Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
This is a fun little game. My biggest complaint about it is the strange hybrid between self-sufficiency and needing to buy things. A lot of things can be made directly, but then you have basics like milk and eggs that must be bought. It's a bit strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Whaaaaaa--

You can break vases/pots in the dungeon with your sword, and sometimes they contain health potions! :psyduck:

And seeds! And scrap metal! And other neat stuff! Smash all the pots and break the furniture!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Haha okay, I noticed that after the ghost gives you the exhumation permit and asks you to dig up the body in the bottom-right of the graveyard, the one he;s likely talking about is in a grave with no cross or fence...but also has six white skulls. So, I just ignored it and dug up a body with only one white skull and two red skulls, and everything proceeded as normal.

Yeah, it's arguably better to just exhume the tutorial body since it's pretty terrible long-term. Hell, I didn't even exhume anyone to progress the quest - I just butchered a corpse and tossed it into the river.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

There are three machines for alchemy that break down ingredients. Each of the three non stacking organs uses a different one.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Aren't skulls +1 red + 1 white? Not sure if they changed that.

Edit: Apparently they did change it and removing the skull is a bad idea.

Embalming does get a little silly - adding 4 white and removing 3 red before extracting organs makes just about any corpse into an absurdly valuable one. I'm going to have to test it, but it might actually be worth removing organs that grant +red and +white skulls once you're at 0 skulls since negative skulls improve grave quality without needing tombstones.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 29, 2018

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Wait, one nugget gives 4 (5 with perk) powder, and each powder yields one reagent that turns into 4 doses of embalming fluid. Definitely doesn't require too much in the way of gold/silver?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Xaris posted:

When can I start getting Dark Brain stuff? I did the Inquisitor quest up through where he wants me to sell 5 gold hamburgs and 10 gold beer which I just did, and now he doesn't even do anything and doesn't list any further activities under NPCs. Did I miss something else to continue his plot?

Go to the Inn.

Yes, it's not telegraphed at all and is very arbitrary.

Edit: Bring 1 gold beer with you

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I got the innkeeper to tell me to hop upstairs to grab the mead recipe, but I am only at 20 opinion. I read something about selling him a package of meat to get +10 opinion - is that what people who got the recipe did?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

You can, however, repeat the quest to provide refreshments at the burning. 10 gold beer and 5 gold burgers gives 33 silver and some faith every week.

Up until the quest progresses and then the king outlaws witch burning.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

Is there any penalty for leaving dark organs in corpses and just sticking them in your graveyard?

Sort of, dark organs have something like 4 red skulls and suppress a white skull, so it's always worth extracting them to raise the corpse quality.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LLSix posted:

So the very first thing the town poet asks me, the Graveyard Keeper, for is to get him some paper. How... How... does he think I'm going to make paper?

He does let you know that the old astrologer sells the stuff, so he's really just bumming money and taking advantage of a new face in town.

Does make you wonder how many other people arrived here through car accidents though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

HenryEx posted:

You are just aallllways busy, there's so much stuff to do and in the pursuit of x you tend to lose sight of y until you suddenly remember and go full steam in some other direction.

Like, a character asks you for some gold-star burgers. Alright, time to cook!
Except you need gold-star onions for that. Okay whatever, time to grow some onions first. The farmer only sells you silver-star seeds though, so you need to make your own boost-fertilizer to get it up to gold rating.
BUT for that, you need a high-grade alchemy table! Which needs some complicated woodwork, so you need to upgrade your carpenter's bench first, and that means getting some more wood precessed. You also need advanced flasks, which means you need a furnace to make you some glass first, for which you need ash so you gotta first do your actual job as a graveyard keeper and autopsy/incinerate some corpses. Which is good, because the ACTUAL recipe for the fertilizer also requires even more ash, and other alchemic solutions for which you'll probably have to go out and collect some flowers or mushrooms for. Eventually.
But first, you need to grow and harvest something else, and compost the harvesting waste to get some peat as a base for your effective fertilizer! You might as well grow some wheat, since you'll need to eventually bake some buns for the burgers. Remember the burgers???
You then notice that you can't actually make the advanced flasks or your new carpenter's work bench yet, because you still need blue skill points to learn the technology first. Where to get blue skill points? Not easy... Mostly through doing your actual job, and interring people (instead of incinerating them like you did before, so more work), or more precisely, carving grave decorations for them. Time to visit the quarry to get some materials for gravestones?
Oh what, you don't know the quarry? Just take a week off and explore, find it, and then build a camp with important workstations on site, then come back to what you were doing.

