just sticks out to me as a bad thing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, we could go the other direction and discuss inerrancy in translation over two millennia...

this is a good comparison because imo both of these ideas really miss the mark. the point of the scriptures, liturgies, prayers, and all that stuff is not the thing itself, but rather how it interacts with the heart and mind of a person

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

one of the beads is some kind of steampunk frog...?

oh i just noticed in the corner it's apparently from some kinda anime game

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

j o b a p p l i c a t i o n s i n a c a d e m i a

oh man good luck. a few of my friends and family have suggested to me over the years "why don't you just go to grad school i bet you'd be good at it" and this is the reason i don't

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

does anybody disagree with me that maybe we can hold off on the demon stuff until we get all people food, medical care, and a safe place to live? i hold this opinion because otherwise I feel like even talking about someone being possessed is far too easily abused by people with power and agendas

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

In many non-Western cultures, the experience of the human person in a spiritual world means that the influence of spirits, demonic or otherwise, is an extremely important part of their worldview, even effecting their everyday life. My closest friend being part Haitian, I see this in his and his family's life. "An angel came to me in my sleep last night, and asked that I make a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Theresa" is a sentence his mother said to me without a hint of thinking it was unusual or rare. I find it uncharitable, then, to hand-wave away the experience of angels or demons, specifically because of how important it is in these cultures.

i find it a bit uncharitable that you are same-ing my post with people i've never met and a culture i'm not super familiar with. you have not established that your friend's mom and I speak about these things in the same way, therefore i find it inappropriate that you use this (in part) to tell me not to say what i said

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

saint deez? :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

lookalike mushrooms honestly scare me

related: who is the patron saint of mushrooms, and or are there any good hagiographies about somebody getting high as balls accidentally or like miraculously surviving a toxic mushroom