Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not a mod but as I understand it mods can freely hand out sixers all they want but anything more than that has to be approved by an admin, I guess to keep someone from going power crazy and banning everyone in [INSERT SUBFORUM HERE].

In this instance, it's very safe to say that all the bans will be honored because the introduction post makes the rules and consequences very clear. So if rules one, two, or three are broken, an admin will almost certainly ratify the ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm going to be that guy and just point out that the TRPG industry is super lopsidded and has a TON of issues, like Zak S, and we actually have a thread, as many of you already know, to discuss its problems. It's just not as big as comics so "gate" movements can't gain momentum and less gets reported about it.

Like, I'm not trying to be a downer or an rear end in a top hat or whatever, but it feels a bit like we are glossing over some of the really bad poo poo that happens in that industry too. I used to be super into TRPG stuff (though I chilled on that) so I remember following the BS alot so it just seems weird to not recognize it to me. Like, when a harassment campaign was run against Funhaver studios, that posted here, where they outed the creator as a trans woman and harassed her into shutting down her business. And then the guy who organized it got a special thanks in D&D 5e (It's worth noting Mearls, the head of 5e, refuses to believe it happened, officially, and not that he knows and is okay with that, according to what he says).

It's also that a lot of the bad things in the TG industry are super isolated. Almost all businesses are sole proprietorship with no employees. Hell, I run one. So, there is less grounds for big, bad poo poo to happen. Though, it still does like with White Wolf and the sexual harassment guy (or was that Paizo?). Most of the b.s. happens in lovely game shops or lovely game tables or lovely game companies that think "rape is a joke" or the near constant "pay in exposure/paycheck got lost in the mail for reals" bullshit or from just the gross under-representation of non-white cis het people (like when that gay guy got harassed at the MtG tournament for having some gay fan art when lesbian fan art from het male players was considered fine).

Like, I just felt the need to say all that.

Edit: I think I may be mistaken about the vibe and spoke without thinking and now have made an rear end out of myself.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 17, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Chipped in $20.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's up to 57,000 in only 2 days. So it looks like Mark Waid is not going to have to pay a penny for this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mallratcal posted:

Baked Alaska was a master of self-ownage.

EVS just started a go fund me for Dickie. 28K raised so far with some idiot kicking in 10K.

It doesn't matter either way, really.

D&C is going to lose the case. The point of Mark Waid's GFM was to make it so MW wasn't hurt by the unavoidable legal costs of frivolous law suits.

D&C's GFM just takes money out of his fan's hands and burns it. Protects D&C too but leads to the same place: defeat.

In the end, comicsgate will fail like gamergate. The later had more traction. The question is just how long?

Covok
May 27, 2013

X-O posted:

I'm totally convinced that the EVS GodFundMe has gotten three legitimate donations of greater than $10,000. That definitely is a thing that is true.

Lol.

How little is it when you remove the 30,000?

Covok
May 27, 2013

mallratcal posted:

:rip: Dickie's Twitter.

Sadly his YouTube account lives on.

As he will soon find out, that can be recovered for court purposes. Also, it could be argued he was destroying evidence which means they could go further in the trial if they want to.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The comic book Reddit Discord is chatting about how comicgate is pretty much dead. They can't release jawbreakers because that could hurt their legal case. It also seems likely that they spent all their money on other things. Meyers has deleted his Twitter because it is a legal liability now. And apparently EVS quit.

So, all of them are no longer able to really advocate for their cause because of their own action and they are unemployable in the industry. So they're just going to sit and rot now. They might try to get back into the industry, but that will fail. They may try to make more kickstarter's but that's going to be problematic since they can never release their first one now. And iron sights is going to Forever taint them as being lovely at their job.

Apparently, the main leaders of comicsgate are hosed completely because of their own actions.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mallratcal posted:

Ain't it great?

