Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

fuckin' lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Pryce posted:

I keep checking in on the kickstarter because it’s cracking me up. They keep saying the game is “cloud-based” and then also saying they need money for server hosting costs and infrastructure because “our game is entirely self-hosted”. So what do they think “cloud” means?

Between that and the NFT “mistake”, it made me wonder….is this a blockchain game? Is that what they mean by “cloud”?

The language in the Server Costs section is just gibberish, yeah. I wouldn't be shocked if this ends in crypto tears.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd say a proper Dune MMO it wouldn't just be set on Arrakis.

DuneMUD's been running for over 30 years if you want a proper Dune MMO

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Freakazoid_ posted:

Project: Gorgon is finally on sale for 75% off.

Like a lot of mmos it isn't good, but it's weird and quirky enough that I can justify burning 10 bucks on it to recover my old alpha account.

I got about 30 hours into that game and it was a fun 30 hours. 10 bucks is well worth it

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

an iksar marauder posted:

Ffxiv isn’t a mmo

I see you've chosen violence

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

kedo posted:

See, I disagree with ya'lls posts because helping someone recover a corpse or dealing with a halfwit group mate is playing the game and, viewed through a different lens, can still be fun. You still probably gained experience, some money, loot, etc, though it was surely less than you would have gained if you had breezed through the instance. The modern MMO paradigm rewards brainless grinding and group efficiency, so players view anything else as "bad" because it increases the amount of time it takes to get upgrades. But at the same time we all sit in this thread complaining about gear treadmills and the sorry state of modern MMOs. Getting new gear and making bars fill up is not fun per se, rather it's your crow brain saying, "yes, yes! more shinies!"

Sometimes going on a rescue mission to help someone get their corpse, even though it might mean less time in a dungeon, can actually be the more fun and rewarding experience – it's just not rewarding in the same way that a blue drop is rewarding. The dopamine receptors of most MMO gamers are so highly attuned to getting upgrades that anything else is basically ignored.

Take all this with a huge grain of salt because at my core I am a sandbox MMO gamer at heart, and I'd rather spend all night doing something that gains me no XP or loot if I have fun doing it rather than pushing through the same dungeon three times in a row just because.

Yeah, I agree with you. My fondest memories of MMOs are times I did stuff like hosting a free-for-all fishing party at my WoW garrison, or when I've gone entirely out of my way to rescue someone in over their head, etc.. Nothing that had any game benefit at all, but still rewarding on a human level. I certainly don't remember all the times the dungeon runs went fine and everyone wordlessly performed their roles perfectly, even though those were objectively the most materially rewarding times and what the designers incentivized me to be doing.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

The base game is the game. If you don't like that you're not gonna like it when you get to max level. People rushing to endgame and hating it the entire time is due to WoW brainworms

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Third World Reagan posted:

Can you pay for FFXIV and then pay to skip FFXIV story

yeah lol

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

If there's one thing you can be sure of it's that Square Enix is not going to pass up an opportunity to let people give them money. That you can waste it on a story skip doesn't mean anything with regards to the direction they're pushing the game.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

an iksar marauder posted:

I don’t want xiv to change because it’s clearly doing everything it needs to do right, I just want this niche genre of game to get some new additions who bring back the old style no/low instancing world. You can keep Limsa, don’t worry

For what it's worth, I get my fill of the kind of game you're describing through playing MUDs, which by and large are still designed that way. In fact, a lot of the people who made games like UO & Everquest & SWG were MUD guys to begin with.

It would also be really cool if newer graphical games used that design philosophy, but I don't know how likely that is to happen.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Cardboard Fox posted:

Wasn't there a guild that required all members to have world buffs before they raided MC or something? Killing Lucifron in 9 seconds instead of 14 seconds.

I know it's only the top level players, but man, that really killed the "magic" of this almost 20 year old game for me.

For me, I quit classic wow at like level 26 when I realized no one was really interested in the leveling experience, everyone just rushed to 60 and raid logged 2 weeks in. Here I am journeying to Wetlands to farm Murloc fins so I could craft that cool blue chest piece, and then I was like "what's the point?"

The world buff stuff got so degenerate that Blizzard introduced an item that would store those buffs to be activated later, because otherwise folks were just collecting a buff and logging off until a couple minutes before the next one was up, only to immediately log off again and repeat.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Alphinaud is under my protection

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

xiv has 3 factions so you can tell who the people who like being wrong are when they don't pick Maelstrom

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Kaysette posted:

Is the City of Heroes one still going? That was fun.

Yep! Homecoming is still going, at least, and still kicks rear end.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

If you really think WotLK was the best you could go play it right now on the classic servers. It, uh ... you might change your mind.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

uh huh

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

bandaid.friend posted:

Removing combat and adding more pie deliveries/hobbit hugs would only improve the game

This, except keep combat exclusively for the Minstrel class that attacks by shredding sick riffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

bird. posted:

Predicting people will trash talk brighter shores all year but it will be the only new MMO to come out in 2024 and everyone with MMO brain will play it for two months anyways lmao

I'm legit excited for it lol

I already like Runescape though, so more of that sounds gr8 to me