Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nuns with Guns posted:

The D&DGate thing fell flat because there was no real weight of public figures behind it. And the guy leading the push is an unlikable rear end in a top hat with fans that are too crusty to use Twitter or YouTube. (Though I guess that didn't stop the D&D dev team from recruiting him for a paid playtest of 5e to buy his endorsement of it.) He's busy embedding himself in comicsgate now and nobody is giving him the time of day.

Comicsgate had a few false starts before some major creators jumped in on it and the D&C YouTube channel got big enough to campaign around. The blowup around that alt right Magic: the Gathering youtuber harassing female cosplayers should be proof that the ingredients are there if someone can perfect the recipe for a tabletopgate.

The difference is that WotC immediately took a huge steaming poo poo on Hamhocks and made it clear that the behavior isn't acceptable

Unlike marvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Midnight Voyager posted:

being face to face just lets them sexually ASSAULT instead of just harassing. If you think being face to face makes them back down, you'd be mistaken when there are multiple lovely faces and one woman to gang up on. Here's a story from the 40k crowd.

Side bar this is surprisingly not from the incredibly terrible 40k crowd, it's malifaux, which has a generally less lovely company and crowd behind it

Which makes this even more depressing for me

Edit cool the co creator of Malifaux sucks farts I'm good with not giving them more money

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

The post above literally says you can reply however you like. I'm not sure it can be made any clearer.

By saying that telling Nazis to gently caress off isn't harassment, in as many words.

Since that's what got your undies in a twist last time and lead to you closing that thread and restarting it instead of just, I dunno, not telling queer people to ignore people being lovely

On a scale of one to ten being more concerned about preserving a civil discourse than the feelings of marginalized people in the face of people who are at best apathetic to their existence is the dumbest thing you could do

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 16, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thank you! I'm glad you finally acknowledged that it's cool and good to tell shitheads to choke on farts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mewnie posted:

I'm at work right now so I can't read it, but is it as wonderous as when that Canadian judge shredded SovCits?

No because it's not a systematic explanation of something as insane as SovCits, its just a guy saying that Dickie sucks

poo poo it's not even as good as the Maddox lawsuit where the other guys lawyer filed a brief where he did like a bunch of acrostics spelling out cuck and making fun of the other lawyer and poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
From that Erik Larsen thread

https://twitter.com/AndrewZollweg/status/1061746697250820097?s=19

"I was excited by the potential in the most used thematic thing in comics" - a smart and reasonable man

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

At least that part starts to make sense after you've seen a couple and realize that hair color often denotes personality type in anime

Which is another od the things that doesn't work in manga, because everyone has black hair or not black hair until you get a color page

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rkajdi posted:

I mean, isn't the one weird trick just "Hit them in the wallet"? These guys pretty obviously don't have permanent deep pockets and don't have the talent to get stuff out on their own, so making them radioactive enough that the big two won't touch them and social media no platform them seems like enough to make sure that they don't get to spread their poison. And it seems like at least the big two are on board with this (though also screwing over decent authors who engage with Comicsgate) and social media is trying to at least sweep the alt right under the rug.

Comicsgate's main failure is due to being a sliver of a sliver. These movements all seem to pool from the same kinds of people, and in many cases the literal same people. It's a small slice of the audience, but a small slice of the huge gamer audience is still big. A slice of the already small comics audience involves a failure to even get the critical mass to sustain a movement. As long a you actively suppress them instead of ignoring them like was done with Gamergate, Comicsgate should be completely dead soon.

He's not a fan of deplatforming

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Also I was told to stop saying to the obvious Nazi to "gently caress off."

And then a bunch of queer people were told to ignore people who say we should treat people who want to kill us with respect

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

Bringing Lee into the conversation does add a weird dimension to CG. They talk about going back to the comics were when they were younger, and the misplaced belief that comics were non-political back in the good old days, but if you look at Lee (and others) output during their peak you see that Lee and Kirby created Black Panther, X-Men comics were a stand in for minorities, Spiderman was just a regular shlub trying to do the right thing for others etc. The stories being pumped out by Marvel during Lee's tenure were about acceptance and tolerance.

Obligatory

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gynovore posted:

Lefties think that everyone who doesn't agree with them is far right, and vice versa.

I mean I'm approximately as far left as you can go without disappearing down the theory hole as an anarchocommunist and this is absolutely not true

Most likely you're just an rear end in a top hat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

quote:

I know SA has this whole burning hate on for TRUTH IN THE MIDDLE or Centrism but things aren't entirely black and white ya know? It however might just be a monochrome canvas with a couple specks of dust in a corner.

