Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alongside my obvious pick of Bloom Into You, I'll definitely be trying Tsurune, Spyce, and Anima Yell. Got a bunch of maybes after that: Might try Slime Isekai, might try That Trigger Show That's Actually Trigger This Time, probably gonna try Irozoku because it looks pretty and PA Works has a good track record, might try that bunny girl show with the weirdly serious PV just to see what the gently caress.

Probably gonna pick up an older shounen off the backlog too, now that there's no more HeroAca for a bit. Maybe finally give Brohood a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

sentai got bloom into you, gently caress

Hopefully the manga's popular enough that some talented fansubber out there picks it up, at least.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

What looks good this season I haven't paid attention at all due to school

Spiritus Nox posted:

Alongside my obvious pick of Bloom Into You, I'll definitely be trying Tsurune, Spyce, and Anima Yell. Got a bunch of maybes after that: Might try Slime Isekai, might try That Trigger Show That's Actually Trigger This Time, probably gonna try Irozoku because it looks pretty and PA Works has a good track record, might try that bunny girl show with the weirdly serious PV just to see what the gently caress.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

i thought they were super heroes in training.

That...all used wands and magic and flying brooms and wore the same costumes? I could understand thinking "oh, that one superhero's power is just that they're a witch", but ALL OF THEM?

I mean at the end of the day it's not that big a deal, they're both good fun shows, but LMAO my dude

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

haha wow I would not have guessed it would be that edgy

any chance the anime will, uh, tone that down a least a little?

Probably at least a little if only because of laws around what you can put on TV, but 1.) I bet the sentiment will still mostly be there and 2.) Do you *really* want to find out?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eeesh, they're getting around lately.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

glad for sentai going around making GBS threads up the state of official subs

At least they haven't gotten any musicals yet this season

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also it sounds like they're being coy in a way that very unsubtly suggests a Madoka-esque 3rd Episode Whammy of some sort, so curious what that turns out to be.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

e: Starlight needed another 35 episodes and a budget and David Cage doing punch-up on the writing while on French acid.

...why David Cage?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Decided to try Akanesasu Shoujo/The Girl In Twilight on a whim after a few twitter friends livewatched. Pushing some very mid-2000's Magical Girl-adjacent adventure show buttons. Definitely not gonna be AOTS or anything like that, but seems like a perfectly entertaining way to wile away half an hour every monday for a few months.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Zombie Land Saga, but it sure wasn't a black comedy about an extremely strange man forming a screamo idol unit out the shambling corpses of 5 undead idols.

Sure. Why not? I'm game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd been looking forward to seeing how Bloom Into You would hold up on a production level for quite a while, and I'm really delighted with how the first ep turned out. If they keep up that level of quality throughout they're gonna have a good one on their hands.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not personally watching Run Like The Wind, but everything I've heard about it places it in kind of a Free!-esque Sports Character Drama sort of niche.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The weird, no-chemistry relationship is intended.

The premise of the manga is that both main characters have a weird, unhealthy attitude to relationships, and Nanami suddenly deciding she's into Yuu is part of that. Pretty much 80% of what happens in the manga is exploring why Nanami thinks that way, and it takes a good ~15 chapters until you have enough context for her behaviour to make sense and for their relationship to not feel odd.

So all that stuff is absolutely the point, though I haven't seen the episode so I have no idea how much ground the show is going to cover. I suspect it'll end around chapter 30 because that's the most natural break-point in the manga so far, so you can probably expect it to take anywhere between 5 and 7 episodes until things start falling into place.

Eh, I'd say you get at least a decent idea of what Nanami's deal is by the end of volume 1 - they'll probably get there by the end of ep 2 or 3 IMO. They go into more detail and stuff after that but there's a very specific scene I'm thinking of where Yuu goes "Oh I think I get it now."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Okay interesting! That's good to hear, thanks.

