Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was absolutely convinced that Titus Owelliver was either Irish or at least from England, both from his work in Sons of Anarchy (his work, though not necessarily his character, was a bright spot in poo poo show) and how it, to me at one or two points in Deadwood, sounded like a brit trying too hard to do a old time southwestern accent.

Nah, dude's from Maine.

Also, I have not seen Bosch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You should see Bosch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pattonesque posted:

Al Swearengen's "anyways" made it into my vernacular immediately and has never left

"Anyways" must be a Milch staple, because I picked it up as well but from NYPD Blue, I recall characters using it pretty liberally and something about it just stuck with me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

withak posted:

You should see Bosch.

I've still got big (good) feelings about The Shield, is that going to get in the way of me enjoying Bosch? They seem similarly themed.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
gently caress I forgot just how uncomfortable the scene with Cy and the 2 kid thieves is. I remember how the Dan v Captain fight made me squirm, but this is on par with it and I don't squirm easy from TV/movie scenes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've still got big (good) feelings about The Shield, is that going to get in the way of me enjoying Bosch? They seem similarly themed.

Bosch is a very different kind of cop show. Harry (Hieronymus) Bosch is very much a Good Guy, and Titus Welliver really delivers on that characterization. He goes up against and sometimes finds himself allying with bad and or corrupt figures, but his Big Deal is bringing down the worst scum of this Earth.

Each season is its own crime story, so you know, might want to prepare for a possible binge session or two. I really can't say much else without spoiling stuff. But Harry is a Good Dude in a world that doesn't really respect that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I watched it with some people who had never seen it before, and they loved it. Might have hyped the movie too much though, as when it was over they didn't feel it was as good a wrap up as I'd made it out to be. I still think it's a great nightcap on the show, Al's death is perfect, but ah well.

The movie was way too short - I still remember getting home from work and being disappointed right off the bat when I saw the runtime on the video player.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rappaport posted:

Bosch is a very different kind of cop show. Harry (Hieronymus) Bosch is very much a Good Guy, and Titus Welliver really delivers on that characterization. He goes up against and sometimes finds himself allying with bad and or corrupt figures, but his Big Deal is bringing down the worst scum of this Earth.

Each season is its own crime story, so you know, might want to prepare for a possible binge session or two. I really can't say much else without spoiling stuff. But Harry is a Good Dude in a world that doesn't really respect that.

The first season of Bosch I watched really hooked me, I was like "Oh so this is how a real detective works, following leads, digging through clues. None of this bullshit CSI, Criminal Minds stuff."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

thepokey posted:

gently caress I forgot just how uncomfortable the scene with Cy and the 2 kid thieves is. I remember how the Dan v Captain fight made me squirm, but this is on par with it and I don't squirm easy from TV/movie scenes.

he fuckin fractures Kristen Bell's skull! It's hosed up

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had to open a new tab when I was watching that last time. It's brutal.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

think my favourite line from the show is EB on the degenerate titlicker - "I begrudge that pervert his capacity for happiness."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I had to open a new tab when I was watching that last time. It's brutal.

As horrific as it obviously is, somehow the worst part for me is seeing the sheer, savage pleasure that Cy is taking in taunting her during the whole thing. He's sadistic, of course, that's a big part of it, but part of it is that he absolutely loathes the idea that anybody else could even think about getting one over on him. Which makes for a pretty loving deadly (for him) atmosphere when he starts tangling with Hearst, because that is a guy so far beyond his level that even his own self delusion can't construct a mental scenario that allows him to believe he has the upper hand, and it loving tears him up inside, and others suffer for it. Watching his clumsy efforts to exert some kind of control/blackmail on Hearst and how quickly he's put in his place is remarkable.

God, what a great show.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah thats what really makes it uncomfortable for, the absolute joy Cy is getting from it (and then trying to tell Joanie afterwards that it was all an act).