Uh, what was that again?

It's also nice because almost everything that you do works towards some permanent improvement. The incremental progress is just that - progress. You are moving forward in tangible ways and laying groundwork to make future crafting either possible or more efficient

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Unless I'm totally blind, there is no technology for cutting down dead trees but they have a prompt when you try to cut them. What am I missing?

I think it's the big tree cutting tech.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I've got the Inquisitor at 75 and have now done 3 burnings in a row with burgers and beer. When does he progress to the Dark Organ portion of his questline? Is there something else I need to do?

Go to the inn. Yeah, there's literally nothing telling you to do that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Zombie juice and 10 faith. Zombie juice is also fairly cheap but you do need to get underneath the church and build the related alchemy structures before you can start. Soooo..transitioning from early to mid game? And highest rate is about 30% of your own speed, worst is ~2%.

Still doesn't deal with the dire late game grind all that well.

I'm playing around with them on a save where I'm pretty late game and they are nice. Some quick notes:

Porters more or less don't matter when it comes to quality - you can get away with a really lovely corpse for these guys.

A high quality woodcutter will basically keep you in logs permanently. You more or less won't have to go cut wood on your own once the sawmill is up and running. Veggies are also super convenient since you just need to use the fertilizer once and provide the appropriate level seeds rather than use fertilizer every harvest. Tearing out the old fields is a pain in the rear end though. The mining also seems to work decently well; even though the quarry is super far away, you can get 3 porters to run the slabs back and forth, and the miners will alternate mining coal and iron, so you get a decent amount of iron showing up as well. The automated crate manufacturing seems to be a bit bugged, but the automated crate moving is great, and you can manually operate the crates 1-2 times a week to make enough crates to keep the merchant going with a minimum of effort. The crane that lowers the crates underground to the porter area is amazing and probably one of the best changes this update brought.

They added the ability to add organs back into a corpse. This means that you can swap out lovely organs (ones with lots of red and few white) for organs with +2 white skulls on them! It's very useful when manufacturing high quality corpses. In addition to that, you can swap out the organs of your zombies, and even embalm them after creation, so you don't have to worry about not being able to min-max them when they're first created. Feel free to make them kind of crappy in the early-ish game and then as you identify good organs (pay attention to what happens to the skulls upon removal), swap in the good ones. Red skulls appear to have no detrimental effects on a zombie, so you can use organs that would ordinarily be underwhelming due to having red skulls on them. Oddly, you can stuff a second set of dark organs in, and those each have one white skull on them, so they can help to get the final skull in on a zombie.

There appears to be no effect for going over 12 white skulls on a zombie, so don't worry about getting more than that.

That all being said, I'd have to start a new game to really feel the impact of the changes. I think the game could use more sources of zombies in the early game, and that it would be helpful if the zombie juice required the faith to make so that the game could give you prepackaged zombie manufacturing early on. As it is, it's hard to get 10 faith in the early game, and part of the pacing involves using that faith to get blue points, so diverting that for automation seems like it might be counterproductive. On the other hand, a constant influx of iron, wood, or veggies is really nice, and it's not particularly difficult to beef up your undead minions over time as you unlock new autopsy and embalming technologies.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

zedprime posted:

Zombies are neat. My gut feeling is it isn't going to help you finish quests any faster absolutely. But they are a hell of a safety blanket for when you have the veggie crate broke brains like I do where in the middle of any quest I have an OCD feeling of WAIT DO I NEED TO gently caress WITH VEGGIE CRATES FIRST?

