Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why isn't Marc vs Mark such a hot button issue? Or Steven vs Stephen? (Stephen should be pronounced steffin, so it's wrong.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You misunderstand. Megatron was the name that he wanted Trevor to call him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, so what if I have just terrible, terrible urges, all the time. I hate just about everyone I meet and find faults in everything they do. If someone crosses me the slightest bit, even by accident, even if they're a good friend, I'll spend at least the next ten minutes thinking about how badly I want to kill them, dreaming up new and horrific ways to hurt them. Every woman I see sends me into constant daydreams about sexual assault. I have no real feelings besides anger toward anyone I meet.

Except that I was raised in a good home by parents with a good moral center, and I know that my urges are awful things that I should never follow up on for the good of the world, so I'll fake being cheerful and kind and generous, donate a portion of my salary to the homeless, volunteer my time coaching disadvantaged youths in a basketball league. My wife, kids, everyone who's met me thinks I'm one of the nicest and most caring people they've ever met. I constantly receive awards from the community or local government for my good acts, even though I never ask for them and I'm not interested in the attention. And yet, basically every time I'm around other people, I can't stop thinking about how terrible they are and how much I want to murder them.

Do I get into the Good Place? Once I get there and there's no "for the good of the world", I'm probably gonna start up with the good ol' fashioned ultraviolence. Isn't that my reward?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's very simple, I think. How would you react if one of the actresses had a scene where she took her top off and walked around shirtless for a while, and tons of people started posting about how turned on they were? I think that would be pretty obviously gross. It shouldn't be any less gross just because it's a man that did it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't have strong feelings on the issue, it just seems like such a weird thing to argue about when three pages of discussion about how great Janet looked without her shirt would be obviously pushing it.

Does it make any difference if Janet is technically an object?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

This position assumes men and women are treated equally. They aren't. It's less gross to admire a man's body to a television subforum because men aren't told from childhood that their looks are the only important thing about them.

Hm, that's an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered, and I think I have to agree. Less gross because it's not reinforcing stereotypes and piling on.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I would say there is a contextual distinction in that Janet's sexy waitress outfit carries connotations of fetishized servility (the extreme endpoint of this trope being Hooters or maid cafes), whereas the delight at shirtless Chidi is mostly coupled with praise of how well he/Harper takes care of himself.

I think this is overthinking it heavily, though. I definitely liked seeing Janet in the sexy waitress outfit, but "fetishized servility" wasn't anywhere on my mind, it was just "pretty lady showing off her curves." Sometimes jean shorts are just jean shorts.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Why did Chidi have to break up with Simone, and why can't Jason ever come back to visit Pillboi?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So maybe it's been a double bluff by Michael this whole time? "Oh no, now that you know you can't be saved your motivations are corrupt" - "Now that they think they can't be saved all the good they're doing can't have corrupt motivations"?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

double nine posted:

wait gruesome death lady was Bell? Holy poo poo.

She was the young girl that wandered into town with her brother with a story about how they were looking for their dad, and they ended up working for the brothel/saloons. They turned out to be grifters and got caught stealing, and Cy Tolliver beat them half to death and shot them the rest of the way.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Norwegian Rudo posted:

That's not really how I remember it. My recollection is that her character was basically a sociopath, while her brother was more collateral damage. Also, wasn't it Kim Dickens character who shot them because she couldn't take more of Tolliver's beating them?

I wouldn't say sociopath, she had a mean streak but she wasn't violent or anything, she was just a low-caliber con man. Cute, young-looking girl with a sad story and big puppy-dog eyes. They didn't focus much on her brother, but it felt like the two of them were just grifters who just wandered into Deadwood to hustle some money out of people and eventually steal a bunch of poo poo and run. And yeah, young kids who thought that, if their beginner's hustle worked on the idiots in their old town, Tolliver and Swearengen wouldn't see right through it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That reference is not at all obscure.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

I like this show, the fight scene was surprisingly well shot for a network sitcom (though there's a solid 6 second shot of Shaun's stuntman's face).

I kept trying to catch a glimpse of Janet's stunt double, and that hairstyle must be a huge benefit to anyone shooting an action scene, it was always flying around obscuring her face.

InsertPotPun posted:

It's shown Janet sometimes has to "look stuff up", she doesn't have EVERY bit of information in her head.
It's also shown that "looking stuff up" takes time.
So, in the time between when it became clear Janet was going to lose the ability to "look stuff up", and the time she DID lose contact, Janet only downloaded what she thought she would need.
Janet downloaded Kung Fu movies for self defense (or just because she knew Jason liked them).
She downloaded every first aid book she could find.
And she downloaded blackmail or valuable information for some people but not ALL.
But Janet didn't have time to look up Doug. He's so off the grid there was no way they'd ever interact with him.