Yeah okay go gently caress yourself you centrist moron

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Shout out to Band of the Hawk, who got really mad at Kentaro Miura for saying that the official romanization of the main character of the comic he created was Guts and not Gattsu

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheComicFiend posted:

I recently read an autobiographical/diary manga written by a trans woman called "I Was Born the Wrong Sex!" (Umareru Seibetsu wo Machigaeta!).
It seems pretty detailed and mostly focuses on her experience being married to a woman in Japan and actually traveling solo to Thailand for SRS.

I don't think there's an official translation for it yet but it's real interesting!

There's another one called The Bride Was A Boy that does have an official translation and is incredibly good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think it's seven seas so good luck finding it in the wild, but it's available through diamond so your local shop should be able to get it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who uses that tho I mean really

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s kind of funny how comiXology has basically become one of the easiest places to obtain Manga. You can even get popular series with same day releases now.

Like you can get weekly Shōnen jump for a buck.

You get it for maybe half that if you just get a sub through viz

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Viz’s online store isnt very good last I checked. Ain’t worth the like 20 bucks you’d save

Their app is fine and good you should just sub to it

There's even a Jump app for people who just want to sub and don't care about the online store

Still sub on their site though because it's cheaper

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 29, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elizabeth Breitwiser

Which apparently it's more about her husband being a shithead and her going along with it than her actually personally supporting it but yeah still sucks

Bru and Phillips dropped her like a fuckin bomb when that happened, she's not their colorist anymore, which suuuuuuucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hemingway To Go! posted:

hussie apologizes

so basically it WAS hussie who wrote all that. make of that what you will.

still think it's a far cry from the outright shittiness of most of the people discussed even though it's bad. it's just thoughtless comedy in an era where that is not really funny anymore because we have a direct connection to the opinions of the dumbest and worst of society and many of the have political power. The comic itself already had weird poo poo like this but not writ as large, but maybe that's been forgotten since Hussie himself has not been writing homestuck since middle of Act 6. Some wanted him back, because the writers who wrote for him were not very good, but probably not after this.

Yeah you need to remind and back up the "Homestuck was ghost written at the end" thing because it definitely wasn't and that sounds like a stupid conspiracy theory to explain why you didn't like the end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nvm

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

I vaguely remember hearing that IDW sometimes stiffed people but tbh I couldn't tell you where or when that came up, but they aren't exactly new

E: doh guess it was vault according to e&c I should read first

E2: excuse me, I was thinking about Boom, not IDW

I've heard that boom pays absolute dogshit for their licensed books but not that they stiff people

They have to pay at least something, I can't imagine why Spurrier does all of his weird eight issue "I thought of this working on 2000ad but it would never work in that format" books there otherwise

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

Taking after his wife, then, who crowdfunded a concert tour to the tune of several times more than she needed then asked musicians local to the gigs to back her without being paid.

And crashed on couches, I remember that one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vince MechMahon posted:

Her justification for it, which was essentially "I was being an ignorant idiot who didn't realize I'm not an indie DIY artist anymore (despite being exactly that, technically) and due to my success shouldn't be acting like I'm still couch surfing in the early Dresden Dolls days," and then paying everyone and it never happening again is all perfectly reasonable. Honestly anyone who still brings it up years later is probably just a misogynist and should be featured in this thread, but not for the reasons they think and are causing them to post right now.

Lmbo no it was a really lovely thing and in the context of Neil signal boosting people trying to raise money for the master rear end it is perfectly reasonably to bring up

Fake edit gently caress it I'm leaving that auto correct

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

Yeah, honestly folks, I wasn't even thinking of how it placed in the context of this thread. And Gaiman's been stealing for years - when he was at the peak of his acclaim for creativity in the early to mid 90s he wasn't just reinterpreting classical stories but contemporary as well. He put practically the entire of Cancelled Comics Cavalcade into The Sandman, and I much preferred Coraline when it was called The Thief of Always and Clive Barker wrote it.

I also found out recently that Mark Millar has been using ghostwriters on a number of his Millarworld books without crediting them, including Kingsman: The Secret Service and Jupiter's Legacy, which were both written by Rob Williams from outlines by Millar. It seems to have mostly stopped now (possibly due to the Netflix deal), and Williams was given full author credit on Kingsman: The Red Diamond, but it's still disappointing. There's nothing wrong with splitting authorial credit between story and writer.

