Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Finally a Saturday for my wife and I to ourselves....

...OH WAIT PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THEIR poo poo TOGETHER and now we have to babysit and run all over the city. Joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

the spyder posted:

Random thought: Figuring out what to do with your life at 34 is a pain in the rear end...

This, plus photochat has me wishing I'd pursued more with photography. Not as a job, but gotten more into it as a hobby. I have a decent enough camera (Nikon D40), but only one lense. I used to love taking photos and would do it all the time... but I don't any more. I really wish I'd gotten into CNC machining, for example.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
gently caress em. Lock their asses in a bathroom and sleep.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

InitialDave posted:

If you get one, you have to call it Lockheed.

There really is no other option.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

First thing to make me laugh on the internet in a while.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Welp. gently caress it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Now I'm seeing all this stuff about if you don't like the results to organize and all that poo poo.

gently caress that. I have jobs and obligations and other responsibilities that keep me from babysitting the goddamned government. It is not too much to ask that our elected officials not be Nazis and act as responsible individuals.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Do what now?

Apparently, if I'm not happy with the results of the election, I'm supposed to organize and devote my life to political activism. Who the hell has time for that?

Just venting, sorry.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Geoj posted:

Who is insinuating you should devote your whole life to political activism?

You can't find a few hours a month - every other year - to volunteer with a candidate or local party's campaign to stuff mailers, work a phone bank, go canvasing, etc?

Nope.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone's day? Anything you're looking forward to?

Eating lunch tbh... I'm starving.

Also it's deadlift day, so hoping the gym isn't crowded and I can lift in peace.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I support all the LGBTQ folks out there. Anywhere around me is a safe space (house classroom, any room I happen to be in... I'll stand up for ya).

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Door Frame posted:

Time to find out who I am, and to build my own life

Time to grow motherfucker!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Door Frame posted:

My friends are telling me that I need to talk to her about this, but I'm going to maintain radio silence for the time being. Maybe give it a couple months before I try to find out what the gently caress actually happened. Find some other way to get this festering mass of emotions out of my head

Tomarse posted:

1) Write everything down in a letter. Don’t hold back.

2) Burn the letter

Going to Nth this one here. There is no way to describe how cathartic it is, even though it sounds childish in a way. Just do it and it'll help you move on.

spog posted:

Remembrance Sunday.

Always good to stop and take a moment to remember how lucky our generation is and think about those who made sacrifices for us.

I think about what my experience would have been if I were a young man at the time of the Great War and realise that it probably would have been to die in an utterly pointless fashion.

"Had he and I but met
By some old ancient inn,
We should have sat us down to wet
Right many a nipperkin!

"But ranged as infantry,
And staring face to face,
I shot at him as he at me,
And killed him in his place.

"I shot him dead because —
Because he was my foe,
Just so: my foe of course he was;
That's clear enough; although

"He thought he'd 'list, perhaps,
Off-hand like — just as I —
Was out of work — had sold his traps —
No other reason why.

"Yes; quaint and curious war is!
You shoot a fellow down
You'd treat if met where any bar is,
Or help to half-a-crown."

I support and love our troops, but I am against war. It's always started by some idiots in power that won't have to fight themselves, nor have their children fight, and they won't bother spending money to help the VA care for the soldiers who haven't fully come back yet.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fender Anarchist posted:

Party Cannon are the true rebels.

Party Cannon cracks me up every time.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

rdb posted:

Its probably on the radius portion of the tire on the inside. It would be a bit difficult to properly patch... from the inside.

I would just jam a rope plug in it and see how long it lasts.

That's probably why. Also, if it's an inch or less from the sidewall, they won't patch it either.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Queen Combat posted:

Hippie trans teetotaling medic mechanic? These are professionals! I'd be thrown in the loony bin. Or invited to parties. Nurses are weird.

E: I don't have class until 1400 tomorrow, watching The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition for the first time ever.

Sleep well! :v:

ExplodingSims posted:

Ok, so has Google maps started putting advertising in their maps or has that always been there?
Like, lately I've noticed when it's giving directions it'll say stuff like "Turn right on to XYZ street after Wells Fargo on the Left" or "In 1000' turn left after McDonalds on the corner"
Has that always been there and I just never noticed? :psyduck:

It's been in there for a while, but it's not always there for me. Bigger cities (OKC) seem to have it, but I've not noticed it really in Nashville. I really wish it'd just abbreviate the highways / interstates. There's a few where it's like "Take the exit for HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street.... Merge onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street. Turn left onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street" It's exhausting.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I work with kids, and there's no surprise that I get sick every now and then. They all pick their drat noses. Thank God for hand sanititzer....

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Rhyno posted:

Just don't get content. My bud's dad has almost no use of his left arm because of an injury and he refused to do PT.

Oooh, you guys want some drama?

One of my groomsmen is on a loving crusade to rescue his friends daughter that eloped with a registered sex offender. Dude is 35, girl turned 18 the day they took off. He'd been after her since she was 14 but it's not the same girl he got convicted for. I have been asked to be a part of the brute squad to murder this guy.

And this is what he looks like, I know you'll enjoy this

Man. Look at that photo again. You want to go to prison for beating up that guy? Save it for someone worth your time.

Queen Combat posted:

Professor: Credible sources are places like the National Institute of Health, papers accessed from the school's online library (like Pubmed, EBSCO, ProQuest), and your textbooks.

