Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Twenty Four posted:

Also, could I renew an account that had characters beyond level 200 on the free to play program and still play those characters outside of Shadowlands and Alien stuff or whatever? Or play some of my decked-out sub 200 characters on that account despite having a few over 200? I'm guessing the answer is no, and chances are those characters were lost to time over a decade ago, and there's probably only like half a dozen people reading this thread, but worth asking!

Nope, once an account has the expansions there's no way to have it be F2P again.

The characters almost certainly still exist, though they probably have some random garbage name now due to server merges etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Someone give me or help me grind more grid armor for my idiot fixer.
:colbert:

how are you grinding it? i actually logged in for my annual 5 minutes the other day (and chtted up Gridfroob, if thats you/one of you)

i killed a bartender with my EQB opifex NT, popped NS that i forgot i had, and that was that!

of all the video games on the planet to be dead i wish this was not one of them tbh. its one of the few decades+ old games that imo are legit still fun and not rose tinted. every time ive actually played/gotten a group its still a game i love playing

ive been playing a lovely game called The Infinite Black 2, which for some reason reminds me of AO even though they really arent that similar. i think its because of the community that plays- that same always willing to help/answer questions jovially, all continents being thrown together on one server etc

its also the best free game ive ever played+works on every platform you can ask for and is persistent across all and works very well across all. tib2.com has it for free, or steam has it for like $5 with some bonuses that dont seem worth it unless you wanna give money to them, which id rather do direct through their site since it gives you more useful stuff for the money that way

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
All they have to do is put the implant system into Dune and it will be game of the year.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Cross posting something AO related from another thread again. Nothing special really but I figured why not post it here too, in the AO thread. Maybe someone will have some memories or a take on this.

Twenty Four posted:

While not survival related, the "people raiding your base while you are offline or doing something else" chat reminded me of Anarchy Online from years ago. Getting a call from a friend at some ungodly hour or inconvenient time because your organization's base was getting attacked was simultaneously exciting and annoying. People would intentionally schedule raids at odd hours just to take advantage of that, and grudges were formed, and that sucked. On one hand there were "safe hours" where your base was invulnerable, but that could be negated by someone in your org accidentally attacking another base and all hell broke loose. Trying to do damage control politics was stupid. So was dropping everything to rush out to defend just to find it was some noob that didn't know what they were doing was a waste of time as well. The end result of it all usually was some sort of cold war stalemate situation where everyone left each other alone for fear of retaliation.

The things that were fun about it though was PvP was level bracketed, so there were "sweet spot" levels, where you could attack certain ranges of other players but be unattackable by others, so leaving PvP "twinks" logged out at your base and having a call to arms and wrecking some people that thought they were going to waltz in and destroy your towers was pretty enjoyable. Also, other than some mild almost negligible buffs, there wasn't much to be gained by having a base other than bragging rights and the opportunity to PvP, so losing a base wasn't really a big deal beyond the annoyance or piss off factor.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Twenty Four posted:

Cross posting something AO related from another thread again. Nothing special really but I figured why not post it here too, in the AO thread. Maybe someone will have some memories or a take on this.

To be fair, tower buffs can often be key in doing some of the more disgusting twinking you can do

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

To be fair, tower buffs can often be key in doing some of the more disgusting twinking you can do

Yeah agreed that tower buffs had their use, like in that case, but it probably wasn't going to ruin your character at like level 200+ or whatever. I always tried to keep some small amount of spare IP in reserve in case something somehow went sideways or to compensate for some sort of gear change especially on regular play characters. I do rarely remember friends not being able cast some nanos because they lost a tower, or putting specific towers down to unlock something, but I tended to play it a little more safe so I wouldn't be caught with my pants down, so to speak.

In context of what the other conversation was about, it was along the lines of games where you have a real "home base" that people online could wreck while you were offline and it would completely mess up your game, where your base is sort of the point of the game. Whereas in AO PvP towers were more there for the sake of PvP than being your in-game end goal, and the tower buffs felt like they were meant to be a nice little bonus.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well, I have decided I want to deep dive into an MMO that I haven't played extensively before, and I randomly selected this one. I played a little bit at launch but didn't get very far.

