Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've been running in Brooks since high school in the 90s and I am not changing for anything short of genocide, especially since they're so good for my flat as hell feet. No shoe maker is really "good" so whatevs.

Brooks Addictions are the best shoes I've ever had. And they not only work for flat feet, but they come in 2E width.

Also not changing for anything short of genocide/nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

hobbesmaster posted:

If you're going full procedural "gently caress you" the president of the senate can request the sergeant at arms to go "arrest" senators and force them to the chamber.

This was dumb in house of cards and would be even stupider in reality so of course it’s going to happen at some point.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

UFOTacoMan posted:

Trump: Hello, Bob.

BW: President Trump, how are you?

Trump: How are you? How are you doing? Okay?

BW: Real well. I’m turning on my tape recorder, with your permission.

Trump: Oh, that’s okay. That’s okay. I don’t mind that at all.

BW: I’m sorry we missed the opportunity to talk for the book.

Trump: Well, I just spoke with Kellyanne [Conway] and she asked me if I got a call. I never got a call. I never got a message. Who did you ask about speaking to me?

BW: Well, about six people.

Trump: They don’t tell me.

BW: A senator. I talked to Kellyanne about it two and a half months ago.

Trump: [?].

BW: She came for lunch.

Trump: Well, it’s too bad. Of course, you and I had a conversation a couple of years ago, and so that I think got you there a little bit. And we had a conversation many years ago, if you remember, in Trump Tower.

BW: Yeah, I do.

Trump: That has to be 20 years ago. And you were thinking about doing a book about me then, which is interesting. Who knew it would’ve been on this subject? Right? That was not in the cards at that time.

BW: That’s right. Well, I’m sorry, I . ..

Trump: I still remember that.

BW: I spent a lot of time on this, talked to lots of people.

Trump: All right. Good.

BW: And as you know and are living, we are at a pivot point in history.

Trump: Right.

BW: And I would’ve liked to have done that, and I maximized my effort, and somehow it didn’t get to you, or . ..

Trump: It’s really too bad, because nobody told me about it, and I would’ve loved to have spoken to you. You know I’m very open to you. I think you’ve always been fair. We’ll see what happens. But all I can say is the country is doing very well. We’re doing better economically just about than at any time. We’re doing better on unemployment maybe than ever. You know, I mean, if you look at the unemployment numbers, you’ve heard me say it. And we’re doing better on unemployment than just about ever. We’re having a lot of — a lot of companies are moving back into our country, which would’ve been unheard of two years ago. If the other administration or representatives of it had kept going, had kept — you know, if the other group had won, I will tell you, that you would have, I think you’d have a GDP of less than zero. I think we would’ve been going in the wrong direction. Because regulations are such a big part of what we’ve done, Bob.

BW: Well, I understand that point of view. And as you know, it’s also a difficult time where the political system and you and my business is being tested.

Trump: Yeah. Yeah.

BW: I take it very seriously. I’ve done books on eight presidents, going back from Nixon to Obama.

Trump: Right.

BW: And I learned something about reporting, frankly, Mr. President.

Trump: Good.

BW: I’ve got to go talk to people and see them outside of the White House and outside of their offices, and gained a lot of insight and documentation. And it’s — you know, it’s a tough look at the world and your administration and you.

Trump: Right. Well, I assume that means it’s going to be a negative book. But you know, I’m some — I’m sort of 50 percent used to that. [Laughter] That’s all right. Some are good and some are bad. Sounds like this is going to be a bad one.

BW: It was a chance missed, and I don’t know how things work over there in terms of . ..

Trump: Very well. We . ..

BW: . . . getting to you.

Trump: Well, if you would call Madeleine [Westerhout] in my office . . . Did you speak to Madeleine?

BW: No, I didn’t. But I . ..

Trump: Madeleine is the key. She’s the secret. Because she’s the person . ..

BW: Well, I talked to Raj [Shah] about it. I talked to . . . I talked to Kellyanne.

Trump: Well, a lot of them are afraid to come and talk, or — you know, they are busy. I’m busy. But I don’t mind talking to you. I would’ve spoken to you. I spoke to you 20 years [ago] and I spoke to you a year and a half or two years ago.

BW: A couple of years ago, I understand.

Trump: And I certainly don’t mind talking to you, and I wish I could’ve spoken to you. But nobody called my office. I mean, you went through, I guess, different people. ...

BW: Well, Mr. President, how can I spend all this time talking to people and — like Kellyanne and Raj and Republican senators?

Trump: Who were the senators? No, they never called me about it.

BW: Senator [Lindsey] Graham said he had talked to you about talking to me. Now, is that not true?

