Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So isn't 2020 a pretty lovely map for the Senate too? If I'm not mistaken vulnerable Republican senators = Cordy Gardner(Col), Susan Collins (Maine), and Thom Tillis (North Carolina).

But the Dems also have like 3-4 (at least) vulnerable Senators in coin flip states.

I guess if there's a massive blue wave and the Dems keep building momentum maybe there could be some unexpected gains but if it didn't happen last night I'm struggling to see how it could happen in 2020 unless some Obama-like hope and change savant emerges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

you just gotta make them vulnerable. with appealing leftist policy

Be nice.

Not complaining about last night mind you. But man that Senate map just blows. Hopefully it's better than it looks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

But Pelosi didn't immediately smear her forehead in lambs' blood and start raving incoherently about vengeance, therefore Dems Bad you see

You should probably put winning the Senate out of your mind

I'd settle for just getting it close to a 50/50 split tbh.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Yeah this is why as much as i hated red state democratic senators, we badly needed them: 2020 is a huge inflection point and stuff like voting rights reform and PR/DC statehood are so directly tied to the viability of the Democratic party that they'd probably support those and no Republican, however 'moderate' will. If Tester and Sinema can pull out wins despite being slightly down in the count right now (I have little hope for a Nelson recount but Tester and Sinema aren't dead yet), it might be possible to do this: I think we can swing 52-48. I don't know we can swing 54-46.

It would be interesting to see if Republicans block new supreme court nominees in 2020 assuming a Democrat win. Let's say Dems win 2020, RBG retires a few months later. Do the Republicans have the balls to block the nominee of a newly appointed Democratic president?

Like yeah they did it with Garland but Garland they at least had the (flimsy) excuse of election year blahblah. A new Democratic president with a mandate having their nominees blocked should in theory be really bad optics.

Of course that has never stopped Republicans before so I guess I should expect them to treat a new Democratic President as bad or worse than they did Obama.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

Do you honestly believe Mitch McConnell gives a singular gently caress about optics?

Only in the sense that doing it could politically backfire by firing up Democrat voters and make the 2022 mid terms a headache for Republicans.

But he might decide trying to steal another seat is worth the effort.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jesus, that's just heart breaking. I wanna give that poor guy a hug :(.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Senate looks a whole lot better now than it did on election night. Nelson probably still loses on the recount I'd assume, but with Sinema winning that means the absolute worst case scenario is losing 2 seats. Best would be gaining a seat, but that seems unlikely unless Florida recount somehow comes up roses.

Winning the run-off seems a more realistic hope though and that would mean a net loss of one seat assuming Scott wins Florida.

2020 and 2022 both have many more Republican seats up for grabs than Democrat seats as well. So there's that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fools!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Does anyone doubt that if the Dems impeached Trump and the GOP Senate acquitted him that it would be portrayed as a "win" for Trump in the mainstream media?

It definitely backfired when Republicans tried to do it to Wild Bill so there is some worry there that Trump might get a similar boost if Dems tried and failed to impeach him.

However if I'm not mistaken Clinton was popular even after the scandal and still generally had public support so I'm not sure impeachment was a well liked idea back then to begin with. I could be wrong on that, I was only like 12 back then so my memory isn't the greatest.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Basically everyone agrees that impeachment hurt Republicans in the 1998 midterms. People dispute if it hurt Gore in 2000, or if Gore botched the response to it instead.

Yeah I do remember reading back in 2000 that there were some pundits that argued Gore distancing himself from Clinton actually hurt him in the election.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
All the talk of election fraud and of course it's Republicans who are the ones actually doing it.

Also very interested to see how the media treats Trump posthumously when he eventually shuffles off his mortal coil. Will they be able to maintain the decorum at all costs ideals they love so much? They managed with HW Bush and I am 100% sure they'll find a way to lionize Dubya as well. Trump might be so bad that even the media is unable to say nice things about him though.

I suppose a lot of that will depend on how his presidency ends as well, though. I was pretty young in 94 when Nixon died. Did the media fawn over him despite Watergate? Or did they actually talk about how he was a less than stellar person?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Obama is a good dude, and was a good president. The reason people look to him to help fix this mess is because he is inspirational to many, many people. Hillary Clinton lost the presidency to the guy who hosted The Apprentice. I suspect that is why no one wants her to get involved in fixing this mess. Obama is a man worth following.

