Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cythereal posted:

I'm American, and none of my grade schooling said more about the Civil War than "The North invaded the South and beat it, and Abraham Lincoln was a cool dude until he got shot. The slaves were freed afterwards."

Take a wild guess which part of America I'm from.

I went through the Florida public school system, at the height of Jeb! ramming crappy standardized tests down everyone’s throats, and we never actually studied either World War. It usually amounted to “We beat Germany, then there was the depression, then we beat Germany again and nuked Japan. Have a nice summer!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not as bad as using M-47s for literally everything in Patton.

:spergin:The British tanks were M24s, and there were a few M41s in there too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Milo and POTUS posted:

That longest day harbour battle seems waaaaay ahead of its time for some reason.

IIRC, it’s one of the first times that a scene was filmed from a moving helicopter, and it’s pretty long take of very detailed action on top of that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
It’s part of the ending to Thunderball.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Just a heads up, the link to the “Valentine I, II, and IV” article leads to the “Valentine II and IV in the USSR” page.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

I’d like to see that added on at some point

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Amazing Omaha Beach Stuff

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 5, 2019

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cyrano4747 posted:

(and boy howdy was he famous for taking anecdotes uncritically - SLA Marshall’s problematic place in military history is a whole different issue).

Could you possibly touch on this issue some more? I’ve seen it alluded to a few times, or maybe it stuck with me from the last time you did the awesome Ambrose post, but having read a few of his books when I was younger, I’m curious about his various issues.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cessna posted:

Just off the top of my head, Iron Maiden has done songs on the Battle of Britain, the Crimean War, Alexander the Great, Paschendale, the Siege of Montségur, and others.

And their lead singer fences, drives tanks, and flies old biplanes. I think it's safe to say they're history nerds.

Also D-Day (Plus a few other WWII related ones), the first Gulf War, at least one or two on the Falklands, at least two on others on various forms of air combat, and a litany of other stuff.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Vahakyla posted:

Did IRA have good access to SAMs and was there ever attempted shootdowns of brit choppers? If not, why not?

IIRC they never really got SAMs. I think there were some attempts to acquire them, but I don’t think they ever worked out, or at least led to them having any quantity of them if any at all.

They definitely tried to shoot down helicopters, but rarely had any success at it. They got a number of DShK-type machine guns from Libya in the mid-80s that they used a few times to try and take down helicopters, but I think every attempt failed and ended with them having to abandon the gun because of size/placement issues.

They also had RPGs, but I don’t think they tried to use them against helicopters.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
My grandfather, from Brooklyn, missed going to Korea because they selected him shortly after MP training to go to Long Island and make training films. He spent most of his two years literally going home on weekends and was forced not to shave at times because they had to appear like dirty POWs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I think I made this comment in the last thread, but I learned more about history from Iron Maiden and Rush songs than I did from school probably up to 8th grade. Also old war movies, because I remember my elementary school mind being pretty blown by Audie Murphy doing all his insanity and then playing himself in To Hell and Back.

And to further add on to what was mentioned before, yeah, the 30 Years War is definitely never touched on or even mentioned in American schools before college-level speciality courses.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
That looks awful. CGI and effects look terrible.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

CGI and effects are almost always way worse in trailers than in release.

It just looked really cheap to me, even for a trailer. Like, badly obvious CGI and green screens with overly large explosions like in Pearl Harbor or Windtalkers several other mediocre war movies from the past ten or fifteen years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

HEY GUNS posted:

499 pages, going to turn over to a new thread in one page, get your shitposting in while you can

I’m still waiting for whoever was going to do that writeup on the Type-74 tank.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tank destroyers actually rule

:hmmyes: