Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you find hard about Zelda 2? I've never had an issue with it.

I love Zelda 2 and it might be my favourite NES game, but I think the 'it's too hard' complaint comes from it not telling you specifically where to go next, so a lot of people go the wrong way, thus making the game super hard.

I agree though that, aside from the fokkhas in the Great Palace (and the size of the palace to begin with), the game is pretty much fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How big is the Starlink universe? How many planets, etc?

Also, holy poo poo, why would anyone buy this on a non-Switch system? I'm not a huge Starfox fan, but like... why choose anyone other than Fox? :psyduck:

This is like Soul Caliber 2 all over again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kill the black knight hope he drops the sword.

Or chip damage the dragon.

I love the fact that you can eventually get all of the black knight's armour, weapon, and shield, and just kind of roleplay as one, yourself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

When you write your letter, mention re4 for the switch please.

Oh my god, yes please.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People posting their first playthroughs is always a joy. Please keep talking about Dark Souls. I just got to the bottom of blightown after dying at least 10 times. gently caress toxic.

I was immediately drawn into the game, the atmosphere, the gameplay. I loved it. Every encounter was an experience. It felt like eternity until I got to the Undead Parish, when in actuality, it had been maybe a week, perhaps 2, but I had the game on the brain every moment from the beginning. I lived and loved Dark Souls. When I had first made it to Firelink Shrine, and spoke to the sad warrior, it really struck a chord with me; everything around me seemed depressing, and he was clearly depressed. He knew what this whole thing was about before I did. But I pressed on. Made it through the Burg, was chased (and killed, obviously) by the Black Knight, found and killed the Taurus demon eventually. I met Solare, and it's as if he was looking at different surroundings than I was; like no matter how much this world tried to get me down, he was impervious to it.

As mentioned, I finally made it to the Parish, into the church, unlocked the shortcut, and repeatedly tried (and usually failed) to cleanse the holy place of everything that inhabited it.

Days and days and days of this passed, and FINALLY (with the help of Solare), I took care of those gargoyles on the roof. I climbed up, was actually kind of disturbed (maybe that's too strong of a word, maybe not) by Oswald. Like, just his stance. It was weird. He was there, just.... waiting for someone, and standing like that. Stuff like that always kind of weirded me out, but at the same time, I appreciated that weirdness, those totally unnecessary but unforgettable details.

And I climbed up, up, up... and rang the bell. Holy poo poo, that was only HALF of the FIRST PART of the game?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My wife never paid much attention to Dark Souls when I'd play it (and she enjoys videogame), but she always hated that the cancel (or maybe it was confirm?) sound sounded like a distant, ethereal, metallic burp.

"Baby... baby, Dark Souls is about more than robot indigestion, please try to understand..."

Ninja edit: I meant 'video games', but I don't want to change it because rereading it made me laugh. :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beastie posted:

Playing Dark Souls on a train, listening to Primus.

Brown Album or bust.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

This week's drop (all releases Oct 25, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EDT/9am PDT for NA, 15.00 CEST/14.00 BST for Europe.

Paw Patrol: On a Roll! - $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99 (Oct 23 NA / Sep 26 EU)
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
PAW Patrol is on a roll! No job is too big, no pup is too small! The PAW Patrol is ready to save the day in Adventure Bay on 16 exciting rescue missions, but they can only do it with your help! Help each pup use their unique abilities to rescue friends and keep their community safe. Jump into eight awesome Adventure Bay locations, including Farmer Yumi’s Farm, Jake’s Mountain, a desert canyon, under the waves, and more! Get ready for fun puzzle-platforming action!

If any of you parents get this, mind posting here letting us/me know how it is? My son is nuts for Paw Patrol, and while I'm sure he'd love it regardless, it might be utter garbage.

EDIT: Oh... wow, nevermind!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/24/paw-patrol-on-a-roll-review/

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 26, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Best news ever.

Game better have gyro control options! :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Please be the wii version of re4 so I can finally put away my copy.

Pointer controls aside, the recent version of the game (on Steam) has made the Wii version no longer the definitive one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Good news: it will have gyro controls

Bad news: its tank gyro

This is fine. There's a control scheme for the Steam controller that plays this game like a dream, even though it has tank controls.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Andrast posted:

The pointer controls are why it's so good though

With a mouse (or gyro controls), the PC version beats the Wii version, in that it's HD and is just better all-around. Has all the content, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

uncompressed music/audio, probably.

Not saying you're wrong, but why would it be uncompressed?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Toebone posted:

If you're having trouble with the gargoyles, if you're in human form you can summon an NPC to help out. His summon sign is in one of the rooms leading up to the church roof.

Yeah, those gargoyles easily succumb to some jolly cooperation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dracula's Curse is my favourite, but I don't know if it would be if I hadn't played it when it was new.

Maybe I would have.

Christ, that was a long time ago :corsair:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, with Diablo 3 being on the Switch, I really kind of wish that Borderlands 2 and TPS (well, at least 2) were on there, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN SD CARD INTO THE SLOT OF MY NINTENDO SWITCH. ITS BROFORCE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE VARIOUS BROS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN ESPLOSION SOUNDS WHEN I SHOOT THE MEGACOCKTER OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY SAVED AMERICA FROM SATAN. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SPECIAL MOVES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY HIGH-FIVING TO SLOW DOWN TIME. 2 HOURS (NON-HIGH-FIVE TIME) INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

Very nice :golfclap:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If Caves of Qud ever comes to Switch, you'd never need another turn-based roguelike ever :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Wait a minute. That game was made in Unity. Unity exports to Switch...

