Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Macaroni posted:

My kid played Super Mario 3D (the Wii U one) at a cousin's house, and now she wants a Wii U. They're stupidly expensive on the used market and there only seem to be a couple of games worth playing. Is there some equivalent Switch game I could suggest to her, or is there some way to play the Wii U version on the Switch?

There aren't any games that are quite like 3D World on the Switch right now. That style of coop mario gameplay in distinct levels has been very successful for Nintendo, so I'm sure we'll see that at some point in the Switch's life-span.

That said, if she just likes the platforming gameplay and doesn't care about the multiplayer stuff, Mario Odyssey is really excellent and I'm sure she'd enjoy it just as much.

Rayman Legends is also quite good and is cooperative, but it is a 2D game.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I just started in the application development field and have my first "project" to work on.

Already I've seen my boss claim he worked 30 hours on it last week, despite the fact that I did all the development so far. I'd guess his actual work output was between .5-1 hours. I get the feeling this is a pretty common thing in this field, but hey at least I don't dread work like I did at my last job.

Also I'm posting on these dead, gay forums instead of continuing to work so I can't complain that much I guess.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i mean yes but does anybody like anything about kingdoms of amalur

I like that video game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kingdoms of Amalur:

+ Really great world design
+ Fun combat
+ Cool monsters (but not enough of them)

- Everything else probably?

I wouldn't claim that Amalur was a "good" game, but it was entertaining enough for me to play start to finish. I think the biggest drive for me was seeing the new areas, they did a really good job of varying the environments and giving each one a lot of personality.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If I'm healing I almost always play Mercy. Her brain-dead mechanics fit with my overall opinion of healers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

al-azad posted:

I see Polygon finally got rid of their bizarre review process where the reviewer submits it to the editors who assign an arbitrary score based on how well the reviewer sold it to them.

Hahaha is this for real you gotta be making GBS threads me.

loving polygon man.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just reserved a redbox copy of Spiderman :cool:

I had a grade-school teacher who used to bitch at how my generation was all about instant-gratification. In hindsight she aint even wrong, that poo poo is great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is the Burt Reynolds thing like Chuck Norris in that people like seeing references to him because he's a meme and not because they actually like him as an actor? I'm not trying to hate on a guy that just passed away, it just kind of baffles me how much people loved his appearance in Saints Row. Like, I saw one guy say it was his favorite moment in the whole series when they revealed the Burt was the mayor, whereas I was left going "ok? Is that the whole joke, or?"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Are you saying Burt was a bad actor? Rude

No, not really. I think the only movie I've ever seen with him was Cannonball Run, which was not awful but had some rapey stuff in it that definitely did not age well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Given two scenarios, one in which a PR sounding VO is parodying overly politically correct corpo-speak and one in which the ID writers for DOOM are finally getting a chance to insidiously sneak their fascist views into a game trailer, I choose to believe the one that gets me maddest.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

UAC doesn't operate on the same scale as the corporations we know. They're like Weyland-Yutani, closer to a government structure than a business-organization. In that sense (especially considering the whole "demons invading Earth" thing is 100% their fault) it makes total sense to me that they'd have some kind of "life with demons" presentation for their employees on Earth.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ID is sending really mixed messages. Am I supposed to be a Nazi, or shoot a Nazi? Gimme a break here!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

babypolis posted:

lol goons like doom so i guess everyone will gloss over some pretty lovely jokes, cool cool cool

If I didn't have a powerful ability to gloss over lovely jokes I'd have a much harder time reading the SA forums.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

extremely online leftists often get very mad about inconsequential things in video games and other media due to their overwhelming impotence in every aspect of life that matters

Hard to fit on a hat but I'll take it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wait, you're saying the person arguing for the most negative interpretation in the most aggressive way actually has the least context out of anyone? On the internet??

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

babypolis posted:

i really dont see why its so relevant to the discussion of its sequel?

Because knowing how the entity from DOOM would and would not speak, in-universe, can help you determine when you should hate the UAC and when you should hate the writers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What are some short JRPGs?

I don’t mean “short for a JRPG”, I mean like 10-hour JRPGs

Nier: Automata

There aren't many, which is a shame. I've always thought JRPGs as a genre could really benefit from some shorter offerings. I've bounced off a lot that I've mostly enjoyed because I have other stuff I want to play and I don't want to commit 100 hours to seeing the story through.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mario and Luigi games also count for this I think, maybe they push the 20 hour mark a little more. Though they aren't what a lot of people think of when they think "jrpg".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I got one of those hats in Japan and dressed my cat up in it, let me see if I can find the pic

Ahahaha yessssss

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 12, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

*record scratch*

Haha, yeah that's me. Bet you're wondering how I got into this situation.

lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

To me it feels like Nintendo just decided that they could make a boatload of money by extorting their entire install base for some "small" fee. $20 a year feels like a designed amount that's just low enough that the average Switch user would go "well, this isn't providing me any real value, but I guess I'll pay it in the interest of convenience".

I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, but this is the impression I've gotten thus far.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Andrast posted:

Well yes, that is why online costs money on all consoles

The difference is, the other consoles, in theory, charge partially for the infrastructure they are providing. You're paying to support the continued updating and support for things like quality voice chat, party systems, community features, etc. Not to mention the monthly offerings with PS+ and Games with Gold.

Now I definitely don't want to make it appear that I think there isn't a better scenario where all console producers offer these for free, that would definitely be the ideal.

But yeah, it doesn't feel like Nintendo really HAS anything in that sense. Their online service is so barebones and the features that are there are crap, so I just can't justify it in the same way.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If Nintendo is listening, the one thing I would ask for, the single feature update that would make me stop bitching about paying, is easy to use voice chat functionality. If I'm going to be paying for an online service, I want to be able to actually talk to the people I'm playing online with.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah I don't think many things could "kill steam", but charging to use their services definitely would. EA would probably be salivating at the opportunity to get people to come to Origin, for example.

They just don't have the same leverage.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

:( I'm sorry to hear about your flat feet. What exactly happens with it that is so painful? Is it because the pressure is being put down on the entire foot instead of just the front and back? Is there any way to fix your feet or are you just stuck with special shoes/special inserts?

Think of it like a bridge with arched supports versus straight ones. One is going to last far longer than the other due to how they're designed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Monster Hunter GU on Switch is my new tired after work game. Not to fight crazy monsters but to do some necessary item collection and crafting as a cat. Spend the week nights watching a bit of Netflix and gathering, then hopefully when I'm rested on the weekend I get some spare time and I'll be ready to rock and roll against the big mons.

Collecting in that game is quite Zen, isn't it? I like to bring my Switch in with me when I'm cooking dinner and grab some herbs when I have breaks in prepping food.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't know anything about bridge building or why arched supports are better than straight ones

Basically what you said before. Arches cause pressure to be distributed to the outside instead of focused in the center. The other thing is downward pressure on the center of a flat structure will cause the outside edges to want to move inward which can also cause long-term damage.

This is all from my extremely layman's knowledge of how these things work so someone else could probably explain better.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I always pick Bowser in all the games I play. Simple choice because he's always the best, hits hardest, highest top speed, knocks people around like it ain't no thing.

His downsides are always like "well if you wipe out it takes longer to get back up to speed" but if you're wiping out as the B-man then maybe go back to playing as Toad :cool:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm currently on hold with gamestop because someone on the internet told me they'd honor Spiderman PS4 Pro orders from their glitchy website.

I hope you are all having better evenings than being on hold with Gamestop.

One of the girls from the gamestop hold "talk-show" just said rpg games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

RPG, in the context of video games, has long since ceased to stand for anything. They certainly aren't roleplaying games

You've rekindled my love for rpg games. Time to go withdraw $60 from the nearest atm machine.

edit: "It takes place during World War 2 which was such a...heavy time..."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Why does crash look like the dad from rugrats?

Crash, that's 144 peaches!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's shocking to me what people are willing to pay money for. I feel like if you went to anyone and said "would you pay $100 for 15 PS1 games" they'd go "gently caress no". But if you wrap it in another junky piece of hardware to clutter up their shelves, suddenly they fly off the shelves.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Poker has been replaced with a digital TCG. Collect all your favorite rockstar heroes!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Sometimes gaming looks small enough to fit on a cat's collar but then you look closely at it and its like MIB where you zoom in and there is another universe in there.

How big a cat though?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

House Fire Destroys Over 2,000 Games

This is gaming's Burning of Alexandria.

Was very surprised to see this wasn't about Jeff Gerstmann.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wow, seriously? Didn't they just have a major hiring spree a few years ago? You'd think they'd try to scale things back and take on fewer projects before shuttering completely.

I really want to know more of this story. Upper management must have been a cluster-gently caress.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

See, that's crazy to me. I don't know how far back they're talking about when they say these games didn't turn a profit (I assume TWD S1 must have, right?). But even if they're not going that far back, that means there must have been 5-10 game SERIES, meaning probably close to 50 episodes, that weren't profitable.

And it no point did they try to compensate or change their formula. They must have known they needed to shake things up for years, and nobody was willing to make the difficult call to try and right the ship.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

why is it good that a bunch of people lost their jobs

Well, you see they produced video games that I didn't personally like and therefore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The first Nolan Batman movie was aight, but loses a lot of its luster by the fact that the other two came out and were better. Dark Knight Rises is a pretty fun romp but you can tell they were going for "what if TDK...but more!" and it ends up being bogged down by trying to shove way too much into its run-time.

The Dark Knight though I don't think is overrated at all. It's an extremely good movie buoyed by a couple great performances and I am happy to rewatch it whenever the urge strikes me.

• Locked thread