Trump: Senator Graham actually mentioned it quickly in one meeting.

BW: Yes. Well, see. And then nothing happened.

Trump: That is true. That is true. Well, that — no, but that is true. Mentioned it quickly, not like, you know, and I would certainly have thought that maybe you would’ve called the office. But that’s okay. I’ll speak to Kellyanne. I am a little surprised that she wouldn’t have told me. In fact, she just walked in. [to Kellyanne] I’m talking to Bob Woodward. He said that he told you.

Conway: Yes.

Trump: About speaking to me. But you never told me. Why didn’t you tell me?

Conway: [inaudible].

Trump: I would’ve been very happy to speak to him. All right, so what are you going to do?

BW: Well ...

Trump: So I have another bad book coming out. Big deal.

BW: . . . it goes on, and I . . . What you can count on is that I’ve been very careful. And Evelyn, are you on?

EMD: Yes.

BW: Evelyn Duffy, who’s my assistant, Mr. President.

Trump: Hello, Evelyn.

BW: She transcribed all the tapes because, with permission, I taped people for hundreds of hours.

Trump: Good.

BW: And I think there’s nothing in this book that doesn’t come from a firsthand source. Is that correct, Evelyn?

EMD: I believe that’s —

Trump: But are you naming names? Or do you just say sources?

BW: Yeah, well, it names real incidents, so . ..

Trump: No, but do you name sources? I mean, are you naming the people, or just say, people have said?

BW: I say, at 2:00 on this day, the following happened, and everyone who’s there, including yourself, is quoted. And I’m sorry I didn’t get to ask you about these . ..

Trump: I mean, you do know I’m doing a great job for the country. You do know that NATO now is going to pay billions and billions of dollars more, as an example, than anybody thought possible, that other presidents were unable to get more? And it was heading downward. You do know all of the things I’ve done and things that I’m doing? I’m in the process of making some of the greatest trade deals ever to be made. You do understand that stuff? I mean, I hope.

BW: Certainly, I understand and I would’ve loved to go through a discussion with you about NATO, because this goes back to early in your administration and your concern about it, and the agreement that the countries have that they would increase their defense contribution, what is it, by the year 2024? And you know . . . So anyway, we are . ..

Trump: Well, you know last year, if you see the secretary, [Jens] Stoltenberg, he said I believe $44 billion just last year, and that was from last year’s meeting. And this year it’s much more money they’ve agreed to put up. So it’s a tremendous amount of money. No other president has done it. It was heading down in the opposite direction. So I don’t know if you’re going to report it that way; probably not. But that’s too bad, but that’s all right, but you know, one of those things.

BW: Everything is going to be factual. And it is not a good thing for my business, if I may say this to you, Mr. President, to the presidency, or to the country, to not have real, full exchanges on these. And I broke my spear on it trying to get to you.

Trump: Well, other than Lindsey [Graham], who did quickly mention it, nobody mentioned it.

BW: You say Kellyanne’s there, ask her.

Trump: Nobody told me about it. Well, let me ask her. Why don’t you speak to Kellyanne. Ask her. She never told me about it.

[Conway takes the phone.]

BW: Kellyanne?

Conway: Bob, how are you? Hi.

BW: Hi. Remember two and a half months ago you came over and I laid out, I wanted to talk to the president? And you said you would get back to me?

Conway: I do. And I put in the request. But you know, they — it was rejected. I can only take it so far. I guess I can bring it right to the president next time.

BW: Yeah.

Conway: But I try to follow all the protocols, or else I’m accused of being somebody who doesn’t follow protocol.

BW: President Trump, I just want you to know I made every effort.

Conway: But you had talked to [former White House communications director] Hope [Hicks], right, who said no?

BW: Listen, I talked to anyone I could. [Laughs]

Conway: You talked to a number of people and they all said no?

BW: I talked to Raj.

Conway: Raj.

BW: He was going to work it out.

Conway: Hope. [Me?].

[The president says something in the background that is inaudible.]

Conway: I said you tried talking to everybody? What about when you interviewed, like, other people? They all said yes? That they’d try?

BW: Yeah, well, about six or seven people. I tried. And I couldn’t have — you and I spent a whole lunch on it, Kellyanne. And I said, I want to cover the substantive issues in foreign policy and domestic policy. And you said you would get back to me. Nothing.

Conway: Yeah. So, I did. I presented it to the people here who make those decisions, but . ..

BW: Who are the people?

Conway: But anyway, I’ll give you back to the president. And I’m glad to hear that you tried through seven or eight different people. That’s good. You should tell him all the names. [Laughs] Thank you.

