Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

OK baizuo posted:

Keep an eye on this if you're more towards Mobile/Pensacola
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimCantore/status/1431697034843762691

I've already got my important stuff ready to go, but I guess I'll be filling up the ole duffle bag when I get off work.

e: and my boss at my other job called me this morning and said a co-worker missed a couple of days last week and wanted to know if he could take my shift tomorrow. I'm in the 4-8" of rain range as it stands so I thought for a second and was like "uh, yeah."

Chief McHeath has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Aug 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

stay safe trash can ghost

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

Hurricane PTSD is extremely real and sucks

This is 100% true, even if you don't get stuck in an attic from flooding. The tremendous amount of fury, the aircraft runway decibel levels thrown about by hurricanes are absolutely jarring.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm in the Florida panhandle and there are lot of people that evacuated here that want to go back home or are worried about their loved ones at home. Given Florabama, I've been surprised at the number of people that have expressed concern on FB, NextDoor etc. What are the best south Louisiana mutual aid orgs to direct funds to?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Mindy is hitting right about where Hurricane Michael did three years ago. Might do a bit more damage than a 45mph sustained storm usually would. Weakened trees more prone to falling, etc.

The Gulf is just an absolute tinderbox right now and forever. The whole thing has nearly 90° water temps and tropical systems start to stir at anything over 80°.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Goes through November. Last year Hurricane Iota ran from 11/13-11/18.

Given how warm the Atlantic and Gulf have been thus far this year, we can't rule out a potential "bonus month." :smith:

Can't wait for hurricane season to be 12 months long.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Also not enough raking.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

They could just rake the snow :shrug:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Bob Socko posted:

A week ago, it was one degree. One! Today, it’s 41.

Very cool, very normal.

I'm currently sitting at 73°, my forecast says at sunrise tomorrow it will be 34°.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Rynn posted:

Imagine how it’ll be a decade from now.

"No." - Boomers

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Just talked to my nephew in KY, he said when he woke up this morning there was nothing and now there's almost eight inches of snow in his yard.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

A few friends and I were driving to Florida during the 2004 tsunami and listening to the news go from "dozens may be dead" to "hundreds" to "thousands" to "tens of thousands" to "hundreds of thousands" during the 17 hour drive. I just can't wrap my head around the mindset of people that are like "yeah bro there's gonna be a tsunami let's go to the beach and jump in the tsunami, bro, we can post it on Insta!" or "I should take my infant child to the beach when there could perhaps be a tsunami."

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Fetlife Kuli posted:

only a small fraction of the people who died would have known better. the last tsunami was long out of living memory (the 1860s) and a century of colonialism and state-building would have disrupted the oral traditions that cultures who regularly experience tsunamis are passed on to the next generations. in fact, most of the inhabited areas that managed to escape the tragedy were rural villages where people still knew the stories and scrambled inland. and because the last indian ocean tsunami was in the victorian era and the region is surrounded by developing counties, no one had bothered to install an early warning system.

so in the cities, you had the seabed becoming exposed at the same time as the earthquake, and people thought it was the earthquake itself making a permanent change. fishermen ran out to grab flopping fish and supplement their income. kids did the kid thing and ran out to play on the new, strange world in the harbor. then the women got killed when they ran out to try to warn their families of the wave coming over the horizon. and in some of the rice fields, you might have been totally unaware what was going on. the wave made it 40 km inland in some places.

natural disasters like that usually happen because people are caught off guard by something completely outside their experience, or making the best of their situation, not because they're idiots. blaming people means there are only individualized one-off solutions and the next disaster's going to do just as much damage. taking a wider look at what happened means the next time probably won't be as bad. sorry for the rant but I really hate the "how could people have been so clueless" thing.

I was talking about the video someone posted where Aussie police were telling people to get off the beach, the bros and person with infant child I mentioned, who had significant warning and went to the water anyway, not the people caught completely off guard by the 2004 tsunami.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TarpShield cars go farther.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't ever want to hear the term "multiple vortices" again

Sorry then.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

73° this afternoon, when I leave for work today morrow it'll be around 37°.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm not saying that rich people's homes and possessions burning away is good, but I am ABSOLUTELY NOT saying that it isn't good.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

well might as well complete the triumvirate of Nickelodeon's only three paid sponsors in the early 90s

https://youtu.be/NRHF8n9e9Xo

E: jesus christ that pricing is still outrageous today I cannot believe the brass balls on these people to go for that price point 30 years ago

I've gotten iodine on everything oh god please someone help me I need the didi seven pronto

Like am I missing something or did homes used to have bottles of iodine all over the place ready to stain everything you owned or what?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

you never used iodine as an antiseptic?

Actually, yeah, I do remember iodine being around my grandfather's farm buildings for scrapes and such, but I guess I was one of those fancy people that mostly grew up with Neosporin.

I guess I missed out on the great iodine panic where it was absolutely everywhere staining sheets, couches and your shirt right before your very important business presentation.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Penisaurus Sex posted:

heat index in Savannah hit 130 today

I'm beginning to think living in coastal GA was as much of a mistake as living in the southwest.

Isn't the whole of the southeast under a Heat Advisory with heat indexes 110°+ today?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

What is this poo poo

https://twitter.com/tahin1981/status/1539128441823449091?s=20

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hurricane Hurricane

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I hadn't bothered to look at the tropical storm/hurricane names this year.

I'm placing bets on Earl, Gaston, Shary and Virginie.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/NWSNHC/status/1572694608093810689?s=20&t=wCpkhua8MIlp3qPQiPH1MQ

Does this mean anything

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Just went to Publix here on the far west end of the panhandle. Since the water was all gone and people appear to be actually preparing, I'm ready to confirm it will not make landfall anywhere west of Tallahassee.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

What kind of person gets their food from a farm? Just go to the grocery store, idiots.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Koirhor posted:

why the gently caress do you even have a yacht in memphis, gfy

Because that way it isn't in saltwater.

My friend's dad had a boat in Key Largo for years and years, and when he retired he moved it to the Ohio River.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

thinking to use an electric blanket

layered between two tarp

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

That’s 50mm or about two inches per year, and seven inches in six hours, yowza.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

“Cold weather is cold every year, people shouldn’t worry about several consecutive days of below freezing temperatures” I say as I turn all my faucets on so my pipes don’t freeze because it’s 40 degrees.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Dustcat posted:

oh yeah they didn't just like throw a tarp over them, they put up wood frames with proper sheet plastic

what makes you think they need more than tarp

:dogout:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I feel bad for the people in Texas, like as individuals having to go through unnecessary and unreasonable suffering, but I don’t feel bad at all for Texas because because they do this poo poo to themselves again and again.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

is the “Cleveland superbomb” a variation of the Cleveland steamer I don’t know about or what

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

is there a problem with moist dome or

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

we gon go through the alphabet and the greek alphabet and start naming storms like, hurricane ampersand, hurricane prince symbol

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Complications posted:

living in CA and watching the fire smoke cover the rest of the US like a guy tied in a chair watching a testicle smashing machine moving towards us smash other people's testicles

yeah

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Lacrosse posted:

I have a friend in the panhandle of Florida who was talking about getting hit with a derecho. If that's the same storm then drat did that thing travel far.

Pensacola Beach had a confirmed tornado Thursday night.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

im about to move to a new apartment which one does weed smoke

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

it was really humid (still is, it's 80 and foggy over any big grassy patch right now lol). IDK what exactly the humidity was but it was high. I think the actual heat index was like 110-112. I went outside and didn't die but it sucked.

It's going to be hotter today.

hotter today?