Good try, but I don't know if it's really accurate. Did Janet download the numbers on a roll of lottery tickets sent to a random convenience store? I think it's more likely that she knows everything, but sometimes the writers slip up or have to ignore that to make a scene work.

My personal unsubstantiated working theory is that she's a bit like a computer, and she's got a perfect knowledge of the area she's in loaded into RAM, but would have to access her cloud drive to get more than general info on stuff she doesn't have loaded.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Did anyone else think Michael might know more than he's letting on, or might have something to do with the point system somehow? "He shouldn't get to sit there and say mean stuff" isn't much of a reason to kick Shawn through the gate when Shawn was saying cryptic things about how Doug wouldn't get into the Good Place. I think Michael was worried about Shawn implicating him in something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I feel like most lovely people never really think of themselves as lovely people, there's always some justification that puts them in the right. Rationalization is a powerful thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

FELD1 posted:

Please inform me as to how taking a few weeks off is "absolute bollocks."

There's not much more to it than that. It's absolute bollocks that they want to take a few weeks off. The episodes are in the can, the audience is waiting, just show the drat things. But they save new episodes for January because people don't watch TV in December or something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

When I was around 25 I gave up watching Venture Brothers as the episodes came out because of all their silly delays and decided I'd just watch the whole thing whenever they finished it.

I'm almost 40, never watched the rest. They've made like what, 80 episodes in nearly 15 years? Who could care anymore.

To be fair to the Venture Brothers, the delays tend to be between seasons, I'm pretty sure that once a season starts to air, all the episodes are in the can and there aren't any random skipped weeks.

It's also not a show that's going to benefit much from waiting to watch till they finish it -- the serial elements are pretty minor and the season finales aren't usually cliffhangers you're waiting on. Most of the episodes are standalone stories, so it's not like waiting till Better Caul Saul or something like that finishes up. It's not "who could care anymore", it's just that every few years there's a well-crafted artisanal cartoon that airs for a few months.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The last two season of The Venture Bros have been pretty serialized and had they not hosed counting, season 6 would have landed on one HELL of a cliffhanger.

I know what you mean, but in the context of "waiting for the show to finish", there isn't a major overarching story that leaves you super impatient between seasons where the delays actually happen. You can watch season 5 as it comes out and then you're not stuck waiting three years till season 6 to find out if Tuco kills Walt and Jesse. (I could be wrong, but I also think the "planned" end of season 6 was at the end of that storyline and wouldn't have been a cliffhanger.)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

It's age. Something about age. Doug had a lot of points, but when the accountant found out what his age was he noped. Dying too old or without reproducing (and/or raising at least one child to adulthood) probably disqualifies you right off the bat.

Without knowing what the points cutoff for getting into the Good Place was, the age thing doesn't really tell us much other than older people will need more points than young people. The accountant said Doug was doing well, then said oh, he's in his fifties? Nope, not gonna make it. Maybe you're right, and people usually need the +1,000,000 points from raising a child to adulthood. Or it could mean that the Bad Place hacked it or it could just mean that people used to gain a lot more points per day. It's possible that there's something people are constantly doing that's draining their points away, or it's possible that the type of "good" things people are doing today just aren't worth as many points as the sorts of "good" things they did 500 years ago. Doug has a positive total, but it's possible that he's not aware of something negative that he's doing, or that the "good" things he does every day for some reason aren't worth very much.

Or maybe everything is working as intended and you just have to have virtually no flaws to get in!

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 8, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I personally don't care about spoilers, but you should probably black-box that quote. It kinda derails the discussion we've been having, too.

e: good man :)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The trick to pineapple on pizza is that you need to put it on somewhat sparingly, pair it with a salty meat -- I actually like pepperoni and bacon over ham, since they have much more flavor and texture -- and make sure you squeeze out the water before it goes on the pizza. I'm convinced most of the people who talk about pineapple on pizza like the devil have just gotten a soggy mess of a pizza where all the pineapple juice drooled out and made the cheese melt all weird. You can do a lot of damage to a pizza with pineapple if you're not careful.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 10, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Taear posted:

So does that mean you stay at the point you died forever and no new people ever come to your paticular afterlife?

No, I think you die in 2018 and go to the afterlife where it's on Jeremy Bearimy time. Then from your point of view, the next day you welcome to the neighborhood a new arrival who just died in 1984. The next day someone arrives from 2025. It doesn't have to match up, or go in a linear direction.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Taear posted:

So then how do they say it's been 512 years since someone went to the afterlife?

It's been 512 years Earth-time since the last person got in.

