Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
it's more of a Heat Oblate Spheroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

sitchensis posted:

can someone explain to a dum dum like me what this means

if you took a box of air and then cooled it, what's the lowest temperature you can take it to before you start condensing water out of the air? that's the dew point. it's a more direct measure of the water content in the air than "relative humidity", because relative humidity is a function of temperature and not just water vapor.

a dewpoint of 93F is like.... "you might die if you spend too much time outside" levels

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

would make a good gang tag

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the wrapping of empanadas are like little doughy tarps

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think North Carolina (maybe south?) actually has a law that says the state can’t use climate change when determining where coastal development happens

yeah NC did that. as far as i know it's still on the books. there are worse states, but NC's pretty bad.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.motor1.com/news/534396/climaguard-car-bag-flood-protection/
already done.

anyway who needs a plastic bag for your car when you can put water in a plastic bag to protect your whole house?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

TehSaurus posted:

how much economic activity crosses the bridge?

none, it's outside and uncovered

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

ekuNNN posted:

mormons would do pretty well i guess, doesnt their religion basically command them to be preppers?

mormons are the only true manifestation of the American Ideal and will outlive us all

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
and then for some types of regression you just assign some cardinal values to categorical data. statistics is fun

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

we told you the triple five guys burger was gonna wreck your guts. we told you!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

(1) Green flames issue from a blown manhole. The green flame evolves from superheated copper wire below the street. (Photos by author unless otherwise noted.)
https://www.fireengineering.com/firefighting/managing-manhole-fires/

i dont think spraying some water on the manhole cover is going to put that fire out if it's burning the copper lines under the street

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
pizza squirrels will do in a pinch

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
if the shutdown cancels fat bear week i will actually be devastated

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2023GL105170
https://www.livescience.com/planet-earth/gulf-stream-weakening-now-99-certain-and-ramifications-will-be-global

quote:

The Gulf Stream is a vital limb of the North Atlantic circulation that influences regional climate, sea level, and hurricane activity. Given the Gulf Stream's relevance to weather and climate, many studies have attempted to estimate trends in its volumetric transport from various data sets, but results have been inconclusive, and no consensus has emerged whether it is weakening with climate change. Here we use Bayesian analysis to jointly assimilate multiple observational data sets from the Florida Straits to quantify uncertainty and change in Gulf Stream volume transport since 1982. We find with virtual certainty (probability P > 99%) that Gulf Stream volume transport through the Florida Straits declined by 1.2 ± 1.0 Sv in the past 40 years (95% credible interval). This significant trend has emerged from the data set only over the past ten years, the first unequivocal evidence for a recent multidecadal decline in this climate-relevant component of ocean circulation.

reading over the discussion, seems like this is basically another "we were PRETTY sure this was happening before, but now we're slightly even more sure" paper. still not great though

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
you try to start a wave in a stadium ONE time

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I cant read is that good

not really, adults should know how to read

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Deep in Barad-Dur, Sauron tortures the halfling lich Gollum for the location of the Carbon Ring, the secret to a warming planet. After weeks of torment, his jailers make out a few words in the creature's wails: "Oil! Underground!"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
aren't they all just sourced from the same NOAA models anyway?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
neat! Thanks for the link

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
el nino... grande?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i think zodium still has some glue

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
two years in Tennessee and I saw an inch of snow tops, and a month after I move out they get blasted with 6 inches. i feel ripped off

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Raleigh 2014 remains the GOAT, imo

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

I guarantee that person's tires were slipping like crazy at the top of that hill and they had no idea what to do so they just kept flooring it until the engine literally caught on fire.

People have actually died that way because nobody knows what to do when they get stuck.

Yeah it was like... perfect shitstorm conditions. They're not complete strangers to snow in that area, but it's one of those temperate regions where nobody owns snow chains and there's maybe two plows for the whole city. Usually the snow drops overnight and everyone stays home for a few days and it's fine, that's your big storm for the season. That particular day, there was like four inches of snow in the middle of the day, nobody knows how to drive in snowy conditions and everyone was panicking.

I walked home that day and I made better progress than the bus I usually took. People were abandoning their cars at the side of the road, it was a loving mess.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

tangy yet delightful posted:

Does this thread have a weather app recommendation for Android phones (not sure if iphone/android matters but just in case)? I have "Hyperlocal Weather" and I dunno but it just seems mediocre. Wondering if there's a more accurate forecasting app out there.

I use NWS Now. Lightweight, no-nonsense front-end for NWS reports. It's not on the Play store, but Fdroid has it and I think you can manually install the APK if you want to.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Eastern Tennessee has been paralyzed by snow and ice all week, continuing into Friday. poo poo's hosed!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the human brain is not equipped to understand how much energy is contained in a mass of moving water or air

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Any moron can spend a billion dollars making a building that doesn't fall down when it rains. It takes a highly paid team of expert engineers to build a house using cotton candy.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

i live in a spherical house to maximize my ratio of indoor to outdoor

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Weather is when fluids do stuff.

Wind is weather.

Rain is weather.

Magma is weather.

Glacial advance is weather.

Sunspots are weather.