Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm in. I'll be cheating a little, but you'll know when and you won't complain. Much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If you can’t find anything else for 1957, both I was a teenage Frankenstein and I Was a Teenage Werewolf are on YouTube.

Night of the Demon is 1957. It also happens to be pretty much the best horror movie of the 1950s.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 15, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

1) Hallowe'en III: Season of the Witch (1982)

AKA "the one without Michael Myers in". Featuring a bunch of Halloween masks, a stolen megalith, a heavily telegraphed final "scare", hilariously poor special effects, a large number of ambulatory mannequins (AKA "the cast") and absolutely nothing that is in the slightest frightening, shocking, disturbing or interesting. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Positive points: there's a nice bit of music in the opening scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

They probably couldn't film women's locker rooms in the 1930s.

Watching the 1931 Dr Jekyll right now, it has sideboob.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

2) Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1932)

One of the all time greats. It's best remembered for Jekyll's transformation sequence, which was done through the simple expedient of different coloured makeup and a cellophane filter on the lens, but there's a hell of a lot else to recommend it. Fredric March's Oscar-winning performance is a bit corny now, but the way he changes his pattern of motion when he becomes the ape-like Hyde is fascinating to watch and the pre-Code depiction of Hyde as a domestic abuser remains on needle point even now.

The only criticism I can level at it is that they changed the ending. Hyde is killed by police and reverts to Jekyll, but it's vital to the story that Jekyll is trapped in the form of Hyde while thinking as Jekyll; it's a representation of how, in trying to indulge his base urges, Jekyll has corrupted that which is good about him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BioTech posted:

1. The Wicker Man

While it definitely had some enjoyable scenes and good ideas in there, I have a hard time understanding where all the praise comes from.
I really dug how upbeat the whole cult was. Singing, dancing, free love, for me as a viewer these outweighed the hints that something sinister was going till near the very end.
Not a waste of time, but it really didn't live up to my expectations.

I brought the Britt Ekland body double. Who's got the matches?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BioTech posted:

To be fair, I would have a hard time naming anything clearly influenced by The Wicker Man, but the feeling is the same.

Kill List is pretty much "Ken Loach's The Wicker Man".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Just let go of you rules maaan, they're holding you back.

Seriously though, I exercise self-control for 10.5 months a year, I'm taking these 6 weeks whether it's "cheating" or not.

I start in September because I'm AWOL the last week of October.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

3) Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1941)

A strange beast. Reuben Mamoulian's movie was essentially a banned production following the introduction of the Code, seen only in a massively cut form which took out all the licentiousness. MGM wanted to get some of the action, so they bought it from Paramount and remade it to an almost identical script except with a bit more churchin' up and a lot less nudity. The result isn't a bad movie in and of itself, but watching both versions back to back shows up the flaws in the remake. While March's makeup seems a mite extreme, Spencer Tracy as Jekyll and Hyde is like comparing sane Nic Cage with crazy Nic Cage - they look too much the same for anyone not to realise the "big secret". And while the remake has huge star power compared to the original, the performances simply aren't as good.

Also the 1941 version loses points for everyone bar one actress pronouncing "Jekyll" wrong.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 27, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

4) Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)

My next double bill of 30s original and later remake. If you've seen House of Wax then you know exactly what to expect here: brilliant wax sculptor loses collection (and parts of anatomy) in horrible fire accident, builds new collection using murder victims, ultimately discovers why we have all those health and safety regulations regarding vats of molten wax. It's a good example of how horror never used to be the pigeonhole for directors that it is today, being directed by Michael Curtiz, who went on to direct The Adventures of Robin Hood and Casablanca. Sadly, though, it suffers from a relatively crude Technicolor process - it would have been better in monochrome - and while 30s horror stalwart Lionel Atwill is game, he's no Vincent Price. Still, he's backed up with talent like Fay Wray and Holmes Herbert so it all works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ There are some differences to Hyde - he has thicker eyebrows and more sunken eyes - but you'd still think he was Jekyll after a night on the tiles. As the whole point of Hyde is to let Jekyll have a night on the tiles without being recognised, it doesn't work.

