Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mario Maker gently caress yessssssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFIX on Switch, cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

is final fantasy 9 any good? this is a real question i dont know

How much do you like Final Fantasy, just as a baseline? FF9 is basically a love letter to classic Final Fantasy games. Personally it's my favorite in the series and one of my favorite games ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LINKS AWAKENING!???!?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

These graphics are extremely confusing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh god that Ballad of the Wind Fish hum at the end kinda got me a bit, okay, I'm in

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna be listening to Ballad of the Wind Fish on repeat for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGJmFjfx6Q

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That very reason is what makes me inches close to buying and binging FFIX, which I've never played. Is it best to go in blind or something someone should know before hand or should I get a 100% guide?

FF9 is a game with a bunch of hidden little fiddly mechanics that let you do things like min-max your stat growth or deal 9999 damage with a level 1 character and absolutely none of them matter because the game is pretty easy the whole way through. In other words, you should probably just go in blind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

I guess the only thing is that equipment is f important in that it teaches your characters skills and stuff so you should stockpile it

But that's pretty obvious when you pi k it up

There's a hidden mechanic where equipment permanently affects your stat gains as you level up and you can min-max your stats by staying low-level until you get to the late game and doing all your leveling wearing perfect gear.

It's all useless because there isn't a single boss in the game where it matters that Zidane can do 9999 damage with his regular attack instead of just 9000. Even the superboss in this one, Ozma, has a pretty low amount of HP--the difficulty is in surviving at all rather than having to take down millions of HP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh hell yes, I was hoping for a port of this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I thought Breath of Fire was Capcom?

It is, but Square published the first one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo, is that something new from thatgamecompany???

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, this is just a "Nindies" showcase, not a real Direct.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Bravely Default 2?

but...bravely second

The only explanation I can think of is that "Bravely Default" is like "Final Fantasy" in that each numbered game with that title will have a different world, different story, etc. Meanwhile, Bravely Second was like one of the "-2" Final Fantasy games, like FFX-2. Bravely Second is like "Bravely Default 1-2" and then Bravely Default 2 is totally new.

It's... confusing, I guess.

Extremely :stoked: for it anyway though!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm excited to see all the new job costumes in BD2. It's cool that they're taking the opportunity to put new visual spins on classic FF jobs. That fuzzy White Mage hat in the trailer is very :3:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actually kinda liked the second half of Bravely Default but that probably makes me some sort of broke-brained mutant. I turned off random battles except when I wanted to grind job levels and basically treated it like a big boss rush. The teamed-up asterisk battles towards the end were really fun on Hard mode.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe the thing I'm most excited for is Bravely Default 2 having REVO back to do the music because the music in Bravely Second was really disappointing after the first one.

Bravely Default's soundtrack owns incredibly hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-9ihcy2R8

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I think Xenosaga 3 is fantastic! I replayed the entire Xeno franchise last year for the anniversary (belatedly) and it was the game that really stuck out to me as feeling the most improved over when I last played it.

A lot of it has to do with MSI going back to Xenogears to find what people liked about that game and applying it to Xenosaga, which means that the combat system is a lot faster, snappier, and spends less time in cutscenes while also finally refining an Extra Turn mechanic that kind of works for once. I can't say enough about how fun it felt to fight in this game compared to 1 and 2, and the robots got a much bigger focus this time with shinier, newer ones and an expanded combat system with a different aesthetic where everyone's floating and flying around. It feels so much cooler than previous games in the line where the robots just stand there.

The plot pushes hard forward to make up for wasting an entire game that didn't amount to much, but unfortunately since they had to cut to 3 games from 6 they had to abridge an entire game's worth of content into codex you're expected to understand. If you're willing to look past that and play along, you get a cool sci-fi galactic apocalypse story with some gonzo time travel, corporate warfare, and urgent spacebound adventure that delivers some exciting payoffs to the stuff they set up in the first two games. If you're into Gears they also brought back a bunch of plot points, characters, robots, bosses, and dungeons from that game and tied them into Saga properly (which fits because Gears had a big element of time being a flat circle and everything happened before happens again yadda yadda).

I could rave about it more but it's easily like my 3rd favorite game in the whole multi-franchise series and a great finale for the Saga franchise.

You've got me wanting to replay Xenosaga 3 here.

I played them all when they originally came out when I was in college and I remember being super hooked on the story, but I just don't remember too much of the games anymore. Honestly barely remember if I actually liked Xenosaga 3 a lot but the way you describe it it sounds like I would if I went back to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

its happening, it already got retail leaked and it will have control options to play it with joycons or the motions on the right analog stick for handheld

That alone is pretty exciting so I'm whatever on the rest of what's coming

Actually I do have one more wishlist item: an option to tell Fi to trust me to solve puzzles on my own. Do that and the game would own

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wait hold on I also want a Nocturne HD release date

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's Ryu... from Breath of Fire!

:eyepop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao Rex got owned

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What this means is Xenoblade 2 music in Smash and that is a very good thing, this game's soundtrack is amazing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll say it: Xenoblade 2 was dumb fun, the music owns, and it's cool that Pyra/Mithra made it in and not Rex

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they took out the dress-up so they could double-down on horrid costumes

The armor design in the first one was neat at least

Yeah the character designs in Xenoblade 2 are awful and not being able to play dress-up sucked

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i didn't love octopath but this looks like it could be good?

Same, I'm excited for a new tactical RPG and this looks neat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This looks good as hell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Octopath Tactics Ogre

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm guessing the post-apocalyptic desert thing is gonna be Splatoon 3's story mode

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CrisTales looks pretty neat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:swoon:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I love that he got probated even though they are literally high school girls. mod probably has an anime avatar

Does a slime count as anime?

Anyway it is explicitly against the Games forum rules to imply other users are pedophiles because they play anime games and they were already warned once.

Lodin posted:

Not that there's anything interesting on this list but it's probably legit.
https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/1403679275543318530?s=20

Wizard with a Gun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If we get any Zelda ports I really hope they include Wind Waker HD ported to Switch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

dragon quest is ok from my experience but i like the slime. he's my friend

The slime... is very good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Partially I'm not expecting any Metroid or BotW news because I don't want to get my hopes up, and also because I doubt either is going to release in 2021.

The thing I'm willing to get my hopes up for (and be potentially disappointed by) is some more Zelda ports, though. I would be very happy to see Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD ported to Switch. I enjoyed them both a lot on Wii U but I don't have my Wii U anymore and would at least like to play Wind Waker HD again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nintendo will announce the "Switch Pro... League", their new e-sports initiative

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shammypants posted:

The Nintendo Switch is a full on pervert simulator device now

I literally just probated someone for a week for repeatedly posting like this over DDLC but I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and just leave this picture from the rules thread as a warning

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

The hollering of these hit dogs, it's deafening

What's that now?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Text not coming through?

Well I just want to make sure you mean what I think you mean before I hit the probate button, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Really proving everyone wrong here. Both about mods and anime.

It is explicitly against the rules of the Games forum to insinuate people are pedophiles for playing anime games. Like, it's right there in the rules thread. You can go read it. That was a rule before I was a mod and I'm going to keep enforcing it like all the other ones.