Yeah I might switch to the manga, the presentation of the anime might be doing more harm than good

FWIW if you decide to read the manga and find yourself still on the fence, I'd say the end of volume 2 is a good make-or-break moment. One of my favorite scenes in the manga, kinda crystallizes the story's key dynamic for the next like 3-4 volumes. If you get that deep in and aren't sold then you probably aren't gonna get sold.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I do wish Dogakobo was dedicating more of its best staff to the wholesome (I assume) cheerleader show instead of that tho

(Watch those be famous last words)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shinozaki-San is The Most Dogakobo yuri manga I've ever seen

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1048599746372202497

I don't know how the slow, uneventful therapy show about quietly camping with your friends blew up like Yuru Camp has, but I'm sure glad it did.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gridman's an interesting beast. Very, very, very moody relative to Trigger's reputation. There isn't a note of background music until 3 quarters of the way through the episode. I'm not sure what it's going for just yet thematically, but it's really solidly executed so far so I'll stick around and see if I can find out.

Also it sure looks like that early twist they keep hinting at is just that they're in the loving Matrix. Kind of hope it's at least a little bit more complicated than it appears.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know who did it first but I know that the shots in Gridman where there's enormous, majestic Kaiju corpses just looming over the city skyline is dope as gently caress

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, a week in and right now my season's looking like follows, in rough order of quality:

Bloom Into You: Very sturdy-seeming adaptation of one of my favorite manga. If it finds/invents a good stopping point and keeps relatively close to the production standard established in the premiere it'll cruise to my AOTS.
Zombieland Saga: Delightfully dumb, demented premise established - but it has a rather difficult tonal tightrope to walk IMO. Could wind up being real good, real bad, or anywhere in between - but we'll always have that great first episode.
The Girl In Twilight: Looks like a fun B-tier action piece - strong cast, decent aesthetic, good soundtrack, intruiging premise. This'll probably be as high as it ever gets on my seasonal rankings, but it looks to be fun in a throwback, Mai-hime sort of way.
Release The Spyce: Namori does a more overtly goofy Princess Principal. I'm not entirely feeling the character writing in the first episode, but I wasn't entirely feeling it at this point for Princess Principal either, so eh. Was certainly fun and funny. Could rise or fall a fair bit depending on what the writing gives it to work with.
SSSS Gridman: I'm not entirely sure what we're going for yet, but after a visually striking and intensely atmospheric first episode, I'm certainly interested in finding out.
My Neighbor The Vampire: Cute, wholesome, spooky. Shame the production's a bit janky, and the show's 4-koma roots are obvious but still - a cute and wholesome way to kill 20 minutes on a weekend.
Reincarnated As A Slime: The first episode was a bit too heavy on the exposition for my liking, but the animation is really excellent and I'm hopeful that, with the exposition dump out of the way, the rest of the show could lean harder on what I'm told is a really solid action-comedy. Could rise quite a bit on my list if it does, because the animation and direction seem more than good enough to carry the writing as far as it can possibly go.
Anima Yell: Yep, this sure is a DogaKobo Manga Time Kirara adaptation. I'm not really sold on the cast yet, but I like Manga Time Kirara and I like what Dogakobo does with those stories. It's just not filling as much of a niche for me this season when I have Bloom Into You providing the Yuri and shows like Zombieland, Spyce, and Slime providing the comedy. Could possibly climb above Vampire Neighbor if the cast establishes itself more strongly.

Dropped:
Between The Sea And The Sky: Came in, perhaps foolishly, hoping for something akin to a mix between Aria and Yurucamp, with cute girls serenely casting out fishing lines against a space-y background. Got a C-tier children's show with low-rent Love Live characters awkwardly shilling some mobage instead. This would be a drop even in a much weaker season than Fall seems to be.