If you want to see Hyde-as-performance, watch the 2007 BBC series Jekyll starring James Nesbitt.

Retro Futurist posted:

6- Dog Soldiers

God I love this movie. I haven't watched it in years, and it never seems to be on anywhere, but I came across my old DVD and tossed it in.

This is the movie that taught me not to literally judge things by their covers. It looks and sounds stupid, but it's really just a tremendously fun romp. The effects aren't great,but they smartly hide the wolves more often than not. It's also helped by a "way better than the material deserves" cast, and being a Neil Marshall film.

It's a basic story; a bunch of friends are in the woods, and get attacked by werewolves. Instead of helpless teens, though, the friends are a troop of hard rear end Scottish soldiers there for an exercise. It's a testosterone fueled blast and I love the whole damned thing.

It also stars Davos Seaworth from Game of Thrones, if you ever had the urge to see him in something else.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 21, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

26- Quatermass Xperiment 1955

I saw this as The Creeping Unknown. To be honest, I'm not sure why Quatermass didn't have bigger appeal in the States as I don't see anything that would've put off the appeal. He's a fairly brusque scientist and Donlevy does the role well. I still have a soft spot for Andrew Keir's version because Quatermass and the Pit was the first Quatermass film for me.

As much as you'd think the storyline's telegraphed from the start with the crashed space ship with it's sole survivor, we're left with knowing something's wrong with the survivor but we get to learn along with the rest exactly what's wrong. It's a nice build up to the punch. Richard Wordsworth really sells Carroon the survivor's slow deterioration.

I like this one. The monster lurking in Westminster Abby's quite a something for the day with it being an amalgam of everthing and everyone it's eaten. Part of me's curious to see what would be possible with modern effects tech, but then the rest of me's sure they'd screw it up with crappy CGI somehow.

You don't need to wonder, the BBC did a new Quatermass a few years ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

This is a challenge? Who isn't going to watch a James Whale movie this month?

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, it's killing me that she's moving this fast while I'm still waiting behind the starting line for 10 more days...

I actually love that some people are putting as much effort into this as I do, and the only person I truly aim to beat is myself

31 Jean Rollin movies on your slate, then?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

5) House of Wax (1953)

As with the two Jekyll and Hyde movies, watching House of Wax immediately after Mystery of the Wax Museum gives a lot of deja vu. And although Price is a far stronger lead, the better known movie suffers from poorer pacing. The disfigured Jarrod is given plentiful screentime before he appears in his disguise and wheelchair just before the intermission, so you're already inclined to think it's him. The later movie is also ten minutes longer without any real extra plot, and while some of that is given over to 3D exploitation (the barker with his paddleballs being the most egregious example) the rest feels like it's repeating scenes you've already seen. Still, it's fun to watch Price's early rendition of the performance he would later perfect in The Abominable Dr Phibes and Theatre of Blood.

I'd also forgotten that Charles Bronson had an early role in this movie, under his real name of Buchinsky.

E: Oh, yeah, and I did watch it in 3D.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Day -10 - Alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

You can tell that Ridley Scott worked on the very early seasons of Doctor Who (if he hadn't gone on vacation that week, he would have been the guy to design the Daleks). Alien is very much a standard plot that the show used excessively in early years. Step one: "We're just a pack of average Joes in a remote location." Step two: "Hey, what's this weird alien thing? Think we should mess with it?" Step three: "Oh poo poo! We shouldn't have messed with it!" Step four: "drat it, this thing is picking us off one by one and it seems like someone here is a traitor!" Okay, that's also a lot of B-movies of the 1960's, but in this instance it likely is the television show that led to Alien. There's even a story that aired right around the time the script would have been written that is about 75% of the way to Alien (Ark in Space). Of course, the movie does all of it better and Giger's designs work way better than a guy covered in green bubble wrap.

I'll chuck out a couple of factoids that you may not have been aware of. The BBC repurposed some of the Nostromo sets for the Vogon Constructor Ship in the Hitchhiker's Guide TV series; and when Lambert is killed off camera, HHGG actress Beth Porter is the person who screams.