I recognize this is an exercise in insanity. The economy is borked. Despite updates to the new player experience, this game lags far behind any other Premium/Freemium MMO. Beyond that, I understand it is ridiculously complex

Despite this, I am playing an Optifex Fixer named Frostypox. My plan is to play in a chill fashion. I want to level up and do whatever kind of content the game has to offer, but I'm in no rush and have no desire to be power-levelled or anything of the sort. Still, any advice is welcome.

It's my understanding Fixers are mostly crowd control, speed buffs, and blasting poo poo with SMGs. They can also jack into the Matrix which.... I don't know what that does. Anything else I should know about them?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That jacking into the matrix bit is pretty neato and lets you fast travel/teleport around more than other classes.

You also get pretty good HoTs.

You can also make a good deal of money by running quick missions for other players for specific nano programs, turning the completely broken economy in your favor. This is somewhat doable at a lowerish level. I don't remember the details on this but I remember it being fairly easy to do when I hopped back in to this game several years ago. If you do this you may or may not want the third party program Clicksaver, if it actually still exists.

If you're going with a free account there is a ton of content you won't be able to touch but there's still a fair amount of dicking around in a free mmo available to you, and I think your best weapons will be BlackBirds. Ignore this if you're paying for expansions.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FunkyFjord posted:

That jacking into the matrix bit is pretty neato and lets you fast travel/teleport around more than other classes.

You also get pretty good HoTs.

You can also make a good deal of money by running quick missions for other players for specific nano programs, turning the completely broken economy in your favor. This is somewhat doable at a lowerish level. I don't remember the details on this but I remember it being fairly easy to do when I hopped back in to this game several years ago. If you do this you may or may not want the third party program Clicksaver, if it actually still exists.

If you're going with a free account there is a ton of content you won't be able to touch but there's still a fair amount of dicking around in a free mmo available to you, and I think your best weapons will be BlackBirds. Ignore this if you're paying for expansions.

I'm not paying right now, but if I manage to wrap my brain around it and end up liking it, I wouldn't be opposed to paying. Sounds like Fixer's not a bad choice. I wonder if I can find a... what are they, Organizations in this? that won't mind having a dopey newbie who may or may not be interested in doing big boy stuff

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Fixers are pretty fun, probably my most played and favorite character. Level 217 or something out of 200 from base game and 220 from the expansion? Those last few levels only make a small difference and take forever. Anyhow, yeah it's a really old game and I haven't played in years but I have fond memories. To answer a few questions with some possibly outdated answers:

FrostyPox posted:

It's my understanding Fixers are mostly crowd control, speed buffs, and blasting poo poo with SMGs. They can also jack into the Matrix which.... I don't know what that does. Anything else I should know about them?

For crowd control, I guess they have roots and snares, but unless you are blitzing something (running through missions ignoring enemies just trying to "blitz" for the reward item) damage can break roots pretty quickly. I rarely used roots or snares much in practice other than occasional blitzing. As an Opifex fixer (good choice) maxing agility and stacking you evade skills will let you evasion tank a lot of stuff making the CC stuff mostly pointless, especially with grid armor or a set of other good armor (I had GA4 but mostly used the set of Azure raid armor with Syndicate Shades for style I had because grid armor didn't work in shadow lands because of dumb reasons). I could evasion tank with my HoT's as all the healing I needed other then maybe an occasional emergency backup heal doing the Heckler mobs of all levels in shadow lands that people grouped up for leveling as well or better than a proper tank, just a bit more spiky damage wise because you rarely get hit but when you do it hurts a bit more especially if you get unlucky with a few hits in a row.

For buffs, the big ones are the speed and evasion (gridspace freedom or GSF is the last one if I remember correctly), NCU (how many programs you can run at once, memory basically), and the "long" and "short" heal over time (HoT's, later in game the long ones can last like half an hour, the short ones a few minutes, and you can run both at once). Of course your self SMG buff. Also the ability to "grid out", or enter the grid, a fast travel system, almost instantly, initially for you, and later for your whole team, can be a life saver if things get to be too much. It also helps you and your friends get places much faster, as there can be quite a bit of travel in the game, which also makes fast fixers convenient. There's a separate fixer special grid, or Fgrid, that gives you even more travel options with additional exit points.