Yeah, getting a zombie porter to haul crates basically just means that you either build the # of crates you can ship from the zombie crate building manually or designate them to be built.

I just finished the game (with liberal application of cheatengine, mostly for a sprint key and to duplicate alchemy-derived resources since the interface for that is awful and mass production with them is hellish), and I found that having 2 zombies up in the workyard to run machines is incredibly helpful. Once you get zombies running the wood production, iron production, and stone production (and schlepping the resources around), you get a lot off stuff coming in, so having zombies process that crap for your while you sleep is great! You can also, later in the game, set up zombies in the quarry to cut the stone or iron without your intervention, though zombies don't benefit from your iron cutting perks as far as finding gold and stuff (nor do they find stuff when mining coal), so you might want to cut up the iron slabs yourself. Cutting up the marble and stone is very simple though! You can set a zombie on a single spot to cut infinite stone blocks and infinite marble blocks and they'll process it all for you (make sure to keep enough wooden wedges stocked up in the quarry though - they do go through 2 wedges/marble block). I actually ended up with about 600 stone near the end and had to cut off stone production (speaking of which, building lawns in the graveyard is a super simple way to beautify the graveyard cheaply once you have access to a lot of stone, and makes great filler while you amass more corpses).

Also zombie writers are incredibly useful. You need to keep them supplied with paper, but you can have them write books that grant 25 tech points each at the cost of 3! clean paper. The type is chosen randomly, and it seems like blue is slightly rarer, but the stations for writing are dirt cheap (ink is the only mildly exotic component). I'd go so far as to say that beelining the ability to mass produce clean paper using the printing press and creating a bunch of ghost writers is something that should be aimed for as soon as possible once the essentials are up and running since it makes unlocking new technologies so much faster. It's also kind of necessary when you're using tons of zombies since you won't be getting a lot of red points that you would have had otherwise from chopping up stone and wood.

Really a lot of the game now is getting to the point where you can make zombies, and then getting to the point where you can make enough of them and upgrade them. By keeping a close eye on the skulls, you can get to 8 white skulls fairly easily by mixing and matching organs (I kept a mortuary cabinet of organs that were known to have +2 white skulls by experimenting with removing them from the corpse - this works best with the surgeon perk and the upgraded preparation place). The skulls for porters don't really matter, but it makes a big difference for zombies that are actually running machinery. I think at the end I had 9 zombies in the quarry (3 porters, 2 iron/coal, 2 marble, 2 cutting marble/iron), 2 on wood (1 porter, one cutting), 6 writers, 6 farmers, 4 workshop zombies (moved to where I needed them), and one veggie porter.

Basically your day at that point consists of giving the workshop zombies their marching orders to make whatever you need for your infrastructure (or more wood chunks for cremation), and then loving off to the morgue to make better corpses or perform alchemy, with the occasional trip to the village for a quest or to pick up your crate earnings.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

So having just bought the game, I can't imagine it having been very playable without the zombies. Running around manually cutting rocks and wood after the early game seems like a loving pain.

e: re: corpse quality; removing organs like the heart, brain, or intestines have a random effect on red/white skulls. How does this actually work out when re-adding said organs?
Will removing and replacing a heart sometimes bring a net gain?

As mentioned earlier, each organ contributes some random amount of red and white skulls. Generally speaking, my goal was to remove organs to see what effect it had on the # of skulls on the corpse. For the most part, you're looking to keep the organs that when harvested remove 2 white skulls. There are two wrinkles to this - some organs not only add 2 red skulls, but also remove one white skull, and some organs remove red skulls and add 3 white skulls.

I don't worry about min-maxing bodies until the surgeon perk and preparation place 2 are online, since that seems to remove the failure chance. Getting 8 skulls by putting 3 good organs in and then removing blood and fat works well for making competent zombies.

