Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Legend of Zelda : Link Commits Tax Fraud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACR1ODcds9Q

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Child of Light: If you’re the type of person to get annoyed by everyone talking in rhymes, don’t get it. I was on board with everything else about the game but that One Thing ruined it for me

they're not very good rhymes either

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Odyssey is fun for a couple hours then it sinks in that the stealth is garbage and every single battle is the exact same except that some enemies take several minutes of repetive button mashing to kill and the much-touted RPG mechanics are entirely there to make the game more tedious and psychologically manipulate you into buying micro transactions for your full-price game and then you remember why you stopped buying these games half a decade ago and uninstall the game.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 15, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frankston posted:

That wasn't my experience with Super Mario Odyssey at all.

Mario Odyssey’s stealth mechanics are pretty bad too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Modus Pwnens posted:

It's only a grind if you don't want to play the game, or if you're a reviewer trying to rush the ending in two days.

Like it's pretty clear I'll hit the max level well before the halfway point.

It took only a couple hours for Asscreed Odyssey to feel like a grind to me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I dunno are the flight mechanics in Starlink really at all comparable to Star Fox? Seems to be a lotta hovering and strafing as opposed to high-speed dogfights.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

I want to like BotW, I really do, but the fact that the master sword and the abilities you get from the bosses have to be completely used up in order to start recharging just pisses me off on some deep nerd level I can’t get over.

These systems literally incentivize players to waste resources in a game all about managing and conserving your resources.

Every time you use any of these abilities and want to go into any situation after that fresh, you have to just fire off the remaining ability charges at nothing until you’re all out, or slam your sword into rocks just so it breaks, just so you can trigger the recharge that takes 10 minutes.

It is the worst thing about the game, but it’s such a large part of playing that you can’t really ignore it. The idea that this was a deliberate design decision kills me. And it could all have been avoided if they would have just used a normal regenerating resource system like every other game that has ever existed.

Oh, and not being able to mass cook is garbage too.

At least they added in a horse recall system, which means the entire chunk of time they spent developing and implementing horses and horse riding into the game is no longer completely down the toilet for nothing like it was previous to the DLC.

So yeah. BotW is one of those rare games that is 99% awesome but the remaining 1% of design decisions ruin the whole thing.

loving lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the entire game was loving RUINED by a kinda rear end-backwards cooldown system for the overpowered extra abilities you get
totally
definitely

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How come Link in OoT can climb forever but weak rear end BOTW link can only hold a wall for like ten seconds :thunk:

I mean if u don’t move at all he can just hang on the wall as long as he wants

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Barudak posted:

There are tons of things they could have done to reward exploration,

which they did

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

but I guess they didn't have a reward for getting the rewards for the rewards with the rewards, so that might be a little disappointing the a select few!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

:stonk:
First playthrough too?

One of the issues with Okami is that the game’s Navi stand-in is pretty chatty, skipping that stuff is very nice

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Vanilla dark souls 2 was the BOTW of the souls series... because lovely weapon durability was a bug tied to FPS

isn’t this in the PS4 version still

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

Before everything was compared to dark souls.

Dark souls was compared to zelda.

"A 3D reimagining of the legend of zelda NES."

More Zelda II than Zelda I tbqh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

guess they patched it, I distinctly remember people complaining about weapon durability when SOTFS first launched.
My favorite level in Dark Souls 2 actually forces you to deal with the weapon durability on purpose as a level mechanic by having a long stretch between bonfires and acid and spike traps that cause heavy damage to your weapon if you’re not careful

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oscar Wild posted:

Good news: it will have gyro controls

Bad news: its tank gyro
Non-tank controls would literally break RE4, the game is incredibly tightly designed around its controls.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fangame so lovely and janky that it included QOL features that Nintendo would eventually put into their own Metroid 2 Remake and the designer almost instantly got hired by a professional studio after releasing his fangame

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lovely fangame: “including Ridley as a final boss would be shallow fanservice that disrupts the tone of the ending”
professional remake: “lol let’s throw Ridley in at the end why not”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirios posted:

okay no, you're not going to calm down or back down from this. gotcha.

your dire warnings about video game opinions have fallen upon deaf ears!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wouldn’t want to weaken the ending of *checks notes* Metroid 2?

so you agree with me but are just going “lol who cares”
gotcha

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 29, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

psylent posted:

I hope so. It was my first Zelda game and a pretty rad experience.

A friend sold me his 3DSXL and I played through A Link Between Worlds and that was pretty fun. I've started on OoT and will probably do Majora's Mask as well.

Are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks worth playing?

Phantom Hourglass kinda blows, Spirit Tracks is pretty good and worthwhile, both come with the caveat that you need to move using the stylus

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how long is Diablo 3’s story mode anyway

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Japanese culture has a large tendency to copy imagery from American media without the cultural context necessary to understand why certain imagery is now considered offensive. Unlike Americans, who have that cultural context but are merely too lazy and entitled to give a poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If instead of a Native American caricature it was just Mr G&W with a huge cock n balls I’d be 1000% on board with it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That Native American stereotype is thankfully getting removed from Smash

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Castlevania trilogy
Super Mario Bros 2 (both of them)
Zelda II
Kirby’s Adventure
Ducktales
Punch-Out
Contra
Ninja Gaiden trilogy

I’m waiting, Nintendo :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvxvzLVGTGs

New free Kirby DLC just got announced. Taranza, Magalor, & Susie and more stages. Looks like it’ll be out on the 30th.

oh thank god actual EX bosses, that was such a conspicuous absence from the base game.
watch Boss Rush Level 9 be a thing now.That should be fun
I'm excited for Magalor and Susie

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 8, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirby has the best goddamn lore of any video game franchise ever I swear

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Merkinman posted:

I felt kind of underwhelmed by Blossom Tales.
Next year there will be a kickstarted game called Hazelnut Bastille, which looks to scratch that LttP itch.

Looks very nice!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heath posted:

Tetris Effect looks cool but holy God the music is awful

good one

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

in a surprise twist the 5 or 6 teams on the salsa side completely eviscerate the army of guac lovers through pure insurmountable difference in skill

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Animal Crossing on Switch should have a hard mode where the villagers are all total demanding assholes like they were in the GameCube one and Resetti emotionally abuses you to no end like god intended

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 12, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it puts up about as much a fight as gaping dragon too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't tell if I like the cgi in detective pikachu or not.
like one second I look at it and I'm like "hey that looks pretty good" but then I look again and it's like "ehhh I dunno..."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

And yet when they officially released NES games, they got them from ROM sites.

no they didn’t, actually

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ah, Kirby, or some say Kaabii. Do you hear our prayers?
Grant us mouths, grant us mouths, plant mouths in our brains, so that we may sate our beastly hunger

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rom is a good boy and real and my friend, Rom's spiders are jerks and bullies and the ones that jumps are even worse.

Roms a girl

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BisterdDave posted:

I'm excited for Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. I always hear it's a good PS2 hidden gem, and to have it on a portable console sounds great!

It’s a surprisingly fun Zelda clone for sure

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The lava section seems like it could be a lot cooler. The big open section where you see the roots of the tree and the bottom of the lake are really neat ideas, but the age shows.

Nah, it looked bad in 2011 too. This is the part of the game where the dev team ran out of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heath posted:

Other M is alright if you ignore literally the entirety of the story and cutscenes. I think it utilized the Wii remote pretty well and I liked the turn-to-aim-missiles system.

Replaying the game on hard mode skipping every cutscene...nope still hated it. The combat is firmly rooted in the dark age of Team Ninja games, the level design is bland and repetitive, and the way the game presents its power-up system sucks out all the joy and satisfaction of progression.