Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've got to say, I'm a bit unhappy with the change of format. I'm sure I'm not alone. I'll give it a chance but I have a feeling this thread will be too busy, less enjoyable for the posters, and more work for the mods. I'm not sure who this change is designed to please. But, let's go forward with it and see I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Winning the house is big and I'm happy about it. But as a FL voter, I'm definitely extremely pissed about the topline results in that state, and concerned about ever having the Senate majority if we're seeing -4 as of last night.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lol what fictional version of Pelosi are we scared of today?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Nazis are marching in the streets and the opposition party barely managed to retake the house, the time for “enjoyable” politics is way over.

Oh shut up you dork you know exactly what I'm saying.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

No. You use the Senate to gerrymander the House districts, and thus depress voter turnout by making it look like nothing matters.

I should have been more clear, sorry.

Lol that's not what happens either and that's not what your original post said at all.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Spot on analysis IMO, Evilweasel.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Your final point about the Senate is well taken, as are the continued complaints that the Senate is anti-democratic. The only thing I'd like to add on is that while the trends are continuing, there's no guarantee that they will continue this way indefinitely. The population exodus out of the rural states can reverse. The CHUDification of rural voters can reverse. I don't have any prescriptive answers for how to make those things happen, besides perhaps continued voting expansion via ballot initiatives. I just always think it's important that whenever we're looking at a "if current trends continue" problem that the current trends aren't guaranteed to continue. I don't remember who posted it, but I read in a D&D thread years ago, if current trends continue this sentence will never end.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Easy Diff posted:

Beto lost to the guy who lost to Trump.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read in D&D. Congratulations!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Also tweetdumps are literally the best thing about these threads. Much better than the garbage takes most of us have.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

They're very different races, but I think it's important to look at why Manchin, Tester (potentially) and Brown (people keep forgetting him but I think he's the most important to look at because he just crushed it while being a pretty solidly good Democrat) cruised to re-election while their states stayed solidly red, but McCaskill/Hetikamp/Donnelly lost, mostly pretty badly.

I don't know enough about the losing candidates to say why they lost but I think a perception of authenticity helped all of the winning ones.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The speaker doesn't have to be a member of the house. For maximum chaos timeline they should make the speaker be Obama.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It's been a day and I'm already convinced that combining the succdem thread with the Trump thread will go down as the biggest mod mistake in d&d history.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Armack posted:

Please let me know if I'm incorrect here, but it seems that the Republicans can pack the Supreme Court starting in January if they hold together. Theoretically, Trump could nominate 30 new Justices, a few GOP senators would balk, the rest vote to nominate, the court arbitrarily decides the constitution allows for Trump to be dictator, the actual text of the document be damned.

You are extremely incorrect lol.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

You guys spend so much time posting about posting and complaining that [x discussion] is occurring instead of just not engaging with posters you don't wish to argue with. It's crazy!

Like this. Stop it.

Lol Lucy and the football again!
:decorum:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what happens when the Supreme Court decided to gerrymander the Senate, thereby eliminating term limits?

:decorum:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why exactly were the threads combined again? The two threads had separate tones and communities and what exactly is supposed to be gained by forcing them together exactly? It's not like D&D has republican or conservative threads. So "light hearted chat about trump thread" and "angry at hilary clinton thread" are about the broadest political spectrum this forum has and both sets of posters are extremely annoyed by the other group and this thread is just going to be infinite complaining forever about that stuff. It's not like having two threads cost extra money or anything.

It's extremely important to some people that we know they don't like Democrats. One of those people became a mod and here we are.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is not hard guys.

Any way to do this in the awful app?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

On topic: what can and should the party do to appeal to rural voters? I think the "move left" answer is too simplistic. I feel like there have to be enough rural people who care about something other than their stupid white supremacy to win over those regions. And learning to win in rural zones is probably easier than abolishing the Senate.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

How was the case quality on the GOP side in Ohio. That could potentially explain some of the Brown/Cordroy disconnect.

That means that there are a pretty large amount of ticket splitters in Ohio too. I thought they were extinct and the only thing that mattered wax turnout, but I think we can drop that hypothesis now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I brought Brown up in the primary thread last week. His stock just rose a bunch but he's also effectively blocked from running since we need that seat.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ripoff posted:

I see people posting “gently caress Kemp”, what other lovely thing did he manage to do in the last, uh, 15 minutes? Is this his team predictably trying to certify he won and avoids a runoff without counting the remaining ballots? Or did he get caught wiping the voting tallies off the servers again?

He doxxed 290k voters.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Just look at how big minimum wage increases just passed in a bunch of rural deep red states. People want stuff that meaningfully improves their lives. That means good jobs, good wages, good affrodable healthcare, strong unions, and generally pretending that rural voters have any value outside of their potential as an input for industry. Yes, that might be difficult because of rural distrust toward Democrats, but that's all the more reason to take it in a progressive populist direction rather than the pro-corporate angle too many centrist Dems like to follow.

I agree that that's necessary, but I don't think it's sufficient.

If there had never been neoliberalism and triangulation, of the party stayed the way it was supposed to be economically, I think that'd be fine but we lost the trust and deservedly so. And as much as I want lovely Dems to suffer and feel bad about losing, the fate of the world depends on Dems getting good then winning.

I just don't know if getting good is enough on its own to win.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What are the Dem policies specifically that rural voters dont like?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think it's the policies that they don't like, it's the candidates. There's too many shitlords like Donnelly or Manchin that are liars and cheats and not enough people like Beto or Gillum that even attempt to connect with people on a human level.

