Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Part 5 easily has the most Italian representation, but its not the only part that passes the Bechedelli Test.

For those of you who don't know, the test consists of three criteria:

1. The work must have at least two Italians in it,

2. Who talk to each other,

3. About something other than food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Wasn't half that an act? Dude has done a lot of hamon, even if he's hella inconsistent about ever using it. Also he's incredibly rich in NYC, and has the ear of whatever the gently caress the Speedwagon Foundation can do. He could easily crack 100

:agreed:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Yinlock posted:

part 5 is not the best part but it is the gayest part, somehow even outdoing part 2 on that front

this isn't a complaint mind you

Where is Steel Ball Run on this scale?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

there are different kinds of gay

thank you

Jotaro could easily be the subject of a Tom of Finland drawing.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Anyone else wonder if Billy Corgan was a fan of Stardust Crusaders?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

drjuggalo posted:

no because a black man named abdul was a main character

But what else could he mean by "the world is a vampire"?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Just took my shoes off and realized both my socks were inside out. Is it better to have both or just one inside out?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

It seems like the protagonists just get sleazier and sleazier the further the series goes on and I really like it. Does this trend continue?

I haven't read part 5 or 6 so I only have a limited impression of Giorno but so far he seems to be a continuation of the "bad boy with a heart of gold" characterization of Josuke and to a lesser extent, Jotaro.

Johnny in part 7 is more of an inversion of this. At first he seems like an innocent goodboy but then you find out about his past and throughout part 7 he's shown as a flawed, imperfect individual. He 's selfish and has a dark streak but it's nuanced enough that he never comes off as an edgelord antihero. He's just human.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 8, 2018

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Quick! Someone write a song titled “zipper man” and then threaten to sue for copyright infringement.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Also No Diggity is my guess for the part 5 ending theme.

W.T. Fits posted:

Ace of Spades
But this is the best name for a shovel stand.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

there is a reason araki is paid to decide what names are used and we are not

I haven’t gotten far into part 8 and I won’t spoil the plot but “Soft and Wet” is already my favorite stand name.

Previous protagonist’s stands were all named after hard, durable materials: platinum, diamond, gold, stone, and tusk. But soft and wet goes the complete opposite direction. Also it’s one of the more underrrated prince songs.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

track day bro! posted:

My uncle works at David Productions and he told me the ED is going to be Cotton Eye Joe by bad swedish europop group Rednex

But Cotton Eye Joe doesn’t show up until a flashback in part 7.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

i submit

for his nomination

Serious question: is Araki aware of how many people perceive his work as gay? I mean part of it is probably cultural differences and Araki's personal aesthetic preferences, and it never seems to leave the realm of subtext, but I can't tell how much, if any of it is intentional.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

nothing will EVER top Bad Worse Company

Filthy Acts, at a Reasonable Price

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

We still haven't heard the main version of the main character stand battle theme. Thinking back, did part 1 or 2 have any equivalent music for Jonathan or Joseph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utIO1It1nzY

This is a cover of Giorno's Gold Experience theme but I couldn't find an upload of the original.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, is this the first time that stand users actually fight it out themselves instead of it being basically psychic pokemon?

This was an issue for me early in part 3. I know the first few fights were just demonstrations but watching Magician's Red vs Silver Chariot seemed like a boring pokemon battle were the stand users just kind of stood there and announced their attacks. Ebony Devil was the turning point for me where stand battles were actually good.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also Overdrive. And Welcome to the World.

Yeah that’s what I thought. I think the lack of a central motif made the music in part 2 less memorable. The one theme that stays with me the most is “awaken” the pillar men’s theme.

I love Bloody Stream though and like Fighting Gold too, but it does seem a little out of place as the first OP of the part. The overall tone suggests an OP used when the hero is about to encounter the main antagonist. (eg. “end of the world” and “chase”)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

While I'm an anime-first JoJo experiencer, so I haven't seen the relevant manga chapter, I definitely feel like this episode in particular was enhanced by the addition of sound, colour, and motion. The whole episode had a fairytale vibe, with the meeting with Polpo in particular feeling like Giorno was petitioning some strange and terrible ogre for passage into fairyland.

Like if Miyazaki directed Silence of the Lambs

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the banana trick was really well executed bit of storytelling. If something like that had happened in part 2 or 3, the audience would have no clue what was going on until after the fact when the protagonist explained it. All of the setup would have happened "off camera". In part 5, everything is foreshadowed (literal Chekhov's gun in Polpo's cell) without explicitly giving away what happened when Giorno reached into the cell. And of course Polpo's speech providing Giorno the justification to, uh, 'defeat him using his own logic'.

