Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I know I'm currently sitting down to watch it, but I'm still not convinced Bradley Walsh is in Doctor Who. It's like Noel Fielding on the Bakeoff - it's so clearly a gag from a sketch show, and I'm not falling for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love how little of a poo poo they gave about her being a woman now. "oh yeah...does it suit me?"

Also her coat looks very comfy and I want one now.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'd personally recommend:

Father's Day - Rose's attempts to find closure/acceptance of her father's death.
School Reunion - An old companion being unexpectedly reunited with the Doctor and how they both deal with the gulf of time hanging between them and their last encounter.
The Girl in the Fireplace - The Doctor's impact over the course of a brilliant woman's entire life, and how she in turn impacts him.
Human Nature/Family of Blood - The Doctor finding out what it is like to be human and have to sacrifice everything.
The Fires of Pompeii - Donna coming to terms with the fact that the victims of long-ago disasters she only ever read about in history books were real people who lived real lives, and the pain of not being able to do anything with her future knowledge.
Vincent and the Doctor - One man's agonising journey through life, and the reminder that you can't just "fix" somebody with one (beautiful) gesture.
The Doctor's Wife - The Doctor finally getting to speak with the one true constant in his life.
The Girl Who Waited - What happens when your daughter grows up and no longer sees you as some inspirational, unfaltering paragon?
Last Christmas - Though it loses its impact without the back story of the Doctor and Clara's relationship
Heaven Sent - How one lonely old man deals with grief
The Husbands of River Song - Confronting the knowledge that you love somebody more than they can or will ever love you back.

They're not necessarily the BEST episodes (though some are) but I feel like each has a lot of emotional impact either running through the whole episode or in particular key scenes. The Husbands of River Song in particular I didn't think was all that great but River's giant speech about the Doctor not loving her (followed by "Hello, Sweetie") and their final conversation together really hit hard.

I'd also throw in Empty Child/Doctor Dances, mostly because Ecclestone is amazing, and because it's terrifying and hilarious in a way that I wish every episode was.

Eugh. The show made it look all soft and hoodie-material, not that rubbish raincoat.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 8, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

spog posted:

If you really want to blow your mind, take a look at the career of Noel Clarke, aka Mickey Smith

He's a very different person from Thickey Mickey. Apparently, he'd never watched DW before the job and part of the reason he looked so baffled most of the time was because he was baffled most of the time.

I watched his sci-fi movie The Anomaly last week. The big evil plan is revealed to be a virus that causes people to grow a basal ganglia.

Y'know, that part of the brain everybody already has.

It's impressively dreadful. 0% on RT!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Clara, after leaping into the Doctor's timestream, has the opportunity to save Adric from the Great Intelligence interference that leads him to die from the Cybermen, but just kind of shrugs.

I absolutely loved that as an end for Clara, and kind of wished they'd kept her that way - would have been great to see her keep popping up in various weird places.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favourite line is all of doctor who is still:
"If you're from another planet, how comes you sound like yer from the north?"
"Lots of planets have a north!"

Implying that some of them don't

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Creepy iminous rags sounded awfully like the creepy ominous Scholar of the First Sin from Dark Souls, so I was too distracted to care about their incredibly bland and boring prophecy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I couldn't figure out why this season wasn't clicking with me until someone mentioned that the script is like an audio play. Just constant exposition and talking about everything that is happening in front of them. It slows everything down. The Doctor talks like a Saturday morning special, it's all tell and no show. It's just boring. I really want to like this. But I don't.

So many moments of people describing stuff off-screen!

"Oh his face...its been all melted"
SHOW US THE FACE

"Wow look! Three suns!"
SHOW US THE SUNS

"Ohhhh a nice big door"
SHOW US THE DOOR FFS.

It's literally a gag from Stargate when a tv show doesnt have the cgi budget, and just has characters reacting "Look at that ship...its...indescribable"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Well anyway. I don't get why people didn't think this felt like a Who episode. I was thinking that last week, but this felt almost stereotypically somewhat weakly written Who episode, with all the talk about pacifism and sticking together and guns being bad, and not living up to the concept. It was fine.
I think I welcomed the flying dishrags because it shows that from time to time they're still going to do whimsical fantasy stuff, even if they're pretty stupid for being an ultimate killing machine.
And I'm welcoming the little bits of continuity. They're not overwhelming the episode and it's far more interesting to slowly learn about a through line than to just repeat a catch phrase harder and harder or to cut away to a garden or something.