SMGs, as you stated, are the primary weapon of choice, with burst typically being the most common "special attack".
https://anarchyonline.fandom.com/wi...%20More%20items is a good list of fixer weapons, and I think my progression was using OT Kerrans Automatic Grinners for cheap leveling because they were easy to get and equip, and had a fast fire and recharge rate which let you slide your bar further towards the defensive setting without affecting fire rate. Later in teams where I could go full aggression on the slider I used a QL200 Manex Catastrophe December. With shadowlands expansion, the Syndicate Messenger gun was my gun, and with the alien expansion I used a pair of those Kyr'Ozch machine pistols modified with burst and fling shot (type 5) on that list.

Again, I stopped playing a little while after the Alien Invasion expansion, so some of my info might be outdated or misremembered, if anyone has corrections or additions, I'd love to hear them if anything because I enjoy reminiscing about this game.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FrostyPox posted:

Well, I have decided I want to deep dive into an MMO that I haven't played extensively before, and I randomly selected this one. I played a little bit at launch but didn't get very far.

I recognize this is an exercise in insanity. The economy is borked. Despite updates to the new player experience, this game lags far behind any other Premium/Freemium MMO. Beyond that, I understand it is ridiculously complex

Despite this, I am playing an Optifex Fixer named Frostypox. My plan is to play in a chill fashion. I want to level up and do whatever kind of content the game has to offer, but I'm in no rush and have no desire to be power-levelled or anything of the sort. Still, any advice is welcome.

Where are you at? I think I started a similar character with a boatload of cash. Pretty sure that one is neutral so we could meet up.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It was pretty late when I started so I'm still in the early parts of the tutorial area. Like I just got the first part to make the fake id

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
I'm still playing this ancient mmo if any of you guys want company, usually US pacific west times. Can help set up your fixers with grid armor.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I might play a little tonight, but if not the definitely this weekend

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So I got to the mission where Stan Goodman wants me to get Antonio's Adaptation Factory for him. I got it, but he keeps saying it's the wrong item. Not sure what to do here

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm dumb and was handing him one of the wrong things

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Unfortunately not a lot of time time today but I'm plodding through the tutorial. I have several Nanoformulae I can't use yet. Should be able to use them in a couple levels. Seems like I've got most of the signature Fixer Nano lines started, the two HoTs, a snare, and a couple of buffs, though no evasion or speed buff yet. Again, I feel like this isn't the BEST tutorial but it's adequate so far. I got a crafting tutorial mission, but it's my understanding that basically only Engineers and Traders can really craft beyond this one mission.

So far it's interesting enough to keep me going. Interested to see how you pick a faction since I remember back in the day you picked it at character creation, but now I think you're Neutral for a while.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 10, 2023

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

One fixer tip: do not put IP into Matter Creation unless and until you have a GA nano in your possession (the summon nanos are completely not worth it.)

Also, be aware that if you ever pay on an account, you can’t turn it back into a free account.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I'm thinking on creating a free account and see if I can get back into it or if it's all nostalgia, likely going to make a little fixer myself. I'd probably be going Omni-Tek since that's what I used to play with my friends, and it has the most benefits, unless the few people here still playing are overwhelmingly Clanners then I might consider that, but probably sticking with Omni. Anyone still here entirely one way or the other on that currently?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Kalman posted:

One fixer tip: do not put IP into Matter Creation unless and until you have a GA nano in your possession (the summon nanos are completely not worth it.)

Also, be aware that if you ever pay on an account, you can’t turn it back into a free account.

