Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

Are they actually worse panels than other TVs from the same brand or are they just short of features compared to other models?

A little of column A, little of column B.

From my understanding manufacturers will put the same actual panel in the TVs destined for discount retailers, but LCD panels are graded when they come off the assembly line. A TV being sold at Wal-Mart or Target is likely going to have a B-grade LCD panel (basically means it will have defects that may or may not impact picture quality), while one sold from a more premium retailer will receive a higher graded panel. And I'm sure they cut corners elsewhere - like cheaper electrical components on the PCBs or shittier speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wow. I'm actually speechless.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo.

:lol: at goons ITT being shocked that there are still racists in the south in TYOOL 2018.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

QuarkMartial posted:

Apparently, if I'm not happy with the results of the election, I'm supposed to organize and devote my life to political activism. Who the hell has time for that?

Who is insinuating you should devote your whole life to political activism?

You can't find a few hours a month - every other year - to volunteer with a candidate or local party's campaign to stuff mailers, work a phone bank, go canvasing, etc?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are there any options these days that are as close to the feel of an M as possible, but without anywhere near as much noise?

Never used an M but I've been really happy with my two Logitech gaming mechanical keyboards (I have one at work and one at home) that use their own proprietary "romer-g" switches.

Nice tactile feedback but relatively quiet and without a spring "boing" when you release the key. No custom keycaps if that's a thing you're into though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Generally the concept seems to be similar to a vote of no confidence, i.e. try again, with different, better people this time.

Jesus gently caress, "none of the above, reset and give us a flesh slate of candidates" needs to be an option.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Pittsburgh - like much of the midwest outside of the Great Lakes snowbelt - should only see occasional significant accumulation throughout the winter. You might get the leftovers from one or two particularly heavy lake effect snowstorms from Lake Erie (assuming environmental conditions are ideal), but overall you're only going to have substantial snow on the ground when a major system blows through. Although its not uncommon for municipalities and the state DOT to needlessly salt the roads when it dips below freezing to keep people from bitching - here in NE Ohio its not uncommon to see ODOT out brining major interchanges if there's >20% chance of a major snowstorm.

I'd call it a stretch that you'd need snow tires in Pittsburgh (if I had to guess you'll probably have a handful of days per winter where it snows hard enough fast enough that road crews can't keep up and they're actually required), but they're certainly not going to hurt anything.

As far as salt and rust mitigation goes...I generally don't wash my car when the temperature stays below freezing. Dry salt on paint isn't going to hurt anything, and when the road is wet your car realistically only stays clean while its being washed and until you pull out of the car wash. I've never used undercoating or oil sprays, and I've driven the same car through at least 13 winters - there's some surface rust on the undercarriage, but regularly using carwashes with undercarriage sprayers has seemed to prevent the worst of the damage.

Keep an eye open for rock chips to form during the winter, especially ones that go down to bare metal. You'll want to cover those up with a touch-up paint pen ASAP or they'll start rusting very quickly. Also give plow trucks with their salt spreaders in operation a wide berth - the rock salt they use is similar to getting pelted with medium gravel at highway speed and they will do a number on your hood, fenders, front bumper & windshield.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Wow, all the bad aging parents chat actually makes me feel fortunate that all I have to look forward to is my father becoming increasingly belligerent and eccentric with old age.

To give an example, my 31 year old brother is living with my parents (having just left the army about this time last year) and periodically messages me with stories about his slow slide into insanity. Most recently? Apparently he was throwing a giant tantrum the other night because there was too much ice in the freezer.

He's 63. We're in for an interesting 20 years...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Adiabatic posted:

Your dad rules.

It's not so great being on the receiving end. His eccentricities are so bad that my wife and I actually came up with a drinking game for him when he says or does crazy things.

We had to pare it down substantially, otherwise we'd either need liver transplants or would be dead by now.

Top 5:

• Telling you about someone he knows, but you don't, and insisting you do when you tell him otherwise.
  • Follows fad diets loosely (recently stopped a voluntary gluten free diet, during which he frequently consumed non-GF beer) but proselytizes others about it as if their very lives hang in the balance.
  • Has to tell random strangers he encounters in public about whatever book he's reading, what they're doing this week on This Old House or other random tidbits he heard on a radio show, podcast or website that nobody is interested in.
  • Related to the above, he will talk your ear off at length about *whatever* has piqued his interest, then two days later forget he already did and explain the whole thing again. Even after telling him him he already did.
  • Will go to an ethnic restaurant and speaks with the staff in a loose approximation of their native language. This includes going to ethnic restaurants run and staffed entirety by white people - recently he was at some hipster taco and tequila bar and was dropping "hola!" and "gracias!" to the clearly non-Spanish speaking college students. Not entirely certain which version is more embarrassing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spog posted:

Okay, I m genuinely concerned about the freezer with too much ice in it.

