Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if the forecast holds it's gonna be parked less than 100 miles offshore palm beach pushing a bunch of water inland until tuesday

well yeah it's gonna park you expect it to work on labor day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gently caress YOU FLORIDA YOU REGRET MESSING WITH MY MAN JEFF YET???? HE WAS INNOCENT

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

jesus gently caress. with how fast that water is moving, and the fact that it isn't stopping soon, you gotta wonder just how many people are going to die because the foundations of the building they are in failed

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

love how hurricanes are just parking over top of places now and it's just cool as hell

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Here's to hoping that Lorenzo stays strong and parks over the Netherlands for a few days. Show those Dutchman not to thumb their noses at the ocean

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

ground water, as opposed to whole bean water

aka aquafaba

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao the united states is totally gonna aral sea the great lakes as the aquifers dry up

The soviets realized that the aral sea was an abomination that only existed as a fluke of nature, it's time we do the same with Lake Erie.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao just remembered that tropical storm that formed literally 2 hours before it hit Texas

e: tropical storm Imelda, for those curious

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Aug 26, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

shirts and skins posted:

I will never understand the people who fly in hurricane hunters. God love em but it's one of the last jobs I'd ever sign up for.

This is a good long read about one of those trips turning to absolute poo poo:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/articles/hunting-hugo-part-1

if it's over the ocean it's probably fine, you can just park the plane underwater for a bit while you wait for things to calm down. over land you're screwed though lmao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Honestly mostly amazed at how the wind is blowing so fast they don't need to run the engines, they just leave the props vibrating in the wind. drat I love science

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Thesaurus posted:

Searching for videos of Holly Beach from past hurricanes, I found "pre-storm drone footage" filmed yesterday. That's never a good sign for your community!

https://youtu.be/H-S8BIsx-iE

I really do love that the internet has gotten to the stage where we start to get pre natural disaster footage. Gonna own when large media conglomerates start posting jobs on fiver for people to film their hometown before a storm in the hopes that a tornado fucks poo poo up and they can get some sweet ad revenue

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

There is a chance all of Louisiana gets thrown high I to the atmosphere and then lands back in the same place like in Outer Wilds.

I actually saw a documentary about something like that, though it was a tornado, and the girl and her dog actually ended up getting thrown into a parallel universe

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

where is Jeff right now? Other than on a parking garage, ofc

e: sounds like he's saying he's in Lake Charles

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

sir this is a wendy's https://www.google.com/maps/@30.230...!7i16384!8i8192

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Genuinely excited for the day that tropical storms start forming in Lake Michigan

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

there are fire shelters that are like a pup tent or biovac with aluminum foil covering it

they sometimes save the lives of trained fire fighters but the success rate is kinda miserable. as someone that’s untrained... uhhh good luck :rip:

If you set up the tent in a pool would that help?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Stereotype posted:

the best way to survive a brush fire is to pee on it, thereby exerting your dominance over the fire

PLEASE DELETE THIS!!!! PEEING ON A FIRE STARTED BY LIGHTING OR SOME OTHER ELECTRICAL MEANS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!! THE FIRE TYPICALLY MAINTAINS THE ELECTRICAL CHARGE FOR UP TO A WEEK AFTER IT IS STARTED, AND ANY TYPE OF URINARY CONTACT WITH IT COULD BE FATAL

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

nikosoft posted:

What's the best Great Lakes state to move to in order to escape this hellworld? I see on zillow I can get waterfront property in Cleveland for 35k or thereabouts. I've seen every episode of Property Bros so, you know, I think I can handle a little renovation challenge

Whatever one you move to, know that you chose the wrong one

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

nikosoft posted:

Buddy, have you SEEN the property prices on the lake in Milwaukee??? This poo poo isn't even on fire! I could see myself as a Bucks fan, I like deer, and they definitely have a brighter future than the Kings.

lmao imagine living somewhere where the culinary innovation is putting a whole stick of butter on to a burger

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

Milwaukee has had an up and coming great restaurant scene the past ten years or so.

Oh? They steal cheese curds and hot dish from Minnesota?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Spoondick posted:

only 300 aqi, not good not bad

no, it's at ~400 right now, which means if it gets ~100 points worse it starts to be the same as perfect air

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Should be the Butte Fire

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Man Musk posted:

most of the cities in the Great Lakes region are with the water to their east or north that isn't good sunset mechanics, guys

Salt Lake City knows what it's doing, OTOH

Mackinac City with the 4d chess making sure it has a good view of the sunrise, sunset, and oil spilling out of the pipeline running under the straights

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

green bay is basically buffalo but our starting wage is around $15

also lol at that WV dude earlier who was saying the great lakes wasn't a good place to live https://public.tableau.com/profile/tamar.epner#!/vizhome/USdatavisualizationforweb/USSPIonlineviz

lmao gently caress it moving to Duluth going to work at the port or something just shipping out iron ore all day

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

this is the red letter media set, isn't it? what episode is it from?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

ur in my world now posted:

that arrow in MO is pointing like directly at me. man it's been beautiful the last few days. keep that poo poo out of here, i don't want any. send it to kansas

Yeah if California starts ruining Michigan then lmao turns out we aren't climate change resistant

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Kid keeps loving up the lawnmower because the dumb gently caress doesn't know how to now the dome lawn

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Starting a gofundme to help climate refugees flee Lake Charles

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

wolfs posted:

what does the highest air pressure ever mean for Mongolia

https://twitter.com/mikeadcockwx/status/1343688151638945793?s=21

Means that they're under pressure

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

does the Mediterranean have a hurricane season now? if so when does it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

we're working on it

decided to go to the good ol' wikipedia. Data is from 1947 - 2021

The data is "recognized tropical-like cyclones" in the med, which I think means things from tropical depressions on up? maybe even weaker than that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_tropical-like_cyclone

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's green because of algae blooms

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

is the reason the radar images are green because the storm is green? If the storm is really bad so that it's red on the radar will it be red outside?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i always assumed that big swinging arm going through the sky for the radar causing the cyclones tbqh

it is wild what people are allowed to get away with if they make up a title and say that they are a scientist. Dude walks up to me and says that he's a meteorologist, but when I ask he says that he studies the weather not meteors. Calls me a fool. A buffoon. Please, I know when I'm getting lied to, and I'll call them out for their bullshit and weather manipulation even if no one else will. I know those swinging arms are getting more and more common alongside derachos and hurricanes. Coincidence? no. not at all.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

drat, look at all of the new growth forest that the retreat of that glacier has allowed

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SirPablo posted:

Here's the latest forecast from one run of the one model. Not as hot as the one EXTREME forecast, still very hot.

The same time from a different model.

And averages from ensemble models.

So 40c and 40f are the same temperature, right? Going to be chilly!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Raine posted:

starting to doubt these "meteorologists"

i've yet to see a single meteor in any of these forcasts

Most people don't realize this, but most of the people that you see on TV are just ologists

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we’ll just build all our cities on stilts

cooler temps, sea rise no issue

bing bong

whole lot of people itt not seeing the potential of Miami becoming Venice 2

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

neutral milf hotel posted:

that rules. it's like a monument to man's arrogance

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Speedboat, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

That speedboat will be there a long time after humans are gone.

Probably.

idk how sun resistant the enamel is, but the plastic parts of the fiberglass aren't going anywhere anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Enfys posted:

I still hope for a supervolcano

Sakurajima erupted a couple of days ago, and campe fiegre(or something idk how to spell it) is seeing some uplift

Between those and ice sheets around the world retreating who knows what the future of volcanoes holds

It's not going to be sakurajima or campe fiegre having a super eruption though