Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sharknado slashfic posted:

Honestly, I don't know anything about the Handmaid's Tale other then it exists and I would have had no idea what they were protesting specifically. I still have enough brain cells left to figure out context clues though, unlike most people who still identify publicly as republicans. I'm also wildly out of touch with cultural trends though.

Fertile women being reduced to baby making sex slaves by a patriarchal racist theocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the reference to the election seems extra-pointed this time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

What if the person that wrote it is the duly elected Vice President

Then the election reference would be "they voted for ME, not you!" hence it seeming unusually sharp this time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BUG JUG posted:

It's Kellyanne.

too concise and coherent

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BigDave posted:

This is what makes me think it's Pence, or at least someone close to him. Pence might be the cousin of the Antichrist, but at least he has two brain cells to rub together. He knows Trump is sinking fast, and unless he starts making plans now, the GOP is going down with him.

That's why he had the article written. He's setting up the GOP so that the party leadership can take two steps aside and distance themselves just enough from Trump so when the poo poo hits the fan, they won't get sprayed.

Fearing for his job in that he fears congress will impeach him, that's an angle I hadn't thought of until now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Holy poo poo update your phone, charge your Fitbit, check your god drat facebook, mail, texts, and calls, edit or delete that picture, and oh hey you don't need to charge your phone solid power management buddy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1037883056252694528

I would say he is drunk but, he is a teetotaler

Peetotaler

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

What's the news on the author? Dan Coates seems to be suspect number 1

Given the only offense given any detail is the spy thing it's got a solid chance of being Coats, and if it is, props to him for working lodestar in there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

Something about how the cops have to let time pass for the investigation before they can make any arrests.

You know, just like if I shot my neighbor to death and then said "Oopsie Poopsie, I did a Shootsie" they wouldn't arrest me immediately.

If you can pass it off as an ND yeah they'll just be like "welp, good luck in civil court"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pantslesswithwolves posted:

^^^ how do people think they’re going to get away with poo poo like this? Do they just look at the numbers going up and lose whatever moral compass they had? gently caress, if I go buy lunch for my coworkers, you drat bet I’m getting receipts and making sure everyone gets their change because I’d hate to be accused of skimming off something as meaningless as that.

Also, next time someone’s whining about :decorum: you can at least say we’re not like Brazil and we don’t go around stabbing our presidential candidates. Granted this guy sounds like a jerk who’s aspiring to be the Brazilian Duterte but

:stonk:

Be fash get slashed

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrozenVent posted:

He’s going to recuse isn’t he?

He wouldn't have much of a reason to do so, he's unlikely to be nominated by trump if he was to throw the book at klavanaugh.

It probably would avoid the inevitable whining from the oval and any frivolous motions/appeals that come along, he might just to take the burden off the clerk.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/406252-investigators-looking-at-suspicious-money-transfers-after-trump

Understandably this was flooded out by hurricane coverage but I expect this to be one of those things that gets bigger real fast

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

boop the snoot posted:

Why do you think this gets bigger real fast?

The Buzzfeed article linked in there talks about how the feds started telling banks to do lookbacks on subjects of the OSC investigation back in 2017.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crakkerjakk posted:

Fauxton, are you the person who does money laundering investigations? If so, what do you think of that vox article I linked upthread about Trump's business being tied into the Russian mafia laundering money through real estate for the last three decades. Plausible?

More than plausible. Real estate in the US is a money laundering machine because the more money you have, and the more complex your business is, the more plausible your deniability becomes to the onboarding due diligence people at the bank. Yakuza money built pebble beach 30+ years ago, but now the West coast from San Diego to Seattle is being flooded, harvey-style, with cash from god knows what kind of human misery borne from the exploding Chinese economy.

Honestly I'm surprised Trump hasn't gone big on stuff like Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Armenian Power money (when it isn't derived from check fraud and credit card bustouts and medicaid hospice fraud) is really just Russian Mafia money with more tracksuits, and those guys are just crawling all over the place from the coast inland to like Rancho Cucamonga. If anything the lack of a Trump Tower Glendale is somewhat of an point against him being a Russian Patsy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

just what in the hell kind of voodoo doll poo poo did Mueller pull on Manafort to get that kind of plea agreement out of him?

debriefings without a lawyer, give up all his crime loot, plead guilty to two more crimes, stay in prison until it's all done, I don't doubt some of that is typical plea agreement language but waiving counsel and forfeiting almost all his poo poo seems like they called him on a garbage hand and then laid down a flush right in front of him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bird food bathtub posted:

My personal feeling is that the guilty verdict bitch-slapped him with a dose of reality that finally broke through the rich white guy bubble he's lived in. As soon as that was pierced and someone laid out how thoroughly Mueller was deep dicking him and the ways in which a presidential pardon wouldn't help him he ended up where any intelligent, non-megalomaniacal person would have started.

Yeah, I could see it being from the verdict, especially the later news that he was one dumb piece of poo poo idiot juror away from being found guilty on all of them and not on the fence at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Godholio posted:

There's got to be more to it than "we'll lock you up longer if you don't cooperate." Manafort stands a solid chance of dying in prison just on his initial convictions. Adding 50 years onto his sentence isn't much of a threat to a guy pushing 70.

It would be one thing if he saw it as a chance to go back to his ostrich-leather lifestyle after reducing his sentence but he forfeited a loving shitload of stuff.

Maybe it really is just a power move by the OSC to make an example of him to help guide anyone else weighing the decision to cooperate by showing what happens to people who don't flip early.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That's gotta be some kind of glitch. Then again it's Allegiant so maybe they saw it was a way to save fuel.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Can you loving imagine historians looking back on this administration's people in 50 years?

