Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Back when Bartolo was with the Angels there was a game in which he threw like 125 fastballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

What I love about OOTP is that if you simulate hundreds of (modern) seasons with it, it really pounds home the reality that the playoffs are completely loving random.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bewbies posted:

Also here's a tactics/rules question: how exactly would we use a guy like Wallner? Like, say he starts a game at 1B...could we move him to pitch an inning in the 7th and bring in a 1B for the exiting pitcher, then move him back to first after his inning?

Yes, in an NL-vs-NL game that would be fine. If you're playing at an AL park you can't do that without losing your DH though.

You can even put the exiting pitcher at 1B for an inning if you feel lucky and don't want to waste a bench player.

edit: in reality this could only ever happen if he started the inning and didn't bat in the previous half-inning (like he was one of the last 2 batters the previous inning so you can be pretty sure he won't have to bat), because he would have to warm up. In OOTP you can disable warmups, which I usually do when I manage individual games because gently caress all that extra clicking, but in this case it's something better respected for realism's sake.

edit 2: Also in reality I don't think anyone would ever have a guy pitch even an inning and then move back to 1B, because even relievers usually go straight to the clubhouse and get their arms iced up and etc. But you can be a visionary! Push the envelope! (Since this is a video game and you don't have to worry about the player and his agent throwing a hissy fit about it)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 17, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bewbies posted:

It looks like our manager isn't letting him pitch even though he's listed in the bullpen, which is devastating.

Yeah you can take control of an individual game yourself but you have to set his position to either 1B or RP and an AI manager will never use him the other way as far as I know.

e: in fact the AI manager might ignore it and just set his position back to whatever he wants it to be

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

At least through 18, if you took the time to look for them, in almost every draft you'd be able to draft a 20/20 position player in the 14th round and then convert him into a 45/80 reliever.

Never got 19 so I'm not sure if the Ohtani changes finally put an end to that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There’s usually expansion ~5 years after starting a new modern-day save, that’s been my experience for as long as I’ve been playing OOTP.

Invariably an alert player’s team is so stocked on prospects that you have to regularly make 2-for-1 and 3-for-1 prospect trades just to clear space on the 40 man, and this results in losing half your prospects in the expansion draft, so it will be fun if it happens here!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You should get a goon to do play by play commentary with and post it for the remaining WS games.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I meant, like, two goons as the PBP and (off?) color commentator. Go all the way with it :clint:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, if Lucchesi is worth more than his option then you don't decline the option, you pick it up and then trade him.

We will keep Cube Catcher. This is not a subject for negotiation. :colbert:

Trade Beer and Wingenter, keep Reynolds.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Actually, come to think of it, we may be able to expose Cube Catcher and then trade something less valuable than French to get him back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but at least San Antonio is renowned for its brave “Minutemen” militia

e: the most hilarious thing though is MLB putting another team in Florida. Because the other two are doing so well there!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 20, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Trade Beer for Rivera, who can take over in CF after we trade Reynolds.

Important question: how much ML service time does Chad Guyer already have?

Trade Hudson and Wingenter for Tanner and Robinson, if possible. I especially like catchers with high Catching Ability in OOTP.

I think if we get a really strong offer for Lewis, we should take it. Most of the time, injury prone guys will only get more injury prone as they age.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No extension for Lewis, look to trade him.

A team like the Dodgers can give Lewis 8/240 because if he winds up being injured for most of the contract, $30M a year out of their budget is just a nuisance. It would be a disaster for us. Not a good risk for us to take.

Guys that get injured a lot in OOTP tend to have their ratings abruptly crater around age 30, too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Only if it means no playoffs, just the LCS and World Series the way God intended :colbert:

e: and ditch the godless abomination of interleague play while we’re at it

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 21, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I feel bad for you kids who have no idea what pennant races were like. :corsair:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Then again, what the gently caress do I know? I still wish that they would shorten the season to 144 games or so to give the players more rest and/or increase the active roster size to 28-30.

Yep, the thing baseball needs is definitely an extra 3-5 relief pitchers per team

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aping the NFL's alignment is the absolute worst loving idea :barf:

bewbies posted:

As for Royce Lewis, his rear end only wants an 8+ year deal at 35m plus a year. Do we ride him until his last year of arbitration, or deal him this season?