Which is something I never quite got the first time around - what exactly is the relationship between Cy and Joanie? I didn't quite get what their background was, it seemed way more complex than Al/Trixie

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

thepokey posted:

Which is something I never quite got the first time around - what exactly is the relationship between Cy and Joanie? I didn't quite get what their background was, it seemed way more complex than Al/Trixie

I believe the official backstory was that she was pimped out (and also abused) by her own father, along with her sisters, and Cy literally bought her from her father.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I take it back...

pickling his prick in the oval office-brine of another

is a tough act to follow

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I saw the original series well over a decade ago, and just finished a rewatch and saw the movie for the first time too.

Man, I started this as escapism! Had honestly forgotten that the series includes a prominent pandemic arc and - oh yeah - a living avatar of capitalism murdering union organizers, rigging elections, and flaunting that they are completely above the law.

Best Deadwood quote is one hell of a parlor game. But I have never been more terrified than Heart's " I'll not name how you would benefit from the action I wish you to take, saying only instead it's my will. To which I will have you bend." early in the third season.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Al taunting Bullock was better than I remembered - "with you at her ear, among other points of entry". The whole thing had so much tension, absolutely two alphas trying to out-peacock each other. I loved how Al was simultaneously trying to talk strategy with Bullock while also fixing for a fight at the same time.

Also, "the only good woman is one with maggots in her eyes" ... jesus loving christ, Cy :dogstare:

edit: oh, and I almost spit my drink out at this. All Con Stapleton has to do is exist for me to laugh, I don't know what it is about him

thepokey fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 4, 2023

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It’s amazing how Al seems to be peak brutal rear end in a top hat and then Cy shows up and the scale needs recalibrating.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Felt to me like they liked McShane's performance so much they needed bigger heels so they could turn him face.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

"Yeah. With his paws always damp like a just-poo poo loving turd. That's the type I'd wanna know about. Comings, goings, and dealings with your bosses."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Felt to me like they liked McShane's performance so much they needed bigger heels so they could turn him face.

I kept trying to phrase this post earlier and didn't really feel happy with it, but all the same: Al is presented, in my viewing which was a time ago, as a somewhat humane monster. Cy is definitely a monster-monster of a human being.

Al keeps "the gimp" around (his wording), Al knew about not shoving metal objects in someone's mouth when they're having a seizure, and the Doc knew that he could at least talk with Al about things.

Al facilitates violence (oh dear goodness me does the goon watching the show from the beginning have a good slash horrific time ahead of them with this one) and presumably forced prostitution, so he's no role model. But one of the points of Deadwood is that it's an awful place that grinds people down. That isn't an excuse for Al, Al was already a bad guy from the start, but that's kind of Bullock's story. Everything keeps going to poo poo, he tries to stem that horrible tide but Deadwood the town keeps being a very lawless, terrible place. And then we get Hearst, who represents a very different kind of evil.

I will also admit to being a massive Ian McShane fan, I would watch him read a phonebook because he is a hoot.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Could also be said that Al's fairly amoral in the sense of any broader ideology. He has his objectives. And he takes whatever steps are required to accomplish them. Sometimes a bit of human kindness is the right tool to deploy.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Poor Leon :(

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Jesus Christ, I don't think anyone, anywhere, in any walk of life, whether in fiction or not, is as angry as Steve the Drunk

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thepokey posted:

Jesus Christ, I don't think anyone, anywhere, in any walk of life, whether in fiction or not, is as angry as Steve the Drunk

you can find thousands him in the comments of any news outlet's facebook posts

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I think it's a misread that Deadwood is a particularly bad place which makes people worse. There aren't really any examples of that happening in the show - awful people come, and if they remain awful, they are rejected. Sometimes successfully, sometimes their acceptance is irrelevant like with Hearst who gets what he wants regardless, but everybody hates him. Al on the other hand becomes more and more civilised as the show goes and goes from the ruling crime boss to almost the mayor and patriarch - standards of Deadwood re: violence and theft being what they are.

