Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Probably gets asked a bit, but what's the better Disgaea game to get as a first one, 5, or 1 Complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

Every Disgaea is just a straight up improvement mechanically

lol this kind of thing actually makes me want to start with the early games in case I want to replay them and not get kicked by lack of QOL, which is how I attempted to play Persona 1 at some point

but thanks!

e) apparently 1 is on the Playstation store except it's one of those dumb games that doesn't actually show up on the Vita if you search for it, and it's $10 instead of $60(!) so I'll just get it on that, and 5 on the Switch.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 7, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is Golf Story any good? Does it use motion controls? Is there a better golf game?

Yes, no, Neo Turf Masters is "better" at being a golf game but it's an SNK/NeoGeo arcade game meant for short sessions.

Note that both games are really simple compared to something like even Everybody's Golf but they're both really fun.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

content posted:

Love Neo Turf Masters and my boy Tom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The smart move would be to re-release N64 games instead because they sucked rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The SNES was very well known for having very bad games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
3D World was a much better execution of the "mixing 3d and 2d mario" than the NSMB games imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Turbografx was better than the Genesis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the one thing the Genesis did have was the best version of NHL '94 which to be fair is one of the best games of all time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
AC3 is dogshit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
AC3 is the worst big-budget game I've ever played and I'm not even trying to be hyperbolic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxyclean posted:

The mobile game (Pocket Camp) might be, but I don't see how a several year old 3DS entry with no extra moneitizaiton is making Nintendo tons of money.

Tons of people have switches and are hungry for a new AC game. It's a total no brainier.

all of it is from that 80 year old lady who has 1500 hours in New Leaf.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

a7m2 posted:

Despite having it on Steam, I never played Undertale because the internet was so insufferable about it. Is it better on Switch (like is it a comfy game to play in bed/in the bathroom/in the bus?) or should I just play it on PC?

It is a very good portable game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really stan for undertale like the teens did but if you think Spec Ops was a better game you have some kind of brain worms.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dishonored is actively more enjoyable when you brutally murder people.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst thing that ever happened to "immersive sims" was pacifist runs. It was almost a gimmick run in Deus Ex, but was a really popular playstyle, and as a result all the modern ones borderline yell at you for having the temerity to actually use all the guns and swords the game gives you (Dishonored wasn't even the worst offender here)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Giving you options is good, giving you options and almost explicitly saying one of them is the correct one is the problem! (Deus Ex 3 was the worst at this)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

and even then the "judgement" isn't towards violent tendencies so much as completionist ones

why you're doing it, what you expect to gain out of it, and how you'll react when what you get isn't possibly what you expected

and i mean the "punishment" you get is the best boss fight in the game and a ton of context to the story that's borderline necessary to fully understand the other runs, so even the whole judgmental thing is debatable, though you could potentially consider this a problem if you wanted

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

It doesn't help that 90% tools/spells you get are things that make you kill better and in cool ways. The game directly encourages you to not use them.

The second game is a lot about this though by giving you lots of new non-lethal options.

DX:MD was also significantly better than DX:HR at "please don't use the guns and lethal tools we give you", to be fair.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

The temptation to have more fun in a video game

The Dishonored thread literally had to tell people "stop quicksaving and loading every time you get spotted" because people were more or less ruining the game for themselves by quickloading every time they couldn't finish a level ghost/pacifist which believe it or not, is not a very enjoyable way to play video games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

asecondduck posted:

Is the MGS series actually easier/more fun if you don't use tranq guns/CQC? I honestly have never tried.

Rambo is extremely enjoyable in MGS5 but not so much the other ones.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's tricky because non-lethal arguably should be harder than lethal for the whole morality concept to actually work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the way I always play Dishonored is to ghost but whip out the sword if I screw up and get spotted, though pulling the sword out and running all over the place as a rapid murder phantom is also extremely fun.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

asecondduck posted:

Dishonored is Bethesda, right? How long until it gets a Switch port?

Arkane, published by Bethesda.

PREY is the best Arkane game imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst part of the no mercy run in Undertale is grinding in Hotland. The game really, really doesn't let you do that run unless you deliberately go for it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Prey and Dishonored 2 run on some weird souped up idtech thing that didn't even run that well on PCs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Unfortunately d-pads from all three console manufacturers have taken a page from the “hot garbage” hand book when it comes to making one this generation. The joycon needs to be able to be used as a stand alone controller so the button d-pad makes sense there but the pro controller d-pad really dropped the ball and there isn’t an excuse there

hosed up that the only good d-pad this generation was the PS Vita

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ciaphas posted:

I'd agree that finishing Snowdin (there's a boss so it's obvious) is a good final "do I care for this game or not" marker. It gets harder and the story and characters are introduced/develop more, but if you don't care up to then you won't care either

"You're blue now" was like precisely the moment when I went from thinking it was charming but just alright to actually really liking it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

whaley posted:

Resident Evil 6 was best horrible game I ever played. It was so hosed up and dumb. Also it was like 500 hours long

RE6 is my favorite awful game of all time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I use P-A to get Japanese eshop points, can you do that easily on Amazon JP?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lol @ getting tax refund money this year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imo the big thing i'd like to see from a new "main" switch unit is a smaller/zero bezel screen.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FFVIII is the most amazing looking PS1 game imo. I still can't believe how hard they pushed the PS1 hardware on that one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pixaal posted:

This is exactly what I thought they'd do, I now expect them to hurriedly release a fix that is super lazy. I half expect them to just rename the game title to Star Tropics - Code is 747

They'll put out a "special" release which is just a save state with the code already input.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Splatoon was OK but the best use of gyro controls by far was when Phoenix Wright for the wii let you object by doing the finger point irl

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think people are confusing "games should have color blind mode" accessibility with "games should be beatable by everyone regardless of how much work they want to put in or how good they are" "accessibility" which is dumb

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is more like the accessibility where someone would call a film with no traditional narrative "non-accessible"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Imagined posted:

I don't necessarily believe that all games should have an easy mode as an accessibility issue. I just took exception to the "arguing that the developer should do anything they don't want to do is insanity" argument.

I also suspect that almost everyone with the "some games are just hard, deal with it :smugbert:" attitude just happens to be an able-bodied, neurotypical person who doesn't have any kids and has never even considered the perspective of anyone who isn't like themselves.

not everything is for everyone

I don't know what it is about games, like, if I listen to an album that's in a style I hate or don't understand I don't complain why they didn't make it more like the music I listen to, but the moment you make a game for a niche audience, instead of going "Well I guess that's not for me" it's all stuff like this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like that we are in the git good phase

we aren't even that, there's like hardly been a better time to be into video games if you don't like difficult poo poo. past the AAA scene which is by nature marketed toward a big tent anyway, there are like options for just about every audience in the indie market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

asecondduck posted:

For what it's worth, I'm playing through Rayman Legends again and I love love love how forgiving the game is, with the flutter often able to save you if you gently caress up a jump, and the very generous checkpoints, especially during boss fights.

If you're a platforming god, you'll never see or use those additions. Heck, getting an extra heart on the load screen is completely optional. But they're there if you need or want them. It's also never reliant on checkpoints--you have the skills, you can beat an entire level the first time through.

At the same time, unlocking levels requires you to put in at least a small amount of effort collecting Teensies, so you're incentivized to go beyond just beating a level.

part of the entire appeal of hard games is the pressure of failure