Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
number will always go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, Lin-Manuel Miranda is on the case!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

Does the insurance industry try to lobby climate scientists and meteorologists when it comes to storm categorizations.

crack

ping

*smiles blissfully*

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Weathergeddon 2020: Colliding Cones

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

lmao

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
brb integrating smoke into my upper atmosphere

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1304150383573434374

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Seems like Sioux City-Omaha-Lincoln-Des Moines wouldn't be bad options either, climate-wise. Just don't live too close to the Platte or Missouri rivers when springtime floods jump the levees.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

It's really cool when wondering if you have to evacuate just becomes a regular thing 3+ months of the year. "Oh, the leaves and air are turning orange, is it Potentially Fleeing For My Life season already?"

In 15 years that's going to be every season, everywhere.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Complications posted:

Most trees on the planet aren't going to survive the next 40 years. So we can probably expect some serious rip roaring fires and a fuckton more smoke with all the oncoming dead wood.

"During blistering heat waves and droughts, air bubbles invade their delicate, watery veins, cracking them open with an audible pop."

lmao literal crack ping

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Except for Hurricane Karen. Whoa, buddy, you better look out.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Weathergeddon 2020-

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

what happens when you invoke "P"

Inside the Gom Jabbar is the next 30 years of humanity.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

if the fish all die anyway we can dam whatever we drat well please (provided its not a glacial or snowmelt fed river system rip)

We will dam where we want! Deal with it!

- Floyd Dominy

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
hi gay i'm caridad

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

I still remember a maddening argument in D&D like a decade ago where there's this enormous freshwater aquifer in the middle of the country and an oil spill above it could ruin it all and some oil industry dude was arguing it's totally fine to build more pipelines over it and everyone who opposes it is an idiot who doesn't understand the energy sector.

that sounds like d&d ca. 2021 as well

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao rice doesn’t even need to be flooded. They just do it to keep away weeds and pests. So it’s an extra layer of stupid

i mean, all things being equal, is that better or worse than relying on herbicides & pesticides?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Punished Kamloops

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

When does lake mead go so low that the hoover can't generate electricity anymore?

Lake Mead level continues to drop, affecting power production

Right around the corner!

"The two-decade drought has pushed the lake to an elevation of 1068.5 feet as of Monday."

Real hurthling! posted:

this or next august depending

"In August, a federal water shortage declaration is expected, which would trigger automatic cuts in water usage in several southwestern states."

now entering: the cool zone

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
have i got a solution for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJ3LIA5LmA

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
:stare:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Weatherdammerung 2021: To bad about the Rootbeer

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3pCHd8PLs

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i'm a copepod

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
UPDATE: Woman Accused of Starting Fawn Fire Was Attempting To Boil Bear Urine to Drink

"Souverneva had been hiking to Canada on September 22 and was seen in the Mountain Gate community in Northern California, according to a narrative written by a Cal Fire officer. She was told she couldn’t be on the property by quarry employees, but kept walking.

She then became thirsty and found a puddle of water in a dry creek bed, but the water allegedly had bear urine in it so she tried to filter the water with a tea bag, the officer said.

“She said that didn’t work so she attempted to make a fire to boil the water. She stated it was too wet for the fire to start. She said she drank the water anyway and then continued walking uphill from the creek bed,” the complaint read.

Souverneva got stuck in brush and called the fire department, the complaint read. She was evaluated for dehydration and then questioned by Cal Fire authorities when she allegedly told them she tried to light a fire. Souverneva was taken into custody."

:thunk:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chief McHeath posted:

Also not enough raking.

I mean, the way he said it was his typical word salad but his point was valid.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Lytton is the town that burned to the ground this summer, right?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

haha broken jet stream goes hrrr

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
yeah i like turpin, etc. etc.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
a microburst of our collective future

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Diablorado

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the jet stream is a noose lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

that's the worst andy daly character i've ever seen

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think this "simpsons" show has legs

i'd give it 11, 12 seasons, tops

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
weatherdammerung 2022: so i started blastin'

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i would say this is starting to seem bad but that can't be right

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
105 in north platte sounds like a nightmare to me lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Hexigrammus posted:

Plants too. Last year I lost the first two plantings of squash and melons - first one to the lingering cold, second to the heat dome. This year I'm prepared. Just got back inside from erecting shade cloth over the beds. Shade cloth is like a tarp only there's holes in it to allow 20% of the sunlight to filter in.

edit: Don't have enough shade cloth to protect the tomatoes. If they go into heat stress I will be rigging an actual tarp over them.

That was me last summer from late June through August - watching the thermometers and running around closing all the windows when Tinside = Toutside. Kept the nights tolerable but definitely not frosty.

my tomatoes and cucumbers have barely begun to flower and they've been in the ground since mid-may. sucks.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
hm i would simply build a model that discards any data which makes me feel uncomfortable about the outcome

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
We Own This City season 2 will be a gritty look at Baltimore's sewage and wastewater treatment workers

Laterite has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
wahoo oo

heatwaves in london