Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New World put out a new trailer reiterating the 8/31 launch date. So maybe that’s mostly set now after however many delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

One might be me! I try a few times a year to really get in to FFXIV. I can sense that it’s a game I potentially could main, but I just can’t get anything to hook me before something else grabs my attention :(

Anno
May 10, 2017

Mister Olympus posted:

it's a real slow burn. best advice is really to treat it like a book and do it in chill-out mode until the hype sneaks up on you

I really like the world/story parts. I’m good at bringing my own fun to stuff like that. It’s more that the class/combat mechanics start off poorly and I can’t imagine them ever really getting much better. So I keep interest for as long as my enjoyment of the world stays ahead of how much I dislike the gameplay.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Xun posted:

Yeah unfortunately the gameplay mechanics take a looong time to come online. FWIW it does get interesting and difficult, to the point that I don't even want to PUG some extreme trials because so many people are unable to do the mechanics.

I just don’t think the game had a class that I can really get invested in. I like playing utility/buffing/debuffing type classes, which I think just don’t exist in MMOs anymore. I like tanking, too, but I’m really just over running the current conception of instances.

Anno fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 20, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a bit of a twist but if you look at the larger game you can "buff" with crafting more than other games because crafting is an actual class rather than a side activity, with the collection of materials having its own system and minigames.

Yeah the crafting and gathering professions are some of my favorite parts of the game. If there was one thing from FFXIV I’d make every game have it’s that. I wish there was more of a sense of going out adventuring to find rare materials to craft rare items, but maybe that does happen later. Either way I enjoy tinkering with crafting a lot.

Truga posted:

(every class in ff14 is primarily a dps)

I think that’s really my issue. Most abilities are tailored towards damage, but the rotations seem pretty straight forward, so there’s no real choice or variety in anything. Like if I could play a dancer that could be built to do relatively little damage but have a lot of options for powerful buffs and debuffs it’d be awesome.

Xun posted:

drat talk about buffers brought up lost memories of me wandering around in lineage 2 and seeing the buffers hanging around towns and I thought they were so cool :allears: sometimes they would throw me some low level ones for free

Hell yeah. The first time some random Druid in EQ gave me a SoW, some regen and a damage shield outside of Qeynos I suddenly felt like I’d ascended from a peasant to godhood. Suddenly I was very fast, killed stuff a lot more quickly, had much less downtime etc. It was awesome.

Anno fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 20, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

CYBEReris posted:

there's just not room in the design space that they decided on for the game

Yeah, I've kind of just accepted that's pretty normal not just in 14 but most MMOs these days. I hope someone finds a way to make utility/support roles, I dunno, "fun" or whatever, sometime soon. GW2 does a good job with it I think but that's about it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Truga posted:

see, that's my problem with gw2. when i'm doing dedicated healing, that also means i have to change builds if i want to do any damage at all

in good rpgs, casters are best at everything!!!1

You should be happy classes have a good number of build options! That's not a given, sadly.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I said come in! posted:

But the actual list of things to do was extremely limited. World of Warcraft is actually a far more fleshed out gameworld, and mechanically way more complicated and engaging.

My favorite thing about Everquest was just existing in that world, and the relative simplicity/opaqueness is part of what made that. There was less mechanical engagement with video game but that just meant it was easy to chat with people you were camping with. MMOs don’t tend to be super engaging in terms of mechanics anyway, so I’d sooner they lean more into creating compelling worlds. The reason I can’t get into any current MMO except for kinda GW2 is that the massive world they create is mostly wasted.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The chaos dwarf trains rule

Anno
May 10, 2017

Anyone else trying out the Lost Ark beta this week/end? Or just play normally through VPN? I kind of just started paying attention to this and it looks really cool? The overhead view is very appealing to me.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Getting from point A to be B should be fraught with danger, and when you get to B you should ideally have a store of supplies because you're going to be camping there for the next few weeks while you get a couple levels, because going back home is just as dangerous and takes quite some time.

Anno
May 10, 2017

bewilderment posted:

No I'd rather not have my game be a second job thanks.

