Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god, what is it with 2018 that's delivering so much choice anime? At which point did the normally super rigid people who approve projects said "HELL YEAH, UNDEAD IDOLS TACKLE DIFFERENT GENRES PER EPISODE. THAT'S WHERE THE GRAVY TRAIN AND GOLD-PLATED DIAPERS ARE, BABY" and went on their merry ways?

... you know what? I'm fine either way. I love this drat show already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Where the gently caress is Woody Harrelson
No Woody Harrelson, but he'll be in your heart... if you imagine this one song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EI8JN-fSLo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I lament is that SatoshiMiwa beat me to the punch in creating the thread and we couldn't use the doofus title I had in mind :cheeky:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

Watch as Tae is revealed to have been voiced by KanaHana all this time.
I wouldn't put it past this project to do a goofy stunt casting like that, taking into account that she did the "Zawa, zawa" effects for one segment of the Middle Manager Tonegawa series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

Kotaro covertly starting to beatbox killed me, I am now a zombie
I loved that part. The whole episode was a slam-dunk of emotions, music, zombies and not-Mamoru-Miyano-but-totally-voiced-by-Mamoru-Miyano being larger than life. This and double decker are depantsing everything else this season.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked this episode because, while not as gag-heavy as the previous two (which were, to be quite honest, complete grand-slams), it shows that, y'know, they've just been doing this for a couple of days. It's not magic.

I mean, maybe they're using magic (reanimated zombies, y'all), but... yeah. :shobon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What I like the most is that the girls have been performing by the seat of their pants literally the whole time, but the one performance where they all actually sorta practice and they both tank it + it has the weakest audience response so far is like I get that. Hell, you don't even need to be a performer to get it.

I love this goofy-rear end show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can roll with(and, hell, you can even say that I can dig) the goofy just fine, y'know. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While I was feeling somewhat lukewarm on parts of the episode, the extremely great faces and those last 3 minutes absolutely slayed me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mulderman posted:

But it was adorable yes.
Has the dub of episode 2 come out yet? I really wonder how they'll handle the rap battle.
Hopefully even more 8 Mile-esque.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, y'know: The highest profile VA and she's mainly just doing grunts, bawks and silly noises. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm starting to like all the Zombie Girls due to her varied approaches:
  • Sakura is obviously sorta like the audience surrogate in that she's trying to figure out what's her post-life deal gonna be like... but she's also not a complete pushover or a blank slate MC.
  • Saki is loving awesome because she just wants to start poo poo and have fun.
  • Lily seems like the cute little kid... until she starts making cutting remarks and you're like "Wait, why is an elementary school-aged girl so drat snarky?"
  • Yuugiri rolls with the punches and seems to be easily adaptable/incredibly talented (which makes sense, since to be an Oiran you had to be an incredibly proficient entertainer)
  • Junko seems oddly shy and kinda boring... until you realize all the hangups she has due to the fact that she used to fly solo and was often used to things in this particular way
  • Ai was kinda my sore point... but these past episodes have totally sold me on her.
  • Oh and Tae. Tae is awesome because she probably has a really interesting backstory... but right now she's a gag-manga character incarnate and the writers seem to be using her really well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it cool to post some killer fanart?

Absolutely loving Saki's expressions.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Only when you post the source.
I'll be good and post them, then. :)

Here's a fairly cute Zombie Sakura:

x

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

I like Sakura's look of vague embarassment.
It's her signature. Her faces when pushed into ridiculous circumstances are so drat funny, starting with her "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH?!" reaction to Death Metal Scream Saki in episode 1.

Also this gem (Remote linking because it was slowing everything to a crawl on my side).

:allears:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 14, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CrazySalamander posted:

Given that this is a contender for top anime of the season for me, are there other shows (from any point in time)people recommend? Are idol shows usually this good?
As Endorph has mentioned (and me also deciding to tackle the show) I can confirm that the much referenced Aikatsu is pretty drat good at idol'ing anime.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Argas posted:

You didn't bring up Cinderella Girls you monster.
Cinderella Girls is good, but the 2011 Idolm@ster series is a goddamn treat to the senses. :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think you already know her gang. I mean, we've been following their shenanigans all along. :grin:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

We still have Yugiri and Tae. I'm thinking Yugiri is next after Saki, then a saga propaganda episode, a Sakura episode and then finally Tae.

