Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Zaphod42 posted:

But even then I think you could improve on tab targeting. If enemies had more knockback and everything was more based on arcs and ground-targets and facing mattered, etc. But that's slowly just morphing into real-time combat anyways. The lines blur.

Wildstar was kinda like this and I recall the combat being ok but everything beyond the basic concept of the combat was a trashfire so that poo poo died in record time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
One thing Wildstar completely botched was sound design, the aesthetic was all about these over the top characters with over the top weapons doing over the top poo poo, but the sound design was all generic bonks and smacks.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I'm stunned Aion exists at all in 2021.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

CuddleCryptid posted:

I could set my list of those mmos to the Animaniacs countries of the world song.

Go on..

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's difficult to really accurately state the level of freedom in UO to someone who never played it. No classes, no artificial restrictions on pvp (before Trammel), things persisting in the world until they decayed, wether that was a sausage or your very own mage tower. And every single freedom was metagamed to it's logical ultimate conclusion.

Someone pitching games like EQ or FFXI as free just makes my eyes roll so hard I almost pass out.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes but I already said all you have to do is offer increased xp or quest rewards if you opt in.

I hate having to repeat myself.

WoW did this but the success was negligible, though not nonexistent. That said, it might see better success in a game where xp isn't ultimately meaningless or if the reward is more focused on other meaningful rewards, like high value currency.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I'm semi-sure the absurd "cubicle crawl" scenario has to be some kind of hosed up attempt at teambuilding or whatever, but from the text it sounds like this poo poo was being done during business hours. On one hand I assume Blizz HQ has some night crew to the point where business hours is 24/7, and I've been on night shifts in businesses which are having office parties at the same time, but you do NOT let the party and especially it's potentially drunk attendees interfere with people working, jesus loving christ.

Like even the most generous possible reading would warrant massive action and the firing of a lot of the managment staff.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
NMS at launch and it's launch itself was a catastrophic farce of such magnitude it made international headlines as a poster boy of software bros promising the world with no ability to deliver.

What you have to give NMS credit for, however, is having the integrity to stick with the game and slowly making it playable, when most would just abandon the thing and start over with a new project, learning nothing. It's no FFXIV but my hat is off none the less.

Both of these things are objectively true and cannot be explained away regardless how much revisionism or negative bias you choose to apply. They hosed up. They fixed it.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Making an MMOful of assets is labor-intensive and therefor expensive as gently caress. What they're doing looks so sus though it has to be some kind of intentional cash grab before the whole thing burns down, as they have nowhere to go and they know it. And I'm guessing they're just planning to put all the money into a mattress or bitcoin or something Blizzard can't just sue it out of.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I did the latest FFXIV expansion's raid content raiding 2-4 hours per week, which felt about the correct amount of raiding for a non-NEET in their 30s, at that point it's not really much different from a weekly hobby and I somehow find time for those. That said though I only did what's called extreme trials and savage raids, which are the bread-and-butter hard 8-person content. That schedule does not include any of the 3 Ultimate fights currently in the game, which are particularly hard challenge fights.

On top of the raid schedule I'd spend maybe a scattered hour or two over the course of the week doing stuff like running the easier endgame content in pick-up groups or other poo poo for endgame currency, which would also generally bankroll me the small amount of gil needed to pay for raid consumables.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
FFXIV also has this thing where a player only some hours in to the game could also just open the Party Finder if they knew how, and find someone advertising their maid cafe, and go meet people there if you're actually looking to make friends and not just find a healer to skip 15 minutes of dungeon queue. Of course then you're making friends with people who hang out at a virtual maid cafe, but to each their own.

But the structure of the game and it's MSQ progression doesn't really lend itself well to organic grouping. The progression-required content is not usually sped up in any way by being in a group, so it doesn't really have any kind of driving force.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

I said come in! posted:

The MMOs today that are worth playing, all have communities that are too big to get to know anyone outside of your circle of friends / guildmates. You really will never see anyone regularly in like FFXIV, like you would in old school Everquest or WoW. Those MMOs, you could still build a reputation on your server, and you still saw people all the time while out playing, or in chat. You won't have that experience in these games anymore.