I was being a bit flippant, but it’s not about the game being a second job, it’s about the world feeling impactful and there being actual stakes to something. MMOs these days have these massive, beautifully crafted worlds that ultimately feel very lifeless because nothing interesting or impactful to the game really happens in them vs. happening off in instances. There are already unlimited MMOs that aren’t like this, so I think it’d be cool if there was more than like three PvP-focused games that were.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Endorph posted:

i feel like what most people are talking about here is 'i wish i was 10.' like getting from point a to point b even in like, ff11 or vanilla everquest was never really fraught with danger once you knew what to do, the issue was just that nobody knew what to do because they were 10.

Learning what to do to not get into trouble was the satisfying part, though. When you were new to a zone it took a while to learn where the dangers were, how things pathed, where the harder named monsters could spawn. Eventually yeah you got used to it and it wasn’t as dangerous but in doing so you developed a relationship with the zone that’s hard to replicate these days. And even then you still had weird stuff that could happen, especially in dungeons.

And yes a lot of this is nostalgia for a time that can’t happen again. But someone could at least try to get half way there! When I try playing games like EVE or Albion I get a taste of stuff like this, but I can’t really click with the rest of their gameplay for whatever reason.

Anno fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 14, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

Alpheratz posted:

The players absolutely hated it

I loved it! Heart of Thorns is awesome. Barely any games, let alone MMOs, ever have any friction to speak of. Getting lost and frustrated in HoTs huge, too-dense maps then dying to pocket raptors was fantastic.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Judging by the accompanying blog post there weren't many other options.

quote:

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that Crowfall isn’t shutting down. The bad news is this will be my last Founder’s Update for Crowfall.

An interesting read.

Anno
May 10, 2017

PoP-era AAs were amazing. I ground out the available levels of defensive AAs (I think 3?) on my warrior in the same zone at the same level without any new gear over the course of a couple weeks and it was an amazing feeling of progression from “I hope we have a good cleric…” to “it’s fine we have a Beastlord for heals.”

Anno
May 10, 2017

30.5 Days posted:

What does it mean that perfect world just sold all their American poo poo, was it just not doing well for them?

STO/Neverwinter seem to be doing pretty well going by some of the investor material released this morning. I think PW just took a major blow with how hard Magic: Legends bombed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The various wings of Embracer Group meanwhile seem to be doing pretty well and fling money at seemingly anything going by the number of Titanquest expansions they’ve inexplicably developed. Seems like a solid place for mid-budget MMOs to exist.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I have like 2000 hours in GW2 and have cared about any of the writing for like 10 of them max. It’s just bad.

Thankfully everything else is very good and because of how the game is structured you don’t have nearly as much writing to slog through as other games with lots of “quests”.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Against all odds, Amazon has managed to launch two MMOs in the space of a few months that have attained the 5th and 6th highest concurrent user counts on Steam ever. Kinda wild. Hopefully they can work out whatever they want New World to be in the long term and find a good content release cadence for Lost Ark.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Striking out into the woods really does feel like circa 2000 Everquest in some ways. The fast travel and to an extent Torrent works against it, but it has a lot of the same adventuring vibes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I don’t know that I need more EQ specifically (though I’d like it), but after thinking about it for years now I think what I want from MMOs are for them to feel like an actual world and for there to be meaningful long-term resource decisions. Everything in all of these games now just feels so fleeting and temporary. There’s no feeling like a Druid running by your level 10 party in Crushbone or whatever and giving you all SoW and a regen because there’s no worry about your hit points outside of any given encounter.

Anno
May 10, 2017

There was plenty of risk just inherent in EQ. You couldn’t really avoid it until you were way over leveled/geared for the content. Nowadays you literally can’t take any risk at all because there’s no downside to anything, which is actually boring.

Anno
May 10, 2017

jokes posted:

Dungeon Finder is a good way to very quickly and easily be able to fully engage with “full-length” combat where cooldowns matter, and all that. If you’re fighting dudes in a field you’ll probably kill them extremely quickly and it gets very rote. And if you’re a healer, it’s not a good time. Tanks, thankfully, seem to have a much better time soloing nowadays.

