Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Something I think is interesting is comparing Comicsgate and Gamergate to the attempts in the last year or so to get a Tabletopgate going.

Tabletop gaming absolutely has a problem with lovely nerds, serial harassers, and bigots but any attempt to try and get an organized movement going like CG and GG has been immediately stamped out by people in the TRPG online community. The audience is theoretically there and god knows there's been issues lately (the new White Wolf being ran by a fascist, the large portion of WH40k fandom unironically into the Imperium's ideology, sexual harassment at Pathfinder Society events), but the community as a whole wasn't having it. Hell the last attempt to make a D&DGate hashtag was immediately hijacked by people talking about their favorite gates from fantasy artwork.

And I feel like a lot of that has to do with the general reaction to Gamergate and Comicsgate which was "ignore them and they'll go away". They didn't. It just emboldened them to be louder and worse and websites started reporting them like they're a valid movement - see Bleeding Cool's incredibly soft-handed approach to EVS about a year before everything blew up - and not people to be told to immediately shut the gently caress up.

Basically I think it's up to people in nerd communities to clean their own house, and comics were pretty loving bad about it. Now we've got this. And this isn't forever. The energy will always taper off or go to other places (just hopefully not "ruining the rest of the world" like GG did) but it should make people be more vigilant from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pretty sure EVS never wrote her

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Dixon always sucked, we just didn't know to read between the lines back then

hell Stephanie Brown's whole teen pregnancy arc is basically a lecture on the dangers of pre-marital sex followed by her carrying the child to term because abortions are evil

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there's a lot of people in comics circles kieran is no longer friends with for undisclosed reasons

a pattern sort of starts to form after a while!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Agent_grey posted:

I'm curious, which ones?

How many of the old Comicsalliance folks follow Kieran on twitter or interact with him in any way, or did so and then suddenly stopped around 2016?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the gently caress

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Green Lantern, by Geoff Johns and Original Artist

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Aren't there two Christopher Priests in comics? Are we sure this is the good one?

yeah, it's the Black Panther one

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
can 100% see why they decided not to do that since it's very hard not to end up reducing any character Spider-Man dates to "Spider-Man's girlfriend"

If you want a superheroine to have a long-term successful solo career that stands out in the public consciousness you absolutely don't want their wagon hitched to a bigger-name character

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will never not be surprised at the chunk of the internet that has 100% convinced themselves they're lawyers and will argue with real, actual lawyers about laws they know nothing about

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a lot of valid criticism to give some of Sarkeesian's lameass Feminism 101-esque takes but anyone who still "hates" her in 2019 is probably a shithead yeah

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf American Alien came out and finished before women started openly coming out about him being a shitbag

At that point the worst thing he had done was write a bad Shocker fanfic

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endless Mike posted:

lmao no it wasn't. By 2016, he was calling Force Awakens "Mary Sui fanfic" and had a pretty misogynistic interview. And that's just stuff on record. There was also at least one report of him being a PUA dickbag at MorrisonCon back when that happened.

Oh, well then!

Then I guess it was just me not personally being aware of that at the time, then. I retract my post.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nessus posted:

What are you gonna do, try to locate talent that isn't deeply enmeshed in your little fart-smelling bullpen?

Okay look Cebulski deserves all the dunking he gets for the Akira Yoshida thing and absolutely should never have been made editor in chief are you loving kidding me but he actually did do this. Most of the non-established Marvel or DC talent brought in under Quesada's and Alonso's run as EiC was his work.

I am not in any way defending the man but let's not just ignore reality here for sick dunks.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 30, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Covok posted:

Maybe someone can enlighten me, how can someone pretend to be a different race for so long? I know we got some comic writers here who have worked with Marvel. Don't they see you at all at any point. Is it really all done through e-mail? Because that sounds horribly soulless and draining.

I imagine it's different now with video calls being a thing but the Yoshida stuff was about a decade or so ago where you didn't have much of a choice to interact with someone other than calls or emails. Most writers or artists don't actually live in New York, after all.

Cebulski also used his position as a talent scout to pose as the "intermediary" between him and Yoshida, so it's not like there was ever a reason for people to ask to meet the guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Maybe there should be a Vic thread in ADTRW? It'd have to have the exact same rules as this one, though, because there's a surprising number of weird chuds there.

He's come up a few times in the Dragonball thread to a general chorus of "wow what a piece of poo poo"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm beginning to worry this thread is starting the slow descent you saw with grognards.txt and the like where stuff that isn't actually that bad gets posted and the threshold for what's worth talking about just gets lower and lower until we're eating each other alive

(Which to be clear is not me saying "close down the thread" it's really good to have a place to talk about/make people aware of this poo poo just also we need to think about what we're posting.)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 29, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

i would be more worried about it if there wasnt literally 20 pages of posts about a guy who doesnt even work in comics in this thread

this is also A Good Point

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
*leans into the mic*

nice meltdown

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, somebody getting bent out of shape for someone pointing out they're being kinda lame for printing in a horrible country is a p good meltdown.

I honestly don't know how else to describe the action of continuing to double down and defend yourself in a thread where everyone either A. disagrees with you or B. doesn't care at all

You're not actually accomplishing anything with these posts except making yourself look like a ranting dumbass.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Archyduchess posted:

No, it's by Kami Garcia, who I guess mostly writes YA novels. I don't know anything about her but I checked out an interview she did about this book and it was pretty gross.

Yeah the Sejic book is Harleen, not Joker/Harley. Harleen seems to be going with the "Joker is not crazy, at least in any way that modern medical science can diagnose" route.

Yes there's two Black Label books about the same basic premise coming out at the same time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Being mad someone posted a video of an animal getting murdered" would be the first relatable reaction from Comicsgate if, you know, it wasn't for the reason they're mad having nothing to do with an animal getting murdered

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've always felt like insisting it's a net positive if a bad person does a good thing for the wrong reasons seems like a great way to just completely eliminate any sense of nuance from your world view.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"I honor your pain" gently caress offfffff

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Trying to dodge culpability for doing or writing bad things by listing all the good things you've done like all things are equal and just tallies on a Morality Scoreboard where you're fine as long as you get more marks in the Good column is uh

not a good defense or something I would presenting as such

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's not really a joke worth getting defensive over.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've said this before but go back and read some of Dixon's work now it's impossible not to notice what his politics are

Stephanie Brown's entire character arc was basically a pro-lifer fantasy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As mentioned Loki's been established as genderfluid for years. We don't have to settle for loving Snowflake.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Xavin is a great case study in how not to write a nonbinary character, and that's even considering before Whedon run's "oh you defaulted to a girl shape you're a girl now" bullshit. She (and I'm going to use she because I'm pretty sure they never use any pronoun except whatever gender Xavin is presenting as at the moment) actually kind of sucks hard.

Also yeah Mystique has never been presented as nonbinary.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 25, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

What was wrong with Xavin pre-Whedon? Whedon's whole "the girl form is the real form now!" bullshit was bullshit, but it was bullshit specifically because of how much it contradicted Xavin's earlier "sometimes I'm a girl and sometimes I'm not and that's just how it is" characterization.

- There's absolutely no attempt to make being nonbinary a part of the character's identity. It gets stated like a matter of fact that Skrulls are all genderfluid (something that has never been true before or since) which lets them make it be completely separate from the character by just handwaving it as a Weird Alien Thing.

- The whole relationship is spent with Karolina convinced Xavin is actually totally a woman, and actively grossed out when Xavin takes on a male form. This is never examined or called out as hosed up.

- Xavin herself is super loving boring outside of having a cool power set.

- She very clearly exists to have Karolina pair off with someone and not many other reasons. You could remove her from pretty much every storyline and nothing would really change.

Like, just sayin', there's a reason she got put on a spaceship and then never seen or mentioned again while the TV show version of her was basically made into an entirely different character

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 25, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Why not just...keep making comic books...and release them digitally...?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

A bunch of people won't make the switch to digital and another bunch of people just lost their job so even if they would have made the switch they're probably cutting their expenses and comic books are a bit of a luxury expense. You have a lot of people with a poo poo ton of free time but not a lot of discretionary spending, 3 comics costs the same as a month of Netflix.

So instead every freelancer gets to be out of a job too

cool

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

It's probably on a per-license basis? Maybe they can pull the agreement completely, maybe they can just pull the creative team, etc.

Didn't Sega just toss Penders but let the contract run out under other leadership, for example?

But yeah, this is a pretty big ball of inertia Dynamite has picked up CG is pitchforking and everyone else is just keeping clear of the mess as much as they can.

Sega didn't fire anyone. Penders quit. Sega basically didn't give a gently caress what Archie did until after he was gone (at which point they started adding a lot of weird mandates but that's neither here nor there)

Anyway it's possible they don't have any control over this.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 20, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Considering the dude wrote the the Eltingville Club that's pleasantly unsurprising

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think being buddies with loving Weev puts you past the rankings of being "a character" into outright sucking

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The "Cyborg sucks" sentiment that always seems to come up around these conversations has never not weirded me out

Maybe that's because the idea that there's something inherently wrong with a comic book character that prevents a good story being written about them really sticks in my craw

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think you are simultaneously overestimating how many people liked John Stewart in JL/JLU and underestimating how many people like Cyborg in Teen Titans and how many people like Hal Jordan as Green Lantern.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

most of the griping about Cyborg I see from people who aren't blatantly loving terrible is, very specifically, "what the gently caress, where's John Stewart?" and it's practically a meme that Johns is the world's only Hal Jordan fan.

e: yep, nailed it in one, pretty much

A meme isn't a reflection of reality. If people didn't like Hal Jordan that book probably wouldn't have been DC's best selling title for years.

Also not gonna lie a lot of my beef here is that I don't like how Comic John Stewart was completely rewritten from anti-authority rebel who was willing to call people out to being more like the DCAU's boring-rear end army guy who shoots things with lasers concept.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

howe_sam posted:

I don't know why, but i just don't like that A>E thing on an aesthetic level. I think maybe because it feels like something either a Randian or Q-adjacent person would say?

Yeah I don't like people just blindly parroting, especially while doing something while yelling at a woman to air out other people's dirty laundry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vince MechMahon posted:

We don't really know yet, everything we have is pretty vague.

I don't think this is ever going to go anywhere if there aren't some specifics from someone. "He was abusive" is in and of itself sufficiently vague enough that people can write it off, much as WB already has. Lots of people in Hollywood are hard-to-work-with assholes.