Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Are these games enjoyable enough for a filthy casual with a mouse and keyboard who has no plans to buy a joystick?

Mouse and keyboard is mandatory cause what the X series is menus hidden under a space sim

I for one am hopeful this time around cause I did like X3, I just could not get through its clunky UI so I just shipped around until I died :v:

By the looks of it they are keeping with the BSG like combat effects rebirth had, I am totally fine with that cause they can look amazing given the right circumstances, and I am pretty sure I did share a picture of that years ago in the old thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

And if you want to look into the bigger picture of gamming, there was this broken piece of mess called fallout 76 that came out, no one is going to complain about minor stuff like that in its shadow

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

How important is the CPU needed for this game? I ask cause the min specs say Intel i5-4590 2.7GHz as the min and I have a i3-4150 3.50GHz, which on paper seems better, but also not

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Brought this back when it was on special last week and already hit a nasty bug, got my first M size miner all set up and told it to start minning, it undocked, than locked up with undocking still its most crital order.

Turns out I hit a big bug that was suposed to be solved many patches ago with the only fix being to sell the ship in map mode. What a goos start

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

have you tried exiting the sector and coming back?

Yeah I did that, and also did saving and exiting the game, shooting the ship and it was just stuck on undocking, luckily I got the entire cost back in selling

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Is there something missing from the cadet start? I completed the first mission and told they will be in touch soon, its been an hour and nothing has happened

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Traveling to another sector worked

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Finding that cause terran fighters are the slowest in the game that picking combat thrusters is the way to go if you plan to do alot of fighting for that 10x bigger boost meter

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

3 posted:

Terran engines look like garbage stats-wise but they have near instantaneous acceleration into boost and travel mode that makes them shockingly good for getting around. I'd say it's weird that this isn't ever really documented anywhere but it's an Egosoft game so I expect nothing less.

Yeah I did find that out fast when the starting fighter out paced the free ship you are given from the HQ. Combat thrusters make even more sense since you can get instant speed from a single tap.

It also means you probably don't want mix fleets of terran size S/M ships since the S ships can't keep pace

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

The Terran Intervention fleets just decimate them lol.

Terrans do seem to have been designed to counter xenon both ingame and in lore in X4

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Is there any way to sell ships? I found a M terran merchant ship abandoned and I kinda want to sell it more than micro the not 3 star caption

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Tabletops posted:

whats the coolest/best/most fun small ship to fly? I like the kestrel but it's pretty anemic in a fight

edit: can I get a cube/geometric shape ship?

The two yaki ships are really good for a player to use, you will get the fighter for free follwoing the yaki quest line, but you will have to work hard and save the yaki for their M ship

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

RattiRatto posted:

Thanks, that's what i wanted to hear, I'll definitlòy grab a couple of DLCs.

Should i bother with story/tutorial? I remember not being a grandiose thing
Any must have mods?

If you pick up the Terran DLC, the cadet start is a better tutorial than the base game one.

As for mods, most are still being updated for 6.0, so any big ovehaul mods are out or even VPO, which is the 'basically base game must' mod

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Really getting into the post kingdom end connection start and this one really is just an advanced start with tick lists to make sure you really know what your doing.

Do you know how to build a fighter wing to a certain standard? check
Do you know how to increase your rep from enemy to neutral? check
Do you know how to build a station, pay the land taxes, buy blueprints and fit modules? check
Do you know how to smuggle and not get caught? check

The rewards are nice though especially for the station one

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

Wow the ship they give you at the end of the Boron questline is ridiculous.

I am almost at the end, having to ferry the water by Small vessel as the tide break medium dock glitch and broke, a very painful experience, do not recommend

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Do you mean the boron railguns because they're one of the best weapons in the game, which is very funny that the borons have developed a gun that can delete fighters at eight kilometers away in the blink of an eye.

I guess the split where onto something when they abducted Boso

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So even after the highway construction, Sanctury of darkness still kinda splits the boron in two, instead of small craft it chews through capitals like no ones business as their jump in point is too high up and they take very lethal damage getting down to the other side, its a roll of the dice if one makes it through or not it seems

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The Boron Hydra is amazing and what shocks me is the AI will use the craft correctly if you fit it with railguns, as it really does have the speed and agility to boom and zoom, and the railguns have the range and damage to make it work so well

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

yeah, I figured. We'll see what happens then. I've got Mining Rig #2 Station building in Heretics end (Mining Rig #1 is down in SC-IIFP).

Its kind of crazy just how much money my Ore Mining Rig is pulling in. Its an extremely simple station; 2 3M6S pads, a 3-pier dock, a single L solid storage module, and a few connector bits. Its fed ore by four L Magnetar miners, and then the Ore is shipped out for sale to stations by a squadron of Six "Minecart" Drill Miners (that don't even have mining lasers since they're just transports). Occasionally other ships dock at the Rig to buy ore too. Every few minutes those Minecarts are selling ~50k loads of ore to the neighboring sectors. Which doesn't sound like a lot, but adds up fast. It has easily paid for itself and its support fleet after ~6-8 hours of working.

The L miners were an expensive investment but it worked decently well with my original squadron of "Mattock" Drill miners under I started replacing them with the Magnetars, folding the surviving Mattocks (RIP Mattocks 2, 4, and 5, drat Kha'ak) into Minecart squadron.

It even looks kinda nice.

This is what I was aiming for until the Xenon connected to Hatikvah's choice got super aggressive and have blockade fleets on the super highway all the time, they have even been expending into it with production stations and the other factions can't seem to muster enough to push them back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

In my game its very clear what the bottle neck of resources is

Its this blockade killing most of the large freighters in the commonwealth