Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My dream MMO is whatever the latest kickstarter scam is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

What sorts of things are there to do in BDO, out of curiosity? I want to try it mostly because the Wizard class looks crazy fun

It will seem like your dream MMO because it has everything. Trade goods runs, guild wars over tax nodes, ganking, open world bosses, grinding, boats, underwater diving, hunting deer with a rifle in FPS mode, fishing, horse taming, etc etc.

After a while you'll discover the upgrade system and how it's tied to RNG. Not the nice sort of RNG. You get more rolls on the roulette wheel or rather have an easier time of it with cash shop consumables.

It's not too obnoxious but don't be misled by the B2P model - to be effective in end game you're looking at fifty dollars worth of pets to pick up all the loot, a thirty dollar costume and maybe another 30-50 dollars in inventory and weight boosts.

The pets are account wide, the rest is per character. Does that seem rather expensive? It is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

5 years from now Activision Blizzard will cancel development on Diablo 4 and declare Diablo Immortal to have been the real Di4blo all along.

I think it's a bit bold to assume development of Diablo 4 will even start.

Unless it's on mobile too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Old school controls are CTRL, ALT, spacebar and the cursor keys. Nothing else. No mouse input or anything.

I mean who can afford the luxury of loading a mouse driver in 640k low mem anyway? Certainly not with your Sound Blaster and CD-ROM drivers already loaded.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Here you go. A newish MMO (apparently) that comes out soon in the Western market https://www.astellia-mmo.com/home

It looks like everything we've all seen before. No I haven't played it and yes you can buy a hundred dollar founder pack. Knock yourself out.

*re-reads thread title*

Oh. Will there ever be a good MMO. Right. Misread that bit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ehud posted:

Lazy Peon looked at that game a few months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-N-typ8M4

it looks pretty terrible

That looks like the same interface in... uh... excuse me while I look this up.

Riders of Icarus! That was it. But with better graphics.

That game was thoroughly... a game that ticked the checklist of features but missing enthusiasm. About 5 years late to market.

Edit - I'm going to make a prediction: It won't set anyone on fire, it will launch and continue to exist in maintenance mode for years. You'll be able to play and with any luck might see 1-2 confused people levelling near you. Otherwise there will be 20-30 AFK whales in [city centre] dripping with cash shop cosmetics on idling mounts that are all on fire or glowing purple.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 23, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

DancingShade I un-ironically love your avatar.

Red text or nothing IMO. I love it too!

Only way it could be better is if it caused epileptic fits by flashing loud colors.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you get an endorphin fix from grinding and making numbers go up then I can see KMMOs being quite appealing.

Not saying anyone is wrong for doing so.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

They did, it was called Tera.

Tera did the combat right but the almost everything else endgame related wrong.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good luck playing Archeage without teleporting invulnerable hackers since it's all client side authenticaiton.

Unless that's what you specifically want to do of course, in which case Godspeed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

games workshop is dumb as hell because they should've got someone to make a battlefront: warhammer 40k. that poo poo'd print money.

Eternal Crusade exists and is terrible. It was originally meant to be a large open world competitive game but they didn't get the funding so it ended up being a clunky team deathmatch.

I played a couple games in alpha and went "gently caress I wasted my money" and never went back. Had it been an actual good product then it probably would have done a lot better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The original star wars battlefront games (the good ones) were definitely 3rd person.

Not my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMAf0iVDPp8

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I never played the Matrix Online MMORPG. Someone remake that but in HD so I can play it then complain about things like my leather jacket not reflecting the light correctly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Give it a proper modern graphics overhaul and Minecraft is the good MMO people are looking for.

No I don't just mean "God Rays". It needs that too obviously but all those character sliders from Black Desert et al and stuff like that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Why aren't there more good mmos out there? Also if the game isn't literally Everquest or WoW it's not an mmo by my byzantine standards which I refuse to detail or expand on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SweetBro posted:

Lots of reasons. The two big ones are cost and design. Cost is well obvious. The design issue relates more to the fact the biggest issue with MMOs is also it's biggest draw: other people. Creating a ruleset where thousands of strangers need to be able to interact with each other while still enjoying a core gameplay loop is actually really loving hard. Which is why most "good" MMOs just do the WoW/EQ loop, since that's one of the few rulesets that actually works. Most games that strays too far from those design principles tends to go down the shitter pretty quickly.

I was making a joke aimed at a certain poster the previous page who I didn't want to name. Joke ruined.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think we need to remove the other players to save the MMORPG genre, also the roleplaying.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

The Secret World was sooooo cloooooose.

Playing Secret World to at least the conclusion of the main story should be mandatory for these discussions since so much boils down to why don't they do X instead of Y? Where X is "unpopular thing I think is cool" and Y is "popular thing I think is boring".

Secret World probably already did X and it turns out that outside of a niche group it's simply not a popular design decision for good reason. Certainly not the key to long term financial viability.

But you have to actually get what you want to discover why you don't really want it after all. Hence people should play Secret World.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SweetBro posted:

I am incapable of understanding humor that doesn't involve potatoes, killing Nazis, seizing the means of production, or a Siberian winter. Such is slav life. My apologies.

All good. Nobody injured and if they were then neither of us know them. Time for a drink!

Toshimo posted:

The only thing that TSW had going for it was the story/setting. The mechanics at every single level were awful. But, god drat was it the raddest themepark you could slap an MMO in.

Pretty much. I loved TSW despite the gameplay by virtue of the story/setting. Examining it entirely on the core gameplay loop alone it was a complete failure.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Archeage was very mobile.