I also have Black Lagoon in 3D. It's on my list, if I have the time and access to the TV for two loving hours.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Please don't disparage my adopted horror child.

You adopted a devil fetus?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

6) Theatre of Blood (1973)

After watching House of Wax I felt like another Price mad revenge movie, and this one is for my money the best. It's often so unfairly judged for lacking subtlety as to cause the director to go on his own rampage against critics, as there's a lot of great touches in the background. I must have seen this six or seven times minimum, but I never before noticed that one of Lionheart's followers is drinking meths at the wine tasting. It also happens to be very funny, very mean, and the horrible things couldn't happen to a more horrible group of people. A movie that everyone should watch at least once.

Fun factoid: this was the last movie of the great Jack Hawkins. Hawkins lost his larynx to cancer in 1966 but continued to act in speaking roles for the last seven years of his life with the aid of his friends Robert Rietty and Charles Gray, who would dub his lines.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CRAYON posted:

15. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Ishirô Honda's last Godzilla film is a much more somber, plot driven affair than the last few entries in the series. Honda is great at taking Godzilla and his enemies and using them to make you think about much larger questions. While asking these questions he chooses to leave a lot of the camp and well.. fun at the door. This isn't to say that Terror doesn't have giant monsters battling, it actually has quite a bit of that, it just chooses to do it in a much more self serious way. Ishirô Honda brings a feeling of consequence that I think Fukuda chooses to leave out in favor of fun, whacky adventure stories.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is definitely a good closer to the Showa series. It's one that I really look forward to rewatching in the future, separated from this marathon I've been doing, so that I can experience it without thinking so much about the craziness that came before it.

Okay, the Showa era is done. What a tonal rollercoaster that has been. From serious horror to whacky sci-fi romps to psychedelic environmental warnings, I've enjoyed most of them and feel even stronger in my love for the big green atomic lizard. But now I'm going to divert from Godzilla to checkout new to me horror/kaiju before I start the Heisei era of films, most of which will be rewatches.

You missed one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

7) Spider Baby (1964)

It's quite hard to describe this movie. It strikes a weird balance between tame and corrupt. Is it exploitation? Is it comedy? The cast don't seem to be taking it entirely seriously, for sure, but is that bad acting or what was intended? Still, it's a solid late-career performance from Lon Chaney - who also performed the theme song - and a fascinating turn from 18-year-old Jill Banner, who sadly never attained great success and died in a car accident aged just 35.

Fun fact: Quinn Redeker, who played the smarmy Peter, is best known as the Oscar-nominated writer of The Deer Hunter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

There is exactly one film that takes place in this city (and was partially shot here).

It was featured on MST3K.

Lucky you. There's also exactly one horror feature that takes place in my city, and MST3K would reject it for being so bad. I may watch it anyway, it being on YT, but if I don't get halfway through I'm still counting it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I was going to say, you haven't seen Near Dark?

8) Lifeforce (1985)

A spaceship investigating Halley's Comet encounters a 150-mile long artichoke and in accordance with the grand tradition of Alien and Quatermass, brings home some alien lifeforms. Needless to say, this is not a good move. The two male aliens are quickly gunned down and disappear until the end of the movie, but the female is not for reasons which are definitely plot-based and have nothing to do with her being a permanently naked 20 year old French girl. Hijinks ensue - a zombie apocalypse, Patrick Stewart getting frenchied by the male lead - before a final confrontation set in the ruin of an exploding Dorset theme park. Some pretty neat effects, also some pretty terrible effects. Unfortunately it's way too long at 116 minutes.

