Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Stealing this from the MLB thread who stole it from the NBA thread because it's interesting.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Stealing this from the NBA thread since it's interesting. Home field advantage in the four major American team sports:

What I get out of this is Denver is a cheat code and shouldn't be allowed to have professional teams in any sport. I mean christ, look at how far ahead the Nuggets and Rockies are than anyone else in their sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--a 6 pick game (playoffs) a 5 pick game and six 4 pick games it looks like (one in the playoffs). 32 (!) 3 pick games.

Chris James 2 posted:

N:

V: Matthew Stafford is the best QB in the league with 5 games of at least 4 interceptions since 2009

He really slowed down on the turnovers the last few years. He'll still throw some interceptions but more like good Philip Rivers years rather than up towards 20 which he did a lot when he was younger.

Well up until last night that is.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 11, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chris James 2 posted:

The 6-INT was Jan 2002, the 5-INT was Oct 2005. Favre had no game with more than 3 in 2009 or '10 per PFR

I think Mr Nice was just pointing out that whatever he does Stafford will never live up to Favre's career in any metric.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Al Groh is definitely more of a Parcells guy.

I was going to ask how the Jets of all teams fired a guy with an above .500 record, but he apparently spent a year there and then noped out on his own to coach Virginia.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

We've debated endlessly what the top tiers of quarterbacks look like. But we've never really plumbed the depths.

Who are the standard bearers for bad quarterbacks? Everyone just says "oh this guy is the worst!" whenever some dude plays like poo poo for a few games before benching, but really is he? Is Nathan Peterman worse than Ryan Lindley, Curtis Painter or Rusty Smith? Is Paxton Lynch worse than Blaine Gabbert?

I'll never stop pushing Ryan Leaf as the worst quarterback.

He's certainly the worst bust (don't talk to me about Jamarcus, he was bad too but not as bad) but he's also got an amazing case for just being the worst period.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Or are they too stubborn to admit their mistake with Peterman and cut him?

All I can imagine is that he must look like a completely different player in practice.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The Patriots signed Benny Fowler, whoever that is.

A JaG receiver. Maybe not even that, he's barely employable.

So it's entirely possible he randomly puts up an 800 yard season for you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

weird Asian candy posted:

Not sure, actually. Just thought it was an odd perspective on things. Football > human life apparently. I guess I see his point, but why risk it over a football game?

There've been a couple of college games cancelled already so I'm sure that's what that idiot is talking about. Wake Forest's Thursday game was also moved up to an earlier start time.

e: preemptively cancelled I mean, not talking about the Nebraska and Iowa State games from a couple of weeks ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There's just no way. And for all his flaws Carr is still good/young enough to hang on to and hope things really start clicking for at least another year after this one. He gets even cheaper to cut later on if things don't work out.

Don't get me wrong, it would be hilarious if it happened and the Raiders rolled with McCarron and drafted, like, Clayton Thorson or someone.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

Just sign Hackenberg. The world must have its answer.

Beat me to it. The Bills clearly aren't interested in actually winning this year and there doesn't seem to be much of a benefit to playing Allen just yet (not that I believe there ever will be, but playing him now could actually hurt him). Sign Christian Hackenberg and let that guy throw some passes. poo poo, he'll even be bad enough that you can put Peterman back in eventually and people won't complain will complain less than they would have.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I think Washington's gonna be strangely solid this year. I could easily be wrong of course.

Gruden's getting a win fairly soon one way or another. Cards Bears will take care of one of those teams. If the Bears win that Cards/Seahawks seems like a potential win for Arizona just because its in division at home and even when Seattle was awesome they always seemed to play tough games against each other.

I think the Titans are capable of beating the Texans, and if all else fails that Bills game will happen eventually.

Man the Colts schedule is kinda rough if they can't beat up on Nick Foles. Even if they did manage that the defense might be too good. They might have to wait for the Bills if that doesn't work.

The Lions might be stuck waiting for a while.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 12, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gatts posted:

You will note, there are possibly 2 open players. One in the Endzone, the other the guy with the ball who I imagine if he ran straight-leaning left, may have been able to touch down.