Yeah. It's actually really great. Through no fault of anyone else, they completely hosed their entire movement. And hate movements like this need a leader because they're based on the presentation of strength. Movements of peace are a little easier to be done without a clear leader because they're such a prosperous future that you can point to. So the movements going to flounder and sputter and become disorganized. They're still going to be pieces of poo poo harassing people on the internet, but they're not going to be able to organize and they're going to slowly fall apart and they're just not going to be effective.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Americans in anime

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Four issues are out, three of which (1, 2 and 4?) are free on Kindle Unlimited but weirdly nowhere on Comixology at all.

I just read them, and they're pretty much what you'd expect, if you expected almost no time given to the Confederate Bikini Lady who was the centerpiece of the promotional campaign, and a lot more about some poor misunderstood handsome nationalists getting oppressed by a UN-Backed Evil Justice League in league with ANTIFA.

https://twitter.com/kennybloggins/status/1062241503635013633

Like to point out that they still say that anti-fascists defeated the Nazis. But they say that like it's a bad thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I totally said "so you're going to go to Japan to gently caress a 13 year old?" to someone going on about this. There was a guy posted in an PYF AUG thread years ago that posted about how they were "more into 3 year olds now" and a bunch of cooped LGQBT slogans posted over drawn pictures of adult men and young girls on his blog about being a teacher in Japan and then suddenly, he was fired and deported because of that.

I'd like to take this moment to explain how age of consent works in Japan.

13 is the age of consent, but that's just the cutoff point where all actions are illegal. You see, anyone under the age of 20 in Japan is considered a juvenile. As such, they cannot consent to whatever the prefecture defines as obscene or immoral Behavior. Some prefectures only define penetration as obscene or immoral. Some prefectures define holding hands and walking together as obscene or immoral. And this applies to anyone under the age of 20, even if it's with someone else who is under the age of 20. So, someone who is 15 who is dating someone who is 15 can get in trouble for holding hands in some very conservative prefectures, on paper. That never happens, of course, it's just a technicality that no one acts on.

Furthermore, parents rights are actually considered as well. If two people under the age of 20 get married without their parents approval, they can actually get in trouble for obducting each other, though usually only the man is ever prosecuted. The punishment is 5 years forced labor.

It's actually very complicated, but at the same time isn't. Just like in America, there are weird technicalities like this as well, but if you're both within a reasonable age bracket while a minor it's usually not a problem. So, like how no one bats an eye at a 15 year old and a 16 year old dating. A lot of this is only law on paper and usually only enforced if a police officer is feeling like being a dick. Because even prefectures that have very strict laws on immoral Behavior have tiers to them so that hand holding is a slap on the wrist while penetration is actually a big deal and, if everyone's relatively within the same age, charges are usually dissmissed if they're even brought up. Of course, I'm assuming everything is consensual.

The point is, yes age of consent is 13 in Japan, but if you are over 20 and you try to do anything sexual with someone under 20, you will get in trouble.

So, if some weabo pedophile is trying to defend himself by saying it's culture, you can explain this to them and watch as they ignore you and continue to be disgusting piece of poo poo as your faith in humanity and diplomacy dwindles.

Tl;dr Yes, the age of consent in Japan is 13, but it's illegal to have sex with anyone under the age of 20.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 13, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

What is with So-Called Allies and them feeling entitled to the love and/or respect of the people they are supposedly defending?

It's even worse in the LGBT+ comunity, especially for trans people. Once, I mentioned on a LGBT+ discord that I question my gender identity and not-to-long after got a PM from an "ally" asking if I was a "trap" and showing me his penis.

It's uncomfortable, to say the least. I think some of it is that people have internalized the narrative of the racist ideology called "the white man's burden" that we are just supposed to be so happy that "a superior person" has decided to help us, since we clearly can't help ourselves, that we clearly should shower them in praise like its loving Dances With Wolves/Last Samurai/Avatar/Ferngully.

Don't get me wrong: it's not just white people or men or het or cis or etc., I'm just referencing the name of the ideology and the idea it comes from perceived superiority.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Archyduke posted:

I really, desperately hope that "trap" is the next atrocious nerd-culture term that gets rightly recognized as enormously lovely. Well, I mean, that's selfish, objectively if either that or the "reee" thing died first I'd be happy either way.