Just truly the greatest people

More corruption than the cabinets of Grant, Harding, Reagan, and both Bushes - combined.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EBB posted:

Given the context and the times we live in I just don't think this is the case. You are correct in that the symbolism is having the desired effect- even a couple weeks a ago that was just the OK sign to me and I knew not to use it around Europeans because it means rear end in a top hat. Suddenly it's something entirely different.

Man if they ruin my ability to give a thumbs-up I'm gonna be pissed.

Oh it still means rear end in a top hat

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Victor Vermis posted:

That's a great example of what I'm talking about, thanks.

Wait.. is the "look at the Ok-sign, get punched" thing now Black Twitter only? We were a bunch of white boys in the mid-90s when we started doing it. And as I said, I have friends who still do it. The context is clear: they aren't promoting white superiority. Jesus christ.

The photo of the cops throwing the sign down has no context to suggest its a "white power" thing. Again, I'm not saying that its never a white power thing. I'm saying there are instances where it isn't and yes, loving of course, context matters.

The context is that they're already in a number of overlapping at-risk demographics like being southern white cops/cop-adjacent with a right-wing bent to their social media habits.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

do you not know what context clues are? A bunch of cops wearing cammies that are masked up and throwing the OK sign en masse after making an arrest makes it pretty clear what their intention is.

Same thing when some dude with a poo poo eating grin is throwing it up while next to a politician.

believing there are shitloads of nazis crawling around is the first step to solving the nazi problem, so yeah while "hurr triggered lib" is sort of kind of vaguely okay not really at all describing that recognition step (but let's work within that logic for a moment) it's important to know what they look like and how they signal to one another so that they can be spotted, called out, and handled appropriately, like that fucker in the coast guard who got busted and taken off the florence response activities because he kept leering at the news camera before flashing that poo poo at the camera poorly disguised as scratching his ear or something.

A nazi without a soapbox is just a bitter isolated racist who's back to being afraid to show off his swastika in public.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sharknado slashfic posted:

I hope Trump is doing it personally

Yellow highlighter doesn't redact anything, and it's actually just piss - all over the docs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

M_Gargantua posted:

Not redacting sources and methods to own the libs

He did that during his first week in office when he got sources killed by bragging

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If I were Brown Moses/Bellingcat I'd intentionally amplify things that point towards no hostile cause and just treat it as a missing aircraft that absolutely was not shot down in any way

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

Never heard this, link?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/15/donald-trump-shared-classified-information-russia-white-house-report

It was in May, so I was way off on the timing. poo poo just blends together at this point.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LongDarkNight posted:

I just volunteered for 7x12 disaster duty. Waiting to find out if I get picked. I want that overtime and per diem.

If you do get picked, don't flash the rear end in a top hat sign at news cameras

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Immanentized posted:

The Masochism elf gets struck again:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/19/trump-savages-jeff-sessions-i-dont-have-an-attorney-general.html

The most shameful and shame-filled aspect of this entire administration.

This is the only passably funny Harry Potter analogy to come out of this admin

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

facialimpediment posted:

It's all done now, the dam broke because Trump now sees himself in Kavanaugh.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1043141682567499776?s=19

He goes through this with facts? Sexual assault accusations? "Radical left wing politicians?" All of the above?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bird food bathtub posted:

So Stupid Watergate is heading for Saturday Night Massacre 2? I'm ok with that as long as the ending is the same. If that poo poo goes down and Republicans shrug it off to pass another tax cut we're kinda mega-hosed.

They've already shrugged off a ton of other poo poo, I expect them to point to this breathlessly-reported scoop and say it's fine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BigDave posted:

Yeah, but a constitutional crisis to distract from a SCOTUS nomination hearing?

Isn't that like punting on 1st down so you can receive the ball in the 2nd half?

It doesn't really become a constitutional crisis if congress just kind of shrugs and says it's okay. If by crisis you mean the government becoming unmoored from the constitutional restrictions and responsibilities placed on the various branches, then sure we've had a crisis for a long time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Everyone knows

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lots of highly developed countries are seeing increased immigration from China, mostly people who made lots of money in the past 20 or so years and know the gravy train is rapidly approaching the end of the tracks. It's not anything to be afraid of for the most part but the capital flight means lots of money needs to go somewhere. That somewhere is real estate and it's putting the afterburners on gentrification in non-coastal metros like San Antonio, Minneapolis, Chicago, KC, STL, ATL.

That's not counting the ongoing and increasing usage of college exchange programs to channel funds into the US by marking a million dollars a year out as education living expense remittances for someone attending, like, Baylor or UM.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrozenVent posted:

3D printed gun dude got busted and extradited to the US already, in Houston jail right now.

Is this a second time or did you not know he was released on bail?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrozenVent posted:

CBC article is from last night. He’d run to Taiwan, he’s being held on 150k bond with regards to allegations of sex with a minor.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/3D-printed-gun-advocate-Cody-Wilson-jailed-in-13251168.php

He bonded out, though maybe he hasn't fled the country again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ROD STANDS FIRM, REMAINS IN POSITION

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

So, the GOP hired a female Prosecutor who specializes in Sexual Assault as Special Counsel to the Judiciary Committee.

Instead of calling her a Prosecutor or Special Counsel, McConnell called her a "Female Assistant"

Jesus, these people are dense

FEE-maaale

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/indivis_Nville/status/1044360813618876417

funeral scout

Fallom posted:

Nothing wrong with using female as an adjective. It’s only weird as a noun.

You could try feminine or womanly I guess but that’d probably be worse

How about just "assistant" or more appropriately "committee special prosecutor"

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: that was an oops

• Locked thread