Huh, I didn't think about that before. Trubs has some wheels too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I'm fairly sure this is incorrect, I think James was in coverage on Hill on the third and 12 late-ish in the game. That or it was a completely blown coverage I guess but it sure looked like Hill just faked like he was going deep and got James to turn his hips before cutting on a deep out.

This play:

https://twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/1039496537687175168

e: I should note though that James does look like he's going to be really good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strobe posted:

Probably not enough to actually matter at the end of the season unless the rest of the AFC North experiences a magnificent catastrophe and pulls an NFC East with the next best record being Pitt at 7-8-1.

6-8-2* in this scenario.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, I just realized that the Chargers are playing Josh Allen this week. Not that I expect them to actually have a problem with him (although he could surprise) but that's two of the three strongest arms in the NFL in the first two weeks. Sadly it doesn't look like the Chargers play Green Bay this year.

e: Two of the four I guess, Stafford's up there too. The Chargers don't play them either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leon Einstein posted:

Does Gruden not realize there aren't better QBs to replace him with?

Gruden appears to love everyone and believe he can coach them up right until he gets his hands on them. Then it takes about 3 days for him to start hating that quarterback.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, kinda surprised Gruden or the Bills haven't signed or taken a look at Tom Savage.

I mean he's terrible and not good in any way, but he seems like the type of guy both of those teams would like a look at.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/722581631970779140

(I don't care if he cut him once already.)

Haha, from that thread:

https://twitter.com/JayDillinger__/status/722583004934184960

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This feels like the 5th season in a row where the Steelers have an extremely disappointing, lazy, mistake-filled road game...but get to face KC at home the next week and spend all week getting their minds re-set and then go out and destroy the Chiefs. gently caress these schedule makers

I don't think it's the schedule makers' fault exactly but I definitely expect the Steelers to win and put up like 50 on our horrible defense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

You’ve noticed this too yah? Seems KC is next on deck after every “Steelers are done for, fire Tomlin” game and the Steelers always shithouse us with all their pent up anger from last weeks failure

poo poo it sorta happened in the playoffs a couple of years ago. The Steelers got taken to OT by the Browns of all teams (I think Landry Jones might have been starting). There was a WC game in between but it was against the Matt Moore Dolphins which proved nothing.

But even if you don't count that, yeah it seems like more often than not when these teams play the Steelers look like crap against someone and the Chiefs look good the week before. Then the Steelers wipe the floor with the Chiefs the next week.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Jamarcus Russell, the QB? Or J'Marcus Webb, the lovely left tackle?

I just looked up the latter, can't believe he's still in the league with the Colts.

whynotboth.jpg

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That seems like a fine gamble?

It's possible he won't get jail time at all (please stop quoting the 25 years thing), even though it seems unlikely. And his sentencing hearing isn't until December 18th so they get him damned near all year even if he does go away forever. What football team gives a poo poo about insider trading?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd say if he's still the same player he was Tyrod's more of a poor man's Kaep, but they are fairly similar and neither is head and shoulders above the other.

Tyrod's more accurate but less aggressive (or at least was--I don't know what he's going to be on the Browns after week 1). Kaep will take more risks and throws a few more picks, but not a ton more--they both take care of the ball reasonably well. They both take a ton of sacks, Tyrod at a little higher rate than Kaep but either way they're in the same ballpark. Kaep is the superior rushing quarterback and I'd argue it's not particularly close, but Tyrod definitely is a plus guy there too. Neither of them received competent coaching at all in the last few years they've played.

But yeah, either way the Bills are a terrible fit for Kaepernick if we're imagining a world where they would even consider him. And If you like him you should want him to go somewhere that he can have some chance of success. If you don't like him you just don't want him around period.

e: Put either of them on the Bills and they're the best QB on the roster by a mile of course unless Josh Allen is a lot more ready than I believe he is.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 14, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Flikken posted:

Steve Smith owns.

And Michael Irvin does not.