Fun fact: Frank Finlay and Michael Gothard both played non-English characters, but had to use English accents as Mathilda May spoke no English and was learning her lines phonetically from them. Like many things in the movie this makes no sense whatsoever; she's supposed to have learned English from a memory exchange with the American Carlsen, so would logically have picked up his accent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

9) Burnt Offerings (1976)

This movie was made between The Haunting and The Shining and it was definitely influenced by and an influence upon those two movies respectively. I think I should have enjoyed it more than I did, but I wasn't engaged with it. Burgess Meredith and Eileen Heckart are wasted in tiny roles before the stage is turned over to Ollie Reed and Karen Black hamming it up. Bette Davis was a highlight, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

10) The Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)

The last great Universal monster picture, this tragic tale of home invasion was a huge influence on many movies that followed it, most notably Michael Haneke's Funny Games. OK, this is a minor wind-up. But the great strength of the Universal horror movies was always the pathos they engendered for the monsters. The Gill-Man is no exception; on the one hand he's responding to a bunch of asshat Americans getting up in his poo poo, and on the other he wants to get his end away with Julia Adams.

Another interesting point is that while Creature was shot for 3D, and indeed was a pioneer of the format, there's very little use of the obvious cheap trick of throwing things at the screen. The effect is chiefly used to lend depth to the superb underwater sequences.

Fun factoid: everyone remembers the famous scene where the Gill-Man is carrying off Julia Adams in her white one-piece swimsuit, right? But its a false memory created by the posters - Adams does wear the suit, and the Gill-Man does carry her off, but in separate scenes.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 1, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

Yeah, I just set that up as a limitation for myself. Whenever I do these, I mostly try to focus on covering my horror blind spots.

15. Repulsion (1965). Directed by Roman Polanski
Saw via: Netflix DVD

Put this one off for ages because Roman Polanski is a bad person. The dude could make a hell of a horror film, I'll say that. Repulsion's such an intimately crafted pressure cooker of a film that it kinda makes me mad I like it so much. The cinematography is next level poo poo, impressively claustrophobic and unnerving. I know hundreds of people have made this point before, but there's something cruelly ironic about a series of incredible films about the horror of being a woman viewed by men (this and Rosemary's Baby) being made by a known sexual predator.

If it makes you feel better, both those movies predated the predation and also the murder of Sharon Tate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

11) Phantom of the Opera (1943)

I felt like watching another Universal movie while I had the box set out anyway, so went for the one I haven't seen before. I shouldn't have to summarise the plot, which is just as well as like a real opera the movie eschews much of it in favour of songs. On the other foot, it's a really good looking movie. It was the first - and I think only - Universal horror picture in colour, and it absolutely pops with rich reds and blues. Jack Pierce also did an excellent job on the Phantom's injuries; although it doesn't compare to the horribleness of Chaney's design, it looks extremely realistic.

Fun fact: the role of composer and pianist Franz Liszt is played by Fritz Leiber, whose son Fritz Jr wrote several horror novels famously adapted into movies including Conjure Wife.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I find it hilarious that you identify Fritz Leiber by his horror novels, not his enormously influential fantasy stories.

In the Horror Challenge thread? Sir, this is a McDonald's drive-by.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Netflix and Prime lists from the OP have been updated for the October additions. Prime in particular picked up some good stuff like Return of the Living Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Child's Play, Candyman 2(underrated), The Cell, and The Strangers. Netflix added less but a few great ones, like The Shining and Blade.

There's also a new version of The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix as of the 12th. 10 episodes, looks into the history of the house as well as the present day investigation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I know from my description, it's probably got more than a few having that feeling. If anyone's posts here come closest to that same 'makes my eye twitch' his analysis rants he'd do, it's SMG's posts. That's why it took me so long to come to the horror threads, I read a SMG post and thought everyone here was like that.

I think we can all agree that dating SMG would be a bad move.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

12) Idle Hands (1999)

It's The Hands of Orlac, but with weed! I picked this movie up mainly because when it came out the entire DVD section in HMV was smaller than the discount horror movie Blu-Ray section is now; the joys of being an early adopter of the format. It's so painfully late 90s that it hurts - it stars Devon Sawa and Seth Green, the Offspring are still relevant enough to make a cameo and Rob Zombie was a musician - but it's got some good makeup and splat. Both verbal and physical comedy are mostly funny and at 88 minutes the script doesn't hang around. I'll recommend it.