Depends what we're offered for him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As a baseball history nerd this is one of my favorite selections of baseball trivia: the only two players in MLB history with five 30HR/30SB seasons are

Barry Bonds

and

Bobby Bonds

Apropos of nothing but hey, I think it's cool. :buddy:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also my favorite completely ridiculous and goofy idea is to put all 30 teams in the playoffs, with a ladder (or gauntlet, as I understand esports nerds call it) playoff format. Like taking this year's NL West as an example, the format would be

Oct 2: Padres at Giants
Oct 3: 10/2 winner at Diamondbacks
Oct 4: 10/3 winner at Rockies
Oct 5: 10/4 winner at Dodgers

Everyone theoretically has a chance, but in practice the Dodgers would win the division playoff like 70% of the time and the Rockies would win it 20% of the time, the lower teams very rarely winning, accounting for the better team being at home and fully rested while the lesser team is away, pitching a lesser starter and with a tired bullpen.

Then the six winners of the intradivision playoffs play three rounds of best-of-7, with the two best regular season records getting byes through the first round.

This will never ever happen in a million years of course, but it would be immensely popular if it did because of all the single-elimination games, and the regular season would still be hugely important. Not just to the good teams but to most of the teams, because finishing 3rd in your division gives you vastly better chances at luckboxing an intradivisional playoff win than finishing 4th.

I mean 4 divisions and no wildcards is the best thing, but if we're gonna throw that away then the above would be better than what we do now while producing no less random a result.

(You can't get OOTP to model this. I've tried. :smith:)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 22, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's a horrible broken mess and the OOTP devs would do well to quit listening to the vocal minority on their forums who want OOTP to be Football Manager.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is an oversimplification somewhat but the minor leagues were mostly free independent operators until the 1920s/1930s. The Baltimore Orioles of the 1910s/1920s, personally owned and operated by a dude named Jack Dunn, were the powerhouse minor league team of the era, but were forced to sell their stars, most notably Babe Ruth (probably the best hitter ever, though he was a superstar pitcher with the Orioles) and then ten years later, Lefty Grove (possibly the best pitcher ever) but also some other dudes, partly due to plain ol' financial pressure but also partly due to the shenanigans of some major league teams.

Branch Rickey was the biggest turning point that changed all that. Long before he was The Guy Who Broke The Color Line with the Dodgers he was running the Cardinals and buying up minor league teams, by the dozen, either outright or via agreements that essentially amounted to total control of the players on them. For twenty years the first Commissioner of Baseball, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, fought Rickey (and a few other guys, but most often and most vehemently Rickey) over this, Landis fighting to keep the minor leagues free and independent and not owned subsidiaries of major league teams. Rickey won, Landis lost, and by the 1950s essentially all professional baseball talent was owned in some way or another by the 16 Major League teams.

One of the key differences between the U.S. and any country in Europe, of course, is that the U.S. is loving gigantic. From Cap Anson's time in the 19th century the major league teams sought, increasingly, to buy up the best players from smaller leagues, but until phone and radio became widespread after World War I, there were a good many really awesome players who probably would have been good major league players who never played in the majors, either because they were simply never properly scouted, or because they liked living in California or Oklahoma or Georgia or whatever and didn't want to live in a big northeastern city.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

Cube catcher is the team prankster :3:

I'm gonna smile all day now after seeing that :kimchi:

This LP is a long way from done (I hope?) but once it winds down if there's interest in doing a totally off-the-wall fictional OOTP LP, I miiiiight be willing to invest the time to do that. I recently set up such a zany league and am doing some tinkering, but I like the results. It's two 12-team leagues, split into two divisions each, and a 90 game schedule (12 games against the 5 intradivisional teams, 5 games against the 6 teams in the other division = 90) and 1920s style baseball. And the playoff structure is... idiosyncractic. It's glorious.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 22, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't think any price is too high to add Dick Lovelady to our team :allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

I bought OOTP19 on sale the other day and have been loving around with the A's. They start in the goddamn red and when I offloaded Davis because - while good - he's also getting paid $12M I didn't have (and could actually get me half-way decent stuff back), fans absolutely loving rioted.

The fans don't run your team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I had something really neat happen in my game

This story popped up during the offseason about my closer

and then a couple weeks later, he sent me a message

I picked "start a charity" and a few days later was one last event and it gave me a 10 point fan interest bump as well as a full step of loyalty

Yeah I just had this event like two days ago, I presume it's something that can randomly fire on a player with a Captain personality. Super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Awww, thread's already over?

Seriously bewbies, this LP was awesome and you're awesome for putting all that time into it. :cheers:

I leave you all with another of my favorite baseball trivia, this one straight from the New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, which is the greatest baseball book ever written and you should go buy it right now if you don't already own it: Ken Griffey Jr. was the second best lefthanded outfielder that was ever born in Donora, PA, on November 21.

• Locked thread