Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got really excited because I misread that as Portal 3 and then I realized it was Postal 3, and then I also remembered that Valve doesn’t do anything anymore and felt silly for getting my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The PS3 game was right those webs need to attach to the sky

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fast travel can be cool dudes, just gotta think outside the box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7XjidN090

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man I remember when Ninja Warriors first came out at the UCLA arcade and a lot of the black students complained because in the game all the footsoldier enemies were black and the higher ranking enemies were white and had rifles

Did they change that in the console adaptations?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 5, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

IMPORTANT QUESTION: What form does the puff puff take in DQXI?

It’s not mind blowing but nobody should spoil this for themselves

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is this the end result of game companies hiring 20 year olds who never played an NES or Sega Genesis

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

i played the new bishi bashi with my friends last weekend and cooperative warioware is something I wish there were more of

Wait what new Bishi Bashi

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

it was a Japanese arcade cabinet with a copyright date of 2018... Bishi Bashi Channel i think

Maaaannnnn freaking Konami. They had this brilliant game and never brought it to the US presumably because they were worried it would be too weird for Americans... and then Warioware comes along

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

What is point press?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What are your platforms

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Donut county is $5 on iOS, should last 2 hours

If you haven’t played Journey yet it’s fantastic and should be another 2 hours

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

homeless snail posted:

its a little different cause bad undertale people don't break into your game and yell at you in real time because you're playing it wrong

Doesn’t the game already do that for you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you replace “ruin neighborhoods” with “gentrify” or “displace,” the raccoons in Donut County represent the white people.

Which I think fits better, since BK is destroying neighborhoods with a phone app that gives him prizes, and he gets tempted by the trash king with stock options, promotions and a health plan. The evil corporation is run by the raccoons.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 9, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

Do arguments like "she's not real" really hold up for these kind of situations?

Yes, because she’s not real.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sony’s been killing it as a publisher forever. Having good dev relationships is what helped them recover after the PS3 launch stumble.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
One of the worst things HZD learned from Tomb Raider was the slowmo when she makes a long but easy jump thing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rarity posted:

What happened with the EA thing?

I’m guessing this?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/09/08/battlefield-v-censors-words-like-nazi-and-white-man-for-some-bizarre-reason/#3533f83d67ec

I’m not 100% why either because the idea that they were censoring the word “Nazi” to not hurt Nazi feelings just sounds too stupid to be conceivable

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 10, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s hard to keep track these days I guess

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Now make one of Switch cartridges

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Haven’t used paddles yet. Anyone got hands on experience with them? The idea of being able to jump, turn and attack simultaneously is attractive and I feel like something that useful should be available on regular controllers

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Googled Valkyrie Drive and now I feel like I’m probably on some fbi watch list

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

chumbler posted:

This is the only good thing on the internet.

No, there is another...

FirstAidKite posted:

Look at this cat I just found out about

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

LawfulWaffle posted:

I have a ton of games at my disposal so I don't get invested in MMOs much, but it was your favorite game and then it was going to be taken away from you forever, I can understand getting a little salty about it. There's only a handful of MMOs that really last, and getting invested in one is a risk

Just don’t get into MMOs in the first place

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

The reviews I've read say that Lara still speaks english when you select that option, and the natives somehow understand her, and she somehow understands their language, even though she isn't bothering to speak it.

The ol’ Star Wars method

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey you might be a future switch owner just like me!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Capcom is releasing a beat em up collection!

That’s good!

No Aliens Vs Predators, however

That’s bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Having now seen all of MGS2, my assessment of Kojima as "interesting guy that needs an editor shackled to him at all times" feels more correct than ever.

He did have a story editor up through 3, IIRC, and 4 onwards the editor was gone.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Even if a game gets mediocre reviews, Digital Foundry will make sure you drat well appreciate how hard developers worked on it. I’m watching their analysis of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it’s filling me with the warm and fuzzies to see and be told about all the advancements in temporal antialiasing and light transmissiveness in foliage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Convexed posted:

What makes a good side scrolling brawler? They've always confused me as a genre. Like, how do you 'be good' at just mashing a button and walking forwards? Is there any skill to them?

