Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

I... I'm at a loss. Can someone fill me in on this paragraph bit: "his defence of the blood libeller Raed Salah and the conspiracist Rev Stephen Sizer, who blamed Israel for 9/11;" who are these people and why should I care?

I do sometimes wonder though if my eye-rolling cynicism towards claims of labour antisemitism is maybe due to me living way up here and not necessarily being exposed to either a large labour contingent or a large antisemitic one, and whether being a jewish leftist down south would make you a bit more sensitive. I think the one time I've been anywhere near leftist antisemitism was the guy who eyed me up a bit squarely when I introduced myself as a jew to a palestinian solidarity group.
There's the odd outright "Jews control the world except for Labour" wingnut, but honestly I've met far more Thatcher-hating Yorkshire/Midlands pro-Corbyn pro-Labour hard hat trade unionists with terrible opinions about Muslims or Chinese people or many other groups than I ever have about Jews, and nobody calls Labour the systemically Islamophobic party.

OwlFancier posted:

Who is toby fox and what is it?
Better than most other people I associate with either name.

e: 256 is 28 or 44

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Selene_Nelson/status/1056996936908193792
https://twitter.com/Selene_Nelson/status/1057355538898608133

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH if you replaced vegans with the bourgeoisie that would be my response too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

TBH if you replaced vegans with the bourgeoisie that would be my response too.

Is it even possible to replace one thing with the exact same thing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The (Marxist and anarchist) Vegan argument is that humans act towards most other animals the same ways that the bourgeoisie act towards the workers, so you can't just switch one for the other.

Though if anyone wrote into a current cooking show requesting more booj recipes that would be worthy of laughter. And recipes to eat booj.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Guavanaut posted:

The (Marxist and anarchist) Vegan argument is that humans act towards most other animals the same ways that the bourgeoisie act towards the workers, so you can't just switch one for the other.

I promise not to eat any animal capable of organising a union

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

lol at "I pitched an article to buzzfeed, and instead they basically just posted it and didn't pay me anything"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm glad that guy got sacked. Good for her.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

Is it even possible to replace one thing with the exact same thing?

While I would suggest you need to be at least well off to be vegan, not all booj are vegan.

For example the editor of the waitrose magazine is very clearly not.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd posit that you can't be booj and Vegan because doing as little exploitation of all other animals as possible is the key part.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I'd posit that you can't be booj and Vegan because doing as little exploitation of all other animals as possible is the key part.

Depends on how far you stretch the concept of consent I guess.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Good News:

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1057742005076320256?s=19

Bad News:

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1057740118503579648?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Robert peston has some very distressing hair, he looks like he stole it off someone much younger.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm long term veggie, currently vegan, but the community is overshadowed by the morons who legitimately think eating meat is comparable to the Holocaust (there are dozens of high selling books on this very topic)

OwlFancier posted:

While I would suggest you need to be at least well off to be vegan, not all booj are vegan.

I am proof this is not true

Just make your own meals and don't buy expensive faus-meat poo poo and it's a cheap as any other diet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Before he went a bit vegetarian, Hitler did a Holocaust" - Ken Veganstone

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm long term veggie, currently vegan, but the community is overshadowed by the morons who legitimately think eating meat is comparable to the Holocaust (there are dozens of high selling books on this very topic)

I get the sense it's more overshadowed by all the Extremely Mad About Vegans people who act like you're all like that

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Just make your own meals and don't buy expensive faus-meat poo poo and it's a cheap as any other diet.

In terms of financial cost.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1057752665302749186

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I sympathise with vegetarians but vegans are just pricks who want to take my cheese as far as I can see.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Gort posted:

Said I'd post my Granddad's last flight log earlier, so here it is. He was a navigator in a Fairey Barracuda torpedo bomber flying from carriers. Stuff in italics I added.

Air craft arranged on deck & crew took stations for catapulting. Take off delayed due to passing squall. Whilst standing by TAG V (Tailored Air Group?), Smyth reported that a bullet had been fired from his gun and had entered fuselage. Aircraft struck down and another ranged. Just time to align D.R. (Direct Reading) compass & tune beacon before takeoff.