I kind of like the idea that the Doctor is philosophically opposed to guns specifically, not just any weapon. Yeah, there's not much difference between shooting robots and cobbling together an EMP, but guns are only really useful for shooting stuff. And if you can shoot killer robots you can shoot killer aliens, and if you can shoot killer aliens you can shoot a monster that might not be a monster after all and then that starts you down a very dark road that the Doctor doesn't want to go down. We kind of saw that with Eccleston in Dalek. When all you have is a gun, everything starts to look like a nail.

Of course, I'd prefer if they actually discussed this into the show, instead of "guns bad, cos I said so"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

None of those are guns. I see a tricorder, an ikea lamp, a vibrator, and two serving dishes/antenna.

Edit: And a nutribullet

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Plavski posted:

I just rewatched series 10 and drat it's still exemplary. Even the poor Extremis bits can be saved by Mackie, Capaldi and Lucas. Fantastic Who.

Even Bradley Walsh can't beat Matt Lucas in terms of "holy crap he's actually good at this!??"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

There were so many bits of that that made me happy, although I think "...and for my next trick!" was pretty great. I do wish Eccleston had done at least a cameo.

I really wish they hadn't revealed the next doctor before that scene. Imagine if you didn't know who he was gonna be and them BAM Malcolm tucker's flying a TARDIS. I'd have lost my poo poo completely

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Best part of the episode was the Doctors angry kid face when she soniced the gun.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Eccleston did an amazing job, in that his doctor was a totally new interpretation of the character while remaining instantly recognisable, which I don't think the other nuwho docs have managed. Tennant was definitely his own panto thing, but he never felt very Doctor-y to me, and while I absolutely love Matt Smith's performance, it's very very Troughton inflected. Ditto Capaldi with pretty much every classic doctor.

Too early to tell with Whittaker, although as I've said before, she's a little too Ten so far.

I really like the description from someone earlier that said she was like a children's book character come to life. She's definitely got that chirpiness of Ten.

I also never bought any of that "timelord triumphant" stuff with Ten. 9 and 12 did a great job with the darker, angry side of the Doctor (even 11 had his awesome Colonel Runaway speech) but Ten always felt sulky and petulant, never intimidating. Be interesting to see if she can pull it off.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bradley Walsh continues to be surprisingly fantastic, Doctor's attitude to gun's continues to be even more arbitrary.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Not...really? She's been fairly consistent this regeneration.

A bullet in the brain is infinitely more humane than being left to suffocate and/or starve to death.

There are perfectly good reasons not to run around shooting giant spiders (namely, that you'd be running round shooting giant spiders) but all their stuff about dignity and humane deaths was a load of tosh, especially as these things had, unprovoked, attacked and eaten people.

Also rescuing survivors who have been cocooned ready to be eaten is such a common trope that it kinda felt weird when they didn't do it. That threw me for a bit too.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

docbeard posted:

I'm completely happy with the "they found a humane way to euthanize the trapped spiders offscreen" explanation given that they were literally talking about finding a humane way to euthanize the trapped spiders when they were gathering them in the first place.

And the entire point of why just shooting the suffering giant spider wasn't okay was because it wasn't a monster, it wasn't an evil supervillain spider boss, it wasn't an object to be hated and dreaded and feared (even if you hate and dread and fear spiders) it was a suffering animal and the Doctor didn't even have a chance to find a way to give it a dignified and painless death (which she and the spider researcher had explicitly talked about being a priority for them before) before Bigly decided to shoot it in the face.

Also, as cathartic as ruining the Trump-analogue's presidential chances with a few choice observations about how tired he is to the press would have been, it feels more honest in some ways for him to do unpleasant Bad Man stuff and walk off into the sunset, whether he's going to be back or not.

It was pretty clever that they chose a monstrous looking animal for the doctor to care about. Made her respect and dignity speech a bit more powerful than if it had been about a cuddly puffin or a majestic lion.

On the other hand, gently caress spiders gently caress spiders gently caress spiders burn them all poison the bastards stomp them out

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yes! Drown them! Blow them up!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

Honestly, I've half expected them doing something with the now filled-in "hole in the road" in sheffield. I'm old enough to remember this being under a major roundabout in the city, and Chibnall is missing a trick if it isn't the secret entrance to UNIT HQ or Torchwood: Sheffield or something.

god i hate that roundabout. Two lecture theatres about 100 yards apart as the crow flies, but it takes like 10 minutes to get from one to the other cos you need to keep zig-zagging around all the stupid crossings.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Its not just me right? That tree definitely has cocks growing out of it?

