Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, the thing about ComicsGate, other -gate movements, and the chud/alt-right in general is that they like to pretend they're creatures of pure, honest logic, but it's a con game. Either they're foot soldiers to some right-wing puppet master who's deliberately motivated them towards a specific target (the D&C guy, Milo Y. and Adam Baldwin for GamerGate), they're trying to make their nonsense sound decent so they can suck well-meaning people in, or both at once.

Some of them may even honestly believe that they're just trying to have fun with comics and don't care for a blatant ideological bias present in their pop culture, but that argument's all holes. As Archyduke (?) pointed out in the last thread, the idealized, politics-free past that these people aspire to never actually existed. All art, even pop art, is inherently reflective of the creator's viewpoint. If you're actually going to try to argue otherwise, then it's simply reflective of poor critical-thinking skills.

The only real recourse is to ignore them, belittle them, or push them out as opportunities and circumstances dictate. All you can do is hope to minimize the damage until they either flame out or wise up.

The good news, such as it is, is that there are no smooth media operators behind a typical -gate. Gamergate in particular did a lot of damage, but most of its leaders have either vanished into clouds of failure or are in the process of doing so, and its two primary targets, Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, got more successful. (I'm sure they'd prefer to have attained fame some other way, of course, but I still think it's funny; an entire international social-media organization that had a major goal in getting Sarkeesian to shut up and go away actually resulted in her addressing the United Nations.)

Comicsgate is already following that lead the last I checked, as tends to be the case any time you let Theodore "Vox Day" Beale into the clubhouse. They may be mouthy on Twitter and Disney may be lovely at dealing with organized social-media hate campaigns, but there's no way this ends in any kind of victory for them. At best, you'll see a small indie press company spring up where the right-wing chud patrol can publish their own books, most of which will be mediocre at best, and that'll be an end to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

bessantj posted:

Anyone know anything about the allegations made against Waid by Shannon Pierce-Outlaw?

Just what she's said.

It sounds like there's some bad blood there, but assuming it's true, Waid being a douchebag in an unrelated matter wouldn't have much in the way of correlation with this nuisance lawsuit from Meyer. Seems like it muddies the waters.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ror posted:

Someone just donated 18k to it. I don't know if it's funnier/more pathetic that someone is stuffing the ballot box that hard or if some insane person actually believes in CG to the tune of thousands of dollars.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some bitcoin superstar libertarian who's determined to keep this hustle rolling 'til the bitterest of all possible ends, or if some hedge-fund schmuck is pushing it forward dark-money style.

There are enough conspicuously rich right-wing shitheads in the world right now that EVS donating five-digit sums to himself at a loss doesn't strike me as the most likely scenario here.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I wonder at what point EVS will achieve a critical mass where he's more known and remembered for showing his rear end on Twitter over his political stances than he is for his X-Men or Green Lantern runs.

I think he's coming perilously close to being there, if he isn't there already.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

With the announcement of Saladin Ahmed's new Ms. Marvel book, the chuds are coming back out in force.

https://twitter.com/BleedingFool/status/1071454233843695617

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'd be excited to know how many of his followers are bots, and/or burner accounts made by reporters and watchdogs to track his bullshit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Issy posted:

I really do want to believe that too.

Well, no, there's no real belief component. Once you get above a certain threshold of Twitter followers, a significant number of them are guaranteed to not be real people. I only have 149, and several of my followers are parody gimmicks, bots, or some dude double-following me on both a business/project and personal account.

Spencer having 76k followers doesn't mean there are actually 76,000 people who are actually down for his brand of bullshit, particularly since he's exactly the kind of dude who'd pay to boost his own follower count.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Edmund Lava posted:

What did Gabby Rivera do? I mean besides being a gay Latina.

This is like the seventh Google result for her name.

http://boundingintocomics.com/2017/12/07/marvel-comics-writer-gabby-rivera-espouses-anti-white-racism/

So yeah. She was being a gay Latina right out in the open where anyone could see her.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

For that matter, if I remember correctly, when he found out that fans thought Connor Hawke might be gay, Dixon's reaction was to write a story in which Connor slept with Shado, of all characters. Because that was somehow better.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

It is utterly baffling to me that EVS completely flushed his lucrative career (like drawing 6 issues tops of Green Lantern or Flash for mucho $$$ every year) and severed any good will ties with most colleagues just to be a youtube ranter and publish loving Cyberfrog.
Does he know that you can be a chud and keep a low profile?

The hustle doesn't work unless he's being prosecuted by somebody, over something. If that means he has to torpedo the rest of his life in order to look like he's being discriminated against for his beliefs, then that's what the hustle demands.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I would not mind seeing the bar lowered from just insane chuds to just bad business practices, and I think some of the poo poo marvel DC and others have pulled has flown here, but selling a product as an injustice might be too low of one

This thing with Gaiman, while sketchy, doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same thread as Ethan Van Sciver's continued downhill slalom. Things that Gaiman's wife is doing definitely don't need to be brought up here, because as far as I know, she's never made a comic book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jedit posted:

...and I much preferred Coraline when it was called The Thief of Always and Clive Barker wrote it.