So far I've just been auto allocating, and I know there's one nano skill it hasn't been putting points into. I think it's Matter Creation. I also think I have one respec I can spend? I'll start looking at a guide around level 20 since i think that's when you can no longer auto allocate

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

So far I've just been auto allocating, and I know there's one nano skill it hasn't been putting points into. I think it's Matter Creation. I also think I have one respec I can spend? I'll start looking at a guide around level 20 since i think that's when you can no longer auto allocate

You don't have to sweat IP allocation too hard early. Main stats to max are Agility, SMG (main weapon skill), body development (ie your hp), evades (close combat + dodge ranged mostly, can skimp a bit on duck explosives), Treatment (for implants), and Computer Literacy (for better NCU).

Nanoskills you don't need to touch until there's a nano you want to actually cast. You can also get a free HUD item to buff your nanoskills after you exit Arete:
https://www.ao-universe.com/guides/classic-ao/tradeskill-guides-6/gadgets-5/ncu-hacker-interface

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

van fem posted:

You don't have to sweat IP allocation too hard early. Main stats to max are Agility, SMG (main weapon skill), body development (ie your hp), evades (close combat + dodge ranged mostly, can skimp a bit on duck explosives), Treatment (for implants), and Computer Literacy (for better NCU).

Nanoskills you don't need to touch until there's a nano you want to actually cast. You can also get a free HUD item to buff your nanoskills after you exit Arete:
https://www.ao-universe.com/guides/classic-ao/tradeskill-guides-6/gadgets-5/ncu-hacker-interface

Excellent, thanks for the tips!

I went to Newland and grabbed a random mission from a terminal since I guess you have to join a faction to use theirs, it wouldn't let me take missions from the Terminal in Omni-1. I remember low level missions usually being in a random door in the city but this one sent me way out into the desert to a Rhinoman camp, and now that I think of it, when I played I barely left the city for missions since I didn't play very much. Regardless, running around the procedurally generated cave was weirdly nostalgiac. :unsmith:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well this was not the best weekend to start a new MMO, I have been super busy :smith:

I'm wondering if it's smarter to do the procedurally generated missions or grind in the subway? I should probably join a faction first anyway since it seems to be all benefits and few drawbacks whereas neutral has no drawbacks but no benefits.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FrostyPox posted:

Well this was not the best weekend to start a new MMO, I have been super busy :smith:

I'm wondering if it's smarter to do the procedurally generated missions or grind in the subway? I should probably join a faction first anyway since it seems to be all benefits and few drawbacks whereas neutral has no drawbacks but no benefits.

The quickest way to get XP as a froob is to do daily missions for the Mission Agencies in Old Athen/Rome Blue. The normal mission handler should give you something you can easily solo, and the senior mission handler should give you a list of things to kill in a dungeon - up til 25, this will be the Subway. If you're on a paid account, you can also get an alien mission.

Details here (AOU is pretty much the be-all-and-end-all of knowledge for this game)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

The quickest way to get XP as a froob is to do daily missions for the Mission Agencies in Old Athen/Rome Blue. The normal mission handler should give you something you can easily solo, and the senior mission handler should give you a list of things to kill in a dungeon - up til 25, this will be the Subway. If you're on a paid account, you can also get an alien mission.

Details here (AOU is pretty much the be-all-and-end-all of knowledge for this game)

Oh neat, bookmarked that page. Thanks a lot!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
One week in every two there’s also dailies to get in the Arbiter’s Office in ICC

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Also even if you hate PvP the “illegal notum miners” daily is quick and easy and doesn’t actually require any PvP (unless you get extremely unlucky.)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kalman posted:

Also even if you hate PvP the “illegal notum miners” daily is quick and easy and doesn’t actually require any PvP (unless you get extremely unlucky.)

Oh yeah, forgot the Borealis PvP dailies too. The battlestation ones complete whether you win or lose the match

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Oh and once you hit the right level (100?) the Reck dailies open up too.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kalman posted:

Oh and once you hit the right level (100?) the Reck dailies open up too.

90 for those. The cargo ones for each faction and the notum tower one are very easy even at 90, the others will likely need a group

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I had a lot of fun my last time playing, but I was botting, and I think it ruined me from ever playing AO again. Especially given the extremely low population, and realizing that a major portion of the population bots exclusively from 180(or whatever the minimum level for the new Inf missions is) to 220.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

I had a lot of fun my last time playing, but I was botting, and I think it ruined me from ever playing AO again. Especially given the extremely low population, and realizing that a major portion of the population bots exclusively from 180(or whatever the minimum level for the new Inf missions is) to 220.