You should probably see a doctor if you're growing cock(s) in unwanted places.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

None of those are unwanted :pervert:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's going to be a long time before anything tops,"LOCATION EARTH! LIFEFORMS DETECTED! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwN6vNBttws

Mickey's "That's not Cybermen....." line gets to me everytime.

I kinda feel they immediately topped it with the opening of the Genesis Ark.

"time lord science....it's bigger on the inside" *woosh as Daleks start flying out*

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the Daleks and the Cybermen being catty at each other:

"You would declare war on the Cybermen?"
"THIS IS NOT WAR! THIS IS PEST CONTROL!"

and

"YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT!"
"What is that?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING!"

Daleks acting and talking in non-Dalek ways is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. The occasional lapse into humour is great and terrifying (WOULD you CARE FOR some TEA!) but too many jokes makes them feel really silly and unthreatening.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 4, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rather than dissecting the frog, I'm just gonna admit that I didn't find those two jokes funny, but the "with only one Dalek" line had me in stitches.

Also Davos' bit about the only other chair on Skaro. That was wonderful.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The plot was nonsense, but I'm an absolute sucker for aliens being weirded out by human biology.

And the completely unhelpful space encyclopedia was a great bit of comedy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

HardKase posted:

I like that this series is exploring more uncomfortable or lesser known historical periods.

I felt like the aliens worked really well as a moral kick up the backside in that regard. Prem died unwitnessed not just because he was shot in a field all alone, but because we in England have completely washed our hands of any responsibility and barely acknowledge our role in what happened.

I felt a great sense of shame at this episode. Shame at what the Empire did to India, and shame at how little I know about it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm impressed that the tonal swing from sinister disappearances to "killer bubble wrap lol" is somehow the least confused part of the episode.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Punjabi was a cool setting but like nothing happened - neither doctor and crew or the aliens even needed to be there at all. Though worst episode has to be the 2nd (monument) - I actually forgot that one was a thing until looking over the episode list now.

Highlight for me was def Rosa.

A woman got widowed on her wedding day = nothing happened

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

There was tons I disliked about both RTD and Moffat's eras, but what I do miss in this one is the slightly melancholy existentialism that was often apparent in their writing. I get that 13 is generally about unabashed optimism and positivity, though, and I suppose it was time for a change.

11s rant about how he's not running from things, he's running to things, because everything is ephemeral, was one of my favourite moments in his run.

Also Colonel Runaway. That's the kind of viciousness I like, not immortal scarecrows in a black hole.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^^ Power of Three, the weird alien cube one. Lots of cool ideas in that episode - Amy's addiction to traveling, the self destructive nature of companions, a weird lowkey invasion - it just didn't quite pull them off. Also the ending was balls.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's kind of amusing that the most vicious one was the freshest faced, then Capaldi was curmudgeonly but never quite as vengeful despite appearances.

I liked the take of 11 as "an old man in a young man's body" and 12 as "a young man in an old man's body /an old man trying to reclaim his youth" Summed up a lot of their character.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"sentient universe desperate for a friend" is a great episode.

"blind norweigian girl scared of fake monsters" is a great episode

I have no idea why they need to be the same episode.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"The planet's attacking us psychically, by 'eck I have a headache"

I was all gearing up for some frog-verse level crazyness, instead I got a mild hangover. Completely wasted opportunity for some good old sci-fi trippiness.

Graham's understated seriousness about his plan to kill Tim Shaw was pretty great though. I'm still not yet at the point where I'm not surprised by Bradley Walsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would have been funny if that company had been called "Van Statten UK" or something. But it was a bit strange how the one archaeologist guy knows that this company is dealing in black market extra-terrestrial tech like it's no big thing. You know, like that's just a thing people know exists. I know he's meant to be a guy who's a bit too invested in esoteric conspiracy theories but nonetheless, it seems like a wee bit of a jump to go from, "Believes in this obscure text that relates to his field of work," to, "By the way, the rumour is that this company hoards alien weaponry." :v:

That could have just had it be in a museum nearby, or back in their head office.

Doctor: "didja find anything else in this dig site?"
Archaeology Dude : "just this freaky looking whisk, much too modern, dunno what it's doing down there"
Dramatic close up on photo, dramatic musical sting, smash cut to dalek cutting a man's hand off