You say this, but I am starting to recognize a bunch of regulars from my FFXIV datacenter's clubbing scene.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
People with good social skills or some other source of popularity definitely had a significant advantage in those contained societies that were the result of smaller player pools. You'd get picked for the groups you wanted to get into over others not because you'd contribute more, but because you were popular. Much of this also came from just a blatant inability to quantify how good someone was, so as long as you weren't very obviously derping it, popularity and name-recognition was much more important to getting into groups faster.

I feel like more than anything the advent of poo poo like damage meters is what broke this paradigm. A lot of drama in WoW rose from popular people getting benched because their now quantifiable performance was too low and bosses would enrage.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yeah I think both are perfectly good examples of salvageable MMOs if you removed enough of the poo poo, though Neverwinter kinda suffers from having aged a bit and having too much direct competition. Meanwhile Star Trek online actually has some really unique stuff going for it and could actually be worthwhile with some TLC.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Anyone going into either Warframe or GW1 and expecting an MMO will be utterly disappointed in what is otherwise a pretty solid game.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
People pining over camping is why there will never be a good(er than ff14) MMO ever again.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Isn't that just literally PoE, though? Or like half the roguelite genre?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I don't know, for me any concept of discovery goes out the window the moment poo poo is randomized rather than handmade. This might just be a problem with me being a jaded old tech guy, but with any kind of proc-gen there is no discovery - the seams are all apparent no matter how hard you try to hide them and it literally doesn't matter what's behind the bend: I've already seen it anyway, it just might be in a new orientation. And that's fine for what it is, I like having a fresh maze with a new coat of paint to traverse as much as anyone, but to think it has some novelty of discovery is just absurd to me. Like your best case scenario is your algorithm hosed up and created some glitched out monstrosity, at least that's vaguely interesting and potentially funny.

It's the same reason something like Subnautica is such a sublime stand-out among the piles of soulless open world survival junk.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Anyone going into Lost Ark expecting a diablo-esque arpg will be sorely disappointed, or at least I would. To me arpgs have this signature feel of plowing through hordes of monsters to rapidly explore levels while scouring them of loot.

While the combat in Lost Ark is totally fine, kill times are too long and density is too low for an arpg feel. The loot is there but is extremely boring.

In the over world you're going from poi to poi doing the most generic MMO-style quests with extremely sparse and unsatisfying bouts of combat compared to arpgs.

Dungeons are much better in this sense, at times getting very close to an arpg feel. The combat flow still has some issues and the addictive feel of rapid exploration where maps flow into others is absent in one-off dungeons.

This is based on me playing the beta to like level 30, so obviously anything endgame is completely absent here, but if you go into the first 10 hours of Lost Ark expecting an arpg you will be disappointed and bored. If you go into it expecting a Korean isometric MMO, you will probably be pleasantly surprised and have a much better time.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Estinia Wyrmblood would be an excellent gimmick but if you ever make the mistake of entering Limsa you'll get flooded by the worst tells.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's not really complicated, the operative term is Massively Multiplayer. Sure, we can move the goal posts a whole lot on what we define as "massive", but to start somewhere let's say anything where less than 100 players can't engage simultaneously is not an MMO. So Diablo is clearly out. Without knowing what the channel caps of Lost Ark is, I'd say it's very much in. Sure you won't really get triple digit players engaging simultaneously in any way outside of idling in hub cities or doing world bosses, but that's not really much different from FFXIV.

Anything not related directly to playercount-per-map has nothing to do with the MMO part of MMORPG.

:goonsay:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Third World Reagan posted:

diablo 3 had a working auction house for real money

it is a mmo since more than 100 people could interact that way

By this logic every Steam game that at least drops cards is an MMO.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao the 100 concurrent players rubric would make baddlfield 2042 an mmo

But that's sort of just it, isn't it. The novelty of massively multiplayer is nothing like it was in the early years of the internet, and other games are now encroaching on the huge multiplayer experiences with much more focused game modes that usually put the large crowd content of MMOs to shame. Probably not Battlefield 2042, though. I heard that one sucked.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Don't get the boxers started, they'll chew your ear off.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

kedo posted:

Outlands specifically allows macroing, so a third party program does the grind for you while you sleep. They’ve literally built zones in the server specifically for macroing.

The real grind in Outlands is for gold/rare drops.