Lmbo that's why Jupiter's Legacy is good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ornamented Death posted:

This is not an uncommon occurrence in fiction, honestly. Lots of mid-list authors make decent money ghost-writing for other, more famous authors and never get any credit. The writers I've talked to that have done ghost-writing typically don't harbor any ill will towards the person on the other side of the transaction. It's mostly fans that seem to get upset.

It's lovely in comics when there's already books thAt are story by x written by y that do fine

I'm more likely to read those than a ghost written book with no actual writer credit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Soonmot posted:

Lol, holy poo poo, same. I've been skipping millarworld books because I have no desire to read millar

See I read things because I work at a shop and if it's there and so am I, whatever, and I thought he was just turning around

loving nope

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ryonguy posted:

I... thought he was stopping at 300. Like, that was his goal, to do the entire run, then stop and leave the story finished.

He did

This is a totally not a sequel

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Eddie has a son, and it turns out his goop boyfriend is super manipulative and abusive

It's really good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Did they lose their poo poo when Flash was Venom?

The issue about Flash being venom was really good because it was very deliberately framed as "we broke up, you saw someone else, we're together again, and I'm still kind of dealing with the fact that you miss him"

The whole run is fantastic because it is in fact the gayest comic

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dawgstar posted:

The rise of jumping straight to 'I HOPE YOU DIE' when two people don't smooch because fans have elaborately constructed reasons that exist only in their head that they should will never stop being weird. And, yeah, I know it happens in all media everywhere. A friend has stories about soap opera forums that would curl one's hair. Although the record lately was for Netflix's Voltron, where people insisted there was essentially a Snyder Cut where their ship DID happen.

Remember when Eddie himself gave it away because he saw The Passion and Mac Gargan was Scorpavenom for a while?

The Voltron thing is a whole other kettle of worms tho, because what happened there was people decided a character was gay, the show teased it, then they announced it was going to be official, and the characters partner was on screen for like two minutes and got murdered

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

I'm guessing, since I've never read gl, that that is not the cover evs did?

It's his art but his name's not there

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

90% sure this is the guy who got banned from Magic for life for organizing a harassment campaign that made a relatively big name cosplayer, who did a lot of publicity stuff for WotC, quit the game and the fandom forever,

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

He's writing on and off for DC and Marvel too. I think he's writing some Harley Quinn stuff at DC right now. And just had a Marvel one shot drop this week. I've never seen him have any ties to CG and the fact that he still gets work from both of the Big Two means that's probably right as they have both distanced themselves from anyone with any ties to CG.

He was doing old lady Harley, which wrapped up last week, I don't remember if he's doing the main book

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dreqqus posted:

Hambly has been a real piece of poo poo well longer than he's been internet famous for being one. I used to run in competitive MTG circles and he was one that organizers were told to keep an eye on.

Oh so he's Bertoncini part two, got it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

One of my friends said it best as f&f is a superhero franchise where the cars are the powers

But yeah the spin off is literally idris hads superpowers so they're just going full bore now

Mumble mumble I say it all the time

Those movies are incredible they started as point break but cars, did a brief detour through 80s ski lovie but cars, and now everyone is Thor and the cars are mjolnir

I fully expect the last movie to reveal this is actually a star wars prequel and the family are jedi and that's why they're so good at cars

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

I don't really agree. The only pre-Rock one I'd say isn't even really entertaining is 2F2F. Tokyo Drift is at least fun, if bad, and the first is an okay action movie, if of its time. F4 is good, though it's definitely a transitory movie into what the series becomes.

Tokyo Drift is flawless

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

The first ones doesn't seem to realize how silly they are and tries to be somewhat realistic. Then the Rock joins and they finally embrace the silliness and they becomes violent car-toons.

The third movie is literally an 80s sports movie with a winner gets the girl losers leaves town race down the mountain and is by the guy who made 4-6

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gynovore posted:

Wait what???

Mods/admins, can I get a confirmation on this?

It's because the payment poo poo is completely separate from the forums as a whole

And given the all volunteer staff, that's not a terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Someone once discussed their sexual assault survival story in a thread that was about that topic and someone else bought them a truly disgusting avatar and title that both made fun of them for it and accused them of only sharing it to "attention whore". I can only assume that person is still posting today.

That one turd in Gen Chat bought me one mocking another posters sexual assault, that was incredibly cool to find out about while I was at work because my email blew up with like ten PMs at once