I haven't read the manga, does it play out the same way there?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Now to be fair Angelo deserves that hell.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Terunosuke's family never saw him again. :stare:

I don't feel sorry for Angelo, but while Terunosuke was creep, I don't recall him killing anyone. Couldn't they have sent him to jail like Otoishi?

E: whoops meant to edit this into my other post.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

i love that every punchtime music sounds similar but different, it's a nice touch
Yeah I don't know all the terminology to dissect it musically but it rules and I don't want them to stop writing music like that.

It's hard to pick a favorite but I love the first one in Stardust Crusaders. It's got that surf rock guitar tone and is overall reminiscent of various 60s styles, like the "spy jazz" popularized in film and television soundtracks. And then in the middle they add a dubstep style drop and it doesn't ruin the song! I mean on paper it sounds really dumb but it's just the right amount to work.

You know what'd be cool would be an Ennio Morricone spaghetti western stand theme.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

I feel like the anime definitely framed it in that way where I didn't get that idea from the manga. Like they went to araki and were like "but seriously... why"

An homage to Tony Iommi and his lost fingers.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

RHCP is one of the most OP stands. Didn’t it have all A ratings except for, I think precision? Not that stats matter that much but it’s ridiculous that it’s a controllable over long distances without losing power/speed.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Red Hot Chili Pepper IRL

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1057484377960144896

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

That’s an easy costume for Josuke since he can use one of his dead grandpa’s uniforms.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Sockser posted:

Huh, I've always pronounced Narancia with four syllables and now I gotta adjust to three

A soft C in Italian makes a '"ch" sound. When C is followed by an A, O, or U, it's a hard C, which is a "k" sound. When the C is followed by an I or an E, it's a soft "ch" sound.
When you want a soft "ch" sound followed by A, O, or U, you write an I after the C and before the other vowel as indication that the C is soft. So the syllable "cia" is pronounced "cha."
If you want a hard "k" sound followed by E or I, you write an H after the C and before the other vowel to indicate a hard C. So the syllable "che" is pronounced "ke."

The same principle applies to hard and soft G sounds, which are 'g' and 'j' respectively. That's why "Giorno" only has two syllables and "spaghetti" has an H in it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ghirga would be pronounced gear-guh by those rules right

Yeah

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikefossey/status/1061050017270718465

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

JahRoo posted:

Just finished the first 4 parts, and caught up with part 5 so far. No strong opinions about 5 yet, but 4 had me absolutely glued to the screen in a way that 3 was never able to.

Im still mourning for my little goblin boy

I saw Shigechi's death scene before I started watching the series. I'd never watched the anime or read the manga and only had a cursory knowledge of Jojo's and I assumed he was some kind of magical non-human creature and the explosion wouldn't kill or permanently injure him.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm curious if, had Giorno fought Sale instead of Mista, could Kraftwerk have fixed Gold Experience's punches in place.

Because if not, it's funny that the worst person on the group that could've fought him did.

Isn't that just plain old fashioned good writing though? I mean putting a character in a situation uniquely unsuited to them.

Darko posted:

I'm just realizing animated that this is really where Stand fights get the pacing/comedy/timing of Joseph's hamon fights.

I loved part 2 but I haven't watched it in a while, could you give some examples?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, Jojo IS wacky random bullshit but its not bad wacky random bullshit.

Jojo is weird, sometimes wacky, and obviously bizarre, but that's not the same as being "random". "Random" means happening by chance or in some arbitrary way, like using a dart board, as Johnny Joestar (the poster) mentioned. Just because Araki doesn't plan things years in advance and sometimes changes things doesn't mean there's not a reason behind his decisions.

quote:

The genius of jojo is not that he just randomly makes stuff up, its that hes created a narrative reality which allows the reader to immediately buy into seemingly outlandish events.
This is a good point though.

Expect My Mom posted:

what makes JoJo work is that no one is looking at the camera and winking, or commenting on how weird this all is, that this is such a bizarre situation that they've found themselves in. Everything is presented with the gravest possible tone, and we're expected (and we do) to act with dread when the salaryman with a skull tie and his giant pink cat robot start shooting invisible air bubbles out of the cat plant in it's tummy.

This is probably my favorite thing about Jojo overall. Even obvious jokes, like this one work so well because of the dryness of the delivery.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

EDIT: Also I swear to god if someone starts getting all condescending about how hamoan in part 2 makes perfect sense I am gonna scream

I'm not saying there's hard and fast rules but generally using the ripple involves some kind of energy transfer or manipulates surface tension. It's not completely arbitrary.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Someone finally did it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muv_yxq1Lqs

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Would D'arby the Gambler be a good episode to show someone who has never watched the series? Even though the stands are mostly ancillary to the action I think it's one of the purest distillations of Jojo's story dynamics.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1068213084702027778

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It would be perfect as Dio's backstory, though.

