Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hooray now we're into parts of Jojo I know nothing about beforehand

I'm in the opposite situation. I was purely an anime watcher until Part 4 ended, then I read Parts 5 and 6 (and started 7 a few days ago) so this is the first part I actually know everything about. Makes me a lot more nervous about posting, honestly, I fear spoiling something by accident.

But I will risk it all for my boy Bruno Buccelati and his own boys. And donut hair, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Grampa jojo is most certainly dead

People have lived to and past 98, though seeing his state in Part 4, yeah, he's probably dead. We should still celebrate his birthday.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Agoat posted:

I hope they are all happy and living good lives off screen :)

I'm afraid to tell you that there's no good life for a thief with no dignity, so Koichi is most likely living a bad life off-screen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Part 3 Jotaro becomes an infinitely better character when you realize that he's not a cool guy, but a high schooler trying to be a cool guy.

I admit, Jotaro is probably my least favourite Jojo but imagining him as just this guy constantly trying super hard to be cool makes him a lot more likable.

He also gets a lot better once Part 4 rolls in and he can be properly mature instead of a tryhard though, so it fits well with that as well.

Also I can't believe just how pretty this episode was. It's not Part 7 Araki levels of pretty yet, but it was an insanely good-looking episode and while I know first episode means it gets more work than what's coming, I hope the series can keep at least close to this level of quality for the rest of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tweet my meat posted:

It seems like the protagonists just get sleazier and sleazier the further the series goes on and I really like it. Does this trend continue?

Josuke is the weird exception to the rule being easily the second nicest Jojo after Jonathan, but yes, don't expect any Jojo from Joseph onwards to be a pure and good soul. They're all varying degrees of rear end in a top hat, which is what makes them greatly entertaining to watch, Araki has no issues with having a protagonist that's clearly heavily flawed and sometimes twists those flaws into actual strength, and it works, because Araki is an insanely good writer.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RubberLuffy posted:

how the gently caress is it only wednesday

I have already stopped time! Now it's useless to wait for Friday! Useless, Useless, Useless!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why the gently caress isn't it Friday

It's Friday in Japan, the country where Jojo airs.

It is not Friday in Italy, the country where Jojo Parte 5 happens, however.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If that selection is true, I vastly underestimated how homoerotic this part will be.

Don't worry. Unless you're a manga-reader, there's no way you could ever correctly estimate how homoerotic this will get.

No, it's more than that.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

part four is the best part. joseph is the best jojo.

:yeah: Though Part 7 is insanely good too and I can't wait to see it animated, hopefully it will happen before I die.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I know you're a good person because you felt bad for that 13 year old boy who was taking drugs, after you took him hostage in our magical fight and put him in potentially mortal danger.

In his defense, Giorno specifically said he wouldn't involve civilians, and Bucciarati also had no knowledge of Gold Experience's abilities beyond the sense overload. Anyone in his situation wouldn't think that they were putting a child in danger (especially since said child didn't even remotely look like one, Araki's art sure is interesting at times) and I'm convinced he wouldn't have ever taken that route if he had known about both things before.

There's a reason why his name is BRunO. He's a good guy. He's our Jobro.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You people are overthinking this hard. Seeing this child with giant eyes constantly staring at you while doing and saying nothing, blatantly analyzing you, would creep anyone out. Even if there's no real evil behind it, it's creepy and it's bound to anger people, which is pitiful because it's just a self-defense mechanism for an abused child that has lost all trust in people around him because each and every single person he could've trusted was a giant rear end in a top hat.

Until he got involved with the mafia, anyways. The mafia's full of cool guys.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

his real name is Benimaru

No, no, you have it backwards, Benimaru's real name is Polnareff.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

Nah, Araki is just only slightly less Writing By The Seat Of His Pants Than Toriyama.

Only later does he start preparing some notecards

Weekly deadlines are hard man

It should come as no surprise that Jojo gets, somehow, even better once Araki doesn't have to deal with weekly deadlines anymore (or the inherent limitation of aiming at a young demographic). Part 7 is a wonderful thing. It's also far as gently caress if you're an anime-only watcher, but believe me: all the wait will be worth it.

Meanwhile Part 5 is also really good despite how it has quite a bit of Araki clearly not being too sure of what he's writing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

the funniest thing about that pic is that handsome pic of araki combined with "my younger sister is in her 50's"

I wonder if immortality runs in the family and his sister genuinely looks even younger than he does.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Momomo posted:

Getting used to Giorno's new voice is so strange since I only really recognize him as Yuya from Yugioh Arc-V. I keep expecting him to dramatically yell "Ore no TURN!" and draw a card. It wouldn't even be that unfitting.

Polpo, the fun starts now!

*banana gun shot*

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Madtrixr posted:

Yeah he killed Grampa, THEN went after Tomoko, so Josuke was like double mad. Anger 2x. I'm surprised he didn't immediately smash angelorock but he's not that kind of guy.

He really isn't. Jotaro or Giorno may kill you. Josuke is not that nice, he'll make you wish you were dead. But you'll keep alive, suffering, horribly mutated.

Or he'll befriend you only to scam you and burn your house down.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sirtommygunn posted:

Koichi is so powerful that he stole Josuke's role as the Jojo that shows up in the next part.

It's a power only shown by one man before. But that man did not steal and had dignity, so I refuse to put this gremlin on the same level as true friend and businessman Robert E. O. Speedwagon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HellCopter posted:

Please guys, this is Jojos

The tiny plane probably turns people into dogs or something

Araki has been writing stands for three Parts at this point. He's good enough not to write himself into a corner with a Stand with such an extreme insta-kill ability for a heroic character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Much later on in the manga (Part 7), Araki dedicates a few pages to explaining once again every Stand rule.