Obama was better than most but it's hard to call president who carried out drone assassinations a good person.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I think he looks better with it. Less greasy. :shrug:

Yeah. He looks less like an rear end in a top hat, somehow.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Maybe the public beating Judge Beer took was good because it's left him paralyzed with fear of looking like a conservative hack and he'll occasionally dissent with expected conservative behavior.

Probably not but a man can dream.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Remember that Trump-voting salt-of-the-earth lady PBS did an obsequious interview for, and then viewers noticed her arms were covered in Nazi tattoos.

She said the Stormfront logo on her hand was just her celtic heritage, and the '88' tattoo well stop asking me questions don't you have something better to do.

Welp that settles that, Nazi-tattoo lady can't be a Nazi because she said she wasn't and it's Nazi code they have to tell you they're a Nazi if you ask, just like undercover cops.

She looks like a fat Ronda Rousey

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Has there ever been any real discussion of what this wall would be in reality? Like is this supposed to be a huge rear end 20 foot high wall that spans the entire length of the border? Or is it just sections of the border and remote areas would remain relatively open?

This speaks to my ignorance on the border, but is there currently fencing that runs the entire length or are there open areas? My impression was there are remote areas that are relatively unguarded cause it would be ridiculously expensive to patrol and maintain a thousands of miles long contiguous wall.

If Trump were smart he would get some chunk of funding allocated to his dumb wall project. He builds up an impressive looking section of it, holds a grand ceremony declaring The Wall complete and let's himself and his supporters pretend they won.

Trump wanted Spain to build a wall across the Sahara

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm kinda amazed that Trump hasn't been endlessly tweeting that RBG is unhealthy and old and needs to retire.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Lol if you think he wont just find another toadie to lie

Honestly it is pretty impressive to be obese at his age and not having big health complications. But I guess being rich and having access to the best care probably helps.

With his diet and hatred of exercise it's a miracle he's made it as far as he has. But some people are like that. My grandma lived into her late 70s and she smoked a lot and also drank quite a bit for like 90% of her life.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

hey shitlords, fact-checking is cool and good, and we need more of it, not less

It's good but what I dislike is how there will inevitably be some media outlet spinning it as a both sides make mistakes and are wrong sometimes kinda deal when obviously the GOP lies and is wrong 1000000000 times more than the Democrats are when what the media really should be doing is holding the GOP's feet to the fire for their constant bullshit. Sure, do it to the Democrats too, but don't pretend both sides offend equally, because they don't. Not remotely.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Given Trump's love of fast food he probably bought all that just so he could eat a gently caress load of it himself.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6sS7TJl.mp4

if i could make this the thread topic i would, so loving hard

Man, gently caress tongs for things that don't need tongs. If I'm grabbing some pizza or some tortilla chips in a buffet line, I'm just grabbin that poo poo. And if someone wants to ocd about cleanliness they can but I wash my hands dog, you're fine.

I think there was a Curb Your Enthusiasm moment about this in the recent season so I guess I'm partially Larry David.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

Well, at any buffet I've been to it doesn't have tongs for pizza, it's that triangular flat scoop thing.

This:

That's fine.

But tongs for chips I've definitely seen a lot. And that definitely sucks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Listen, I know people hate it when bill mitchell is posted in this thread but I can't stop loving laughing at this tweet

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1089336108842999808

USPOL: Trump's Intuitive Mind is a Supercomputer

His brain is a stupid computer

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
so if President walls declared a wallmergency wouldn't the lawsuits from that not come close to resolving before the 2020 election anyways? What would even be the point?

Not that anything he does has much of a point since he's real dumb

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

I assume that 73% disapproval rate with Republicans is for the BABY KILLING, not the blackface/KKK stuff

They're probably mad he even admitted it was a mistake

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The whole fake illness thing seems pretty prevalent in court these days. There's Manafort with the cane and I recall reading just last year about the East Area Rapist showing up to court in a wheel chair and looking as haggard as he possibly could.

I mean I guess it's always been a tactic and I'm just noticing it more lately but it's pretty shameless. Of course shame is the last thing a lot of any these :crimes: people feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

As with all things US, it's probably :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

Pretty much. Unless our Airlines have definitive proof that the 737 Max is unsafe they'll keep flying it because they don't want to lose money by having to ground or replace those planes.