Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Over Easy posted:

work in the early childhood education field gets sadder and sadder each year because by the time my kids get high school aged in about a decade they are going to be living in a turbofucked hellhole

at least I have had a good run and have worked through a lot of my anger and depression about the state of things (from suicidal ideation to simply smdh over the course of my 20s) but these kids are having their chance at a life, even a lovely one, stolen from them

shits sad

they'll have fun killing olds and eating their flesh.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im excited to have a little gator claus ornament on my plastic xmas tree to take my mind off the canabalism and privation of daily life

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my doctor recommends a coalnado every year to catch butt cancer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oystertoadfish posted:

chennai still doesn't have enough water; trains are making a four-hour trip every day to bring a trickle in. here's a picture of trucks distributing the water:

here's a recent article/audio piece

chennai's metro population, 8 million, is roughly the size of new york city. chennai's water supply seems to be in four reservoirs with a total of 11,057 million cubic feet of storage (theyre mostly empty right now). new york city's total reservoir storage added up to 43,000 mcft in the '20s and since the '60s has been about 74,000 mcft. that's the difference in infrastructure between a rich country and a poor country, i guess.

edit: there's a wiki page just for this water crisis. it doesn't seem to be getting updated recently

ny's water is also piped a hundred miles via aquaduct from a large watershed upstate whereas chennai seems to rely on monsoons coming and raining on chennai to fill their reservoirs.

they could have enough water if they could figure out how to keep sewage out of the nearby rivers that are not currently utilized but that ties into your infrastructure point.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

men think wiping their butts is gay and we all will die in camps next to them in swamp rear end conducive conditions

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hows hurricane season developing? any new storms of the century of the week?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jose posted:

typical american assuming that air con is standard everywhere and that buildings aren't built to keep heat in for cold winters

get a big fan

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

growing up my fam had one a/c and it was in my room cause i was a dumb kid and we only used it on days when it was 90 degrees inside
then my mom got central installed and now she wont spend a single second outside of it and thinks me having one window unit for my apartment is dumb.
boomers man

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

celcius is a plot to hide how hot it actually is with smaller numbers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sad how europe follows trends instead of truth

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Strep Vote posted:

F is best for temperature because at both extremes of the neat 0-100 degree mark is where you start to want to die, so it's just a percentage scale in most people's minds.

sorry that this makes more sense than celcius

i want to die at all temps

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

celcius is extremely good if you dont care about knowing the actual temperature within the 5+ real degrees that they cram into each of their fake ones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kelvin pissing on celcius is my fav sticker on my storm chasing truck

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why did arizonas doomed idiot cities start booming in the first place? what industry is there that attracts people requiring pumpin so much water into the desert?
all i know is that elderly people who hate the ocean move there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

free native home nation full of solar panels

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Nah it's cool. Instead of storms starting in Africa and loving us up, now storms start in Georgia and gently caress the UK up.

yes!

Kurtofan posted:

Celsius goes into negative numbers tho, and thats sci-fi as hell

???

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

negative F exists

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

love to sit on strange mattresses outside.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Luneshot posted:

There might be other such scenarios out there that I'm not aware of, but the only other one that immediately comes to mind is ARkStorm; a "1000-year" extreme atmospheric river scenario for California based on historical precedent of the floods of 1862.

tl;dr:

hows that happen, rain?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drat poors if only you had money and laws

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

for some reason Shep has unknowable amounts of dirt on Fox News upper management and can do whatever he wants on air

fox news is structured like fiefdoms of the major on air personalities. they all can do whatever they want and no consistent messaging is enforced. so shep can be a centrist shitlib and tucker can call for crystalnacht. i think it got this way when roger ailes was gone but im not up on deets, just repeating poo poo ive seen posted

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I saw this guy on Reddit today

new meaning to "running on fumes" when he tries to drive with 10 open buckets of gas in the cabin

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chuka Umana posted:

officially cat 3 now

meow

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sing Along posted:

im hearing that it might not hit florida now??

its being held down by a high pressure system if that system weakens now it will race at the carolinas.
if it weakens this weekend it will trash the east coast of central/northern florida
if it stays strong until labor day it will send dorian through miami into the gulf and up the gulf coast

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Accretionist posted:

Dorian's still pretty wide

thats the margin of error on the path of the center of the storm, not the impacted area.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nycs only hurricane protection put in place after sandy was a handful of sandbag blockades so i hope it comes here and owns us for being really stupid

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

orange sky posted:

So this time we don't have any crazy coked up storm chasers driving around live streaming?

well the problem is that any roads on the island are going to be under water long before the core of the storm arrives cause 99% of the bahamas are at sea level

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anything thats not green (the whole country minus one hill) is going to be washed out in a storm this big

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Sep 1, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

note that its only going to directly hit those top two islands

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1168199415380811776

yah, note how the one with the big city has no green elevation

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

that lightning is pretty threatening

i want the eye to stall perfectly over lake okeechobee like two pee holes kissing forever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pancake rabbit posted:

so not to get anyone's hopes up or anything

but the latest euro run (historically the best model for the past decade or so) was initialized with the storm being more east than it actually was

and forecast hour 48 for that run looks like this

you are jinxing the apocalypse

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2010 census data:
abaco: 17k
grand bahama: 51k

100% located below the surge level of this storm

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah the wealthy residents likely all sailed to the caymans or bermuda or something on their boats, the tourists flew home

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i dont understand the appeal of cruises but i guess just having one website to visit to handle a whole trip is probably most of the appeal to lazy people that want to say they went somewhere and dont mind diarrhea as a trade off for never having to leave their hotel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

apparently disney cruise stranded 100 employees in the storm that they could have evac'd and they are currently in the eyewall.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Right, lol at that goon last night acting like its completely unreasonable to be worried about you family member being here:

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

storms that move this slowly are just extremely hard to predict.

basically. without momentum to help fudge the math (oh its the size of texas and headinging nnw at 25 miles an hour so its a good bet it will keep doing that!!) theres too many variables pushing on all sides to get it exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Squizzle posted:

“space coast” is a terrible name for anything except the upper atmosphere

space coast ghost to ghost is my vote for thread title after landfall