Cy's a counter point to Al because he and Al start off in similar places but Cy rejects the civilising influence of society and he becomes more and more marginalised, desperate for any angle - like when he attempts to court Hearst, who has no need for him and hates him like he hates everybody. If Cy would just make an honest attempt to benefit the town, or at least give it consideration like Al does, he'd be fine, but he's too selfish and short-sighted for that. He's stupid, and legitimately nasty. Al's nastiness is an adaptation to a harsh world and he will use it, but he's happy to put aside when possible, because he's not stupid.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Deadwood as a place seems fairly hopeless. People like Bullock are repeatedly beat down by what they cannot control, despite Bullock being the law-man and all. Bullock and Sol don't necessarily become "worse" as people, but they adapt to a lovely situation best they can. I guess Bullock is a mean son of a bitch from the get-go, but the environment of Deadwood certainly enables him to act out on his worst impulses.

And Dan probably would've been a stone-cold killer in other places too, but what he does in that fight, the show very explicitly high-lights that this is a level of depravity and horror that only happens out there on the frontier.

Several early plot-lines in the show revolve around people doing awful things because they can there in Deadwood, too, like basically everything around Alma. Which involves Al being a monster too, but as you say, he is portrayed as mellowing out as the seasons develop. Sort of.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

"I am a sinner who does not expect forgiveness... but I am not a government official." cracks me up every time.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
on my millionth rewatch and this time around it's killing me how good Ricky Jay was

not content just being one of the greatest magicians of his generation, but also a character actor who effortlessly holds his own against powers loving boothe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was a shame he left the show, but I loved that it appears he did actually pull off exactly what he bragged to Joanie he was going to do: rip off Cy right under his nose, put together the cash for her to buy her place, then got the gently caress out with Cy only grasping what had happened after the fact, unable to ever prove it, and utterly powerless to do anything about it.

The power of Ricky Jay :hai:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It was a shame he left the show, but I loved that it appears he did actually pull off exactly what he bragged to Joanie he was going to do: rip off Cy right under his nose, put together the cash for her to buy her place, then got the gently caress out with Cy only grasping what had happened after the fact, unable to ever prove it, and utterly powerless to do anything about it.

The power of Ricky Jay :hai:

IIRC they were gonna film a death scene for Eddie Sawyer but Ricky Jay decided not to show up so Eddie would live on

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gods, that rules. What a loving legend.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Oh poo poo, I had no idea this was coming out --

https://www.tvguide.com/news/justified-city-primeval-release-date-cast-storyline-and-everything-to-know/

(Pasting here as it's the closest thing we have to an active justified thread)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

IIRC they were gonna film a death scene for Eddie Sawyer but Ricky Jay decided not to show up so Eddie would live on

Ahaha, loving amazing :allears:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

"Farnum: twice measured. Star: once cut. Farnum! Christ knows he's earned it!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It is absolutely shocking to me how none of these people became huge deals after this show.

So I'll take comfort in the fact that they're all very well respected.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

LividLiquid posted:

It is absolutely shocking to me how none of these people became huge deals after this show.

So I'll take comfort in the fact that they're all very well respected.

Ian McShane had a late career renaissance as a result of Deadwood, he's been a regular in the John Wick films and done a whole lot of tv work, some of it even rather high-profile. He probably had the most success out of Deadwood.

Timothy Olyphant has had a fun career, doing extremely bad movies but his tv work is generally great. It's worth noting that Olyphant doesn't really have anything resembling range: he can do some things very well but I wouldn't put him in a straight drama in any other role than what he did in Deadwood.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Olyphant is an incredible comedic actor. Santa Clarita Diet deserved another season

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Olyphant was p. funny in The Good Place, but I like to think he was just being himself there

I also liked him in Mandalorian, but that wasn't all comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Kim Dickens is a lead on that Walking Dead spinoff