I wonder what his career would have looked like if he couldn't push off at will. And not in a Fiz complaining about Tony Gonzalez sort of way, at least Tony was slightly sneaky about it. Irvin was flat out throwing people down on their faces half the time.

He'd still have been good I'm sure, but I don't think he'd be sniffing the hall of fame.

e: I guess I have to take that back, as long as the Cowboys win those rings he gets in no matter what as the #1 receiver. He'd still have been one of the triplets at 3/4ths of his production.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 14, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pubic works project posted:

You still hate him though, right?

I mean, I hate Matt Cassel the player, but Matt Cassel the person might be ok.

Eh he's probably not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah but he didn't do it while pissing off crusty old white people which is part of the clutch multiplier that puts Moss over the top

If this is your Moss argument it really brings TO into things, because holy poo poo did TO piss everyone in that category off while having amazing stats.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This is a fair-er comparison, but cutting off Kaep's partial 2012 season is still pretty unfair.

e: ha, I decided to run that to see what it looked like and check out who showed up in the query.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 14, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It's 6 years ago. There's a valid quibble there but I think weighing the final three years kaep was active, with 37 games, against tyrod's same years, with 30 games, is a fair sample without reaching back too far

Check out the edit I just thought to make because it's funny who shows up if you extend it that far.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Not that I mind too much but why in the world does that side of Missouri get Arizona/LAR? St Louis might want to at least hate-watch the Rams (or have some poor, sad, actual fans left).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Also for anyone that wants to get into some serious stat nerdery:

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1040384896009691137

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1040412477924749312

Someone should link him that thread we have.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Don't tell me, take it up with the thread.

The idea of scraping games for data on the running game is what made me think of it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Big Jay Cutler posted:

Thank you sincerely for this link, I haven’t followed TFF for a few years and wound up missing this very interesting thing

It really is a great thread. The info's a little dated now obviously but the concepts are still good and Forever_Peace has the scripts so you can do your own comparisons linked somewhere in there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kalensc posted:

When comparing W-L-T records, a tie can be expressed as a half-win and half-loss. So yes, 0-0-16 =~ 8-8-0 and they'd make the playoffs.

The other in division teams could go 6-7-3 as the closest to a functional 8 wins and the 0-0-16 team would get in, so that gets at least one more win than 5-9-2. I haven't figured out if 0-0-16 could win tiebreakers over a 7-7-2 team.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 15, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

The Bills released Jeremy Kerley, who was probably the closest thing to a competent receiver on their roster.

I just looked up his stats and while you might be right about the Bills roster I remembered him being a lot more competent than he has been. He's also kinda old now in never been good receiver years so he's probably legitimately done.

Jesus Christ the Bills offensive roster is utterly amazing. I'm in awe of all the people who are just barely holding on to NFL jobs finding their way to Buffalo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oops wrong thread.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

It really feels like Josh Gordon should be claimed by the Chiefs.

I was going to say that's not where they need help really, but Josh Gordon would be an upgrade at corner.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Who could even hazard a guess? :iiam:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

schmug posted:

Ok this keeps coming up and I have two questions:

1.) How is Hue responsible for this?
2.) If he was, how is it "wrong"?

We don't have all the facts, but seriously, how many shots should this dude get? Gordon I mean. Hue shoulda been gone already.

I don't know if Hue is responsible or if it's the wrong move.

The immediate leaks to the press about all the ways Gordon has hosed up does scream Hue to me though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

weird Asian candy posted:

Yup. And not only that, they are also fining players for these hits. Grady Jarrett was fined $15k for his 'late hit' on Foles last week and some Saints DT actually paid the NFL to play last week since his fines were more than his paycheck.

Yeah that would super piss me off if I were a defensive player. Those fines are automatic too, it's not like anyone reviews them to see if it's a questionable call or if there was any intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Guys. GUYS

https://twitter.com/MarquetteKing/status/1041488083772817408

Aside from everything about this I also enjoy the reply from the Raiders fan making GBS threads on King saying he'd never make the pro bowl and immediately getting called out for taking a picture with King at the pro bowl.

Oh maybe that's fake, I have no idea.

• Locked thread