Still (Probably) Going To Try:
Bunny Girl
Tsurune (when it comes out in 50 years/two weeks)
Irozuku

Pretty loaded season, especially by my standards.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Watch the Slime show to meet goblins who are cute and friendly and want you to protect them IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NateMing/status/1049430766919147520

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

next week should be even better on the cute goblin front. i'm still just in awe of how light and funny the slime adaptation is, even with totally invented gags like the dragon names or the noble commissioning the adventurer's guild. the comedic timing is great and they're still going wild with really fluid slime animation.

Slime-kun's visuals are indeed a lot of fun and carry the show even where the writing's just okay. I liked episode 2 quite a bit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

double decker, reincarnated as a slime, skull-face bookseller honda-san, and the vampire neighbor anime are all pretty good and worth watching, imo, if you want to have a nice fun time. never watch the space fish show. rerided is disappointing. i'm dreaming of a day when anyone else gets to stream spyce and bloom into you but otherwise have no opinions on them..

double decker is the best.

that's my season so far. thank you for reading.

FWIW, Asenshi is a pretty good fansubber group that's picked up Bloom.

Not that I would ever endorse dirty piracy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Inconceivable

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Can't wait for the plot twist where one specific show arrives just in time to save Anime

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

I rate this list ~75% non-questionable, dunno about hanayamata

Hanayamata is good and wholesome and loudly colorful.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

After a lack-luster second episode, I am pleased to report that Akanesasu Shoujo has swerved back towards the magi-tech girls show I wanted.

It's the uncommon sort of show where I actually like the 3D CG more than the traditional animation work, tbh. The fight scenes so far have been pretty entertaining.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Knorth posted:

In three days or so. It was delayed a week due to a typhoon I think

Due to scheduling issues around coverage of the typhoon, to be precise. Sakuga blog’s saying that the production itself was unaffected, just the broadcast schedule

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think they just call that a pre-roll?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Soooo wait - since VRV and Crunchyroll have the same stuff, does that mean HiDive stuff is coming to Crunchy?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Is UzaMaid worth watching despite the loli obsession?

My understanding is that it features some of studio Dogakobo's finest animation alongside the ceaseless gags about how the maid is lusting after a grade schooler, so

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tsurune's first ep was more or less exactly what I expected from the premise 'KyoAni does a show about high school archer boys.' Very, very pretty backgrounds. Minato's scar is metal AF. I've heard of people getting hurt by snapped bowstrings before, but I always got the impression it was more 'I got an ugly welt' than 'my entire side literally got split open like someone got me with a sword.'

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i assumed it was somehow related to his mother's death, like an organ transplant or something

Seemed way too jagged and messy for that. I hadn't considered the possibility of it being the bow itself breaking or some other kind of accident tho.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I was hardly a master at archery when I did it but target panic was a big issue for me as well. Think I'll be keeping an eye on this series (and the manservice).

Is Target Panic supposed to be fear of anything in particular (like the bow giving out, loving up the shot, etc), or just a generalized shooting anxiety?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That was literally a thing that happened to the Comiga mangaka that very season IIRC

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Akanesasu Shoujo has rebounded nicely from a rather dull second episode over the last couple of weeks, mostly by A.) getting rather gleefully dumb and B.) inviting Tomoyo Kurosawa to put on increasingly silly voices and impressions. Good fun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Man, this season's been really hard to find a series to be interested in. We can't even get past the blurbs to try anything...

Might just have to start at the top of https://myanimelist.net/anime/season sorted by rating, and work our way down until something sticks...

What're you looking for, besides 'anime?' I've got some good options for romance, action, and comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, is there any meaningful tension or conflict in Slime? I know a bunch of folks seem to like it, but it sounds suspiciously like one of those 'overpowered protagonist bulldozes through everything, fixes everyone's problems with the dozens of superpowers they've pulled out of their rear end' shows, and I tend to find those pretty boring even when the power-fantasy they're fulfilling isn't outright reprehensible.

Nah, I'm sticking with it mostly because it's rather funny and well-animated and because it seems like a rather good-natured sort of power fantasy. Less "what if you were the ultimate badass" and more "what if you had the ability to see lots of cool places and help lots of cool people."