Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm back on my bullshit, installing this 20 year old game...anyone still playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

yummmmmmmm

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Kind of insane they don't have a $5 option that adds just shadowlands or something to the froob package. They could be getting $60/year I'd just forget about until this thread gets bumped and I reload my original characters, play for a few days, then stop when I remember I'm still a level 131 fixer and grinding GA mk2 and 3 is literally mind-numbingly insane.
:pwn:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fewd posted:

Yeah, who am I kidding. Funcom being Funcom they'll just flip on some random event like Halloween and call it a day.

GMs will go onto the live servers and use the ~forbidden commands~ to create a lightshow which crashes the server.
:pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Floob posted:

True. I never got into the blitzing, and would role my own stuff, but never sell anything. I started playing at launch, and only got my first character to 220 a couple years ago. I have had some nasty breaks in play time, but I always come back. The big problem now, is people don't come back as often as they used to. There's just not enough there to hold you...

This is me except I never got my original, launch-era fixer past 132...at some point I accidentally unequipped all my over-leveled stuff, so now every time I log back in I just run around for a few days, try to kill some stuff with the weapons I can use, and then wait for the cycle to start anew! Figuring out where to start with GAmk2 always drives me off.
:smith::hf::unsmith:

lol I was an ARK. :pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Statutory Ape posted:

its kind of funny how a noob would probably struggle to grab the 5 mil for a yalm or whatev meanwhile veterans are like ugh i have to make yet another account to store my riches

Last time I logged in some rando just gave me 50m. :homebrew:

Floob posted:

Look no further than the evolution from the earlier games such as Everquest. You absolutely needed help, and you needed to wait around for health and mana to regen. Anarchy Online evolved from that, to the use of science to remove the wait time, but you still needed help. Now games are adding mercenary characters you can purchase to assist, and making multi-boxing easier through mindless combat, and increasing solo play activities. The daily mission system obliterated group play in AO and I hate it... But is the technology just following the trend, or are the designers setting the trend? I don't think people want to group or socially interact with others like we used to. Look around AO for role-players. You will find some, but there used to be dozens of orgs dedicated to roleplay.

I have a very specific memory of looking for groups at 20k while listening to Dvorak and I don't know why this is the one memory that has stayed, decades later, but it'd be fun to get a pickup group and just shoot mobs.
:member:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The Bronto Burger in Omni Trade was where my guild hung out and it is usually the first place I go whenever I log back in...which will probably be soon.

I wonder if I could ever find my apartment in Jove, if I could ever get back to Jove...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Floob posted:

Am I missing the joke? West Athens is literally the starting Rubi-Ka city for clanners. Sorry if I missed the joke :)

I think it's a lore joke that it was founded by OT. Neutral seems like the best choice, too bad you can't wipe affiliation.

Having always played Omni, seeing the Rebel zones was fun when I got teleport around to boop people out of geometry!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

I am trying to find people to play with what is the best way to hook up with goons?

lmk when you find out

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
One day I want to get my original-roll opifex fixer from launch into GA mk4 but omg I have no desire to grind 2 and 3, much less 4...

:ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Floob posted:

Yeah, I have the program for GA I ready to load on my fixer, but raising the skills to use it sucks, especially if I will never spend the time getting the higher versions, which will be essential by then. Better just to use the shadow spinner program they added with Shadowlands.

I got GA1 back when O1 Trade was still poppin'. I vaguely remember going through the whole quest, having to hand the pieces off to different NPCs (a bunch in Neutral territory, which I had never been to), and then just using GA1 long after I should have switched to GA2 and twinked into GA3...
:sweatdrop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fewd posted:

Probably confusing with fgrid quests.

I think it's only good that rk2019 is dead. Generally speaking a sensible prerequisite for having a second server is that the first one doesn't resemble the surface of Venus when it comes to player population.

oh yeaaaaaah! It was the fixer grid quest!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Floob posted:

I still play my main character I created on the day of launch, and it was the slowest grind of any game I have ever played. Too much hanging out at Reets, or the Cup, and just enjoying the story the players were always putting together. The only questing I can remember were the quests for the sided-shoulder pads. You had to run around and kill all the robot bosses, Trash King, etc. Then when they implemented social clothing I did a bunch of those missions. Getting to 200 and then 220 was never the goal for me. I finally did get to 220, but I was 209 for a couple years before I finally made the push. The daily missions I hate did help quite a bit...