Trump: But you never called for me. It would’ve been nice, Bob, if you called for me, in my office. I mean, I have a secretary. I have two, three secretaries. If you would’ve called directly — a lot of people are afraid . . . Raj, I hardly have . . . I don’t speak to Raj.

BW: Kellyanne is a . ..

Trump: I do, I do, and Kellyanne went to somebody, but she didn’t come to me.

BW: Well, does she have access to you?

Trump: And she should’ve come to me. She does have access to me. Absolutely. She has direct access, but she didn’t come to me. And you know what? That’s okay. I’ll just end up with another bad book. What can I tell you?

BW: It’s surprising to me that these people — did Raj have access to you?

Trump: Not really, but he would’ve been able to do it. But I have an office. You have the office number. I have an office that’s directly into my office.

Conway: [inaudible in background]

Trump: It doesn’t matter. Let me tell you what matters: The economy is the best it’s been in many, many decades. And it’s going to get a lot better. And the country is doing very well. That’s what’s important.

BW: Yes, sir. I thought I would . ..

Trump: We’re doing a good job.

BW: . . . never kind of say, let’s not talk about this because the book is done to a president . ..

Trump: Yeah, I know.

BW: . . . and, but that’s the position we’re in. And it’s one I tried to avoid. You need to know I made maximum effort.

Trump: All right. It’s too bad.

BW: Yes, sir.

Trump: I’m just hearing about it. And I heard — I did hear from Lindsey, but I’m just hearing about it. So we’re going to have a very inaccurate book, and that’s too bad. But I don’t blame you entirely.

BW: No, it’s [?] — it’s going to be accurate, I promise.

Trump: Yeah, okay. Well, accurate is that nobody’s ever done a better job than I’m doing as president. That I can tell you. So that’s . . . And that’s the way a lot of people feel that know what’s going on, and you’ll see that over the years. But a lot of people feel that, Bob.

BW: I believe in our country, and because you’re our president, I wish you good luck.

Trump: Okay. Thank you very much, Bob. I appreciate it. Bye.

[Call ends]

[Recording ends]

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If Trump does get impeached, is there any kind of mechanism to undo his appointments?

The Senate also has the power to impeach judges. But its never been done because thanks to :decorum: the ones who get caught just step down quietly.

I hope they instead pass a law that the supreme court is now 7 seats and the two most recent appointments are no longer on it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/AlisonNBCBoston/status/1037148537572806656

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1037148444681531392

:kheldragar:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I vote we take the difference out of the C level net worth. And then we take the rest. :commissar:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

mods changed my name posted:

Avenattis platform seems ok with me so far, not sure why everyone hates him so much

Edit: at worst you can say he's being opportunistic as hell

Because he's a rich white lawyer

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

How_to_get_Secret_Service_called.txt

NO No no, you see he's saying that that is what trump could/should/will do to treasoners because obama wouldn't have the balls and trump just executes justice. You know, the american dream of being a Clint Eastwood esq vigilante?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Iron Rose posted:

What the gently caress.

This is the dumbest thing. Who even does something like this?

Someone who gets told to show a co-opted dumb kids game on national TV to inspire their white nationalist base and loyal Qanan fanatics.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Cop walks into the wrong house, cop shoots occupant thinking they're a home invader

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/D...impression=true

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Fallom posted:

Why was this treated as a disciplinary issue? Shouldn’t they have arrested her?

boop the snoot posted:

Every state has multiple definitions of murder.

Murder by cop (not murder)
Murder by white person (regular murder)
Murdered by a minority (super murder unless against another minority — then lol what murder?)
Murdered by an immigrant (BUILD THE WALL murder)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
To balance more sad news

https://twitter.com/RanttMedia/status/1037925202917818370
https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1038032402013011968

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It’s litterally and metaphically a black and white issue.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The plaid shirt guy who stood behind trump at the rally and got kicked out are covered on my local nightly news station. They were apparently random white guys in the crowd who were given MAGA hats and told to stand on the bleachers on camera.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Good morning world

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1038363814104891392?s=21

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
But its fine because there iss a difference between arresting someone for homicide and not charging them for homicide until the facts are found...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You know when someone gets mad at you for calling their friend an idiot?

Your mom is an idiot.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SquirrelyPSU posted:

If your domicile is in the Outer Banks, how do you not have a lovely shanty in the background that is your "Get out of Hurricane Zone Electrical Zone" somewhere in like Kentucky?

e: I mean you are going to be paying north of half a million for anything on the banks, this seems like a ridiculous oversight.

