Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Wamsutta posted:

Meanwhile in CT it's going to be 60 degrees this weekend and it hasn't snowed yet this winter. I don't think we had more than a 4" snowfall at all last winter either. Seasons aren't real anymore lol

It's snowed a few times here in Manchester but it never stick around for more than a day or two. I have had to shovel the driveway twice but not use the snowblower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Homeless Friend posted:

i have always loved the concept of wholesale applying stilts to modern homes. just imagining a mcmansion suspended 20 feet in the air

Just visit the general cape cod region, they are all over the coast, right up on sea walls.

Big ridiculous (vacation) homes on stilts

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Raine posted:

yes but luckily the colonialists were peaceful and learned to live in harmony with the natives hand-in-hand

source: my history class in US public grade school

In some places this was true. See: Thomas Morton of Ma-Re Mount.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski/status/1321680741944578048?s=19

500excf type r has issued a correction as of 11:43 on Oct 30, 2020

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

A word of mouth story from a coastal washington native tribe about an earthquake was dated exactly to the day sometime in the early to mid 1700s because of records of a tsunami that hit japan

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

Those oral histories are very robust. If you ever find yourself near Neah Bay the Makah people’s cultural center is very well done and interesting. They had a story of a large mudslide that later was excavated and resulted in a ton of well preserved artifacts, including evidence of gill net fishing which was used to help establish the practice as predating the treaties to the eternal consternation of modern fisherfolk who get really pissed about natives fishing.

Honestly I have no idea what the poster is talking about there were settlements and people all up and down the coast

I love the Australian native stories that have been proven through the geological record to be 10-12000+ years old, passed down word of mouth, generation to generation.

What the stories of the natives of the Americas could have told and taught us we will by and large never know and that saddens me

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I think I'm forecast for like 18"+ here in central ct. Maybe idk that could be old info too. I'm going to go get some gas for the snowblower because I haven't left the house in a week except to go to the liquor store but I guess the driveway being clear is important (this isn't really my decision to make, just following orders)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, barometers only measure atmospheric pressure, which varies constantly depending upon the weather.

An altimeter and a barometer are basically the same device

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

There were two tornados Thursday from Fred in NW Connecticut (Thompson CT / Webster MA) and another fully in Mass (Clinton MA) but there was also a tornado a few weeks ago in North-Northwest CT (Somers CT) and I cannot for the life of me remember a time in the last 35 years where we had multiple tornadoes like this over the course of a month.

Looking forward to Henri giving me a hell of a party tomorrow night tho and taking away my electricity for a week+ like Sandy

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

I live in CT directly in the path of Henri and can't wait to have no power for a week because of this crumbling dogshit state's infrastructure made out of dust and Eversource who have a monopoly on power service love too sit around with their thumb in their rear end in a top hat instead of actually repairing things after a storm. Great, fuckin stoked. Really excited. Normal as gently caress to have to get a hurricane in CT. Woo

"This post is paid for by a surcharge on customer bills"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

idk maybe i'm just cucked for privately-owned utilities, but it's p normal to me to expect an outage of a week or so due to something like sustained 100mph winds loving everything up

like we're talkin extreme weather where the severity scale is based on how much structural damage to expect

Eversource in CT is a special breed of gently caress you pay us

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

speaking of. here they are giving up already.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WFSBnews/status/1429163279792803844

hope your ready!

Lol I have a gas stove and 2 months worth of calories in beans and rice, let the games begin imo

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

poo poo that reminds me I need to hit the liquor store before tomorrow but I'm at the dropkick and rancid concert in Worcester tonight

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

shyduck posted:

I'm hiding in the bathroom right now lmao

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Like 10 years ago a tornado ripped through mass from Sturbridge to Springfield and you can see the path of destruction still where it crossed i84

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_New_England_tornado_outbreak#Greater_Springfield

3 deaths, 200 injuries, EF3

500excf type r has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Sep 2, 2021

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

This has me reading on new england tornadoes and lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Oops hosed up sorry

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It's more like jugable anyways

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Nenonen posted:

I read a brief mention that the collapsed candle factory in Mayfield also employed prisoners (who helped in rescue work by making holes in drywalls so people trapped in pockets could breathe), and this was stated like there was nothing unusual about it. I must admit that it doesn't surprise me that slaves would be forced to work during a tornado, but I would still like to hear more if there is any more information on this.

If the candle factory is the only employment around then the prisoners very well could have simply been on work release doing their normal job and not actually on loan as slave labor from the jail. Then again, its also the south and maybe I am giving them too much credit because slave labor seems like exactly the type of things a small town would get away with.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Where I used to live in geographical central but ultra rural by definition frontier country Maine was hit by several microbursts resulting in two fatalities and hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Basic Poster posted:

Not...yet

Also this seems real wrong. Pipes are specifically designed to withstand some amount of fluid pressure for their functional life. Like, before corrosion takes them.