Who's the goon that made Qud again? I need to wave my dollars at him.

Goons Hand of Luke and unormal. I'm looking forward to whatever's going on with the mobile version, and holy poo poo, a Switch version would be wonderful. :allears:

Thread is here for anyone who wants to experience the following:

AngryDiplomat's Immortal Review that mostly still applies posted:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

Since that was written, the game has been updated so many times, you could likely write 2 more, equally long paragraphs, filled with more poo poo you could do.

You can spray a substance on a wall to make it sentient, and then you can talk to the wall.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 7, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Switch has me completely readdicted to Diablo 3. Any time I’m at home watching TV or chilling I’m also grinding rifts now. Im finding it even more addicting than PC Diablo 3 was because I don’t have to make time to play it at my computer. It’s always there and ready for me to get more loot and I don’t have to go to another room or turn off my movie to do it, it’s actually really dangerous for my free time :ohdear:

This would be me and Skyrim, really.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

I want so so so badly to love this game because it's entirely my poo poo, but I can never get past the very first side quest at Red Rock.

I need to try again

Try it again, I believe you can change your starting area and all that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying to think of a worse Black Box NES game, and I can't. I really can't. You could make the argument for Soccer or Baseball, but I really feel that there's more going on there than with Urban Champion.

I hate that game so much, and like most kids who had an NES growing up, I played a poo poo-ton of it, because I was dumb and easily amused :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

This isn't some lovely black box NES game.

This is a lovely ARCADE game. Totally different.

Fair enough, but my point still stands with regards to Urban Champion for the NES.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What game is your avatar from?

My guess would be a Phantasy Star

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Y'all are nasty little goons

Do you just marinade in the smell of poo poo and let the poop streaks slowly harden over your stringy rear end in a top hat hairs while you dig around for a korok seed or two, or what exactly happens here

Edited for improved Visceral Attack

Not going to lie, I thought the korok seed mention was a reference to wiping.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Wow, I hadn't heard that excuse before. That's silly, I'm totally powerful enough to do it :colbert:

I just want you to know that I appreciated this :golfclap:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MZ posted:

I really really don't understand people who game while watching stuff on the TV in the background, my brain just can't multitask like that.

Real talk: multitasking, even if one of the activities doesn't get the normally-required level of attention, can actually be MORE comfortable for people, such as myself, diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. Sometimes, having to switch focus quickly and frequently is what we want to have to do. After years of fighting it, I now accept that I'd rather being doing two things at once than one.

Not more than two, though; that's nuts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yeah I get it if you can post things from the switch to YouTube, that would be cool.

Is that functionality perhaps coming? Maybe the app is like a bridge towards that, eventually?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Why you gotta be that way? :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

What, don't you guys have Switches?

I think I'm the only goon who's reading this thread, generally keeping up with it, who doesn't have one yet. I plan on getting one when I can (one income right now, so it's definitely not in the budget until that situation changes), but until then, Nintendo-related news is really the only videogame news I give a poo poo about.

I liked Nintendo just fine before, but with two kids, you learn to appreciate the hell out of them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never played a Monster Hunter game, and still, I can and can't believe that THIS is the direction they're going in.

Wow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, hold up, this is Glass Bottom Games? Like.... fellow goon and (former?) Mod Shalinor's Glass Bottom Games?

gently caress yeah! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The lava section seems like it could be a lot cooler.

:smug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It'd be cool if, on Dec 25th, Nintendo dropped a bunch more NES games to their service. Stuff like the SMB 2 and 3, Zelda 2, the Lolo trilogy, and whatever 3rd party games they could manage.

I suppose the chances are super slim to see any of the classic Mega Man games on there, given that they're available elsewhere on the same platform, right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

don't tell anyone I said this but I enjoyed the nintendo video game

Same, but Skyrim, and it's going to be a must buy whenever I get a Switch. :colbert:

Ninja edit: :ssh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Nope, I see Axely and UN Squadron for SNES on my end. Two shmups, come on Nintendo, how about some variety here!

Are you talking about Switch Online? Am I just missing :thejoke: ?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's funny, but whenever I finally end up getting a Switch, I'm primarily going to be playing Minecraft and Skyrim on it :shobon: Maybe DOOM. I'll still get Mario Odyssey, BOTW, and MK8 Deluxe, but I just really want to play those first two on-the-go.

Does the Pro Controller do gyro?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sweet sassy molassy, that's great!

I'm hoping RE4 has gyro aiming. I play it on Steam with the Steam controller and gyro aiming works so incredibly well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Andrast posted:

I can't wait to buy RE4 yet again

Same here, it'll be my 5th time if I'm counting correctly. Maybe it'll FINALLY be the version that I 100%. I've never unlocked the hand cannon, but I've come close many times. Every platform other than Steam I'm unable or unwilling to return to.

Another question: Whenever I do get a Switch, is there a way for me to set up a profile for my son so that he can play his games, with his saves, and not only not screw my saves up, but also not even see games like Doom, Skyrim, and RE4? Can my wife and I lock our accounts so he can't access them? Can all 3 (eventually 4) of us have our own stuff on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

These are amateur RE4 numbers. That’s not even half of the consoles RE4 is available for!

There are no other games in my playing history that I have paid to own more times than RE4. Even Super Mario Bros 3, I've only bought once (first time was the original, as a Christmas present). Never had a Sony console, so none of those versions were ever bought. If I had, then yeah, I definitely would have bought the game on them, too.

I mean, how can you not?