It's weird to think that this movie is now equally far back from the present as Friday the 13th was when it came out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

Also, my birth year, 1978, almost feels like cheating since it has Dawn of the Dead, I spit on Your Grave, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Piranha, and mother loving Halloween

I've got possibly an even better year - Black Christmas, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires and TCM.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

13) The Slayer (1981)

Billed as doing Nightmare on Elm Street years before NOES did it, so I was interested. It follows Kay, a woman plagued with recurring nightmares who goes for a rest vacation on an island with her brother and their spouses. Horrible things ensue as Kay dreams about them, but you never see who does them. Is it Kay, or the monster she dreams of? This ambiguity persists even when the creature is finally revealed; if you look closely, it's reminiscent of a rotted version of Kay herself. You can easily believe that she has done it all and imagined a monster that is herself. In many ways it's more like Candyman than NOES. Unfortunately the movie ends by playing the "it was all a dream" card, which spoiled it for me - the ambiguity being left unresolved I could accept, but turning it into the nightmare Kay has had all her life is a copout.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

Halloween begins Nov 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPI9b9N6CQ

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #6: Video Nasties

:ghost: Watch a Video Nasty*

or

:ghost: Watch a film about the Video Nasties

*It must be one of the 72 films officially listed as a Video Nasty

You loving had to do this the day after I watch The Slayer, didn't you?

Anyway, my Birth of Horror entry:

14) Dark Star (1974)

Strictly speaking this is a sci-fi movie, but so is The Thing From Another World. The first two acts are half comedy and half a study in confinement, but they set up the end well. Once the fear and tension starts in the last 20 minutes it's relentless. Doolittle's conversation with his dead commander is pretty drat creepy as well. You can see in it the seeds of all Carpenter's future movies, both horror and non-horror.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

It hurts my eyes!

It's crazy looking back.

It's fun looking at people finding Let The Right One In every year and having the same discussion about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

15) Dracula AD1972 (1972)

Dracula has risen from the grave yet again, summoned to the 20th century by bored dopers, where he plans to take his vengeance on the descendants of Van Helsing. It is never adequately explained why Dracula is included in a Satanic ritual, but who cares? It gave us a really good Orbital track. Also we discover in this movie that Dracula likes his coffee the way he likes his women - he'll take black if there's nothing else, but it's not his first choice.

This was Lee's first Dracula movie in 12 years, and while he's on imperious form he probably should have stayed away because he was let down by the material. Johnny Alucard's death in particular is unintentionally hilarious - at least, I hope it was unintentional. I've never seen Satanic Rites of Dracula, but from what I hear it was even worse for trying to be funny.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

15) Series 7: The Contenders (2001)

In America's most popular reality TV show random people are selected to kill each other on live television until one remains. The only prize - survive three seasons and you're free. And did I mention that the reigning champion is nine months pregnant? Presented as a marathon of the seventh season complete with massively intrusive camerawork, human interest segments, cheesy music and dramatic reconstructions, it's a ruthless examination of how utterly soulless the reality genre is. There's some very hard scenes to watch, but I don't think any of them measures up to the thought that this movie is 17 years old now and nothing has changed.

I'm counting this one as my Queer Horror challenge, as it's a pivotal plot point that one of the Contenders is gay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

16) Possession (1981) (Video Nasty challenge)

And that cover pretty much sums up the movie. In this live action hentai Isabelle Adjani shacks up with a tentacle monster with the power to make anyone in its presence overact grotesquely. Sam Neill responds by abusing her, the rest of the cast, and any scenery unfortunate enough to cross his path. There's no subtlety to any of it, no sense of character, everyone acts like they're in a bad stage play. Carlo Rambaldi made a good fist of the monster, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

17. October 9 - Tetsuo: The Iron Man

Well this movie is just loving insane. It's a 70 minute nightmare of farcical body-horror, like Eraserhead, Videodrome and Begotten had a baby, with a soundtrack that's feels like getting beaten with a hammer. It's metal as gently caress (literally). One of four movies on IMDb listed under the "Giant Metal Phallus" tag

You know you're just begging people to ask what the other three are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BioTech posted:

21. Ghosts of Mars

Assault on Precinct 13 in space. It doesn't have the same atmosphere

Well, duh.

• Locked thread