For me, Final Fight is the perfect brawler. It has:
- super fast jabs
- great variety of moves you can learn
- freezes a couple frames when you land a blow
- enemy variety with wildly different behavior
- lots of temporary weapons with variety

Skill in a brawler involves management of hazards. You’re beating up some guys but you have guys sneaking up behind you, what do you do, turn around and attack them, grab the guy you’re punching and throw it at them, step out of the way, jump kick your way to a safer distance? Each might have an advantage or disadvantage depending on the positions of other enemies. You’re busy beating up some melee thugs, but a couple steps behind them some knife throwers are winding up to throw knives at you, do you run away, keep beating up the melee thugs or rush the knife thrower? You’re fighting a boss but are also surrounded by four of his henchmen, who do you attack first? It’s like that juggling problem of spinning several dishes.

Skill also involves your ability to detect behaviors and patterns quickly. When a new enemy type shows up you have to figure out how they attack you and what the best response is. One of the most evil things I remember from a brawler is in the first arcade Turtles game, when you faced off against Shredder. He would split into two Shredders. If either of the Shredders lost half their life, they would lose their helmet. Here’s where it became evil: the first Shredder to lose their helmet would automatically become the fake Shredder. Players would ALWAYS focus on the fake Shredder because seeing the helmet fall off would be wrongly interpreted by the player as a sign that beating that Shredder would mean beating the game. If you kill Fake Shredder, the other Shredder with the helmet still on would split into two Shredders again and you’d have to repeat the cycle. Once you knock off one Shredder’s helmet you had to start focusing on the other Shredder and make sure his helmet fell off too. At this point I’m not sure if beating either of two helmetless Shredders leads to victory or if the second Shredder whose helmet you knocked off is the only real Shredder who lets you win if you beat him, but I’d always play as if the latter was the case and it was a nightmare trying to keep track of which was which when both of them had their helmets off.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's really weird about Plastic Love because I fell into an 80's k-hole around Thanksgiving of last year and listened to it on and off since then

It started with someone recommending this song (can't remember if it was in a chat or forum)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLjNTTCVat0

Then I got 80's fever all of a sudden and started looking up DJs who do 80's remixes of modern songs
Tronicbox on Youtube

And then music "inspired" by 80's anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdDRL1ralAY

And then 80's anime songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py19HHCLdR4

Which ended up with 80's Japanese idol music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bNITQR4Uso

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I would like to know more about this toxic Squall x Rinoa business

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I’m pretty sure I had every other song nailed In terms of what real 80s song they were knocking off, but I’m drawing a blank on this one. Any ideas? Wham!?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That Vanille voice acting story cracks me up. I had a friend who worked at Cirque du Soleil a long time ago and he said the ringleader was a Frenchman with a thick accent but when it was showtime he put on an even thicker hon hon hon fake French accent

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

It's dipping back into that "people with gender dysphoria are dangerous maniacs" well.

I’d broaden this to say any sort of non-heteronormatives

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Isn’t shaped in logs; immersion ruined

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m fine with either 30 or 60, but I’ve lost patience for anything in the low 20’s

Something Digital Foundry mentioned in their Daytona video was that high frame rate tends to help old games age well, and I thought yeah, that is so true. I will happily buy remastered PS1 and PS2 games but much fewer PS3 games and I have a feeling I’m not gonna need to buy remasters of PS4 games.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 16, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s no “teaching spouse to drive”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

man nurse posted:

You're skipping an entire game because of a completely optional side content? And she doesn't even wanna invest in the story of 6?

Sever, my man.

In the Y6 demo they open with the ending of 5 where Haruka announces she’s quitting her singing career and professing how proud she is of her ex-yakuza dad. It sounds like that’s what sets off the events in 6. Is there a lot more that you need to know going into 6?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Donkey Kong was a bad guy from the 80’s. Donkey Kong Jr from the 80’s broke out of the cycle of violence and went through counseling and grew up to be the good one you see in Donkey Kong Country, and the new kid is Diddy Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That’s a good family.

• Locked thread