By botting do you mean afking while someone else clears missions for you? Yea that's pretty common these days. An ARK named Spacequest also runs an alien invasion event every other Saturday that gives massive EXP, alien exp, and tokens to anyone present in the zone where the aliens invade. Spacequest events + daily missions are how most people level their alts past 200 and finish research lines these days.

If you want the old school experience of active teaming, some players run an "ironman" league every few months (https://www.reddit.com/r/anarchyonline/comments/ym275m/ironman_season_5_starts_today_on_rk5/), where they level + team and raid without outside help.

van fem fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 14, 2023

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
No, I mean like fully automating missions/grinding. But yeah, people pay for people to do that for them.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Update:

I'm level 12, I just decided to go clan. Got a mission from the clan agency (which is what I've been doing which is also why I decided to go Clan) to draw out and kill a Shy Eremite. Took me a minute to figure out it's invisible and I can target it for the blue dot I have to chase on the map.

When it finally popped out of the ground I nearly had a heart attack. It also killed me really easily. I don't know why, it was same level as me.

Edit: Oh my gun is still QL2 and I'm using patchwork armor from drops, so I bought the Newcomer's armor and upgraded it, that will probably help quite a bit.

EDIT EDIT: Yeah the armor has helped immensely. Takes a long time to kill 'em with this gun, but they can't really hurt me much. Of course the scifi game on the desert planet would have me use a vibration device to drive out and kill sand worms lmao

EDIT 3: As soon as I say that, the second one burrows when it's almost dead, regens to full, and this time when it re-pops, hits me like a truck and kills me :negative: Just bought a better healing stim, I'll finish this tomorrow lol

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 25, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

One more question: I want to make sure I understand Grid Armor.

There's 4 tiers, and the only way to get it is to either buy the Nanocrystal from the player market, or find it as a drop? Is that correct? I guess it's ~level 60 at the lowest level so I shouldn't worry too much about it for now.

EDIT: Oh poo poo it's the crafting mat that drops and I'll have to find a crafter to make the Nanocrystal? Jeez

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 25, 2023

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That sounds right to me. You'll probably be able to find someone to buy it from or simply gift it to you, especially if you join an org, much more easily than way back in the day. That being said it isn't super necessary. It will allow you to dodge tank basically everything for several levels (like 10+) before you need to upgrade it but you can also rely on whatever good armor for your level and heal tank through a lot of stuff.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

One more question: I want to make sure I understand Grid Armor.

There's 4 tiers, and the only way to get it is to either buy the Nanocrystal from the player market, or find it as a drop? Is that correct? I guess it's ~level 60 at the lowest level so I shouldn't worry too much about it for now.

EDIT: Oh poo poo it's the crafting mat that drops and I'll have to find a crafter to make the Nanocrystal? Jeez

As someone whose first and main character was a GA fixer: don’t bother with Grid Armor unless you luck into it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

All right, I won't sweat it and if I get it, I get it.

Mild bummer since in my limited frame of reference, Grid Armor is one of Fixer's Big Things (the rest being go fast, teleport via the matrix (Neuromancer matrix, not The Matrix Matrix), machineguns, hackerman)

My entire time playing I've been thinking about how much I think I would enjoy an updated version of this game. Not, like, go full WoW-clone, of course, but update the graphics, streamline some things, add better in-game documentation, etc

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Honestly I think a lot of us would. The game has a lot of really weird quirks that a modern take could be pretty cool. I'd update a lot more than just the graphics but try to keep all the weird unique bits and customization. I also liked shadowlands, which has some neat lore and keeps the weird spirit, even if it did veer a lot more into fantasy than the nano dune base game and aliens expansion.

But then again, Funcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Spot on, in fact they promised a 2.0 for years. Engine update, ui, etc. I desperately loved this game in its prime. Wrangling alts was a science I couldn't get enough of. Heckler camps, etc. Always trying to make absurd builds work, plenty of cool loot, and really liked the atmosphere.