Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

because it gets them paid

people have this persistent belief that the democratic leadership is just ignorant when in fact they're doing their jobs, i.e., the thing that gets them paid

when pelosi talks about bipartisanship and returning to the status quo she's talking to her employers, not to you

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/study-congress-overestimates-the-publics-conservatism.html

The data suggests that our politicians are genuinely hilariously out of touch, but sincerely so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Withnail posted:

The rush to figure out if a mass shooting can somehow enforce your sociopolitical ideology is pretty loving disgusting.

I agree, it should have been enforced decades ago. Could have saved a lot of lives.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's crazy I know, but it's possible for

A) Hillary is a mediocre candidate and we can (and should) do better

And

B) Hillary's loss was not decisive by any means

To simultaneously be true!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well sure, they very obviously don't understand it because it really seems like a literal case of that word not meaning what they think it means. Unless they rabidly object to someone calling for socioeconomic analysis from a materialist perspective coloured by egalitarian 19th century german philosophy, I dunno maybe I just misunderstood the comic

The right has been using Marxism as a pejorative for anything vaguely leftist for like 60 years.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sinema is poo poo, in no small part because AZ is poo poo. It is simultaneously true that we’re objectively, materially better off that she won rather than McSally.

It’s really not that hard.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Thermal Anomaly posted:

That's weird for sure but I would blame the adults in the room not the six-year-old

It’s not really a statement of blame, it’s an observation on what the six year old is being conditioned to do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

AOC sounds great but she hasnt done anything. Obama was very fresh and look how that turned out...

While true, that didn’t really have anything to do with Obamas “lack of experience” it had to do with his actual ideological convictions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Are you actually holing the benefit of the doubt that white Americans with any amount of wealth aren't racist until proven otherwise?

No you're right, we should be like Republicans and just assume what we are predisposed to believe is true in the absence of meaningful evidence.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Isn’t “this chaos presents opportunity” textbook accelerationism?

It’s also JRPG villain philosophy so

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm a little late again on the McCaskill/AOC tweets, but I find McCaskill's response especially infuriating not because of how patronizing it sounds (it does), but because it underestimates the power of oratory in politics.

Anyone who's read the Presidents thread (my apologies) sees me say this over and over, but the power of good rhetoric is never to be underestimated. More than anything else--more than any single piece of legislation--it's how our leaders show us they are listening. Whether it was Abraham Lincoln telling us that a house divided against itself could not stand, FDR telling us that we had nothing to fear but fear itself, or JFK telling us to ask not what our country could do for us but rather what we could do for our country, the greatest rhetoric is the stuff that sticks with us. Those words give us something to hold on to--something tangible to remember those moments in history by.

McCaskill pissing all over AOC because she grasps the power of great oratory just makes me mad.

The more pertinent problem with McCaskill's point is you never get results if you dismiss an outcome as impossible to even pursue from the start. Were African Americans who struggled, largely in vain, for civil rights pre-CRM wasting their time? No they loving weren't! You don't GET to the CRM without all the blood sweat and tears from the decades prior! You have to try when it's impossible to make it possible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm actually 100% right about this. Those cards "the power nine" are all part of the Reserved List which is the only reason they haven't been reprinted. Like I said, a list that Wizards came up with 20 years ago and said they wouldn't reprint for no reason. There is another card Sol Ring that is just as powerful as Black Lotus but has been reprinted about 20 times because it's not on that list.

The reserve list is why it can’t be reprinted. Black Lotus is banned in both Legacy and Commander however, so yes it’s obviously overpowered as well and this is why it would not be reprinted if the reserve list was not a consideration.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

inignot posted:

I can't speak for all straight white dudes (also, when did that become synonymous with contemptible right wing mouth-breather?), but I find that identity politics has descended into parody. It seems like a cheap pop topic that do nothing milquetoast centrist corporate Democrats will pull out to look progressive while doing nothing that challenges anything. Example, over the summer the DNC held a meeting in which they 1)mildly reduced the role of super delegates in subverting the will of primary voters 2) adopted non binary gender language in their charter.

If I'm an rear end in a top hat for rating health care for all, progressive taxation, increasing the minimum wage, stronger unions, reduced military hegemony, ending the drug war, ending mass incarceration, ending reliance on fossil fuels, comprehensive immigration reform, increasing the size of the house of representatives, ending the filibuster, statehood for DC & Puerto Rico, etc; over whatever pet issue the lesbian left handed albino dwarves of partially Aleutian descent are on about this week, then I'll be the rear end in a top hat.

And so in conclusion, it's selfish for Korean women to demand better conditions/gender equality when obviously liberation from Japan will mean liberation for ALL Koreans. They should really just be quiet and trust that their betters will take care of them once the struggle is over.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

They look like they're about to pass anti-mutant legislation and declare a man hunt for the X-Men.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

selec posted:

I'd say it's more like I don't care too much what your opinion of me is, because if I did, I could make a lot of friends and jokes by being a boring milktoast liberal in this thread. I refuse to do that.