This isn't that hard. They can still see Earth, you guys. No matter where in the Jeremy Bearimy they are.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Taear posted:

So time still progresses somehow on Earth and it's still 2018 even though 300 years have passed.
Which I'm down with, I just think that them trying to explain it has sorta made it worse than if they'd just left it hanging.

I don't know how else to explain this. The afterlife is in Jeremy Bearimy time. Earth time progresses like it always does. There isn't any relation worth talking about. Earth time goes straight. Jeremy Bearimy squiggles in on itself and loops around so that they can spend 300 years running different Bad Place scenarios and looping around Jeremy Bearimy, and still pop out in 2018 if they want to. They can tell no one's been admitted to the Good Place in 500 years because they can look at Earth and see that it's 2018 there, and the last guy who went to the Good Place died in 1500 or whatever.

I know I can't explain this as well as Ted Danson in professor mode, so maybe just watch that scene again. Or maybe it'll just break you.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

Oh, no, the Bad Guys just made the Numbers Wrong.

This was just Michael's wild guess after hearing that no one had made it into the Good Place in hundreds of years. I think most people are expecting there to be more to it than that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Because it implies they made it, rather than being made elsewhere & having the rights to it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

look smarty pants are you gonna tell us or not??

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The frozen yogurt really should have given the game away. You're in your eternal paradise, your earthly body has fallen away and you're now an immortal spirit, and you STILL have to go with the low-fat option? There is literally no version of heaven where you eat frozen yogurt over actual ice cream.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What about the tribe on that island that's never interacted with the modern world before, the one that killed some rich idiot who landed there a few months ago? Wouldn't they be out of the system and get into the Good Place?

I mean, I guess not the ones who killed the idiot.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

The fact that there’s a hell were you’ll be tortured for eternity for actions during a limited time will always suck, no point system can salvage that.

Look, you're provided with a book of rules that you need to follow, so really it's your own fault if you end up there. (Also the book has been passed down through thousands of years of sometimes-corrupt humans, and also there's a bunch of books that might be the real one, and there's a bunch of weird and outmoded passages in there that seem really immoral, so good luck with those.)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CaveGrinch posted:

I’m glad typing in “Trevor the Good Place” in Google didn’t clear that up for you in far less words and effort than others doing it for you.

Sometimes people will ask questions of other people instead of Google because they're interested in hearing other people talk about the subject. That's how you get weird derails like a hundred one-line posts covering Adam Scott's career.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

In the real life Good Place there's a TV that, no matter when you turn it on, there's always a new The Good Place about to come on and it's always fresh and interesting and funny.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not entirely sold on The Detour, I watched the first two seasons and I haven't cared enough to watch the third yet. The husband and wife are just too dysfunctional, and not in a fun way. I dunno, it's had some good bits, but it just doesn't all come together well enough I think.

Santa Clarita Diet was wonderful, though, and I wish it had gotten another season or two. Has Drew Barrymore done any other work in the last, like, ten years? It took me a few minutes to recognize her, but she was fantastic. And I could have SWORN that her rival real estate agent lady was Alicia Silverstone in a sort of mirror of 90s hotties, but it's just some actress that looks just like her.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ardlen posted:

She was Juliet O'Hara on Psych, maybe that's where you recognize her from?

Never seen Psych, no. It's not that I recognized her from anything, it's that I was absolutely sure she was Alicia Silverstone until I googled it to make sure. I thought it was a really good bit of casting to mirror Drew Barrymore -- a hot 90s actress that hasn't done any work in the last fifteen years to rival Barrymore, another hot 90s actress that hasn't done any work in the last fifteen years. Apparently no, they just found a doppelganger:

I'm not even sure which is which in that photo.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 8, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It makes it more uncanny considering we haven't really seen her in anything in the last ten or twenty years.

That girl could have grown up to look like either of those women.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I know the young one is Alicia, but that young pic is basically the last time she was in the public eye -- in the intervening years she could have grown up to look exactly like Maggie Lawson.

Or hell, maybe it's face blindness. Even with you pointing it out I can't tell anything different about their chins or mouths or eyes that I wouldn't think could be explained by makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Oasx posted:

I agree that Parks and Rec came back strong, but part of the reason the last season was so good was because it had been pretty bad for 1-2 seasons before that, and everybody was expecting more of the same.

I just did a rewatch over the last couple weeks, and I dunno, I feel like it stayed pretty strong til the end. Seasons 5-6 were a little bit directionless once Leslie left the councilman seat, but they were still very much worth watching. (Although they did hit that awkward spot where half the cast is marrying the other half of the cast and they all had a baby together at basically the same time.) It was still a sweet, funny show till the end.

e: I also don't think that's a very uncommon opinion about Glee.