Late game, after you unlock the perk to see the skull value of organs and unlock embalming, is when you really go all out on making pretty corpses.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

There isn't much point to stories though iirc? After I made my gold star combo prayer I didn't find any use for the tons of stories/chapters I have in my storage because the other prayers have so limited effects that you might as well don't bother

Yeah you can apparently make blue point books but that also stops being useful after the midgame. I really have no use for that myself. Dunno. Like a lot of things in this game are neat at first glance but fall of super hard eventually because the dev/devs don't do a very good design job

You get red/green/blue books in roughly equal ratio. Since zombies doing processing don't drop points, red points are more scarce if you use them liberally. The books are surprisingly useful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

OK - I finished studying the key but now he's not around, I guess I need to wait for his day to proceed?

I've worked out basic money making - Faith seems like it'll be the biggest bottleneck, I guess I need to start improving my church... Which needs more blue, which needs more faith.

Snake shows up the night of the Merchant showing up and leaves relatively early on his day, so it's best to get him in the night before he leaves.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you guys maintain seeds while farming? It seems like no matter what quality fertilizer I use, I lose seeds in the end. I wanna set up zombie farms for wheat and onions, but I'm worried about having to continually buy more seeds.

Peat will slowly lose seeds. Silver quality fertilizer will very slowly gain seeds and increase seed quality for crops with a quality. Gold quality fertilizer will increase seeds.

Note that boost fertilizer just makes plants grow faster and will not give more seed yields.

You can upgrade the zombie farms with silver and gold fertilizer and while I haven't done any major testing, I haven't had them stall out after upgrading them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

You can also just buy blue point books from the astrologer every week, which is I think 75 blues for 25 silver?

Related to zombies, what am I supposed to be adding to them to improve? Embalming helps but does adding more organs help too?

Remove blood and fat from all corpses. At most, internal organs can add +3 white skulls, but more commonly you can find +2 white skull organs.

Once you're set up with a low failure rate on organ harvesting, remove organs from each corpse and look at how the skulls change. Keep every organ that adds 2 white skulls and combine 3 of those organs into any corpse you care about. Either grind up or destroy the bad organs and then cremate the body.

Towards the end game of helping the Inquisitor, you can get a perk that shows all of the properties of each organ, which is invaluable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Soonmot posted:

OMG if I bugged out Ms Charm's quest again, I'm just done with this game. Vagner won't talk to me because I repeated the wine for stories quest too many times, and making the story myself bugs the questline. I'm going to give it a day, but otherwise rip.

Also: For those using random text generator for blue points, how are you getting anything close to a good amount? I've got that set up plus five furnaces for glass and I get way more making glass than hoping my zombie writes the correct type of book.

You just need to give her a gold story. Vagner's wine for stories thing is somewhat unrelated.

The super ultimate story she wants later is something different, and that does require Vagner and a much different drink than wine.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Awesome, thanks for that!

No problem! Also, for blue points the best thing to do is get the merchant stuff done ASAP until you can sell crates of goods. Then you will have enough money to buy both blue books from the astrologer every week.

You can also get good money with a combo prayer and by unlocking the Lawn decoration for the graveyard. Put lawns everywhere you don't have graves yet and you get a good amount of graveyard rating, which translates into more money.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Edit yeah my graveyard sucks because I've been doing everything else and just burning corpses

That's why Lawns are so great - zero corpses, just stone and peat. Makes for an easy ~300 graveyard rating without burying anyone once you unlock the left side of the graveyard.

You then just tear them out as and when you get corpses to put there.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tylana posted:

Also man. I'm not sure I ever got the people who really pushed the graveyard side of stuff. It's so little money compared to selling crops and crates. Getting the sermons powerful is nice, but also barely related. Would have hated gathering wood without zombies though.

Church rating gives more faith (5 rating per). Graveyard rating gives more income. Getting the grass early and covering both sides of the graveyard in grass gives substantial early game income every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Do remember that cremation exists nowadays as well. I believe it unlocks after tossing the first body into the river. Once you have cremation, you can simply burn bodies to still get credit for burying them. It's rough on your wood stocks, but once you get that automated, then it's an easy way to make a decent amount of cash and get some extra materials as well. You can even harvest all of the blood/fat/skin/etc. before burning the body.