The only thing I could think of was how absolutely none of them didn't get broken in Part 3 alone, nevermind the 4 Parts afterwards. The only one that was undeniably true was the one that wasn't a rule at all but a possibility.

Ignore any and all rules for Stands, they only matter when Araki feels like it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

At least there's no Stand that breaks all of the rules.

Yet. I think. :ohdear:

You'd need a Stand User that has several Stands, all of which are owned by several Users. Those Stands should be able to separate from the user without losing power and still be 100% controllable, be completely visible to people, and send no damage whatsoever to the Users, as well as being able to keep working even with the Users KOed or dead.

I think that's everything? I may be missing something.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

animatorZed posted:

The cursed sword from part 3? Remote is debatable, I actually don't remember if there was an original user.

Anubis isn't controllable and damage to Anubis may be passed towards the User...in a manner of speaking, considering the original Stand User is long-dead. It also never has several Stand Users at once.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 30, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/asikoh009/status/1057601448811216896

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Are you really a gangster if you don't have a dance ready for when you have to torture someone?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There should be a list of the most pulled out of arakis rear end stands

We'd never finish writing it. Just look at a list of every Stand in Jojo, that'll be easier. Or don't, because if you're an anime-only watcher that'd obviously have a crapton of spoilers.

W.T. Fits posted:

Ultimately, at the end of the day, Stand battles aren't determined by the relative power levels of the users' Stands, but by who can out-Galaxy Brain their opponent first.

This is very important. Remember Okuyasu's Stand was a one-hit kill with no real weaknesses beyond range, which is barely a weakness when every strong Stand is short-ranged in the first place, and even so Okuyasu wasn't nearly as dangerous as, say, Vanilla Ice who had a very similar power, simply because Okuyasu is the best boy and thus kind of an idiot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ranzear posted:

The only part that bugs me is Kraftwerk can only 'fix' things it touches (even if delayed/no longer touching).

How is Mista's hand stuck to the truck?

Read your own post. Kraftwerk can fix things it touches, but it doesn't need to keep touching them. Sale must've used his Stand on the truck's handlebar before Mista grabbed it, fully expecting him to do so, and thus Mista got stuck in place. Like the world's strongest glue.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The first two arcs of jojo are weird because you have to watch them to grasp what happens later on but nothing really identifiable as jojo really comes until part 3 outside of the posing

I don't think so. Larger-than-life characters and clever fights won through outsmarting the other side rather than brute force, together with strong one-liners, exist in Part 2 already (and to a lesser extent in Part 1).

The only thing Part 3 really introduces to the formula is Stands, which are obviously heavily important since they're the main method of fighting in the show, but the bases for the rest already existed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Given Joseph has Japanese family and his daughter lives in Japan, it's entirely plausible that he knows how to speak Japanese fairly well.

Knowing Joseph, he learned Japanese specifically so he could insult Japanese people and they'd understand his insults.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mimesweeper posted:

I showed a good friend of mine a clip of the boat torture dance. He knows nothing about Jojo and said "why did I just watch three homosexuals dancing in front of a severed head?"

Needless to say he's starting from part 1.

I don't think that'll exactly give him an explanation of that scene in particular, but it should at least show him that having several homosexuals on-screen doing varied poses is just what you should expect of JoJo in general.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Both Stands shrunk because they were mental projections in the first place so their size could be controlled.

This Stand ability never comes up again. Part 3 was still very much Araki making up what would become a great way to show fights.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Of course Mista would end up 4th.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RatHat posted:

To be fair when would that have ever been useful?

It's Araki, asking when a weird move would be useful is missing how he likes to write fights.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

What would even make his Stand to make Sheer Heart Attack? Why does he know how to use that? "Shoot! That woman is all the way over there! And I'm over here!"

Look, sometimes you just want to have something with no weaknesses, and then your Stand delivers. That's a good master-cat relationship.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/pidgeonsmith/status/1081025181575987201

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xand_Man posted:

Describing Jotaro as an edgelord in a cloak is reaching for the moon

I admit, his school uniform isn't really a cloak. He's absolutely an edgelord though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

If Rohan knew who Kira was, he could definitely write "You know Kosaku is Kira", but nothing akin to just being struck with information

Is there any difference between that and just literally teaching someone a whole language though? It's still inserting information despite having no real source for it, unless Rohan wrote a whole dictionary including phonetics and proper phrase structure into Koichi's head.

In which case, wow, that thing has a lot of space.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

jonathan and dio have this deep rivalry and respect for each other,

Also Dio must have, at some point, touched Jonathan's dick. And he clearly loves his body, too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nessus posted:

He drank the pee-pee

no it was jellyfish

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Prosciutto's error was not shooting four bullets. That last bullet would've killed Mista, and if it didn't, then the fact that he would then have four holes in his head definitely will.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

Whether you think its dumb or not, its quick thinking. I'm noticing that rather than flatout dumb like I remember, Mista is moreso just rash

Mista isn't Polnareff or Okuyasu, he isn't meant to be the funny dumb member of the group, despite being physically similar to them. That's Narancia's job. Mista is actually pretty clever most of the time, even if he's hot blooded.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Schwarzwald posted:

He's a good kid but hangs out with Worse Company.

Honestly, we wouldn't have a Part 4 if Okuyasu was more confident and clever. The Hand's pretty much the most broken Stand a heroic character in Jojo ever had, but it's held back by Okuyasu not being very good at using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nessus posted:

What would a Stand from supreme ironic detachment look like?

A computer where the only internet site you can enter is a forum.