The bank will only give you one loan if that loan eats up three quarters of your combined income every year

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

I literally joined this forum for the hurricane katrina thread, it's about time I provided quality content.

Hell, my shed's even blue. Don't cry for me, I'm already dead.

The legend of the blue shed lives on. Keep the wifi going to keep the periscope up (as long as youre not dead)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Double check life and homeowners insurance

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah we already send way to many people to prison and its a terrible place. Trying not to go to prison is pretty much the same whether you're an innocent black man who can't make bail or a rich white guilty dude. poo poo sucks. Worse that the in most cases the guilty white dude walks.

but also Abolish for profit prisons. Abolish the war on drugs. Abolish ice. Gut/Abolish and rebuild most police departments.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

White privilege at work folks

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Is the joke they’re two separate dudes who just look similar? Idgi? Is one a criminal?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

aphid_licker posted:

Is more lumen = more eye damage or is that not how it works?

“A very energetic scientist from Brooklyn” posted:

They gave out dark glasses that you could watch it with. Dark glasses! Twenty miles away, you couldn’t see a drat thing through dark glasses. So I figured the only thing that could really hurt your eyes (bright light can never hurt your eyes) is ultraviolet light. I got behind a truck windshield, because the ultraviolet can’t go through glass, so that would be safe, and so I could see the drat thing.

Time comes, and this tremendous flash out there is so bright that I duck, and I see this purple splotch on the floor of the truck. I said, “That’s not it. That’s an after-image.” So I look back up, and I see this white light changing into yellow and then into orange. Clouds form and disappear again—from the compression and expansion of the shock wave. Finally, a big ball of orange, the center that was so bright, becomes a ball of orange that starts to rise and billow a little bit and get a little black around the edges, and then you see it’s a big ball of smoke with flashes on the inside of the fire going out, the heat. All this took about one minute.

It was a series from bright to dark, and I had seen it. I am about the only guy who actually looked at the drat thing—the first Trinity test. Everybody else had dark glasses, and the people at six miles couldn’t see it because they were all told to lie on the floor. I’m probably the only guy who saw it with the human eye.

Finally, after about a minute and a half, there’s suddenly a tremendous noise—BANG, and then a rumble, like thunder—and that’s what convinced me. Nobody had said a word during this whole thing. We were all just watching quietly. But this sound released everybody—released me particularly because the solidity of the sound at that distance meant that it had really worked. The man standing next to me said, “What’s that?” I said, “That was the Bomb.”

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Syrian Lannister posted:

Has anyone heard if they are planning on shutting down whatever nuclear generating plants are running in the Carolina's and or VA?

But they don’t generate profit when shut down? :thunk:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Yes I'm sure a government deciding a chunk of its debt doesn't matter will have no flow on effects

Thinking too small: nationalize all domestic property owned by Russian or Chinese nationals or their thousands of shell corporations :getin:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the fact he did and still does habitat for humanity since he was president gives him a pass from me, idc

Yeah, he's an old white dude but he's done enough good that he gets passed over by the mob so that he can die of heart failure a year or two later anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That sounds horrifying. And I just know it’s going to turn out to be caused by slashed infrastructure budgets.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

Brexit won't hurt banks at all. It will only gently caress the common people.

Maybe England will just go through it’s french revolution period a little late. It’s like puberty for a country.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

Subtext becoming text, &c. &c. &c.

What in the literal goddamn gently caress?

Entirely expected?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is pretty loving petty and despicable.

Go ahead and probate me, it's just proving my point t:mad:

Stop resisting

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Let the white noise be. It will find a happy median after a page or two. I agree with the no calling for vigilante justice on bad cops rule.

Feel free to hand out surprise sixers for egregiously poo poo hot takes though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
No thats actually Left

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

How is their lack of statehood a race issue?

The Usual

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Puerto Rico, Guam, and DC all need to be states soon.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

boop the snoot posted:

200 people vs 65 but how does that translate to electoral votes?

Well in this analogy if the 65 are from Wyoming and the 200 are from California then the GOP wins by continuing to destroy democracy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Not redacting sources and methods to own the libs

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The year 2177, Wasteland University: A grad student has to look through microfilm of video game magazines to figure out what an author meant by “That mushroom character in Mario cart”. Upon making a break though the lone student is confused, as mushrooms make up 90% of societies caloric intake, and screams out the name of the orange one in a curse.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Immanentized posted:

The Masochism elf gets struck again:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/19/trump-savages-jeff-sessions-i-dont-have-an-attorney-general.html

The most shameful and shame-filled aspect of this entire administration.

Getting hosed by the toad to own the libs communities of color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/1042382574440669185

Makes me angry

• Locked thread