Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Leftists think that people who don't agree with them on a given subject aren't leftists.

Centrists think that people who don't agree with them on a given subject aren't calm, rational or informed.

Rightists think that people who don't agree with them on a given subject aren't human.

Libertarians don't think.

Note the diminishing complexity of the chain of reasoning necessary to dismiss/process opposing views as you go down that list, too.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's not beefcake, it's hamburger helper in a ziploc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You, uh, just did for three posts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dear god, sinfest has gone places.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Today's (5/26/2019) comic is like something out of a Dees painting, only with (frustratingly) better color composition. How does someone get brainworms this bad?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Well, if we're linking this stuff, here's the one from today that had me making a dees comparison.

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2019-05-26

In all this discussion of misogynist comics psychos who are hilariously incompetent, it's worth remembering that there are also plently of people out there with a combination of talent and utter terminal brainworms.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I've had a lawyer said that they wish that I would pray about the matter and God would surely tell me that me and my client's positions were wrong. .

He's also a horribly incompetent lawyer! coincidence?

Edit- seriously though saying someone misquoted the bible in a defamation case is so goddamn irrelevant that I don't know where to begin.

Monaghan Could you write this up for the lawgoon thread? I’m confident they will enjoy it and I can’t do this shitshow justice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

if it was previous churning out botnoise and is now targeting responses on some hot issue, it's likely an account that's part of a botnet that is now being used for more active, human-tuned paid influence.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TheHan posted:

How does every right wing grift end in commemorative coins.

They're approached by a manufacturer who markets to right wing grifters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Stewart_(politician)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I wouldn't recommend seeing what those people say about anyone, for any purpose, unless it somehow contributes to shutting them down.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mark Gaid could top it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Squidster posted:

I once lived with a medic, a first responder, who so admired Tyler Durden that he started his own fight club. He saw an untamed alpha male and wanted to emulate him.

People are *real* bad at interpreting media. They take a handful of images out of all context and cling to it.

Fight Club was notorious even at the time of its release for appearing to want to profit from both sides of its interpretation. Ebert:

quote:

Of course, "Fight Club" itself does not advocate Durden's philosophy. It is a warning against it, I guess; one critic I like says it makes "a telling point about the bestial nature of man and what can happen when the numbing effects of day-to-day drudgery cause people to go a little crazy." I think it's the numbing effects of movies like this that cause people go to a little crazy. Although sophisticates will be able to rationalize the movie as an argument against the behavior it shows, my guess is that audience will like the behavior but not the argument. Certainly they'll buy tickets because they can see Pitt and Norton pounding on each other; a lot more people will leave this movie and get in fights than will leave it discussing Tyler Durden's moral philosophy. The images in movies like this argue for themselves, and it takes a lot of narration (or Narration) to argue against them.

I admired "The Game" much more than "Fight Club" because it was really about its theme, while the message in "Fight Club" is like bleeding scraps of Socially Redeeming Content thrown to the howling mob.

This is, and has been for a long time, a Thing People Do with produced media.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Splint Chesthair posted:

Just going on the whole Agent America thing, Rob understands IP law about as well as he understands podiatry.

:golfclap:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I personally wouldn't try to brag about inventing the manspread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oof, seeing the stormfront interface takes me back. They've updated things a bit, I have no idea how they still exist.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing some pseudo-mainstream far right organizations, not necessarily Breitbart but stuff like Breitbart, funnel money to them.

That would make sense, but I think it's sustained by the genuine donations of the slack-jawed, from profiles I've read more recently. The founders' son went to college, actually interacted with poc, gained humanity, and renounced his family, and the profiles of that sequence of events went into the marketing of the place a bit, iirc.

A long time ago I spent time lurking their forums, trying to draw relational maps and understand the ideology. It was a wasted effort- before the resurgence of white nationalist groups under obama, the people who self-selected for places like stormfront were unimaginably stupid- stupid beyond the point of comedy, way past even the entitled idiocies of gamergate and the alt-right. We're talking "actually forgets to breathe" territory.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah how could a Nazi forum exist in 2020?

It's more that they were so incompetent back in the day I'm amazed no one pressed the wrong button and accidentally the whole site.

Though I guess the SA parallel still applies there, too, lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

This is SA; thanks to Radium the site’s code features load-bearing racism.

Stormfront, SA, and groverhaus; three peas in a pod.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's not a good costume unless they look like they could fall asleep on a couch on a Sunday afternoon in it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Unfunnies is an excellent reason to seal Millar into a vault and throw away the key all on its own.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

At first I thought it was one of those cases where someone uses multiple photo references that don't match or aren't aligned to the final image, like the infamous Captain America, but I realized it would take at least 12 separate photo references to do that with the angles and curves and...shapes...happening there, so idk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Two bears high fiving.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Piell posted:

Speaking of "I have to want to gently caress her"
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1293544495578054657

I know I'm lacking the original source, but are we postive that Wonder Women 2020 one isn't a Liefeld parody? It's even got the feet cut off.

edit: ok no I reverse GIS'd and it's a muscle fetishist who can't draw feet who isn't Liefeld.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I can do some effort on fringe beliefs, cultures and conspiracy theories, sometime, when my current five effortpost projects are done

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Obligatory "cartoon network really likes that parody for some reason" link.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I struggle to believe the second one is real- a grocery bag with "tamales" written on it? was it a deliberate sabotage as protest? I can't imagine an editor going "yes, that is appropriate, ship it"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bruceski posted:

If they're not eating chimichangas how will we know they're hispanic?

It helpfully also says Mexico on the bag.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Him referring to it at the time as "legal issues" is interesting, I can't imagine it would be considered an infringement of the Camerena piece.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

what’s worse is that at least three more covers are just “superheroes with Mexican food”

https://twitter.com/travisbhill5/status/1563583215746830336?s=21&t=KQKRmCmN3EDL-Lgg7I9q4A

Oh, I understand the confusion. Hispanic Heritage Month was a last-second change-DC editorial thought until the week of that they were getting an extended promotional deal with Qdoba.

edit: seriously I think editorial must have for some reason mandated "you must include the character enjoying hispanic food"- there's no other way for me to read that set of covers.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 28, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The coffee if I recall correctly is a white label brand (it's when a brand allows you to buy their product and relabel it as your own) and the original company is considered quite 'woke'.

Small correction, white label usually means the manufacturer is the one doing relabeling on behalf of the client; they sell the labeling services on the product.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Opopanax posted:

Holy poo poo, Tom Lehrer is still alive!

And by all accounts as of a couple years back at least, in reasonable health and full control of his faculties (although if anything even more cynical than when he was active).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The specific burning pictures posts seem to be coming from the left based on the user profiles; I can't tell what the rationale is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There are methods of persuasion that can be effective but a lot depends on the particular situation and their prior view of you as an information source. I’ve got some old posts digging into the persuasion literature, I can dig em up next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I’ve been meaning to slog through that (not a podcast fan); the interplay between pseudoscience and other harms is like my whole thing.