Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Ambulators shall walk again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just want to spend more time with Joanie Stubs, Jane, and Mose. The real triumvirate of the show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Justified was great and had little mini reunions of Deadwood actors each season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I never got into Justified because in the first episode he kept saying "It was justified" and that was too much for me.

Get through the first 3 episodes of the first season and you're good to go. It really is a fantastic show and was one of my favorites all the way through. Season 5 does kind of drag, but 6 more than makes up for it and is a satisfying conclusion.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Season 3 was great too, largely because of Neal McDonough's manic energy as a smug, sadistic villain spiraling out of control in a weird place where none of the rules he was used to mattered. I'll take 3 over 4 because of him.

Justified is one of my top ten favorite dramas (along with Deadwood), and I always recommend it to everyone. Then, if you want more small town badassery, you have to watch Banshee, which is not as well-written as Justified, but pulpier and fun as hell.

His, "and that's why they call it organized crime" might be one of my all time favorite lines. That and "the next ones gonna come faster" and "I disarmed him" were all in the same season I believe.

What a great season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Speaking of awesome Olyphant shows everyone needs to go watch Santa Clarita Diet right now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Go seemed like it was 4 hours long when I watched it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Uh, as the Doctor screams at God during his "evening prayers", a lot of people died terribly for no reason.

Well, the Union guys died fighting to end slavery. Seems like a pretty good reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was almost a preview of how bad sticking with traditional column formations would work with weapons technology leaping ahead. I think it finally died out during WW1, but gatling guns, accurate artillery, repeating rifles, and iron clad warships were all around (and for most of those first used) during the Civil War. Both sides tore each other apart and basically waged total war on our own country. It was a horrible loving mess that had to happen to fix what was broken. There really was no way that war wasn't going to happen one way or another.

edit:

Phenotype posted:

Okay, well, yes, war sucks and people die and you all live in close proximity before and after. I was really asking why kaworu felt the need to use so many scary adjectives and how the horror of it influenced Deadwood, because I don't know poo poo about the Civil War besides what I learned in school. (Slaves bad, Lincoln good, Union Generals incompetent, etc.)

I have no idea what he was asking either. Pretty sure only a few of the characters had any connection to the Civil War at all. Doc Cochran was the one most affected by it. Jane and Charlie were scouts after the war. Little General Fields I think was a scout as well. Bullock's brother was in the union army. I think that might be it.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 30, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Reverend Smith was a nurse during the war.

:doh: He's one of my favorite characters from that first season. Can't believe I forgot that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Ken Burns doc is fantastic. I can't think of any other Civil War documentary that even comes close. Despite not being 100% accurate The Killer Angels is a fantastic read.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DropsySufferer posted:

I would like to learn more about Hearst not William Randolph Hearst but George Hearst. At the time I watched deadwood years ago I had never heard of him. I tried to find a book on him but everything was about his son.

He was so charismatic and ruthless on Deadwood I wanted to read the whole story about him. Was he really that much of an rear end in a top hat and that insane about gold? How historically accurate is his character on deadwood? I want to believe he really had his giant bodyguard fight a salon owner’s toughest man to the death.

He was considered one of the best at determining the value of mines. Besides that and buying interests in large mining operations, I'm pretty sure everything else is just made up for the show. I did like the little "I'll just buy a paper and have it lie the other way" as a small nod to the eventual Hearst news empire though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

His prices getting higher and higher as the season goes on is one of my favorite little things. Also, when he calls Bullock the "town pugilist" just to catch an asskicking from him later in the season (I think, he may have said that in season 1 and caught the beating in season 3).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! Let's post our favorite quotes!

I've always been partial to:

Seth: Swearengen said the county commissioners are all from Yankton.
Sol: When?
Seth: Just before we hit the mud. It's wrong the hills get no representation.
Sol: Even in an Eden like this, wrongs sometimes occur.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, that's a mighty fine dongle on his pocketwatch chain and ~of course~ Bullock buttons the bottom of his waistcoat. :laugh:

(it actually wouldn't become fashionable for another 10 years to leave it unbuttoned...)

