Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

gmq posted:

I can't believe there's going to be no MHA this season. The one anime I watch. :negative:

Honestly same, even though I finished like 7-8 shows last season.

Why live without the uplifting struggles of young people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

everyone in new jojo is between 15 - 21 and they struggle with reforming organized crime and having to drink another guy's piss

I'll probably watch it, even though I'm in the minority and the 4th jojo kinda lost me. (fell off watching it and never picked it up again in the second cour I believe)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Decided to try Akanesasu Shoujo/The Girl In Twilight on a whim after a few twitter friends livewatched. Pushing some very mid-2000's Magical Girl-adjacent adventure show buttons. Definitely not gonna be AOTS or anything like that, but seems like a perfectly entertaining way to wile away half an hour every monday for a few months.

Sorry, what is AOTS. I'm vaguely interested in magical girl shows.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

anime of the season

I understand.

Thanks.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Anyone ever watch that folding ideas YouTube talking man on Evangellion? The show kinda frustrated me that when I first watched it because as some kind of teen more than several years ago I was totally unprepared to actually engage with the metaphors and meaning behind the series and how it built up to the climax. I guess it just goes to show how important critical tools are to understanding media, and makes a statement about audience (like me) who often have trouble engaging with any of the subtext and get wrapped up in the text.

Anyways I thought the Folding Ideas video was great and gave a very clear summary of the show and why the ending made sense considering the subtext, and offered an explanation for how the movie made sense on several levels despite diverging slightly from the show. (I was one of those people who was put off by the original ending of the show when I first watched it. )

That's my Eva comment! Thanks for reading!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

a kitten posted:

He did a follow-up video too, check that out if you haven't.

Yeah! Thanks!

Endorph posted:

Folding Ideas' take is, like a lot of western anime critics in general, ridiculously audience-focused so try not to take it as just like, the text, form your own thoughts on what eva was trying to say, 'cause thats what art be

I guess so! I think that he had a lot of points about the authorial intent of the work which was neat. It's also nice to hear other people's opinions about stuff you enjoy, and I think his opinion elevated my own.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I watched Akuma no Riddle cause I thought that persons avatar from like a week ago looked cool. It was dumb and got a dark in a lol edgy kind of way and the Akuma no Riddle of the show didn't seem to actually matter to the plot, but it had a fun and campy way to end the show. because it would be dumb to feel sad over, so everyone was okay and the main tension driving the show isn't exactly resolved cause they leave the evil organization that killed Harus family intact.

I don't know if it's true or anything, but I've heard it said that plays are comedies when there's a marriage at the end. In the same way Akuma no Riddle is basically a comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

The Romeo and Juliet thing was pretty edgy for the series Imo.

It felt like everything was played very sincerely, it would be hard for me to see it as a parody. I enjoyed everything though!