What a lazy pseudo-criticism of two works that share a surface-level similarity.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Bold strategy, Cotton.

I went back to look it up, because I thought I remembered it from back when Miller was a favorite punching bag in the LF political cartoons thread, and the man has five children.

There has got to be something better he could do with any money in his possession than throwing it away to "own the libz."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

And some of their art, so you know what comics will look like when we finally get rid of all the drat SJWs ruining comics.

https://twitter.com/SigilComics/status/1093618819568939009

I think I've mentioned it before, but years ago, I attended Wizardworld Chicago with a press badge, and as a result, I got an insane number of small- and self-published comics thrown at me, occasionally literally, over the course of the convention. Some were okay, some were good, some were basically jumped-up scribbles bound by hand and made with a photocopier. I still have a couple, one of which had a really good cover but the interiors were basically FF7 fanart done in ballpoint pen.

And somehow, Johnny Gonna Save Comics here has not cleared that bar. I hope to hell he's only about 13.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Incidentally, Bounding Into Comics guy is trying to jump onto the Mortal Kombat 11 ginned-up controversy train, because it features the return of two female characters who are now fully dressed, rather than fighting in string bikinis as they were in 2011's Mortal Kombat.

I am somewhat cheered by seeing that a lot of his feedback so far has been "Yeah, they started doing that four years ago, broseph, where you been?"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TheHan posted:

I've looked everywhere but can't find any info on this, what the hell is going on with Pensacon?

I got curious and looked myself. Everything I can see about a problem there right now is either from Bounding Into Comics or a random YouTube video, which links its source as one of EVS's videos.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

...is EVS okay? As a person?

Because this is really starting to feel like the kind of story that ends with "During the autopsy, they discovered he had a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vandar posted:

Don't forget the lobsters.

Or the weird-as-hell map of his 'teachings'.

That looks like something the Church of the Sub-Genius would've made as a joke.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

X-O posted:

I have a feeling this will be a future topic in this thread.

https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1098991178941374473

I'm having a really hard time looking directly at this. My eyes just kind of slide off of it. I think it might be a defense mechanism.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, calling the left NPCs because we all think the same is like saying people who think water is wet are NPCs.

The root of the argument, in my experience, has been that they think the fact that they're constantly being called racist/sexist/fascist is indicative of some kind of left-wing orthodoxy that they're daring to transgress against. It is not simply that they're assholes, it's that they have the courage to be assholes, even in the face of such organized opposition.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Also, not for nothin', but "infactuation" isn't a word.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

site posted:

Okay I guess I'm a terrible person but apparently Ron marz punched rich Johnston and all I can think is that's hilarious

https://twitter.com/Nick_Hanover/status/1107013257611673600?s=19

I find it hard to consider Rich Johnston as "comics media." He's the dollar store Perez Hilton of American comics.

If it's the start of a disturbing trend, yeah, that's not great, but:

Skwirl posted:

It's not something I'd endorse, but I absolutely can't find it in me to give a drat.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Star Wars Girl destroys Brie Larsen by yelling at her in a video Larsen does not know exists and if she did she would ignore

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I am really, genuinely curious about the person behind these tweets. I wonder about his life, and how he chooses to live it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/GilbertDeltrez/status/1111774899201339397

Yeah, I dunno Image. I think you may have missed on a gold mine.

There's nothing quite like getting angry over your rejection letters in "public" to make sure your next submission's a guaranteed success.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

site posted:

was she in the hospital or something

She got mass-reported by CGers for nothing and ate a short suspension.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

bessantj posted:

It's the "for the entertainment of tens of thousands" part that makes me laugh. What collection of Baevis and Butthead motherfuckers think cutting up an action figure is entertaining?

There's a certain lunatic fringe out there in the Discourse who would ritually self-immolate if they thought it would, somehow, even if only for a second, "trigger a lib."

site posted:

that's the red letter media guy? how can yall stand to look at that

There's a certain persona that Mike Stoklasa inhabits on his shows that's much drunker and dumber than the actual Mike, although he does have a bad habit of being a contrarian jackass.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I saw some chatter that he's incredibly cash poor, once the GFM/KS/IGG well dries up he's probably going to end up homeless.

I do wonder how many of the people who are pursuing this sort of grift are true believers, vs. those who are doing it to hopefully catch the attention of some dark-money font, the way Milo was for a while to the Mercers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

site posted:

Has there ever been a big money backer for a cgator?