Hopefully King William decides suits in general are stupid and we can stop wearing them entirely. I'm pretty sure that's how men's fashion works.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Show killed way less horses than actual horse racing. The fact it got shut down is loving hilarious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wonder what story they'll make up for Dan and Al parting ways. I'm also super stoked to see what Johnny's been up to! Season 3 saw him coming into his own and actually using his wits.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

is Dan not confirmed for the movie?

He has to be. The Gem Boys are basically the only ones I'm interested in seeing again.

edit:
That's a lie. I wanna see what ever stories they're gonna do...I just really liked Dan, Johnny, Al, and even good ol' Sleepy Davey.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

W. Earl Brown, who plays Dan, is definitely in and has talked about filming quite a lot on Twitter, including that Sean Bridger (Johnny) was filming too. Apparently Titus Welliver (Silas) was tied up filming Bosch and I doubt Brian Cox is coming back if he wasn't mentioned by now, but generally if the actor and character are both alive I think it's safer to assume that they'll be there than not. Perhaps even one person who the show has killed a couple of times already

That's awesome. I watched all of Raising Hope just for him. Was a pretty good show though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Got back on my rewatch and Tom Nuttall on the bike is such a beautiful moment

Swearengen saying "come on Tom" quietly to himself and then hooting for him when he made it because he just couldn't help himself always made me smile. Al and Tom being buddies was a great part of the show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are you talking about when they shot Wallace?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

This metaphor falls completely apart because Richardson actually was a simpleton and Artoo is smarter than Threepio.

Reminder that 3PO was built by Darth Vader. Man, those movies are stupid.

Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I CAN FEEL THE loving CLICKING OF THE GLEET!

ftfy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"Early 2019" and "Spring 2019" and it's March and there's no release date yet??

June 21st is the last day of spring so I'm willing to wait.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Astroman posted:

Steve the Drunk is a general (of the non friend of the family variety) on Project Blue Book and boy has he aged!

I feel like I'm missing some very important background information here...

Never mind! Thought this was the Schadenfreude thread!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah, he was the the original detective who got the Marie Fontaneux case when she disappeared. They kidnap him in episode 7 and make him confess.

Have they said this is for sure the ending of Deadwood? If this is well received could they restart the series?

Don't you dare put this hope in my heart you son-of-a-bitch. Don't you dare!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Didn't the Westworld set burn up in the fires last year?

I hope so. That show should have ended.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it wrong that I'm hoping it's going to be like a 4 hour movie?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Hopefully it'll be a 12 hour movie. That's pretty long to sit through however, so they could break it into twelve one hour chunks and that'd work.

I like this idea better.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty sure Al was sold to an orphanage when he was a kid and was abused all the time. Don't know if I'd call that a "sophisticated education."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Needed more cowboy roundhouses.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah but on the upside he might forget about John from Cincinnati.

:omarcomin:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Where can one purchase this?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What if Hearst is not at odds with them this time. :monocle:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well, Doc had been charged with grave robbing seven times (can't remember when that was brought up though), so he's at least a bit ghoulish.

Anyways...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BossTweed posted:

Just finished my rewatch. drat do I love all the characters on this show. Still sucks the story with Hurst ended without any justice for Ellsworth. With Hurst back for the movie, I'm not sure if I should hope for him to get his just deserts.

When did you start thinking every wrong has a right Wu?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I'm holed up in a hotel watching the marathon and eagerly anticipating the movie.

If I'm on the West Coast, does it air at 5 or is it delayed three hours?

Overnight in Gayville are ya?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was well worth the 10 year wait. Absolutely perfect. Only thing I would have changed would be cutting the flashbacks out, but my god, just amazing from start to finish.

Belbos Computer posted:

Didn't skip a beat. I'm so glad Milch was able to make it.

Agreed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I know we playfully throw around slurs from the show in this thread in the hopes we all mutually understand we know they're terrible in any other company, but this didn't feel playful. Kindly take it back or remind me when it was said in the show.

Crop-Ear says it to Johnny and Dan when he asks where Al is. Think it was in Requiem for a Gleet. It's also the name of a real place in South Dakota. I'm sorry if it came across like that because it really wasn't my intention.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Roman Reigns posted:

Jane saving Seth was kind of a recreation of how Wild Bill died...except this time Jane was there to save her friend. I really loved how that played out.

Yeah, that was really great. And Bullock finally showing emotion at the very end was great too.