Manchin is a weird example to pick in the discussion of why rurals don't like Dems.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Mostly the social ones. Anything to do with trans rights, that benefits minorities. There's also a lot of regulation hate. Country folk do not like being told that they can't do something. The gun issue is also part of it. I really strongly feel like the gun issue is lost and the democrats need to drop it for 10-20 years. Let that be worked out at the local and state levels. National dems should not touch it.

I hate to say it but I agree with you vis a vis gun control. If Dems have to drop something from their list I'd much rather it be that than racial justice, etc.

I think solving some of our economic problems would help with gun violence anyways. I also think liberals and leftists should be arming themselves right now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

So you think that Dems need to drop the most popular of their positions, huh?

I thought that was M4A?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

So that we can take out jets and tanks and drones with our small arms fire when the war comes?

If and when society collapses, a firearm would be a useful thing to have. No, regular people are not going to beat the army but I really don't trust that anything resembling regular order will be part of our experience in say 2040.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Fulchrum I don't think this is factually correct. According to Gallup, 60% support stricter gun laws, while 70% support Medicare for all.

Still, the point is taken that it's hard to drop a policy that polls at 60%.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Adar posted:

this is your depression talking btw, american society isn't collapsing by 2040

at worst, although the worst case is annoyingly likely, what we're gonna get is something like the English managed decline where they've successfully hosed themselves into irrelevance

Donald Trump is president and we aren't doing poo poo about global warming. I'm not saying society will collapse, but I think it's foolish to be certain it won't.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So how can Dems appeal to rural voters on guns without abandoning gun control? Magazine limits but free hunting rifles for anyone in the countryside?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Phi230 posted:

This is wildly politically illiterate. You are suggesting liberals and leftists are on the same team despite holding mutually exclusive ideology. We may be forced into the same party because of a dysfunctional political system but that is where similarities end. Left wing politics do have a definition and they ard not liberal politics. The only way you can ever call them "left" is relative to the fascist GOP and that is not exactly a high bar

Except these definitions haven't been used in the US with any consistency prior to the last election. 90% of this country still gets confused by "I hate liberals because I'm a leftist," because we've used those words to mean the same thing for like 100 years.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Phi230 posted:

If we toom the leftist position to arm the poor and people of color with public money you'll get the chuds on board with gun control just saying

Do you happen to have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

Look, I've seen like 9 Lucy football posts in this thread so if we can go to that old well I can do the subscribe to your newsletter thing OK.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

If you think this is the future, your version of the Democratic Party is morally bankrupt and a waste of marginalized people's time. We have literal concentration camps for immigrants and Republicans are as we speak trying to kill Roe, social centrism is trash.

Who would you prefer as senator in WV, Joe Manchins, a republican, or this imaginary guy (Joe Manchin with better economics)?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is there a political way out for our country? I keep thinking it's going to come down to violence. I don't want that, I'm not advocating that. But when one side just decides that truth doesn't matter, only power does, it sets us down a path I'm not sure how we escape. I don't know that our divisions can be healed. It's worrying and I don't know where to talk about it or if I'm even supposed to talk about it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Slugworth posted:

I'm not a mathlete, but doing some quick head math, it seems very possible if those 20k votes break for Abrams even a little.

I guarantee you none of those votes are for Abrams, seeing as she was the candidate in a different state.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Wouldn't violence escalate into guerilla-style civil war with nukes potentially involved?

Probably! I don't see how that's escable long term unless we simply lie down for the fascists.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Slugworth posted:

Ha, sorry, early morning brain broke.

It's OK I'm just being lovely, and obviously I'm having my own type of early morning brokebrain

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

sean10mm posted:

This was always true, it just used to be hidden under a veneer of decorum or simply not exposed like it is now by modern media.

What do you think the Jim Crow south was like, which is literally in living memory? Cops killing unarmed black people isn't new, the visibility is. poo poo, the KKK almost literally took over the Indiana state government.

poo poo has always been hosed, you're just less sheltered from it now. The struggle to unfuck America has always been necessary. It's just harder to hide from it now.

This is of course true. I guess it just feels like we're getting closer and closer to armed conflict again.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't know why y'all are complaining about conservatives thinking they can and should try to rush active shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

friendbot2000 posted:

There is a political way out of our country. Start volunteering with your local political party and support progressive candidates. Right now, your vote is not enough to change things. What we need now is your time and within reason, your money. Spend it volunteering, canvassing, phone-banking, raising money for future and current campaigns, and support the DSA. State houses are especially vulnerable when candidates get a whole lot of volunteer support and donations because the federal machine just...doesn't spend on them.

This week:
  • 2 Muslim women won office and will be taking their oath of office on the Quran. (I plan to watch this live because watching Mike Pence touch a Quran is going to be delicious)
  • Several openly gay candidates won office across the country.
  • 13 Black women became state court judges, ousting a whole slew of chuddites from the Texas Courts.
  • 40 Percent of Black men won their right to vote back in Florida.
  • An independent commission was voted in to oversee redistricting in Colorado
  • Weed legalization was passed in multiple states ensuring that POC will no longer be tossed in jail for possession(I mean, granted, coppers will try, but I am taking the victory)
  • Laws protecting transgender people were upheld in MA
  • Districts that had no business being flipped were flipped this election
  • Maryland became the 18th State to allow same-day registration

All of this was done politically. All of this was done through the hard work of everyday people who donated their time and money to make a change. There is a way out. It is to get up off our asses and getting in the trenches to fight the good fight. Trump is a wake-up call. He is what happens when citizens do not protect their democratic rights as citizens through vigilance and action. We bloodied the fascists this week, it is time to keep throwing punches.

Do you really believe the incremental back and forth will eventually defeat the fascists?