GamerGate ended up with a lot of dark money flowing into it, which might have as much to do with Milo as anything else, and it's hard not to see something like Van Sciver's current "output" as a low-key audition thereof. I'm also not convinced that all these quasi-successful Indiegogo campaigns are 100% on the level.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Milo got a lot of funding from political think tanks and such to do his poo poo, which all started as GamerGate stuff on Breitbart. There are direct links between GamerGate and the ascension of the alt right.

Exactly that.

It's actually why Milo's in so much financial trouble now. He was roaming around the world like a particularly dumb rock star while living entirely off of the good will and grace of one of the big right-wing money spigots. I think his was the Mercer family. Once that dried up, because it turns out even they have limits, things started to get a wee bit schadenfreudey over Milo way.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's weird and obnoxious how many separate areas in nerd culture don't really release reliable sales figures, and in so doing, turn actual market performance into this weird detective game where it's stupidly easy to massage the data for ideological purposes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Spookyelectric posted:

Oh hey, by the way, here's a tip for anyone reading this thread that might be interested in doing comic work: Even if they offer royalties, and the company is great, get some $$$ up front. I learned that the hard way...

That's solid life advice for any big freelance project.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Which is immediately distinct from the trade paperback market... how?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

vkeios posted:

This is a lie on the level of a child with chocolate on their face telling you that they didn’t eat all the cookies.

Btw as a bonus
https://twitter.com/d_yeisley/status/1110395687278202880
He also makes 3D models of women with big boobs.

Looking at the art, I feel like this dude's got to be some 20-something smacked rear end who got pulled into a bad scene. Even without the defense of EVS over Kirby, he just doesn't seem to know anything.

I am endlessly grateful that I got out of my 20s before current social media really existed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

bessantj posted:

Who are the NPCs in this context? I thought NPCs were what they called the SJWs.

Dawgstar is the NPC, because anyone who argues leftist sentiments is a programmed non-person.

It is, of course, projection.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

bessantj posted:

Thanks, I've let this whole NPC thing pass me by.

You were better off.

Seriously, it blows my mind. The idea behind the "NPC" designation is that they're accusing people of not thinking for themselves and downloading pre-programmed arguments, which means they aren't really people and can be conveniently ignored. This, from a political bloc that thinks in tweets and image macros while all using the same shallow pool of slang and congregating around a handful of political figureheads.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Viridiant posted:

Why are they so mad about soy anyway.

Being anywhere to the left of Richard Nixon is because you have been exposed to soy in sufficient quantities that it has disrupted your vital male humors and lowered your testosterone to a level that has clearly affected your thinking :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

That file size doesn't seem big enough, even though the run time's been cut in half.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alaois posted:

in an early issue of Cartoonist Kayfabe, Ed Piskor cuts a promo about Shi and how there were so many ads for it in Wizard, Little Eddie thought that meant it must have been great and then when he eventually read it later in life it was awful

I read a few issues of it, mostly due to how often Shi used to show up in crossovers (there are almost as many Shi crossover comics as there are comics with just her in it, going from the Wikipedia entry) and Wizard.

It's a really weird book when Tucci is involved with it, because there's this whole push-pull undercurrent about Ana, the main character, trying to square her beliefs from her childhood Catholicism with her violent tendencies, because it turns out that going out at night in a weird kabuki outfit to murder a bunch of guys isn't something you can just do for a while then stop without consequence. It's almost an interesting concept, although I didn't realize at the time just how blatantly it was Frank Miller's Daredevil If He Was A Hot Japanese Lady Who Kills People.

It's got the frequent '90s indie issue of having virtually no coherent reading order, though, plus there's this weird thing where, for a book about a woman who fights ninjas with no pants on, it's weirdly uncomfortable with sex as a concept. The main character is repressed as hell, and constantly caught in this odd self-loathing vicious cycle, so her infamous outfit is actively working against the typical themes of her stories. There isn't even the usual writer's dodge, IIRC, of trying to justify her pantslessness with "freedom of movement" or as a distraction tactic; the books just never actually talk about it. Ana might as well look at the reader and say "if I was wearing pants, nobody would be reading this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Pretty much all of Ellis's protagonists (and yes, I am including Spider Jerusalem and the Authority in this) have nothing but contempt for the masses and the common people.

I read them as frustrated idealists who think the "common people" should be better than they are. Spider in particular gets along just fine with "normal people" throughout Transmetropolitan; he may complain or chew out a few, but the actual targets of his ire are politicians and manipulators. It's not contempt; it's often frustration, but when the rubber hits the road, they'll stand up in defense of those masses.

There's a common thread throughout virtually all of Ellis's protagonists, particularly in his '90s work and later, where they're people who started off with some degree of good intentions and got that kicked out of them over the course of events prior to the start of the present story. Now they're embittered, but out to affect change via whatever methods are necessary, which typically involves short, sharp applications of violence because he's working in genre. It's particularly noticeable in Switchblade Honey, which is about as close to Ellis directly writing a protagonist manifesto as anything he's ever done.