You're saying, that between some ice block in a pipe, and a faucet (or even the other way, from the supply to the ice blockage) that the liquid pressure is so great, by means presumably from the expansion caused by the ice taking up more volume than liquid water...that's what burst the pipes? I guess I could see that from a huge length of frozen pipe.

That seems very conjecturous and wrong though. And is probably a bullshit chapter in a David Frome book

Water expands when it freezes unlike a lot of stuff that shrinks when it freezes due to the abnormal non symmetrical shapes of the water crystals fitting together.

Water also does not compress and all the expansion force goes to things that will absorb force.

You're vastly underestimating the power of freezing water.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Dog Case posted:

The real danger of the cold weather is having to drive in traffic. Passed a ton of people on the way to work just riding the rear end of people that were actually driving safely for the conditions. Like less than a cars length on plowed but not bare roads

I had an extremely localized surprise few inches of snow Christmas Eve day and had to make a planned trip to the grocery store for some lobsters and yeah, roads were awful and people had no concept of distancing, it was absurd. People in awd vehicles don't understand braking at all

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

in the past 30 years I’ve lived in CT I’ve gotten to slowly watch the northeast become what the mid Atlantic used to be climate wise and I imagine the mid Atlantic is now more or less Florida. I miss snowy winters so much :( winter now just means 40 and rainy most of the time, except when it’s like “lol surprise it’s 7 degrees for a few days still no snow tho”

Growing up in CT 30+ years ago I can recall ice skating on farm ponds in November and December and now you are lucky if they're frozen enough by February if ever

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

lmao this is hilarious to me. Imagine taking a shot at a robot deer and you turn around to see an Extremely Angry game warden demanding to see your hunting license after rushing over to check on the fallen dummy, mourning the loss

It takes quite a bit of skill to place the decoy deer so they don't look fake to someone that has hunted long enough. In fact, wardens often are formerly prolific poachers or children of them, really takes a certain type of outdoorsman to hunt poachers specifically.

I have heard crazy stories from wardens on decoy traps hiding in culverts where the poacher pokes the gun out over their head and they couldn't move to even cover their ears lest they give away their position, but as soon as it went off they reached up out of the darkness and they manhandled the rifle right out the truck window

Also stories from felon poachers hiding from wardens with them on their sights that said if the warden saw them they were gonna just pull the trigger, so it goes both ways

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://youtu.be/FjURlkPToqY

I think they have a bunch of different live cameras now and I don't know what time feeding is but hundreds of wild deer show up with turkeys and poo poo to eat oats almost out of the land owners hands, it is wild

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

It's a conversion from metric (nearly 1200lbs is going to be 500kg aka half a metric ton)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

welp got robbed. only like 4” in western CT. At least this fell on a weekend for once so it wasn’t a wasted school closure.

I got 16-18" in Eastern CT lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Cloks posted:

hosed up that 90% of goons live in or around ohio

Doesn't Ohio have claim to the most presidents and maybe also astronauts but that might be me conflating it with that one joke about the guy being farthest from Ohio that any other ohioan before or after

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

A layer of snow protects your car against ice

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

lol. yesterday it was 57 out. This morning I wake up to 3” of snow on the ground.

Same lol, shorts yesterday, snowsuit today

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

you wear a snowsuit after 3 inches?

Hyperbole I guess because I also didn't wear shorts yesterday and the snow is too fluffy to make snowmen to add to my snowperson graveyard

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

It also turns out a decent portion of people are actually specifically allergic to the antibiotics in neosporin - its common enough that when i was having a serious reaction to something they asked me if i had used neosporin - i had - and they marked it in my chart and said never to use it again.

Imagine all the people allergic to iodine

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, imagine all the people allergic to an essential nutrient

learn something new every day

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

TACD posted:

I would loving love to move to Iceland

idk Greenland sounds way more appealing

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

it hasn’t rained in two weeks where I live in CT. we might get a little next weekend but might not. seems normal and fine

It's rained twice at least since last Friday in north central CT but neither actually helped much and shits still dry af.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Ya supposedly there's torrential rains and flooding across southern New England for the next two days but it's barely been a drizzle at my house in ne ct

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

This was supposed to be me today but the part of CT I live in continues to have some kind of weather shield and the rest of the state is drowning under inches of rain while it lightly drizzles outside my window.

It has, however, been absolutely disgustingly humid these past two days. So that's something. Humidity is water.

Lol same, forecast has been calling for inches of rain for two days now I think and nothing to show for it

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

by staying you could end up a mod

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

actionjackson posted:

gently caress :/

i meant lower pressure = more intense

Everything wants to be at equilibrium and the greater the deviation from the point, the harder everything tries to get back to it

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Jeff exaggerating the wind speed already and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Did Jeffs stream die?