TAG stands for Telegraphist Air Gunner - Fleet Air Arm speak for the radioman and gunner on two/three seat aircraft like the Barracuda. Do you know which carrier your granddad flew from?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1054471560986267648

He's getting (respectfully) bodied in the replies, which is a pleasant surprise.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
All this talk of war stories, I remember my granddad going on about his granddad in I think the first world war? He was Italian and was captured by the Japanese? Or Something? But he had POW diaries and my great aunt got them when he died, I might have to see if I can get my hands on them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Countdown to "How DARE people politicise Remembrance Sunday by suggesting that war is bad!?!"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Randomcheese3 posted:

TAG stands for Telegraphist Air Gunner - Fleet Air Arm speak for the radioman and gunner on two/three seat aircraft like the Barracuda. Do you know which carrier your granddad flew from?

I believe it was HMS Furious, since he was involved in Operation Tungsten.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

quote:

I said that if Tory politicians had done half the things to any other ethnic group that Corbyn has done to the Jews, leftists would be baying for blood.

:thunk:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

The BBC, so committed to impartiality that they just called our involvement in Yemen "Politically uncomfortable"

How hosed does your moral compass have to be to not be able to call a war crime wrong?

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 1, 2018

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I've just come back from a gig where the bar was selling 'XL pints' that were just 2 pints in a huge glass. This is a brilliant idea and I want to know why pubs across the country aren't doing it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

I've just come back from a gig where the bar was selling 'XL pints' that were just 2 pints in a huge glass. This is a brilliant idea and I want to know why pubs across the country aren't doing it.

I'd say the last quarter of that glass just tasted like warm saliva and piss though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pound_Coin posted:

The BBC, so committed to impartiality that they just called our involvement in Yemen "Politically uncomfortable"

How hosed in the head do you have to be to not be able to call a war crime wrong?

Well you see the people doing the war crimes say they aren't war crimes and coincidentally, they also pay us.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Veganism is pretty good imo but it's alright if other people don't fancy it, whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

I've just come back from a gig where the bar was selling 'XL pints' that were just 2 pints in a huge glass. This is a quart.
I'm about to go gammon about people not knowing the correct multiple of pints.

After brexit I expect to buy things in the correct units, gill, half pint, pint, quart, half gallon, gallon.

Everything. Beer, milk, petrol, my own blood after I'm stabbed for petrol, butter, marmalade with racism, Fanta.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd say the last quarter of that glass just tasted like warm saliva and piss though

Tasted the same all the way to the bottom of the glass, huh?

And we all know that Tories haven't done one half the things to ethnic minorities as Corbyn has to the Jews. They've done at least 20 times the things, and probably much more.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

quote:

So when he’d asked earlier in the evening if we should meet next Saturday and I said no, that I had a dinner date with a cousin who was over from Israel, and Sean replied, laughing, “Ooh, do you think she’ll be scared to set foot on our Jewish unfriendly soil?”, I asked him calmly what he meant.

Boy, that sure sounds like a real conversation that definitely happened.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
People who mock vegans for being evangelical have never met a committed carnivore. Yes, it is possible to have a proper meal that doesn't contain meat, in fact entire cultures have based their cuisine on vegetables and grains because that's what was in abundance.

In war chat: contact the Imperial War Museum about any war diaries, letters or objects, and if they don't want them they will certainly be able to recommend other places.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

“insert”?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/EssexBuccaneer/status/1054510459494301696

Unconnected:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only because I needed a piss and didn't want to put my XL pint down to go to the toilets.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lady Demelza posted:

People who mock vegans for being evangelical have never met a committed carnivore. Yes, it is possible to have a proper meal that doesn't contain meat, in fact entire cultures have based their cuisine on vegetables and grains because that's what was in abundance.

And yes loving hell these people are tiresome. "What do you have for Christmas dinner then? Oooh I couldn't live without a Turkey dinner at Christmas. I've gotta have my roast dinner. Bacon is AMAZING you don't know what you're missing. How can you have a proper meal without [dead thing]? We're meant to eat animals though innit?".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

And yes loving hell these people are tiresome. "What do you have for Christmas dinner then? Oooh I couldn't live without a Turkey dinner at Christmas. I've gotta have my roast dinner. Bacon is AMAZING you don't know what you're missing. How can you have a proper meal without [dead thing]? We're meant to eat animals though innit?".

Especially when the preparation and eating of meat is tied to toxic masulinity bullshit. No woman has ever cooked or eaten a steak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Lady Demelza posted:

People who mock vegans for being evangelical have never met a committed carnivore.
https://twitter.com/BDSixsmith/status/1045611673049067520

• Locked thread