The crazy thing was, especially at release, leveling in AO felt so fast. In other games released at the same time, leveling up was like AD&D: it was supposed to be special and take forever. AO made a point of giving you dings every few minutes...kill a few leets and level up. It made the game feel like there was no grind, because it was pretty easy to level up pretty much every play session, if you could find a group. My poor fixer, with my lovely build, was always picked last for dodgeball...
:unsmith::hf::smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ddiddles posted:

I'm getting flashbacks running around Omni trying to find implant parts while this played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q29q3aeY3Jk

Now I'm both happy and sad :(

Yeah...that's some good :member:

Just running around between shops for hours, listening to WinAmp while hearing that big hit in the background on a loop... :hmmyes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
What is Heckler Juice?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
oooooooooooh!

So I can pay to twink myself?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

Is there anyone still playing on the normal Rubi-Ka server? I could use help playing. :P I made a fixer that is level 12, but am really confused by implants, and NCU's. I don't know how to pick them and find what I can equip.

Oh gosh there is a lot of minmaxing involved and you’d think since I have a 20 year old fixer I’d have some great advice but...

Uhhhhhh...

I don’t think it really matters until you decide if you want to grind Grid Armor or not...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Kalman posted:

You don’t.

I swear I’ll get GA2 one day (my AO character is old enough to legally drink)...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

galenanorth posted:

It looks like they deleted my froob account from nearly 20 years ago, which is understandable, but I like to think that when I create an account on an MMO, it'll be there for as long as the MMO itself hasn't shut down, so I wouldn't want to try it again. Back then, my fps would drop to 5fps in the busiest areas like the area near the vendor hub of the tutorial island, but I was playing through it anyway. It had a great soundtrack

Just to echo: you should be able to reactivate the account with a button push on the website. Just log in and go to subscriptions and reactivate for Froob status!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Someone give me or help me grind more grid armor for my idiot fixer.
:colbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

FrostyPox posted:

Well, I have decided I want to deep dive into an MMO that I haven't played extensively before, and I randomly selected this one. I played a little bit at launch but didn't get very far.

I recognize this is an exercise in insanity. The economy is borked. Despite updates to the new player experience, this game lags far behind any other Premium/Freemium MMO. Beyond that, I understand it is ridiculously complex

Despite this, I am playing an Optifex Fixer named Frostypox. My plan is to play in a chill fashion. I want to level up and do whatever kind of content the game has to offer, but I'm in no rush and have no desire to be power-levelled or anything of the sort. Still, any advice is welcome.

It's my understanding Fixers are mostly crowd control, speed buffs, and blasting poo poo with SMGs. They can also jack into the Matrix which.... I don't know what that does. Anything else I should know about them?

Where are you at? I think I started a similar character with a boatload of cash. Pretty sure that one is neutral so we could meet up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DrZepam posted:

i member having a naked doc around 190, and equipping the implants/symbiant just to be able to cast the first SL heal will be painful if i relog.

Edit: gently caress it im downloading the client

You should be able to reactivate your old, legacy account!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Didn’t most MMOs shutter their volunteer programs years ago because they didn’t meet minimum wage standards? Even offering a free account at $15/month only covers about 2 hours of work and ARK required a lot more than that when I was in…

:rip: GM Island…

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Worf posted:

Funcom is doing a new sci fi mmo in an existing IP and it is not ao2

(Dune)

i don’t understand those are the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The grind of those old MMOs was fun because of the community. Spamming LFG in 20K or looking for someone to give you enough boosts to equip some new weapon had a culture that just doesn’t exist in modern online games. Or, more accurately, was replaced by different cultures. In twenty years the version of this thread will be about Fortnite or something.

Good grief, does anyone remember the early days when vendor NPCs would only talk to one PC at a time and we had to queue up to buy implants? Nostalgia is a curse.
:member: