Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What about my question about HHS' trans de-recognition thing? I think it might be a good subject to discuss. Glad to be here you nerd.

Also all weed is good weed for videogames. Fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Prester Jane posted:

Also a clarification on how I view my own work, I label myself an "Outsider Theorist". In that my theories have largely been formed in complete ignorance of the academic world as well as coming at the same problem of human behavior from a very different angle. It is my goal to make my work as interesting, internally consistent, and formally structured as possible.

That said I fully recognize that because of my illness there will always be problems in my work and it will never truly be "correct". It is my belief that the full value of my work cna only be realized by formally trained academics using it as a springboard to create something better- bringing my ideas "Inside" if you will. In essence I believe that if I am truly on to something with all this then someday my work will leave my hands and its growth/direction taken over by formally trained scientists.

So it is my intent to never attempt to create a formal scientific theory so much as to create a novel conceptual framework that an actual scientist could use to create a formal scientific theory. I accept and acknowledge the limitations that places on my work- but I also believe this the best way for me personally to develop this project.

If you start drawing prepubescent butterfly children being eaten to explain the EU I think the right term would be "Outsider Theorist." Your work is out there, and it isn't given the full analysis it would have if you were some 18th century Rich White Dude, but I'm not sure if isolating your position as one inherently outside any acceptance of cultural norms we practice. Not in the weird quasi-smug Willie Tomg way, just that you are just as much a person of your day and place as any other nerd online. We're always already inside the system, as a drunk gender studies grad would say.

e: also I'm already loving this new forum.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Willie Tomg posted:

once upon a time i was a self-educated hard and scrappy teen who hosed up a college path, then un-hosed it, because in bumfuck Nowheresville, Vermont, i was the smartest and hardest working dude in the room which isn't that hard to do really now that i've had over a decade of context about the matter. one of the Notions i prided myself on was this thing i thought up while on a shitload of psychedelic mushrooms i grew one autumn; where like cells formed a constituent Body, so too did human beings constitute organs constituting a greater social organism. all within my peer group of loving idiots thought this was no less than pure brilliance.

anyway, in my second week of college my intro sociology class began discussing Durkheim and Functionalism, and well, :blush:

Coming up with a neat idea second doesn't mean you didn't come up with a neat idea. Plus now you can read about the subject and, using the unique way you came to the idea (different time, way, and person) to expand it or provide another way of looking at the idea.

As a kid I came up with a bunch of ideas that people kept stealing retroactively. Being sad about it doesn't do anything, so make it your idea using the last person to make it theirs as a background. :h:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Halloween Jack posted:

"The theory applies to political behaviour, but it's not limited to that!" I knew that would be the first response. But we're pretty much only talking about political behaviour.

All behavior is political.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Prester Jane posted:

Someone who assumes that they are a hero with an important destiny and that their actions are going to change the world- therefore they never really much contemplated what would happen if their plan either went awry or completely failed.

Also pipe bombs aren't the most complicated thing in the world to construct, many years back I knew a couple of beers swilling rednecks who had a hobby of constructing pipe bombs and setting them off on their back woods property.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mmfa/sta...genumber%3D5829

It's getting really really really obvious just how blatantly fascist the NRA is becoming.

wait, sorry, throwing boulders? Geeze, the antifa supersolider program is going well.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dead Beef posted:

Hello thread,
What do you guys think about this:
Body odour disgust sensitivity predicts authoritarian attitudes

Authoritarians exploit unconscious feelings of disgust, something which we evolved to protect ourselves from disease.

Ethnic "purity"
Cultural "purity"
Moral "purity"
Does this language exploit an evolutionary defense mechanism?
A desire to cleanse impurities (eg: "drain the swamp", emphasizing traditional values, deporting immigrants, committing genocide, etc)
A desire to be protected from infection (eg: "build the wall", strengthening the military, isolationism)

Authoritarians have a heightened fear of being infected or contaminated, and if they feel infected then they want to be purified/cleansed.
They frame many issues in a way that exploits this particular fear. For instance Islam is often described like a disease which is spreading. They often make claims about the moral decay of society, do they mean to say that society is diseased? Foreigners and minorities are depicted as dirty, both literally and symbolically. Foreign ideas and culture are contaminants. Outsider mores will infect our society and lead to various kinds of sickness. The authoritarian believes a "deep state" has infiltrated their government and infected their country. The authoritarian believes the media is a vector of disease, the media spreads what they unconsciously feel is a threat to their social or cultural (or even racial) hygiene. Authoritarians flock to leaders who relieve their anxiety by promising to protect their borders, build a stronger military, return to traditional values and greatness, and cast out the foreign bodies (and ideas) that infect us.

I think authoritarians choose language which trigger feelings of disgust to gain power. I think you can make a person more sympathetic to authoritarianism by showing them disgusting images or alluding to other disgust-provoking ideas. I think an authoritarian is one who has become obsessed with ethnic, cultural, and/or moral hygiene. The authoritarian has a strong desire for "purity" which might stem from an evolutionary aversion to disease.

Just some things I think, feel free to disregard or disagree, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert here, I'm just an observer.

I'm a degenerate, cheap-pizza eating motherfucker with a history of licking doorknobs*, and I'm pretty solidly libertarian (classical sense, not ancaps). I'm also anal repulsive, if you want to follow in your psychobabble roots.

*not a joke i was weird

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

PJ, I like ya, but I think you might've internalized a lot of ableist nonsense. Like, you're clearly a smart person, with access to the web and a pack of (quasi)-academics. I know this isn't your entire life, but I think you're using your condition as a reason to not develop your thinking. And, y'know, you know your life and overall energy infinitely better than I do, but I hope you know there's someone out there who thinks you can go beyond internet shitposting and use your work constructively. :)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Prester Jane posted:

Can I request that we table this particular discussion until after I've posted my big effort post about Structuralists and Integrators?

It's not that I'm trying to resist developing my thinking or improving or that I'm not reading the things people are suggesting to me, I just want to get the rough draft of these ideas down first at this point in time. My big goal right now is just to get a pencil outline down and build from there.

You have to understand how my mind works and give me some allowances for that, I'm trying to move beyond internet shitposting but I need to get this all down first before I can do that.

Can't argue with that. Good luck with your writing, you do good stuff and I'm glad I get to read it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm in! BOOKS!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

everythingisfine.jpg

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Does the guillotine man who executes all men in town execute himself?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

10 print "MAGA"
20 goto 10

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

R. Dieovich posted:

no, i definitely think this theory is a dead end and moves people away from truly liberatory frames of thinking. but that has nothing to do with probations given for kale-style narcissism and we've discussed this ad nauseum over pms.

You're pretty consistently a massive idiot and a terrible mod. Piss off with this third rate political analysis, you sound like a 19 year old who just read the communist manifesto for the first time.

A theory's value comes in explaining, predicting, and modifying it's topic. And I've seen her work do just that. It's pretty clear we don't want you here, stop harassing PJ.

Go make another thread, and blow us away with your brilliance. I'm sure your brilliant ~framework~ will blow us all away and bring about the revolution, just like every other douchebag leftist who can't get over his own farts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

R. Dieovich's Dad: "ugh who the gently caress is this Pete Seeger guy, just making music for rubes, lol long live comrade stalin!!"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if you're going to take this weird persecution complex to cspam and cry this much over perfectly valid criticism and a day probe I'm just going to close the thread or move it to d&d, which fits it a lot better tbh

He literally followed her into the new thread just to be a dick to her. His comments were entirely nonconstructive, and probed me for mocking him. (I've been more of an rear end in a top hat to mods and gotten away with it before, just because RD is bad at taking criticism doesn't mean a 24h probe was right. But it doesn't really matter now, no?) Make me a IK or whatever, but moving a productive thread to a forum where the mods harass the OP is silly. This has been a lovely conversation, until RD showed up; why not remove the person who's actually the problem?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

how the gently caress is this harassment lol

unless you think correctly pointing out how fundamentally stupid all this is counts as harassment

"I fail to understand how this would be harassment (given my knowledge and social position)" and "this is not harassment (for someone else)" are not equal. But screw it, I'm done discussing this. Reality is subjective and there's no truth and we all die alone yadda yadda.

Also I post more in D&D and BYOB than I do PYF.

PS. I'll be reading along, already started on chapter 1.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

John Oliver, despite being a first-grade leftist, recently did a video on the right's dehumanization of migrants. I thought this might show a sign that the Left overall is beginning to see the sheer danger and risk of Narrativism as a whole, at least the part that watches comedians for guidance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVX1z6tDGI

(bite me, I have a lot of free time.)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

call center manager posted:

I'll try for the latter.

Hallmarks of distinctly non-Narrativist behaviour

• Tolerance of dissent
  • Metacognition and metareflection on the self
  • Quick social adaptation to new contexts
  • Openness to intellectually challenging or stimulating ideas
  • Aversion of conflict, preference to de-escalate
  • Ideal of proportionality in responding to threats
  • No recognition of one ultimate authority in life that governs all norms and behaviour

Thanks, I'll start reading tomorrow.

Sounds like "how to know you're not a fascist" 101.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

With R. Dickovitch having banned the OP, any thoughts on the rise of the mad as hell left, folks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWxsT-Srdto

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Willie Tomg posted:

Dave Neiwert has been tracking this since the 90's. And didn't even need to make an internal alphabet to do it.

Is your gimmick just posting "NUH UH I READ BOOKS" every thread?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is watching gamer videos this thread's (obvious cult obviously) version of drinking the Jonestown flavoraide? I can't wait for someone to tell us this yet again and how little they care, actually.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So Trump is calling himself the chosen one now, how hosed are we all scale of 10 to 10

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Oh word, we just have to do a revolution against the state? Nobody ever mentioned it. Thank you for your wise advice, O internet-brained Willie Tomg.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hey guys have you heard of this Marx character????? woah mind blown man thanks for the insight. somehow ive never heard of him here on this dead gay /leftypol/ - and that's not a compliment

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

LordSaturn posted:

so why does willy get this and jane gets probed

Transphobia, and stupid D&D drama.

Prove me wrong.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

transphobia lmao what the gently caress are you talking about

I mean, you've been harassing a trans woman for how long now? Your reasoning doesn't explain why you are still here, and so invested in coming back. (CC: Willie Tomg) The reason people are whining is because you keep probing Jane and making GBS threads up the thread telling us to read Marx. It's CSPAM. We've all read Marx, or at least watched enough youtube videos stoned like non-nerds. How long do we have to tell you until you realize that you might have a problem with the person, not the ideas?

I'm sure you have plenty of trans friends tho.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jazerus posted:

this thread became a complete shitshow in d&d as fishmech and the like increasingly gained free reign there. the point of moving here was to escape the legacy of d&d and talk about this in a reasonable subforum, which hopefully might have included moderation against the people actively importing that legacy

who mods the mods

think about it :11tea:

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ive only come to this thread via reports, which are almost always pj/someone saying someone is harassing prester jane when theyre just disagreeing with her. gently caress off.

You sure seem to be angryposting a lot if you're just a humble post janitor here to check up on reports. Which report, exactly, made you go into Marxist class analysis again?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Y'know, I never notice the grenade before now. What good is a feeble human body against that?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nothing belongs in D&D and you are doing a trash job of explaining yourself.

:wrong: fishmech belongs in D&D

Can we petition to have cashcrab do our modding, a foster-mod as it were

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Getting asked questions that you can't answer? "Nah it's just a joke forum brah" and ignore them. Works errytime.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Actually gamergate was just a bunch of trolls doing the memes online what do you mean "consistent harassment against women" lol it's just a meme 420 69 and obviously the left should debate Ben shapino because he's attacking their ~big scary ideas~ that trans people exist

PS. Why do you have such contempt for a self-identitied mentally ill trans woman? :thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i have information that will lead to the six hour probation of hillary rodham clinton

We've had our differences, but I will be very saddened by news of your "suicide".

Do we know anything about the shooters concretely?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

RandomPauI posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to the Meuller thread.

Troll "What about the Iraq invasion?"
Mods "Yes, what ABOUT the Iraq invasion? Clearly, this is the right thread to talk about it because there are no other threads that are discussing the shitshow that has been the Iraq war."
Troll "Russia didn't help but if it did how would it be any different from Allende?"
Mods "Hmm. Good point, let's have a discussion about US imperialism?"
Posters "Or we can have that discussion in any of the other threads about US regional and global imperialism."
Mods "Don't make us issue sixers for stifling free discussion!"

At least our mods are still better than the ones at Reddit or Youtube.

Something Awful Dot Com: Slightly less pedophiles, guaranteed

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

uncop posted:

Is it just me and a coincidence regarding when news have been breaking out or did ICE agents get noticeably worse after that anarchist guy attacked them?

Bullies get scared when anyone fights back against them, even nonviolently. They take it out on the victims. They get a bit worse every time they see someone not immediately worship them for their ~service~.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

glad to see smoking weed counts as a sacrifice to satan, i'm doing my part

(jesus christ if this is how the true believer trump supporters actually think how the gently caress can or should we rehabilitate them at scale?)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Good things, right?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i just hope the people I love end up in the initial blast and not the pressure wave and radiation, or Bernie wins and lives to see his first 100. Those are (metaphorically) the boundary conditions of our continued slow decline into barbarism.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Honestly? I like that we're clearing house somewhat and I gladly offer my probe list for considering other mods acting similar to ppj. Except cash crab. Protect our ratcoon.

Here's hoping fyad stays dead

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

McGlockenshire posted:

I really don't wanna derail this thread more than needed, but you're seeing only the end result without any of the context.

I was a moderator on a discord with PPJ during those events. Everything described in the bit you're worried about was discussed at great length in moderator chat. I won't speak for anyone else or discuss the contents of the conversations, but I was heavily, heavily in favor of centralized nazi banning. None of this poo poo happened in a vacuum, and PPJ was not the only person acting or making decisions.

I can only assume that this information wasn't included in his post because he didn't want to drag us into the drama. I say this based on his public behavior and statements in that discord after the drama started. I stepped down as moderator there a few months ago.

Given what I know, I find it hard to believe that PPJ is a nazi or that his moderator actions are influenced by any bias against trans people. I'm not saying he didn't have it out for Prester Jane, just that I don't think that bigotry is the driver.

which of the nazi discords are you in, let's play another game of idiot, apologist or just another nazi wearing the red armband of "well actually"-ing trans people. My bet is #3 given the vagaries.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's your choice, but putting yourself in smaller social circles so you don't have to interact with the wrong sort of people doesn't seem like a great long-term solution either. Self-segregation is ultimately still segregation. Negative peace allows for progress, slow progress but still progress, segregation does not.

Maybe just take a couple months off, let things blow over and settle down before you make an irrevocable decision to burn bridges? Winter is awful, things might look better in the spring. SA is miles more progressive than it was 10 years ago, be a shame to risk a permaban now and lock yourself out of whatever SA becomes tomorrow.

lol nah

Prester Jane posted:

Every time an insider comes out on this story important the details change- particularly whether or not other people were involved in the spying or how aware other mods were of PPJ's clandestine activities. I appreciate what you are trying to do here McGlockenshire but at this point I just don't believe anything I hear about the PPJ situation anymore because its obvious that most people talking about it are knowingly obfuscating important details.

At this point my continuing participation in this community is starting to become something of a moral question (not the only poster that feels this way) and so my attitude st this point is "I takes my chances and I gets what I gets".

That said, the heart of the ongoing forums culture war imo is the result of an incompatability between two different worldviews resulting from different lived experiences- on one side you have people who have generally lived in relatively stable social environments (and thus prefer a "negative peace" status quo) and on the other side you have those who believe that the status quo must be continuously and constantly reinvented, and that this disruption should be intentionally conducted in pursuit of an agenda.

PJ I hope you continue to contribute here, you've done more to improve SA than the entirety of FYAD and most of the admins (even excluding the pedos and nazis in the latter category, no point in doing so for the first)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Also IMO at this point I want text logs from or confirmed by multiple otherwise unaffiliated participants before I believe anything, we need at least more than a murky and shifting je ne sais quoi given thus far.