But I also think it's kinda shocking how quick folks are to retreat to stereotypes about the people they've decided they hate. I mean, I am disappointed. I don't know why I should be, but I kinda guess I just had my sense of the willingness to look at poo poo and accept the complications of humanity that I projected onto this thread shaken.

All human lives have value, is what I'm saying, and the essential dignity of people who are good people, who are decent contributors to their community, is now subject to a set of ever-tightening purity tests. Not the recipe for a big tent or mass movement. I feel let down, I guess. Both by my own ability or lack thereof to communicate what I feel is the essential core decency of these people, despite their voting tendencies.

America is wild, and before today, I thought poo poo like "a big problem in America is the inability to communicate across party lines" was loving bullshit, and that it was all going one way. I was naive.

You're an idiot.

Yes, the GOP voters are still human. Yes, they did not get where they were by being inhuman monsters, but rather by understandable forces of cultural pressure and self reinforcing community views.

No, that doesn't mean that tthere's any point in trying to win them over. They are simply too far gone. It's worth remembering they're still human, but no we cannot reason with them. They just want to hurt people because they're afraid.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

selec posted:

You didn't read anything, and you don't know anything about humanity either.

Your wife's family wants to control women because they have authoritarian tendencies hope this helps.

I mean it sucks but it is what it is and burying your head in the sand ain't gonna do any good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I'm not saying the media is focusing on her because she's pretty but I am saying it's not because she has good ideas or how great she is at twitter. The media is driven by spite and sensation and she ticks a few boxes for them. The right wing is driving this attention way more than anything she is actually doing deserves and the rest of the idiots are following in their wake.

I think you have the causal relationships a bit mixed up. They are focusing on her because she has good ideas and good communication skills, indirectly. More specifically, the fact that she has those things means she is reaching more people, which makes the right/centrist establishment feel threatened and focus a disproportionate amount of energy into trying to smother her in the cradle.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Super-Id posted:

Looking forward to a future where chuds only eat at Cracker Barrel. Maybe they can just change the name to Racist Cracker Barrel to make things clear for everyone.

Didn’t Cracker Barrel also push back against the chuds for something recently

Edit: :yikes:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

as a white person i feel kind of uncomfortable speculating about whether a black man is or isn't a hotep. just feels off.

I mean broadly speaking you shouldn't

But if someone is a hotep you're probably not gonna need to speculate cuz it ain't subtle

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

I can’t wait until Kamala wins the nomination with strong support from numerous traditional Democratic constituencies, you fuckers attack her mercilessly while supporting an rear end in a top hat leftistbro candidate with no chance of winning who refuses to drop out well into June, then you fuckers don’t vote and Trump wins. Then you all go “lol the Democrats are so bad they can’t even beat Trump”.

People here are gonna vote for anyone who isn’t Trump at the end of the day. The ones you need to persuade are the vulnerable and disaffected. The people for whom voting represents an actual cost benefit analysis, whos votes are being actively repressed, the people for whom it’s difficult to actually even get to a voting location. If you cannot give them a sufficient message of hope to be bothered then guess what that’s a failure of the party not the voter.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

It just seems like she may be misrepresenting the situation. And I don't think it's healthy that when we see a sign that a politician may be misrepresenting what's happening that we don't at the very least raise questions and ask them about it. As I said I think there's a good chance there's a reasonable explanation, but I think it's important to ask for reasons for the discrepancy.

Guys look I love AOC to death, and she's gotten a massive unfair bum rap from the media. But I also think it's our duty to raise concerns when we see them.

I, too, am just asking questions.

Your posts have little to no substance that’s why people are making fun of you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Optimism only leads to disappointment.

When you expect lovely things to happen and they do, it's what you expected. When they don't it's a wonderful surprise. This is what I need to believe to get through my days.

You could also just believe in the truth.

That there never has been or ever will be any "great mattering", that events like the Civil Rights Movement did not just happen all of a sudden but instead were built on decades of blood and sweat and tears and activism. And then it doesn't solve everything but things are still better. It has always been that way. It will always be that way.

Stop believing in dumb fairy tales and start believing in actual change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I’ve actually personally witnessed this. Just look at WoW. The public class discords where people go to find the theory crafting on how to play their class well. Meanwhile in the Demon Hunter class discord there’s a never ending cavalcade of people ironically posting racist memes, some russian dude insisting on referring to gay people as “it” instead of he or she and openly fantasizing about violently murdering and/or torturing said gay people. These same people then post links to other discords with even looser moderation standards.

This poo poo is happening everywhere.