Edit: I hope that doesn't read as a call-out of Covok in particular. I'm sorry that you ran into that kind of shittiness in what should have been a much better space.

Not at all. I wasn't approving of the term. I was putting it in quote fingers because I didn't want it to be thought of to be my own words. I don't approve of the term either.

Covok
May 27, 2013

As Rian Johnson put it recently:

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1020552165683691520?s=20

Now, Rian is a white cishet male so he's talking from privelage, but I share it to remind us that groups like comicsgate are small in number. They're aren't a wave or army, they're the same small group of jerks. They're jerks who make money on being jerks. So, of course they'll use any excuse to come back, but they're numbers are exagerrated. I doubt any of these guys who claim they left actually left. This is an excuse to get attention and intimdate.

Make no mistake, CG is dying without leadership. We should be vigiliant and continue telling Nazis to fuckoff, but we shouldn't view this as some resurgence. This is like giving advil to a corpse: it ain't fixing poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

I am just shocked that NY's permit system was exploited to only let the rich and connected get guns.

You forgot the /sarcasm.

Also, to be honest, it is actually pretty easy to get a gun in New York. You just have to go to your local municipality and fill out some paperwork and pay a small fee. Sometimes they require you to take a safety course, but if you have a clean criminal record they don't scrutnize you too much. They probably should though. It's simply too easy to get one and that means a lot of people who shouldn't are getting them.

Covok fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 17, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, Bill Maher said "only in a nation where adults read comics could Trump be elected" as response to Stan Lee's death.

This summaries my feelings:
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/1063823975434866688?s=20

Covok
May 27, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

Maher has 3 huge hate ons and 2 lesser. Catholicism which he grew up in, much of Islam of the Saudia Arabia/Taliban style, and milk because some woo bullshit gmo its for cow babies not people. The whole snooty rear end entertainment for adults may be his fourth nonsense hang up. 5 is college kids being pussies and that whole snowflake thing because being challenged is good.

Again why milk bad but weed good? Hypocrisy.

He sounds like a poo poo conservative to me. Like, I know you brought up the Catholic thing to try to be the one point against just thinking he was a conservative, but there are a lot of conservatives that hate Catholics because that's still a thing in America. Now, if you want to bring up the fact he was an atheist, then you might have a bit more of a point but there are still a lot of libertarian shithead conservatives who are atheist. It's pretty much separate from all the poo poo that actually makes conservative bad. What religion is practiced in America does not help the situation, we can all agree that being a shity conservative it's not wholly dependent of your religious beliefs.

I sort of ramble there, but it sounds like Bill Maher is just a loving conservative was what I was trying to say.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

New Atheism is entirely made up of neo-reactionaries and was one of the pillars of online toxic thought from which the alt-right emerged. Bill Maher is a perfect example of that kind of dipshit: perfectly willing to criticize organized religion, but then goes on to decide that religion itself is a sign of stupidity and weakness, and therefore any nation or culture more devout than his own is inferior and evil.

Now I have a name for it. New atheism. That's those assholes. Now I can insult them without having to insult an entire religious group.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also apparently does not believe in germ theory

How can you not believe in germ theory? What is literally the alternative? Little gremlins living in your blood making you sick at irregular internals to reach a sickness quota to appease Nurgle, God of chaos, decay, and disease?

Covok
May 27, 2013

FMguru posted:

Foul miasmas and imbalances of the four humours.

I would hate to be his doctor.

quote:

Maher is also the last man alive who thinks hanging out at the Playboy Mansion is a cool and awesome thing to do (and not seedy or creepy).

I mean, it is creepy but he's hardly the last man alive who thinks its cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Holy loving poo poo. Even children understand germ theory.

Holy gently caress.

This isn't skeptiscm, it's the inability to be a functional adult.

We can literally SEE germs under a microscope and literallt SEE them attacking healthy cells.

Holy poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/11/21/bill-maher-response-stan-lee-death/

"But talk about making my point for me: Yeah, I don't know very much about Stan Lee and it certainly wasn't a swipe at Stan Lee. Yeah, fine. I am agnostic on Stan Lee,” Maher said. “I don't read comic books. I didn't even read them when I was a child. What I was saying is, a culture that thinks that comic books and comic book movies are profound meditations on the human condition is a dumb f**king culture. And for people to get mad at that just proves my point."

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Noodle Incident posted:

Adults reading comic books are the reason Trump is president, says man who put Ann Coulter and Milo Yiannapoulos on TV.

"B-but I hate Trump. I sued him once! I only shook the devil's hand and helped put out the redcarpet for him with ratings! I only tried to legitimize Nazi beliefs because I know the truth is in the middle. I am the good guy and the fact you hate me means you're stupid and wrong and dumb, like germ theory. I am a progressive! Ignore the fact I used to be a libertarian, which means I was a right wing poo poo head. Also ignore I changed none of my beliefs, just realized liberals like me so I became one!"

You know, only make it more annoying and smarmy with things like "So, I'm an agnostic on stopping Nazis" and "listen, even if they want to kill all non-whites, I'm white so I'm not afraid to give them a platform: we can't keep them from making money; we're capitalists first and humans second."

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1065239289561145344?s=20

"Comics are too political!"

*reads heavy metal comic*

"Why aren't they fighting Islamic terroists?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Decius posted:

Yes, deleting videos removes the views of those videos.

Wow, he continues loving himself up. First off, they're Clips everywhere on the internet of those videos. So deleting the videos is not going to help his case. But, furthermore, he's deleting evidence. Which is a crime. Even in a civil case, it is a federal criminal offense to delete evidence. And since everything is digital we all know that he's doing it. He's actually getting himself into deeper legal trouble.

I'm just glad it's happening to a shitbird. So that I don't have to feel bad for his stupid rear end.

Be Nazi, Get hosed Up, Get The gently caress Out, gently caress Nazis.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

Misgendering, dead naming, and spreading fear about protected groups are all now against Twitters rules. So get ready for some huge Twitter purges from CG dudes.

At the risk of being a cynic, do you actually expect Twitter, a right wing hate site, to do anything just because they put a fig leaf over their hitler stache?

Covok
May 27, 2013

CynicalThundercunt posted:

Now hold on there, what the gently caress? I vehemently disagree with Bill Maher and I honestly feel like punching him in the nuts every time I hear about him (but would never), but no beliefs should be able to "disqualify" anyone from starting any conversation or saying anything. That's hosed up and slowly drifting into fascist territory if we're "disqualifying" people from having a voice because they disagree with us.

Besides the antivaxxer part. He deserves to be punched for that one. Still shouldn't exclude him from having a voice, but...

I don't know. I'm not defending his views, beliefs or statement but even if I hate the man with a passion and hate everything he says I firmly believe in his right to say all those things I hate vehemently.

Listening to conspiracy theories, anti-science, bigotry, etc. is a waste of time, distracts us from what's true, and allows empassioned idiots to spread lies.

A sad reality is truth does NOT win out. It will ALWAYS lose to a comforting lie. This is how we got anti-vaxxing as a movement, the entire American government denying the ACCEPTED SCIENTIFIC FACT of climate change, and Donald Trump as President. If you wish to preserve truth you must be willing to accept that some dumbasses don't deserve a platform and don't deserve your time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CynicalThundercunt posted:

Sorry for believing that every single person on this planet deserves to be able to speak their mind, regardless of their ideals, unless it's truly harmful (anti vax, extremely dangerous "alternative medicine", crossing the line from being a racist oval office to advocating for murder, etc). If you don't give them a platform, you not only prove the conspiracy theorists right (edit for clarification: in their minds and the minds of the readers), you also give more fuel to the fire. "Look! They don't want us spreading the truth! REEE CENSORSHIP!!!!"

I'd also say listening to conspiracy theories isn't always a waste of time; a lot of the stuff we know today about the Trump administration would have been brushed off as a "conspiracy theory" at one point. Usually you can tell instantly when one is bullshit, and when one is reasonably plausible. If anything, you don't have to listen to them, but people should be able to say them.

What do you contend is the best way to stop these harmful crimes of thought?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Space Fish posted:

It brings me no joy to report that EVS co-created Jessica Cruz.

As much as my waifu Jessica Cruz is awesome, it does make a lot of sense when you consider that she is from Texas and is big into hunting and has a lot of those habits that really just line up with some conservative writing her.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, did anyone join comicgate and not ruin their entire comic career?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Like do they not know that mythological Loki became a lady horse and made horse babies?

You can't mention the story where Loki hosed a horse and not mention the full context. Low-key tried to gently caress over the working class bye agreeing to let a man work on the wall of asgore knowing that he couldn't succeed. The bourgeoisie Loki however found out that he could complete the wall on his own. Odin had promised the Sun and the Moon and Freya's hand. Everyone pretty much hinted that they were going to rip Loki limb from limb and then feed him to boars over this because it was all his idea and he said to promise those things. The bourgeoisie Loki then decided to sabotage the working class by stealing his horse by seducing it. And then when this led to the man failing, Thor hammer of crony capitalism murdered a man because he was a giant and they are racially discriminated against in Asgard.

The bourgeoisie Loki vanished for 9 months and then reappeared with a baby horse that he gave to Odin. Which is strange because I don't think horses gestation is 9 months. And then that became the mightiest steed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sadly but unsurprisingly Zoe Quinn's comic has been review bombed to 0 on comixology. Good job gamer/comicgate chuds owning her by... buying her comic?

https://www.comixology.com/Goddess-Mode-2018-1/digital-comic/730993?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvbGlzdDI3OTQ3

When I open the app, I actually saw four and a half stars out of five. And then no ratings when I actually open the file. So I think they are aware it's being review bombed and disallowed some of the negative reviews.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Antarctic Press, yeah. The kicker is AP said that Waid applied no pressure (not that he had pressure to apply anyway) and decided not to do it on their own and you can find them saying that.

And yeah Dick Meyers still sued. That's where the money went, most likely. Covering his legal expenses.

It pleases me to no end that the MAKE COMICS CISHETWHITE AGAIN people will only have Ironsights to read, with two failed (Jawbreakers, Alt-Hero) projects to their name.

Mmm, yes, such amazing proof of how GREAT their comics are.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What the gently caress is this strategy? The way Star Wars works is if you buy a bunch of the toys they are going to make a thousand comics about the character. So I guess we should all look forward to Rose's solo series which, could work because a radical anti-capitalist would actually be kind of interesting for Star Wars.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Fortunately CG have pooped themselves to such a degree even if an artist shared their views they would be likely to keep it under wraps because they enjoy making consistent money from actual comic companies instead of hoping for six figures from an IndieGoGo. Thus their big gun remains EVS, whose work reminds me of those mid-90's Image house artists.

...when he ever decides to work, of course. Because, right now, his work reminds me of a blank canvas.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mallratcal posted:

Here's the dude who ate the comic.

https://twitter.com/RealBebub/status/1093693275490435073

His "art" is slightly better than the Sigil Comics guys.

IUG posted:

I hope that guy ate the staples too.

Tearing open my Pharynx to own the libs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Three IGGs to "own the libs." What happens to Ethan when his wingnut welfare runs out and his so radioactive that no one will take him?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Haven't been able to find one.

Blackface Lawyer has been all over it, though.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1110196921082236928

I wonder if "I know SECRETS" works in a court of law.

So, he realizes only the convention could sue on breach of contract. Random joe schmo can't do sue over that, only the parties of thr contract. If the other party chooses not to pursue action during a breach, then its considered an amendment until a party involved in the contract chooses to sue. And letting it happen before suing can ruin your case, if you were aware of the breach and did nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

The organizers are dumb as hell. They caved and reinvited a sex predator to their con when probably 95% of the people giving them grief about it were out of state CHUDs who were never planning to go and still aren't, and burnt any good will they had.

But, and listen to me here, *ahem* both sides~

Nah, but, really, this was a big boner of a move, in both the old and new sense of the word. You reinvited a child predator, dinguses! To a con about a kid show!