Student: Pulls from the NIH, the library, and the textbook.

Professor:

:psyduck:

As argued by Mastodon and Haztenbuhler (2013), the professor can "Go suck a dick. Suck a dick. Suck a motherfucking dick. Suck a dick. Suck a huge or small one."

-----
References:
Mastodon, N. & Haztenbuhler, D. [ShockingDirector] (2013, December 5) GO SUCK A DICK SONG [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS2PCPKomCc

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've got a Canon Canoscan something or other that has lasted for like ten years. Two years ago our stupid minisplit ac leaked on it, but we dried it out and it's still going strong. Can even remove an insert from the lid and scan in film.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

mewse posted:

Is brown butter made from chocolate milk? Sounds disgusting

Well, brown cows.

I just basically follow the recipe on the bag of Martha White corn meal.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fo3 posted:

There's hardly any corn in your cornbread!

I like Ab's recipe when I make it:
Alton brown corn bread

preheat 10" cast iron pan in oven at 425F

combine in bowl:
2 eggs
1C buttermilk
1C creamed corn

Combine in separate bowl
2 C coarse cornmeal
1t salt
1T sugar
2t baking powder
½t baking soda

Add liquid to powder, adding extra buttermilk if mixture too dry and loosely whisk

Add 2T oil to hot CI pan, pour in mixture, bake 20min until springy.

AB is something, but I have never seen corn kernels in cornbread except in his recipe. I've just not seen it done anywhere or by any family members or anyone else in my circles. I have no idea where he got that idea, honestly. Also, I'm not 100%, but I bet you could replace the baking powder, baking soda, and cornmeal with hot rise cornmeal and save a step.

Savory cornbread is where it's at for basically everything. Occasionally, sweet corn cakes for BBQ. If you want a sweet corn dish, then corn casserole (or pudding, jeez mom make up your mind on what its called) is where it's at.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Unpopular opinion: Alabama style white sauce is killer on certain kinds of smoked meat

Birds, mainly, imo.

everdave posted:

I am TN through and through but man I like Kansas City style sauce, Memphis style, Carolina mustard / vinegar and even “shudder” Alabama white. I’ll take it all!

If y’all ever in Nashville you gotta try Martins bbq. He serves up different sauces if you ask including a white. Everything is fantastic.

And Chili for me too: I make it with beans I make without. Just give me Dat chili any way you like it (though chicken chili doesn’t seem to be for me, or at least I haven’t had a memorable one)

How the hell have I not even tried Martins yet? Bar-B-Cutie is another one that has various sauces on the table, but I don't know how I feel about their BBQ. I can't think of the last time I've had really great bbq here that I didn't make myself. I follow a few local guys on IG and I need to get plates from them, but I never can seem to get around to it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

everdave posted:

Definitely try it, I had him cater my wedding (this was before he had his BBQ empire). You will probably have to ask for other sauces but if you do they will know you are there for the food and not to just be in a hot spot. On a weekend night skip the line of 100+ and just go sit at the rooftop bar and order (yes this is allowed but nobody knows)

Oh snap. Thanks for that tidbit.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Welp. My parents make me want to drink. How about y'all's?

Non. Stop. Talking.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Goober Peas posted:

I'm sympathetic. My mom is non-stop about nothing and my dad and brother are the king and prince of stupid questions.

We were watching the AKC dog show (or whatever it was after the parade). The winner was a whippet. "That's a greyhound. That looks like a greyhound. Are they sure that's not a greyhound? That's a greyhound!" All in one breath.

Yes. The head of the AKC or whatever it is doesn't even know what sort of dog that is.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Sounds like you have a drinking problem

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So, fun fact. If you go to a wedding in which the couple getting married is gay, there will be other gay people in attendance.

A relative found this out and was shocked and got his feelings hurt when we all laughed at him.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
If you learn to cut, you'll save time. Sounds like you've got a good opportunity to learn :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
As a teacher*, I loving love when this happens because I'll stop everything else to show off this event taking place. Unfortunately, my kids missed it because they had art (which happened to be a great waste of their time), but I'll be showing them all the videos and photos and such tomorrow, and we'll all geek out together because...

Queen Combat posted:

Fucks me up that Curiosity weighs 1,982 pounds (Earth) and is 10fx9fx8f in L/W/H.

It's a Fiat 500 and we landed it with a loving rocket crane.

At the basic level, it's just loving cool as poo poo. I mean, it's history in the making. I also showed the SpaceX launches earlier this year, where the rockets took off and returned. All of this cool poo poo just helps to cement the importance of everything else - I can help bolster an interest in any subject with this sort of stuff.

*formerly Science, now I teach all subjects

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

InitialDave posted:

I'm just thinking about how much QC has saved that girl in ambulance costs...

Same.

No, you kicked a lot of rear end and could probably throw that under experience in your CV :v:

If it's a sign of things to come, you'll definitely be able to keep your head in emergencies as a nurse.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Queen Combat posted:

How am I supposed to slide under the academic radar now?

You wear that target proud, tell the haters to get gud, then make them thank you for making them work harder to be better medical professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Charles posted:

Parts store alternators are notoriously bad. At least get the lifetime warranty ones so you're swapping them for free.

Protip: AAP is supposed to test them before you leave. I am not sure if it's broad company policy or if our GM just said that because he was tired of returns, but you could make them test it there.

• Locked thread