It's like they almost cracked the code that stupid grinds are dumb and need to get the axe, but didn't quite finish the train of thought.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Not gonna lie, pretty sure I could participate in the barely engaging idlefest MMOs of yesteryear like EQ or FFXI while taking care of my kid, and most of the time nobody would even noticed I had to step off for a second. Meanwhile, if I did the same in WoW I'd immediately get kicked and probably be on someone's blacklist.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
You can tell it's a bad, outdated MMO if it has vertical progression.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Not gonna lie if they just made WoW without everything being based on engagement metrics and trying to force you to play every day, I'd probably play it.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

NeurosisHead posted:

No one under the age of 50 in the US is ever going to be able retire anyway, might as well have fun in your dumb game before you're forced into homelessness in your 90's

Hahaha look at this fucker thinking the planet will be habitable when we're 90

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I get that it's far from being unfounded, but dismissing the XIV aesthetic as 'anime' in a world where we now have videogames that literally look exactly like anime, is more than a little reductionist.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

kedo posted:

It’s not that it just looks anime, the plot, character acting style/motions/emotes and sounds are all really anime as well.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I wouldn’t call it reductionist.

Honestly most of the things you describe is something I'd be more inclined to call Japanese acting/performance tropes rather than exclusively anime tropes. Like you can go watch old Kurosawa movies and see the same DNA on top of enjoying some really great cinema while you're at it.

That's not to say there are no anime tropes at all because there absolutely are and they're very frequent, but as a guy who specifically bounces off things for being too anime, I always get some Spock eyebrows when people say FF14, as a whole, is too anime to play. Like I can't enjoy Samurai for example because they just went full anime with it, but that's one job and I don't need every single thing in the game to be specifically catered to me, it's a huge game.

To me it's just like the people who won't play WoW specifically because it's a furry game rather than it's other myriad problems.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I guess I can kinda see the Ghibli.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
My favorite thing about Warhammer battlegrounds was that the xp rewarded was based entirely on damage done, which was then split even among the group. Except you could leave that group, and get none of it, but you'd also keep all the xp from damage you dealt entirely for yourself. So if you then played a broken AF class that did outrageously more damage than anything else, such as a Bright Wizard, you could be getting triple the rewards of anyone else on your proverbial team.

Half your team spending the entire matching just whining in chat how you were "stealing xp" was the icing on the cake.

Love some endgame capitalism in my midgame stupid fantasy game pvp.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Lifroc posted:

Dude, whatever kind of PVP in an MMOFPS works for me. I'm so loving sick of elves and gnomes and staves and mages, I want pew-pew in space, and no, I don't mean Star Wars.

May I interest you in Richard Garriott's Tabula Ras- ok you know what I can't even finish the joke.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
You can tell a company making an "EVE killer" has no clue what they're doing if their number one focus isn't the actual PVP of EVE: the economy and the logistics.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Lifroc posted:

What's the MMO CHAT consensus on it? Looks a bit drab, but these days sandbox, isometric and action combat piques my interest.

Which part of that trailer makes you think "action combat"?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ranzear posted:

My unposted joke was that autorun would be without rhythm.

The kind of jittery run that looks like rubberbanding but actually it's a feature.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
You also have to understand that Classic WoW is in no way, shape or form Vanilla WoW, and playing Classic does absolutely nothing to recreate Vanilla. Vanilla was a worldwide cultural phenomenon, everyone was playing the drat thing. People who never played any PC game before, people who never played any PC game since.

Classic is mostly, though not exclusively, played by the sweatiest the modern WoW community has to offer. In broad terms it is demographically the polar opposite of what Vanilla was.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
By contrast, I always hated having two dozen near-identical quests of "go collect/touch/destroy 10-30 X-asses" pop up whenever you reached a new hub, and unless you were under some kind of XP boost, you'd have to do everything if you wanted to level quickly enough to transition smoothly to the next zone. And I'm guessing most other people hated it too, considering how popular dungeon leveling became.

The FFXIV model, which takes you on a tour of all the important setpieces of the zone, then lets you do a separate, optional, self-contained zone-chain later if you want to delve deeper into the local worldbuilding, worked much better for me.

Some of the sense of freedom is lost for sure, but as an OG UO grognard that freedom was lost wholesale as early as EQ, and no half measures are going to bring it back. You either quit the genre, or accept that maybe the novelty of freedom was never as mandatory as you thought it was and you can enjoy games for what they are with less of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm sure we'll see it again soon enough

Place your bets on which garbagefire businessbro buzzword it'll resurface with.

My money is on Bless NEXT, because it's a buzzword that's already behind the times, just like Bless