However with a dungeon finder you can fully engage with group mechanics/dynamics and use all your poo poo.

That’s why this stuff should just be all monsters, not just in instances. Then you can go ahead and remove the instances and replace them with something more interesting.

Anno
May 10, 2017

busalover posted:

How succesful was the launch of the last GW2 expansion? I'm not even sure I saw someone playing it on Twitch. I guess it's out?

ANet posted that it sold better than the previous one over some timeframe and the game itself is doing very well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Sachant posted:

That said, most of the actual mechanical combat is auto-attack with the occasional spell cast or ability usage.

One of the actual best parts of EQ1. Just let me hit flying kick every 5 seconds or whatever it was and spend the rest of the time chatting.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 17, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hell yeah I'm all in on that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah the voxel look is way better. I actually really dig the current graphics. Only thing I’d really like to see are those huge particle bursts that so many EQ spells had.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I also hope they take a more (early) EQ1 approach to items. I really hate how generic items are in modern MMOs - I miss the days of getting an item and using it for literal years even as new expansions come and go. Even across multiple characters! FV rules as standard please!

Anno fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 20, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I don’t really care about top-end difficulty. I don’t want to raid or do Mythic+ or PvP. I just want the base game to have some semblance of challenge - it’s really hard to care about so much of the rest of the game when it doesn’t effectively mean anything to the content I want to play.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Idk if it’s really related to difficulty, but often my favorite part of EQ was scrambling to fix poo poo when things go bad. Yeah maybe you have a chanter but also maybe they get one-shot by their hasted former-pet Drolvarg waking up and now the necro is snare kiting some mobs around a room while the beast lord heals the bandaging warrior 150hp at a time and the druid is trying to med enough to refresh his root or something. A lot of classes had enough gameplay width to do whacky things when poo poo went wrong and you had a huge incentive to try and do them because a wipe is a huge pain.

Again, not sure where that relates to difficulty, but whatever it is is what I miss about MMOs now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I certainly don’t have as much time as back in college to put into an MMO, but I do have a good amount of it that I could be putting into modern MMOs and mostly don’t because they aren’t the kind of game I want to play for a long time. Like yeah I know I’ll progress more slowly than 20 years ago but that’s fine if I’m playing a game I actually like.

Anno
May 10, 2017

What’s up with BDO? I mostly only know it as the MMO with the crazy character customization thing, but I’ve heard it’s also pretty sandboxy in a way most MMOs aren’t now but also maybe P2W and always-on PvP. Maybe I should just pick it up for cheap and see what’s what. Apparently it’s also kinda grindy but I’m mostly fine with that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Third World Reagan posted:

The first parts of the game are ok to alright.

Character customization is good. Class customization, less so.

The game is about grinding to infinity with a exponential exp curve so you can get to like 1 level beyond the cap with no problem and have to grind your life away from the next 3 levels.

Is getting those levels the point? Or is it more of a novelty that happens to occur while you do other stuff?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I don’t recall reading as much about the Ghibli aesthetic being an inspiration for the game so much as some of its theming. I think they called out Princess Mononoke specifically.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm a sicko who loved how grouping worked in EQ.

:same:

Like I get all the downside, I just thought the upsides were worth it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Best AoE in EQ was bards kiting half of a zone and slowly (very slowly) chanting them to death. It was fun because it was basically “don’t mess up even once” or the huge train stuns you and instakills you.

Anno
May 10, 2017

That’s my experience with a lot of MMOs these days. I think it’s just because the moment-to-moment combat is so completely toothless and dull that it just doesn’t hold my attention.

GW2 kind of gets around it by making combat actually fun to click the buttons even if it is way too easy, and the non-combat exploration and movement is so fun. But basically everything else doesn’t have a lot to fall back on.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Maybe it’s just the way my class/weapon preferences have worked out but a lot of DPS comes from relatively few buttons. Everything else is adding in the other buttons in the right situations and staying alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gear seems very boring in basically every MMO now. If it’s going to be boring I’d rather the GW2 system so I at least don’t need to farm new boring gear to replace the old stuff.