Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

kaworu posted:

This whole conversation has definitely been cool - people who know more about this than me have been very informative and made me want to, well, check out more about how it all went down.

Also, I can't say I'm a *huge* fan of Ken Burns, but I found his documentary series on the Civil War to be fairly decent if you want a general overview of the war... It's certainly not perfect and can be a bit much at times if you're the sort of person who isn't particularly imaginative or easily bored by a lot of talking and slow zoomouts of photographs, heh. It's not like there's any video of what happened, but there are endless photographs in the documentary that are pretty great, and maps and illustrations of how many of the key battles played out.

I'd have to say that it was worth watching if only as a solid and fairly complete record/overview of the major battles and events of the war, plus it's a very nice presentation of a lot of great photographs and gives some solid and varying perspectives on certain events. It's not BAD, it's not even mediocre - it's just not all that exceptional or great. But as it's on Netflx (at least in the USA) it's very available.

I remember watching this a long time ago and was fascinated by it, but I’m wondering if there’s anything you’d recommend above it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Punching her in her obviously fractured skull seemed particularly brutal. You’re not wrong that she didn’t get it much worse than a lot of people on the show but on the other hand it was still pretty harsh.

I still think that Andy Reid getting his eye ripped out by Dan was up there as one of the harsher things in the show as well.

These are two of the stand out moments that made me wince, for different reasons. The Captain/Danfight was just visceral and brutal and the eye ripping was graphic, quick, and brutal.

But it didn't fill me with the sense of dread that the whole Cy/Kristen Bell thing did. She tried to rob him and all, but I think the fact was once she was caught she was defenseless, small, and her fate sealed long before it eventuated. It was drawn out and rather than two people equally in a life or dead struggle this was just sadistic.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

YES!

....got ya boots here, boys.... :shobon:

He's so obviously completely unqualified to be a salesman, it's amazing. But then you have the bit where the guy stomps up and says he doesn't want to wait in line so he'll pay up now and pick them up later, and Bullock quietly takes him aside and explains,"You stand in line like everybody else, got that? :toughguy:"

Same with the guy who turns up with the fake soap scam. Bullock is immediately like “oh yes! I know how to take care of this! I’m good at this!”

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

EB: Be brief
Jane: Be hosed!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

precision posted:

This thread made me realize that they should've gotten Ian McShane to voice Dutch in RDR2

I actually remember thinking that the guy who voices Dutch really seemed to be channeling Powers Boothe in the performance

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

In my first watch through in... I don't know, 5-6 years. I forgot just how god drat angry Steve is all the time. That has to be the angriest man in the world.

Also, speaking of anger ... something I never quite grasped with the show. What exactly is it that has Cy so angry at the beginning of season 2? I gather the main gist of it is that he feels betrayed at Joanie wanting to leave and people organising things behind his back. Seems to bring up a pretty deep seeded hatred of women he has, the "maggots in her eyes" line comes to mind. But is there a particular story behind all this I missed? Sometimes the show's language loses me a bit on the finer details but with Cy so on edge in the early parts of the season I feel like I missed more to the story.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Farnum! Christ knows, he's earned it!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

It's almost here! Christ knows we've earned it!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Doing my first rewatch and god drat I forgot how good this show is. But absolutely lost it at

I apologise...

SHUT THE gently caress UP

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Seth impersonating the Reverend was amazing

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gently caress I forgot just how uncomfortable the scene with Cy and the 2 kid thieves is. I remember how the Dan v Captain fight made me squirm, but this is on par with it and I don't squirm easy from TV/movie scenes.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah thats what really makes it uncomfortable for, the absolute joy Cy is getting from it (and then trying to tell Joanie afterwards that it was all an act).

Which is something I never quite got the first time around - what exactly is the relationship between Cy and Joanie? I didn't quite get what their background was, it seemed way more complex than Al/Trixie

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Al taunting Bullock was better than I remembered - "with you at her ear, among other points of entry". The whole thing had so much tension, absolutely two alphas trying to out-peacock each other. I loved how Al was simultaneously trying to talk strategy with Bullock while also fixing for a fight at the same time.

Also, "the only good woman is one with maggots in her eyes" ... jesus loving christ, Cy :dogstare:

edit: oh, and I almost spit my drink out at this. All Con Stapleton has to do is exist for me to laugh, I don't know what it is about him

thepokey fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 4, 2023

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Jesus Christ, I don't think anyone, anywhere, in any walk of life, whether in fiction or not, is as angry as Steve the Drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

"Farnum: twice measured. Star: once cut. Farnum! Christ knows he's earned it!"