Although the show has done incredibly well and having Tae snap out of her feral state would hinder the probability of a second season. I want the show to branch out to not just Saga, but the rest of japan. Show me cool tourist locations through japan with zombie girls Mappa
And a new producer guy, too! Since Kotaro is visually based on (and voiced by) Mamoru Miyano, maybe the next producer should look like / be voiced by... I dunno, Kissho Taniyama or Showtaro Morikubo?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Come on Kotaro, you can do this
Mamoru Miyano becoming best boy of the season based on playing what's basically a slightly quieter version of himself would rule really hard. Sakuta is a delightful, endearing little jerkface, though, so I think that's gonna be an uphill battle.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This week's episode destroyed me. This is not fair, Zom-Com show! Not loving fair at all! :qq:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was a really loving grand slam of an episode. And I'm really really glad that aside from Saki being kind of blunt about it, all the girls, the dad and Kotaro were like "It's her identity and what she wants".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is completely in character for everyone involved and whoever did this gets the show. Perhaps too well. :mmmhmm:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the "sute" explicitly means Lily discarded/renounced Masao as an id. Like, I'm guessing CR was trying to both "find a happy middle" and get things translated ASAP, but if you know Japanese it's not so much "What did Lily meant by that?" as it is "There's no ambiguity. Lily straight up gave up the name/id she was born with". I should probably re-watch the episode with the Spanish subtitles, but I'm honestly not sure if there'd be that much difference, since I'm guessing they're running off a similar translation script/whachamacallit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Crunchy translators are both rushed and underpaid - it's far more likely that whoever was translating this show wasn't really considering any kind of nuance at all, more than any kind of intentional attempt to 'find a middleground.'
Well dang, that's no good. I mean, half the time I'm already watching most shows either with no subtitles (especially if I'm using headphones) or just to see if they do anything different. I was rewatching Slayers on CR before the funimation thing got it struck down (I basically switched to YouTube afterwards) and I liked how Gourry straight up says in Japanese something along the lines of "Well, I guess it's time we stopped pretending this is a gag series and get serious, huh?" and I think that the subtitles just went with something like "Well, I guess it's time to get serious, huh?", which kinda bummed me out, because it's one of my fave things about Novel gourry that the anime's first season didn't quite eschew in that he had his smarty-pants, 4th-wall-breaking quips comments.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Daxing Dan posted:

Adabana means a flower that fails to produce any fruit before it wilts, or figuratively, something that may appear impressive, but has no substance to back it up.

Endorph posted:

A flower that fails to bloom, and its used as a metaphor for something that fails to meet its fullest potential.

So you can either read it as 'they failed to meet their full potential, than necromancy happened' or you could read it as 'necromancy that won't actually accomplish anything'
Indeed. Specifically, Adabana is written like this:「徒花」 (funnily enough, is quicker to type "to" in the IME and just scroll down a couple of entries to get that first kanji; curse you, windows IME! :argh:)

The first kanji is often used for a couple of meanings, but the one used here is akin to "failure", "in vain". So Daxing and Endorph are basically going with the "Fruitless Flower" reading, which is most likely the intended meaning by the song's lyricist for the final result to be something like "Fruitless Necromancy". :eng101:

The second kanji is the fairly common "Hana" (which is sometimesabbreviated like "ka"), which means flower in most cases. Unless you want to make puns/wordplay/read it like a translation of its Chinese counterpart. Yay.

e: To quote the two posts since other posts happened in the interim.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 28, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that probably makes more sense... though now that I've read the posts above mine and the ones on the SSSS.Gridman thread that often brim with speculation and theories, I now can't remove my :tinfoil: completely. Speculation about a currently airing can truly be a double-edged sword.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Daxing Dan posted:

It seems reasonable to me that the zombies themselves are the adabana. The singers seem to be singing about themselves, which would mean that they're calling themselves adabana in the first chorus.

By the way, you don't have to derive the meaning of adabana from first principles when it's a pre-existing word with an established definition that you can look up in a dictionary
Hey neat! More resources. :dance:

I kinda want to see what more the show does as far as presenting idols, since the only two shows I've seen about it are Idolm@ster and Love Live and those have their own things going on.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably deliberate. That a show is willing to go to that length to show how much their main cast has grown is rad as heck.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
「夜露死苦!!」 :kamina:

Also, the funky Fantastic Lovers (the first song we hear in the first episode) is out, for your audio pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJrYdqkCSgE

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I lost it when I noticed what made up Tae's "odangos". :cawg:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:yeah: Would get one!

e: Oh boy, first post on new page. Here's a Tae!

x

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 10, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, life just kept on dumping it on poor Sakura. Like yeah, at times it felt like too much, but I guess I sorta understand her. Kinda want to give the poor girl a hug. :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

the dog's brain is in tae and tae's brain is in the dog
That makes a lot of sense... maybe Kotaro has been trying to do this Zombie thing for a while but Tae/Romero were his first attempts and he totally messed up. That's why he went to Hollywood and then he picked up makeup artistry along the way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw the finale. I basically already had an idea of what it would be. I still absolutely loved it, cheesy moments, warts(, grunts) and all.

Kotaro, you big dork. You big, stupid, beautiful dork. :cry: Sakura is a good egg. Yugiri best mom. And Tae don't need no words to show she cares for her buddies, and that's why she's the best. :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

I skipped every cgi dance scene.
You're in the wrong neighborhood, sonny. :toughguy:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like, she doesn't have the set of pipes that Ms. Kawase has, but Risa Taneda does have a really nice voice. And I'm glad that she seems to have recovered from her throat condition. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ZIZ6v7egU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
At first I was like "Hey, where's my fave child actress and gang leader?" Then I opened the tweet. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sephyr posted:

Saw posts here and dared hope it'd be news about a new season....
Wasn't a 2nd season more or less confirmed given how the 1st Season ended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dzhay posted:

Should I even ask, or am I better off not knowing?
Lily is cool. Hate groups are not.

https://twitter.com/SeikoTwit/status/1123705142283505665