You thought the person who saved you in the snowstorm was a random delinquent but it was I, DIO!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

get tiny, get stand to throw you out of the car like a softball, dismiss stand then resummon stand in position to catch you, place yourself gently onto roof, dismiss stand.

I don't think it was that complicated, he could have just grapped onto the doorframe before shrinking and climbed up to the roof as he got smaller.

But anyway, this got me thinking about how a lot of stands don't seem to take full advantage of the fact that there's a separate entity (often depticted as a "punching ghost" or other object, like a tiny plane) that I'll refer to as the "avatar" of the stand, to differentiate it for the "power" or effect of the stand. It seems like early on Araki played around a lot with the fact that the stand power could manifest as an avatar outside of the user's body. Some part examples are Star Platinum bringing things into Jotaro's cell, Silver Chariot being on top of the bed while Polnareff was under it. (IMO this was the first good stand battle in the series since up to that point it seemed like they were constantly changing the rules or having things happen off-camera/off-panel that decided the outcome.) Or the time they shrunk their stand's to go inside Joseph's brain. There are also lots of ambiguous moments like Jotaro grabbing onto a ledge with Star Platinum and pulling himself up, Jotaro getting behind N'doul without being detected (did he sprint, jump?) and in the final battle between Jotaro and DIO it was often hard to tell where the stand avatar was in relation to the user.
By part 4, stand ranges seemed to be more restrictive. I can only remember a few moments off hand where having a separate avatar was critical for Josuke or Kira in using their stands. Of course there's also stuff like Shigechi using harvest as a conveyer belt to climb up walls. In part 5 Gold Experience and Sticky fingers could both plausibly exist without a separate avatar. And I won't go into details, but there are stands in later parts that just stand or float near the user while their powers are active or they don't show an avatar at all for a stand power.

Now I'm not saying that having a punching ghost separate from the user's body is a bad thing, it's what makes stands unique from most other superhuman abilities. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like this fact is always used to it's full potential.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

My memory was bad, they're not exactly grinding genitals, but You Get It. '

:siren: Spoilers for people who don't want to see future character designs :siren:

Araki also really likes sensually posing characters with their Stands

Do you have a link to a page that has all of these compiled?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Somewhere there's a photo of a model sitting in this pose surrounded by knives floating in midair.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Star Platinum punches hard and fast, is tanky, and can stop time. Crazy Diamond can also punch hard and fast, as well as fix things that aren't Josuke.

Gold Experience can life punch people to have their souls jump out of their body. And also turn things into animals. And also reflect the damage those animals take. And also accelerate the lifespan of living things like trees. And also...

The problem with Star Platinum was how it was too perfect and had no drawbacks. Araki even made up a few extra powers like star finger or that time he inhaled Justice. It got better later in part 3 and Araki did a good job of writing around Star Platinum being overpowered

Crazy Diamond was the best stand so far from a narrative perspective. It had easy to understand rules and could do a wide variety of surprising things without completely breaking those rules. While it's still extremely powerful it never feels cheap, and Josuke not being able to heal himself provides an uncomplicated but meaningful drawback.

I haven't read the manga so I don't have a complete picture of Gold Experience, but so far my problem with it is how vague its powers are. When you don't have enough knowledge to know what to expect, there's no expectations to subvert, so nothing is all that surprising or impressive as a result. When you don't have a sense of what it can't do, it takes the enjoyment out of seeing what it can do.

And going back to the hamon comparison, I thought Joseph's rear end pull moments were handled better since the expectations were better established (Joseph is just a mortal human fighting immortal super beings) and his personality and attitude did a lot to sell things. In contrast Giorno is unnervingly polite and his feats seem less impressive by comparison since he's fighting other humans.

I mean I still like part 5 it's just that with Gold Experience, when anything seems possible, nothing is surprising.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Kuvo posted:

loving all these guesses at what vehicle the key goes to :allears:

Is it the yellow submarine from part 3?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dio would just throw knives at Fugo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Kikas posted:

Wasn't in the of DIO power complete control over every process in his body? Couldn't he just eject the virus from his body?

I don't remember if Dio could do that (probably, he did shoot his blood at Jotaro's eyes) but Jonathan could. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3NI3RQ20EU

JahRoo posted:

Pretty sure it was just body temperature, you’re thinking of kars.

Speaking of Kars, I was just thinking of how similar Gold Experience is similar to ultimate Kars.