Black Desert too. Worse ships but better horse combat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

To me, a MMO describes a game with a persistent online world you can interact with others in that you can drop in and out of, a game where you join up with a few other people at a time before going back into your hub just feels like a game lobby browser with graphics, which sorta dampers the massive multiplayer online description to me

Yeah I was disappointed with Vindictus too. Nice combat otherwise I guess.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YES bread posted:

whats wrong with you man

We asked the super computer from The Time Tunnel for an analysis and that dot matrix printer hooked up to it has been going non stop all day.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It didn't help that Wildstar had a very polarizing art direction either. I thought it looked like cartoon vomit.

No I never played it but I did enjoy the threads both here and on reddit with people desperately trying to pump it up and attract new players.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I kept hearing about wildstar housing. Always thought if the rest of the game is so bad that playing with the barbie house is the best bit that's pretty damning.

I also remember the "dimension" housing in trion's rift. Did absolutely nothing for actual content or gameplay.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

im a dipshit, i picked up archeage unchained

There is only one good reason to do that and because I remember last time I salute you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Not every game needs to be for every gamer.

While completely true that won't stop a disjointed army of internet narcissists out there from demanding that every game developer conform to their armchair One True Vision of what every video game should be.

Especially that game you like and they don't but want changed to be like other game they used to play but not any more.

Toss 'em all a clip binder full of BASIC manual pages and tell them to go write a text adventure or something. It'll do them good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kaffo posted:

So, I was talking to some friends the other day about MMO combat. I'm sure it's been talked about in here somewhere in detail, but what even would be satisfying combat for like 1000+ hours?

Rock paper scissors with instant death on failure and 30 minutes corpse runs.

The real answer is whatever you can play while barely paying attention, drunk and listening to your favorite playlist of songs or podcasts. Anything that requires too much active attention won't make 1000 hours.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

That uhhh elyon game is I guess open for some people, does anyone like it?

Elyon: Infinite Realms is a bland kmmo. Did you ever play Tera and remember the questing expereince there? It's kind of like that but more modern. Still boring. Can't bring myself to keep playing it.

Source: Myself, with CBT access.

It's the same pie filling we've seen before with a fresh crust. I mean if someone comes along who has never played an MMO before in their life then perhaps that person will enjoy it. Could be thats their target market. Whether it exists in sufficient quantity is the question.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If I wanted to play Bass Pro Fishing Simulator I'd play Bass Pro Fishing Simulator.

This is also why I'm terrible at grinding mobs or whatever in any given game. Need a motivational reason beyond make number go up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got the invite to Bless too. They probably sent it to everyone who clicked interest.

I'm not downloading it. Never played any of the previous (five?) flopped Bless launches. I think it exists purely to sell whatever preorders or launch week stuff it can before shutting down ASAP and repeating the process.

Maybe I'll finally play Bless when it relaunches in 2030 for the fifteenth time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The great thing about wuxia mmos is every wuxia mmo is just like every other wuxia mmo except [product name] is totally different this time I swear.

Get your fun where you find it though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xun posted:

And yet we all still post in this subforum

We are doomed to repeat this dance eternally. Never shall we rest.

It's seeing the bear trap, knowing it's a bear trap, and willing putting our necks in the bear trap. We post about this and wink at each other as the jaws snap shut.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All this hand washing it stopping me from madly swiping my plastic to pay for more mmo preorders and macrotransactions. What moisturiser should I use?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everquest landmark reborn the relandening. Same as before only now its DX12 and shovels are microtransactions that break after you dig 500 lumps of dirt.

"Hey Sergei, let's see if we can sell them the same nothing twice!"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

I doubt it'll be Everquest 3 because that was basically Everquest Next, and it was canceled.

Bless keeps getting re-launched and re-cancelled over and over. Why not Everquest?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

EQ Next looked stupid so I'm glad it was canceled.

It wasn't all bad.

Just mostly bad. Those were max graphics btw.

Edit - for those who never tried it, alpha for EQ landmark was "Here is a barren landscape with no features, mobs, npcs, rivers, water, etc. Nothing but other players, a barren wasteland and an invisible zone wall. Go play minecraft with voxels or something.".

Not seen: body outlines drawn on the ground near the towers. I'd already lost interest from boredom and didn't put them in.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 27, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think I just want minecraft but with the graphical fidelity & character model quality of black desert online.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

sick custom title lol

The best titles are the ones someone else pays for. This is one of the longer ones.
(doesn't look as good in dark mode though but free is free)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd argue Lineage 2 looked better than Aion, graphically. Art style too maybe. Doesn't really matter now in the modern day though.

No idea what happened to official Lineage 3 so I guess that was a dead end of video games. Project TL by NCSoft? Maybe. Closed beta was 2016 so I assume nothing went well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tera Online is also the origin of many alienware memes. During launch there were actual marketers talking about their alienwares and how good they were in global chat. People didn't like that. Obviously observant folks realised that pretending to game on alienware was a free and ready source of angry comments in nearly any online game. Took about 10 years for that to run out of steam. People these days generally never take it seriously but you can maybe catch one every now and then.

If you're not sure boot up a mmo riddled with RNG and claim your alienware (that you definitely own) gives you better RNG because of promotional related coding. Tell anyone that gives you poo poo that they're simply jealous of your superior alienware, and that alienware beats a custom build every time because alienware is better. If anyone simply goes "lol" type "I'm sorry you're too poor to afford a good computer like an alienware".

It doesn't really have the same immediate effect it used to but you know, decade old at this point. Still you never know what fish you can catch.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 2, 2021