Are we talking about a build-up of ice, rather than ice cubes?

Here's the conversation:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Currently four people living in their house, my parents and my brother & sister.

Everyone but my dad uses normal, non-freezer funk ice cube trays so his inevitably get cycled to the bottom of the stack, and as my brother stated "the level of upset he gets at the littlest things is incredible."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I used to work in drug stores year round (was a field tech working on photo lab equipment) and from about this time until spring I'd bring home any number of respiratory infections from all the sick people coming in to fill their prescriptions.

This occurred despite religious handwashing and mega-dosing on vitamin C and zinc.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Can't speak to the Fiesta specifically but Ford has been using a passive anti-theft system since at least the early 2000s. Shouldn't be able to start it without a key.

Of course, there's nothing stopping a resourceful auto thief from replacing the ECU with one that's been reprogrammed to bypass the immobilizer. What's perplexing is why someone would go through that much trouble for a loss-leader model.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mewse posted:

Is brown butter made from chocolate milk? Sounds disgusting

You simmer butter in a pan until the milk fat browns.

My wife makes sweet potato gnocchi with a sage-infused brown butter and the two combined are amazing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yep, the nation is awash in college graduates who can't afford to repay their student loans and have found out their degrees are effectively worth less than the paper they're printed on - but let's double down on that and saddle up to six figures of debt that can literally only be discharged via death. What could possibly go wrong?!?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

No degree, no experience, got a great job at 39. I know plenty of people with great jobs but they are saddled with crushing amounts of debt.

Same, except I'm 35.

What pisses me off is when I was finishing high school college was presented as literally the only career track, with a caveat carved out for military enlistment or other civil service volunteering so you could pay for college later. The concept of entering the trades or *gasp* teaching yourself enough to earn certifications outside of a formal classroom was anathema to almost all of my teachers.

If someone had steered me in the right direction around the end of my junior year my career track would have looked substantially different than it has, and I likely wouldn't have been stuck in a dead-end job with no raises for the better part of a decade in the mid-late 2000s.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

meatpimp posted:

They are shocked when I tell them that is a new construct and that wasn't told to students even 20 years ago.

My district must have been ahead of the curve - graduated in 2001, and I never heard more than lip service or some form of "you could get into a vocation BUT college is better because..." for alternatives to college.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

T-Square posted:

Guess it's either try surgery to make it last a few months, or go look for something else. Plus side, I just got an e-mail that Project Fi went to Google Fi and now I have a larger choice of phones.

It really isn't that difficult to disassemble. You'll need a spudger, a few picks and a suction cup opener. Also it's highly likely that you'll shatter the camera plateau glass (there are screws hiding under it) so you'll want to have a replacement standing by. Of course, battery failure isn't the only failure mode for the 6P - after replacing the battery in November of last year mine only made it through January before suffering the high speed CPU core failure problem that prevents it from booting.

FWIW you've technically always been able to BYOD with Fi, assuming you either have a Fi phone to activate with, or an already activated Fi SIM. I've been on Fi with a OnePlus 3T since February, all of the critical stuff works fine (voice/data/SMS) but for some reason I can't receive MMS (either group chats or text with attachments) and the visual voicemail system works halfway, it tells me it isn't activated but it still shows a transcript of messages. It helps that T-Mobile has a very good network where I am, so I don't miss the ability to jump onto Sprint.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MomJeans420 posted:

I thought that project fi (now google fi I guess) vpn was automatically on, but it wasn't.

It used to only automatically connect to the VPN when you were on one of their "approved" public WiFi networks, but now its supposed to be on all the time - regardless of how you're connected.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The beater Mazda6 popped the battery light on the way home from work. I turned everything off because I figured the alternator must have died. I was fortunate to make it home. I swapped it out last night, but the replacement is a bit...loud and gravelly sounding. I bet I will be doing the job again within a year. It is the third time I have swapped alternator. Installing the serpentine belt on your own in that car is a total kick in the dick.

But hey I got it done without incident in a short amount of time last night so :toot:

Sent you a PM, I've got an alternator for a first-gen 2.3 taking up space in my garage that you might be able to use...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The good news is the car is fine.

The bad news is the cost to hire a crane to extract it exceeds its value.

• Locked thread