Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I just ordered a Nintendo refurbed Switch after years of playing PC games exclusively. What are the essential first party or Switch exclusives I might've missed? I've already ordered Animal Crossing, Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8. I'm not really into JRPGs or platformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Monkey Fracas posted:

Did you have a Wii U? There'll be even more stuff to play on the chance you never had one since they ported like every first/second party Wii U game worth having to the Switch

Pikmin 3 is great

I did not, any highlights?

BotW is on my shortlist, along with Mario Tennis.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I think at this point leaked nudes are more likely improve your reputation

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Wrestling Empire is so loving fun, and not just the jank. The gameplay is legit good.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
the SN30 pro is a drat nice controller. i appreciate that it feels like it was built with an adult's hands in mind.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Necrodancer is $4 in the online shop right now. Never clicked for me on PC but I'm having on a blast on Switch

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm going to Nth the 8BitDo SN30+ recommendation as a fantastic "P2" controller with the only issue being that the stick placement might be a bit too far "in" for smaller hands.

Seconding the Sn30 Pro, it's my main controller and I loving love it. And it takes AAs in addition to the stock rechargeable, so it'll still be useful after the battery shits the bed.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I never finished Divinity 2. The combat is clearly awesome, but I didn't care for the story and there was too much backtracking and old school guesswork involved in the quests. Just don't have the stomach for that anymore. Too bad, because the battle system is so drat good.

The co-op works very well too, at least on PC, but it slows the pacing down a bit.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just having a release like this for Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma is my dream. I’ve been thinking about it since the Mana collection came.

Act 3, twice due to a restart to run coop

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Turok was fun. I remember the first few level layouts to this day. Very atmospheric and scary, in its way.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

ilmucche posted:

Every time I see persona strikers mentioned I think it's a soccer game.

Is there a better way to get out of submissions in wrestling empire? My dude gets put in one and it's like 30 seconds of sitting there hoping he doesn't tap out waiting for the opponent to let go.

I can't tell what the gently caress controls those, but your wrestler's Skill stat seems to be the biggest factor, then your Stamina level. I try to get a lot of strikes in before going to the ground, and make sure they have maybe half as much stamina before trying to submit them. There also seems to be some influence granted by pressing the left stick in different directions, like you have to find a sweet spot to oppose their hold.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Asnorban posted:

I got an SN30 pro+ and have been having a hell of a time getting it to work with my Switch. It was fine the first time I used it, but since then almost nothing I do can get it to sync with the system. Is there some trick I’m missing out on? Tell me like I’m a child.

Edit: to get it paired I have to go to the controller menu every time. That can’t be right, right?

Mine's a little bit temperamental, but this works:

1) Turn on switch
2) press start on the controller

Just always make sure the Switch is on first.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Played a couple of rounds of Apex Legends. It runs fine docked, looks a bit crud compared to PC but it works. I don't love controller aiming, but there is some slight auto aim, and it playing on my couch beats sitting at a computer desk.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
MHR is a loving great game, but know that the first 20-30 hours are the tutorial. It's a drat fun time, don't sweat it and don't worry about optimizing things, just smash poo poo and have fun.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Halo has very convincing AI as well, so the same fights play out differently every time.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Morter posted:

Help, I keep wanting to try Shiren even though I know I don't like classic rogue-likes of almost any kind, but the gameplay (loop?) of Shiren looks interesting and easy to accept due to my years of playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon--and for those games I definitely prefer sprites over the 3D models, as well as the Japanese-y aesthetic.

Is there anything permanent in Shiren? I know you always start from level 1 and improve gear but do you ever come away with anything or are dungeons essentially just puzzles/endurance tests?
Have a look at Tangledeep. It's a bit easier to get into than Shiren, and they share a bit of DNA. You can painlessly transfer items, money, and pets to future characters. It looks good, and the port is perfect.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Hammer Bro. posted:

Seconding Tangledeep. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I wanted to but I think the people it's going to click with it's really going to click with, and you might be one of those people.
I bounced off it at first but after sorting out the unusual health management and the pet system it's clicked. It's very forgiving for a roguelike, with minutely variable difficulty options via mutators and the in-game Pandora Boxes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
gotta say the Switch is probably my favorite console period. being able to play full console games on the couch while my partner watches TV is a small thing but it's so much more pleasant than being relegated to the basement. if Nintendo keeps the mobile element and continues to support indies then they'll have my money

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Peteyfoot posted:

I love roguelikes and have a bunch of action roguelikes on the Switch. The only more "chill" one I have is Slay the Spire. Along with Shiren are there any other more slow-paced recommended roguelikes?

Tangledeep. It's very good

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Mario Golf looks good but I don't want to pay full price, so it got me thinking about alternatives. Any suggestions for good sports games of any sort on Switch, preferably cheap? Here are some other sports games I've enjoyed in the past:

MLB 2k5
NFL Blitz
NBA Street
Dirt Rally

Is see FIFA is on sale - is it fun for someone that is clueless about soccer?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Mister Facetious posted:

If you want a game that hasn't received a visual or engine update since... 2017 and still think EA is worth giving money to... wait no. No. gently caress them. Get one of the NeoGeo Super Sidekicks games for :10bux:. Or Golazo!

Thanks for the recs all. After poking around, I'm thinking Super Mega Baseball 3 is the speed I'm looking for. I like light sim elements without needing too much wonky knowledge. The demo's a lot of fun so far.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Anyone have recommendations for really weird or unique games available on Switch? Not looking for visual novels or simulators, I'm talking mechanically, stuff like TumbleSeed. I've been looking at old DS games and have been struck by how many one-off, weird games were made for it, like Bangai-O Spirits (which owns so hard).

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

The United States posted:

As long as they don't have to be exclusive there's a lot of weird and quirky switch games, they're just all on PC/PS/Xbox as well or ports of previous gen weird and quirky games.

Thanks, this is a cool list. What the Golf is exactly the sort of thing I mean - weird mechanics, unpredictability, unique look. The Stretchers and Snipperclips look really fun too but I don't have any couch co-op folks around.

e; speaking of weird mobile poo poo, does anyone have any DS recs? There's a drat good used game store in my city and they have a ton of DS games

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

abelwingnut posted:

what gaming sites are good?

seems like all of the good writers started podcasts and/or youtube channels and the sites have all gone to hell

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

man nurse posted:

Wait. The plug that goes into the dock can go into the switch itself too? Am I understanding that right?

Goddamn, I always thought you’d need to buy an adapter to charge the switch outside of the dock. Wow

I use my Samsung phone cable and wall wart to charge mine sometimes

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

b_d posted:

they also had the breakaway attachments that were supposed to reduce the damage when you trip over a cord, right? seemed like a good idea but i never understood what the benefit of having an added connection for it instead of making the connection looser on the console side.

pretty sure they're the only reason that i can still use a 360 controller with my pc today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I can play Doom, Link's Awakening, Spelunky 2, Slay the Spire, and THPS, all on the same console, on the shitter. Switch is one of the sickest consoles ever